The untouchables..the 33 the best ever

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The untouchables..the 33 the best ever

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

hestonap wrote:
hangingfire wrote:
oloye wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:hangingfire, you are spot on..Keshi made sure Chidi Nwanu never played 94 nations cup
Looking for straws to hang on. Now it is the character and not what transpired on the field. A man plays and captains the national team for over a decade and people are debating if he should be in the team of legends. That is why i love CE :lol:
In terms of skill, Chukwu is zillion years ahead of Keshi. Even if Keshi captained the entire world for fifty years, Chukwu is still better than him in every department of football. Again, to compare Odegbami and Finidi is to compare garri with oatmeal. Ten thousand George Finidi + one million Victor Moses cannot match one Segun "Mathematical" Odegbami. Abegi.
My dear brother hangfire where do you live so that I can send specially delivered blows to your head lol

Seriously though we all love chairman Chukwu but damn the big boss at his peak was a significant and very very significant upgrade to the great CCC.

It's like comparing Atari computers to Macs - my brother na God I take beg you, bros it was and is not close O.

I count it as an extreme previlage and blessing to have watched those men in the GWG of Nigeria.... but I no go lie CCC was like a Lada Car while keshi was like a Porsche - the mans football brain and skill was extremely refined.

I won't list West anywhere close to those two men and we know how good West was.

Man we have produced great footballers in that country Gives you an idea how much relative junk we have now.
This is yet another instance of people erring opinions that totally ignore common sense. During a critical period of the SuperEagles development under Westerhoff with Keshi as captain, the said Keshi was benched by Okechukwu. Now, if it seems ridiculous to compare Okechukwu to Chukwu, and I assure you it is, who are you to insist that Keshi was an upgrade to CCC :?: :!:

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
hestonap wrote:
hangingfire wrote:
oloye wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:hangingfire, you are spot on..Keshi made sure Chidi Nwanu never played 94 nations cup
Looking for straws to hang on. Now it is the character and not what transpired on the field. A man plays and captains the national team for over a decade and people are debating if he should be in the team of legends. That is why i love CE :lol:
In terms of skill, Chukwu is zillion years ahead of Keshi. Even if Keshi captained the entire world for fifty years, Chukwu is still better than him in every department of football. Again, to compare Odegbami and Finidi is to compare garri with oatmeal. Ten thousand George Finidi + one million Victor Moses cannot match one Segun "Mathematical" Odegbami. Abegi.
My dear brother hangfire where do you live so that I can send specially delivered blows to your head lol

Seriously though we all love chairman Chukwu but damn the big boss at his peak was a significant and very very significant upgrade to the great CCC.

It's like comparing Atari computers to Macs - my brother na God I take beg you, bros it was and is not close O.

I count it as an extreme previlage and blessing to have watched those men in the GWG of Nigeria.... but I no go lie CCC was like a Lada Car while keshi was like a Porsche - the mans football brain and skill was extremely refined.

I won't list West anywhere close to those two men and we know how good West was.

Man we have produced great footballers in that country Gives you an idea how much relative junk we have now.
This is yet another instance of people erring opinions that totally ignore common sense. During a critical period of the SuperEagles development under Westerhoff with Keshi as captain, the said Keshi was benched by Okechukwu. Now, if it seems ridiculous to compare Okechukwu to Chukwu, and I assure you it is, who are you to insist that Keshi was an upgrade to CCC :?: :!:

Cheers.
TTTK,

While I do not think Keshi was better than CCC, the comparison you give above is questionable. You appear to compare Keshi at the tail end of his carer to Okechukwu at his peak. That is unfair. Would you say that Best Ogedegbe was better than Emma Okala because he benched Okala in 1980?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

