2016 Nigerian Premier League.- Rangers Int of Enugu CHAMPS!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
2016 Nigerian Premier League.- Rangers Int of Enugu CHAMPS!!

Post by Enugu II »

Next NPFL season’ll even be better – Dikko
By . | Publish Date: Nov 28 2015 8:34PM | Updated Date: Nov 29 2015 5:30AM
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/sport ... 21729.html

In this interview with Goal, LMC boss Shehu Dikko say they want to provide better broadcast and improved grounds to make the league more attractive to fans and sponsors in order to build on successes recorded in the recently concluded 2014/2015 season.

What are the LMC’s new plans to improve the standard of the NPFL?
Broadcast on television and good infrastructure are the basic drivers we aim to improve upon. Once we can have the broadcast capacity to cover all the games either live or delayed, the league will explode. Second aspect, we will see how we can keep improving on infrastructure; once the stadia are good the fans will be interested to come and watch beautiful football. We (LMC) have to keep working on these because they are drivers of the league that we hope to develop the league. Once the league games, even if they are not shown live, will have to be covered properly. They can be delayed or as an highlights show. With that kind of outlook in the league, the pressure will be on players that they have to perform because they know they are always on TV. This year, despite the resumption of the major foreign leagues, this really didn’t deter our fans from coming to the stadia. Once we are playing good football and the stadia are good, the fans will surely come. That’s why we want to have the Friday games, it is part of the trail so that we can differentiate some of our games. If we can have our star games on Friday, it will be brilliant for everybody because the whole country could be glued on the Friday night games as star matches on Free-To-Air television and cable TV. Thereby, at the weekend everyone will be looking for where to go and watch the league game. By next season, we have to get some of the games to be able to maximize and optimize our exposure for benefit of the fans at home.

How will you assess the performance of the domestic players in the Super Eagles?
It is brilliant. We are all gloating over it. Even the NFF president and ourselves are all gloating over it. Recently we played a crucial World Cup qualifying game, which was a do or die game. And NPFL players were given the chance in the game, two were on the bench and two played. That’s the kind of game people will be looking for the foreign-based players to play. But for the coach to have that confidence in a game that could mar Nigeria’s World Cup dreams. If he messed up that game, it could have been crisis now. But the NPFL players were given the chance to play ahead of their foreign colleagues who were on the bench and they really justified their presence in the game. Kudos to the coach for having the mind to do that and this has really made the NPFL players feel if they are good enough they could get their way into the team. They are not in a hurry to go abroad because they believe when they are good enough to earn their place. Chima Akas started that game though his team was relegated but he was good enough to play for the national team. Once you’re playing good football, no matter what team you play for, you will be recognized. It is really a sign of the progress we have made this season, the competitiveness of the league.

On resumption of the league, is the LMC planning to adopt the European or Caf calender?
About the timing of the league, we are working to see if we can start the league in January or February so that we can make it on time. That’s a debate that is still on, should we go European or maintain our Caf calender? Caf starts continental games in February to November. If we harmonize our calender with Europe, It means any club playing on the continent will play all year round. We are discussing to find out which one is the best, all stakeholders still have to meet to give their take on that. If we start in January, then we will finish in August, that means we are bringing it back a little bit. It is not a single person’s decision, but a collective one.

Is the NFF and LMC prepared for exit of NPFL stars ahead of CHAN 2016?
The players are responsible to know that they are going abroad to play on the account that they are good in the league and have got their exposure through the national team. But their loyalty is to the national team. We have told them that ‘guys cool down and play your CHAN, that won’t hinder your opportunity to play in the Super Eagles if you’re good enough’. After CHAN anything can happen. Who tells you that clubs cannot sign players and loan them back to the league until they are ready to go abroad. I say our league will get to that level where players could be signed by foreign clubs and loaned back here. That’s the best for them and it will be a win win situation for everybody. That’s why the Federation and the LMC want to be involved when they are going out to probably monitor the players and protect the interest of the players and that of the country.