oloye wrote:Best eleven and no Keshi or am i missing something here?
My best 11 has to include, Keshi, Muda, Usiyen, Finidi and Jay Jay
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Ezesportsworld wrote:How did I arrive at the number 33?..Chairman Chukwu once told me ' the best team ever will have three players who can play each position at anytime' We are talking about the giants of Nigerian football the 33 the best ever. Nigerian football started in the 1930's and mushroomed into the UK tourist team of 1949 the red devils, Green eagles and the Super Eagles. I saw many players and witnessed so many spectacular moments in Nigerian football and can unequivocally tell you that I saw God play and he was wearing the number 10 jersey for Nigeria. Each player listed here must have won any medal for Nigeria, were the best atleast three years consecutively.
GOALKEEPERS
Emma Okala, Peter Rufai, Emma Enyeama..honourably mentioned..Peter Fregene, Inua Rigogo, IKe Shorunmo
RT Full Backs: Sylvanus Okpala, Yisa Shofoluwe, Tony Igwe.
LF Full backs: Ben Iroha, Celestine Babayaro, Okey Isima.
RT Half backs: Muda Lawal, Sunday OLiseh, Mikel Obi
Center backs: Christian Chkwu, Godwin Achebe, Steven Keshi.
Left half backs: Taribo West, Godwin Odiye, Okey Uche.
Rt Side Midfield: Segun Odegbami, George Finidi, Victor Moses.
Attacking Mid: Aloy Atuegbu, Kanu Nwankwo, Dan Amokachi.
CF : Rashidi Yekini, Thompson Usiyen, Elkanam Onyeali
Roving Mid: JJ Okocha, Henry Nwosu, Haruna Ilerika.
Lf side Mid: Adokie Amasiemaka, Emma Amunike, Chibuzor Ehilegbu.

Honourably mentioned defence: fabian Duru, Dominic Ezeani, Chidi Nwanu, Bright Omokaro, Sam Ojebode, Sunday Eboigbe, Segun OLumudeji, Victor Oduah, Chidi Ordia, Dan Anyiam..
Midfield: Sam Garba Okoye, Paul Hamilton, Albert Onyeanuna, Baby Anieke, Kunle Awesu, Baba #$% Mohammed, Sam Okwaraji, Etim Esin, Mutiu Adepoju.
Strikers:Thunder Balogun, Obafemi Martins, Yakubu Ayegbeni, Sunday Oyarekuah, Kenneth Olayombo, Yakubu Mambo, Titus Okere and Cyril Asoluka, Ekpe Junior, Etim Ewa Henshaw, Pat Ekeji, Humphrey Edobor and Tarila Okoronwata

Best XI Okala, Okpala, Iroha, Chukwu, West, Mikel, Odegbami, Kanu, Yekini, Okocha and Emmanuel Amunike...thats all folks
Where is David Adiele?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
Best XI Okala, Okpala, Iroha, Chukwu, West, Mikel, Odegbami, Kanu, Yekini, Okocha and Emmanuel Amunike...thats all folks
My Best XI will be in a modern 4-2-3-1:

1. Okala

2. Yisa
3. Iroha
4. Keshi
5. Chukwu

6.Okpala
7. Muda Lawal

8. Segun Odegbami
9. Okocha
10. Adokie

11. Usiyen

These are people i saw play.
What an 11!!! I love it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Will put Oliseh because of the 3 up top. They will not track back, so we need more beef in that 2. Still thinking if I can sneak Amunike or Finidi in there.

I might find a place for Amo in the top 3 if I keep the pivot or Muda and Okpala.

Anyhow, this team go win the WC. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote:
hestonap wrote:
hangingfire wrote:
oloye wrote:

Cheers.
TTTK,

While I do not think Keshi was better than CCC, the comparison you give above is questionable. You appear to compare Keshi at the tail end of his carer to Okechukwu at his peak. That is unfair. Would you say that Best Ogedegbe was better than Emma Okala because he benched Okala in 1980?
EII,

First of all, the Okala/Ogedegbe situation was much different from that of Keshi/Okechukwu. Best was picked over Okala for purely political reasons. I was there and it left a bad taste in my mouth that endures to this day. As for Keshi, I really don't think he was past his prime pers se, perhaps near the end of it. At least, Keshi himself, just like Yobo in the recent past, did not believe he was. Indeed, I submit that outside of Okechukwu, you'd be hard pressed to find a Nigerian defender comparable to Keshi at that point in time. The point I'm making is, if he wasn't the absolute best during his era, how can one say he was an upgrade to CCC? Mind you, I am in no way downplaying Keshi's greatness. Could anyone say with a straight face that Mikel is past his prime at 29? Keshi, imho, was in a similar stage of his career :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

TTTK

I saw both CCC and Keshi at their prime and I strongly believe CCC was the better player. Keshi was not a good header of the ball for one and it is hard to identify a weakness in CCC's game. However, I will not judge Keshi's stellar career based on his last years. He was truly a great player.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

hestonap wrote:
hangingfire wrote:
oloye wrote:

Cheers.
Tony,

Keshi post 1992 was well and truly past it. I think his last great performance In the GWG was in Senegal 92. As big a fan as I was - it was difficult to justify picking him in the starting line up from 93 onwards. A combination of injuries, age and the superp re-emergence of Nwanu leading up to the WC meant he was truly done as a starting player for the Eagles.

Okechukwu never benched a fit Keshi. He paired up with Keshi in the latter phase of his Eagles career. Perhaps you mistake him for the late Uche Okafor who did a competent job at Tunisia during CAN in 94.

In the 94 WC qualifiers leading up to then, when Keshi was clearly not fit to start (I speak of the crucial home matches against Algeria and most of the game against CIV) Nigerias experimental starting CD paired Okechukwu and Eguaveon if my memory serves me correctly.

Keshi at his prime in the mid to late 80s for Nigeria was phenomenal. His went way beyond just being a defender or occasional defensive midfielder. He was not just a great defender, you could count on him to initiate attacking moves for the Eagles or indeed pop up to score crucial goals - way beyond just being
a defender. His ability to motivate his team mates was unmatched. Not many Nigerian players commanded that level of influence in the Nigerian game.

I appreciate this is about Impact on the GWG, but there is no better understanding of his influence on the Nigerian game without considering what he did as a pioneering player outside our shores. I am sure you don't need me to expand on that.

While it will unfair to base ones impression on the great CCC on the latter phase of his career or indeed the unfortunate comeback game against Algeria, likewise I would not base my opinion on Keshi on his latter Eagles days.

Perhaps I went overboard and somewhat superfluous in some adjectives used as I am not one to belittle one man in other to raise the profile of another. In my opinion Keshi was a more accomplished footballer that CCC. Obviously, at the end of the day these remain as opinions and we will have to differ.

Yes succeeding generations stand on the shoulders of those before them and to a certain degree Keshi on CCC, but so much of what we take for granted about our Eagles today stem from no small part on the influence of Keshis contribution to the Nigerian game as a footballer.

There were Nigerians who played abroad before him - whether its Useyin, Thunder or indeed Quicksilver but none of those were able to impact so significantly the Nigerian game by opening doors or influencing other footballers to follow a path that ultimately elevated our national team to a different level. For me, the era of the history of the Eagles and Nigerian football reads pre and post Keshi - he is and was that significant!

I know some may arguably find their opinion on him tinted by the latter phase of his Eagles coaching career - but bros for me (in my opinion) when one considers his footballing body of work and lasting influence on the Nigerian game - for good or bad - it's the big boss for me and no one comes close.

Unfortunately on this particular point of discussion I pick him above CCC given the confines of picking a single CD I'd pair both of them as Nigerias greater central defenders if given the privilege.

So apologies if I was somewhat superfluous in my descriptions about the great CCC.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote:TTTK

I saw both CCC and Keshi at their prime and I strongly believe CCC was the better player. Keshi was not a good header of the ball for one and it is hard to identify a weakness in CCC's game. However, I will not judge Keshi's stellar career based on his last years. He was truly a great player.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Just stumbled on this discourse...
And truly SHOCKED it's even up for discussion. :shock:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Dammy wrote:
oloye wrote:
Dammy wrote:My XI

1. Enyeama
2. Okpalla
3. Shofoluwe
4. Mikel
5. Keshi
6. Chukwu
7. Finidi
8. Okocha
9. Yekini
10. Kanu
11. Amunike
Quick question ,what did Kanu win with eagles or how many goals did he score for eagles to make him deserve a shirt over odegbami...let me see his arsenal exploits or may be u23.

The name Kanu is big,but of we are looking at anu data, no way should names like odegbami be missing.
Kanu played at a higher level than Odegbami. It is really unfair to compare those who played in Europe to those who did not. No one knows what the likes of Chukwu, Odegbami or Muda Lawal would have achieved if they played at the highest level i.e. Europe.
Replace Finidi with Odegbami and U have the list...
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Waffiman wrote:
Finidi wasn't better than Odegbami o
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Gotti wrote:

Gotti,

The bone of contention here is that someone claimed that Keshi was an upgrade to CCC. That didn't sit very well with me :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

EII, I concur completely. I alluded to Keshi's diminished influence in later years only to counter the specific contention that he was an upgrade to CCC :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

EII, I concur completely. I alluded to Keshi's diminished influence in later years only to counter the specific contention that he was an upgrade to CCC :!:

Cheers.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

All of you people putting Mikel in defensive midfield have your head buried in Chelsea. None of you can rest easy if Mikel plays at the bottom of a midfield diamond for Nigeria. No Nigerian coach has ever tried it, and none will. Chelsea had a system that made it work...It can't work for Nigeria.

So let's stay conventional....Replace Mikel with Sunday Oliseh. For Nigeria, Mikel competes with Jay Jay...and I for one can't start him ahead of Jay Jay....so Mikel drops to the bench.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Gotti wrote:

I understand why it is a discussion. They were both great players, But IMHO, CCC was greater.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

paj wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Finidi wasn't better than Odegbami o
My point is you have to find a way to accommodate both if you can. Mathematical's starting position is not in doubt.
hangingfire
Egg
Egg

Post by hangingfire »

Waffiman wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I understand why it is a discussion. They were both great players, But IMHO, CCC was greater.

To compare CCC with Stephen Keshi is to me comparing akamu with water. CCC is the akamu, well mixed, delicious and filling. Shikena
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Waffiman wrote:
Ezesportsworld wrote:How did I arrive at the number 33?..Chairman Chukwu once told me ' the best team ever will have three players who can play each position at anytime' We are talking about the giants of Nigerian football the 33 the best ever. Nigerian football started in the 1930's and mushroomed into the UK tourist team of 1949 the red devils, Green eagles and the Super Eagles. I saw many players and witnessed so many spectacular moments in Nigerian football and can unequivocally tell you that I saw God play and he was wearing the number 10 jersey for Nigeria. Each player listed here must have won any medal for Nigeria, were the best atleast three years consecutively.
GOALKEEPERS
Emma Okala, Peter Rufai, Emma Enyeama..honourably mentioned..Peter Fregene, Inua Rigogo, IKe Shorunmo

Honourably mentioned defence: fabian Duru, Dominic Ezeani, Chidi Nwanu, Bright Omokaro, Sam Ojebode, Sunday Eboigbe, Segun OLumudeji, Victor Oduah, Chidi Ordia, Dan Anyiam..
Midfield: Sam Garba Okoye, Paul Hamilton, Albert Onyeanuna, Baby Anieke, Kunle Awesu, Baba #$% Mohammed, Sam Okwaraji, Etim Esin, Mutiu Adepoju.
Strikers:Thunder Balogun, Obafemi Martins, Yakubu Ayegbeni, Sunday Oyarekuah, Kenneth Olayombo, Yakubu Mambo, Titus Okere and Cyril Asoluka, Ekpe Junior, Etim Ewa Henshaw, Pat Ekeji, Humphrey Edobor and Tarila Okoronwata

Where is David Adiele?
Adiele ko, Adiagbon ni. I blame Ekeji for allowing this kain qiestion... :mad: :cry:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
GOALKEEPERS

Where is David Adiele?
Adiele ko, Adiagbon ni. I blame Ekeji for allowing this kain qiestion... :mad: :cry:

Oloye,

KPOM. Ekeji, is by far, a superior player compared to Adiele. TBH, there are other full backs that one would name ahead of Adiele. I do not even see how Adiele comes into the equation. For me, he was a marginal player and was in fact not among the top three players in the Insurance top team of 1978. Perhaps, I am going far but if you think of it, Moniedafe, Boateng, and Kadiri were the better defenders.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

8 years after, any new names to consider from the present Eagles?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

People who followed the Green Eagles before TV was a household thing and their imaginations eh!

All these based on listening to Ernest Okonkwo on Short Wave radio? Kontinue
Ezesportsworld wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:53 pm How did I arrive at the number 33?..Chairman Chukwu once told me ' the best team ever will have three players who can play each position at anytime' We are talking about the giants of Nigerian football the 33 the best ever. Nigerian football started in the 1930's and mushroomed into the UK tourist team of 1949 the red devils, Green eagles and the Super Eagles. I saw many players and witnessed so many spectacular moments in Nigerian football and can unequivocally tell you that I saw God play and he was wearing the number 10 jersey for Nigeria. Each player listed here must have won any medal for Nigeria, were the best atleast three years consecutively.
GOALKEEPERS

The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Ezesportsworld
Egg
Egg

Post by Ezesportsworld »

Osinmen
www.ezesportsworld.net

Chesapeake sports Academy