What do you make of NPFL players’ snub for the 2015 Caf Awards?
It is not a snub on the NPFL. That’s the result of our teams not doing well on the continent. We have to all work together to make sure they do well on the continent. That’s why we are going to work together with the teams and the NFF to help the teams going to continental competitions next season to do well. Once you do well you will be noticed and once they do well in CHAN 2016, they will be noticed. That’s why we have to be different about that next season, it is not about the league. Everybody agrees that the Premier League is one of the best in the world, but English clubs don’t do well in UEFA Champions League, which doesn’t mean their league is bad but everyone always wants to play there.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: 2015 Nigerian Premier League -ENYIMBA OF ABA, CHAMPIONS!

Post by ukwala »

EII, Dikko seems to have good ideas. Like I said earlier, more games on TV and more players in the national teams will further enhance the local league. On the calendar issue, I would say; if you play in CAF, then go with CAF calendar. Added advantage is that the local league will have undivided attention during the European off season (May - Aug) which will boost attendance. Finally, protect the local producer from cheap imported products - gradually introduce censorship of TV coverage of European football, the premiership in particular.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:EII, Dikko seems to have good ideas. Like I said earlier, more games on TV and more players in the national teams will further enhance the local league. On the calendar issue, I would say; if you play in CAF, then go with CAF calendar. Added advantage is that the local league will have undivided attention during the European off season (May - Aug) which will boost attendance. Finally, protect the local producer from cheap imported products - gradually introduce censorship of TV coverage of European football, the premiership in particular.
I agree with most of what you have above. I would only caution on censorship. There may be better options in area of scheduling. As for Dikko, he is an idea guy. That was why I had posted stuff on him prior to elections inspite of those who wanted to rubbish him based on ethnocentric interests.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
ukwala wrote:EII, Dikko seems to have good ideas. Like I said earlier, more games on TV and more players in the national teams will further enhance the local league. On the calendar issue, I would say; if you play in CAF, then go with CAF calendar. Added advantage is that the local league will have undivided attention during the European off season (May - Aug) which will boost attendance. Finally, protect the local producer from cheap imported products - gradually introduce censorship of TV coverage of European football, the premiership in particular.
I agree with most of what you have above. I would only caution on censorship. There may be better options in area of scheduling. As for Dikko, he is an idea guy. That was why I had posted stuff on him prior to elections inspite of those who wanted to rubbish him based on ethnocentric interests.
I hear you on censorship. Difficult it may be but I believe it has to be done, albeit gradually. That is why I am not bothered by whatever price DSTV want to charge for their services. At the moment, key games from the major European leagues and highlights from the rest are shown on TV. No way can the local league reach it's full potential with this level of competition.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
I hear you on censorship. Difficult it may be but I believe it has to be done, albeit gradually. That is why I am not bothered by whatever price DSTV want to charge for their services. At the moment, key games from the major European leagues and highlights from the rest are shown on TV. No way can the local league reach it's full potential with this level of competition.
Getting the NPFL on FTA will be the way forward. An highlights show will also be ideal. A form of protection is needed from the competition from European football but I don't think censorship is it. The Friday night games may have problems with power supply occasionally but it is a good idea. DSTV is currently showing the league matches so the price for the low-priced bouquet can still be a bother. :mrgreen:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The NPFL should invest in their own TV channel to show all of the games. Games can be available on demand. They will generate more revenue. They can easily make $100 million in annual revenue. Getting V broadcasting rights in the UK, US, Europe. We do have about 13 million Nigerians in Diaspora. I know I will like the NPFL on my TV screen. You also have advertisement, dvd sales of unique programming and etc. In the US, you have the SEC network, NFL network, Pac 12 network and etc. But they must invest in good equipment and good programming. They must cover all of the teams.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

SHOCKER! Gabros takes back Ifeanyi Ubah FC
05/12/2015 | by gongn | 0
http://www.gongnews.net/shocker-gabros- ... i-ubah-fc/

By Olayinka Elebute

Chief Gabriel Chukwumah, the former first vice-president of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and erstwhile President of Gabros International, Nnewi, has sensationally taken back his club, which transmuted to FC Ifeanyi Ubah.

His club, Gabros FC of Nnewi, was purported to have been bought/taken over by Chief Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah and renamed FC Ifeanyi Ubah, which participated in recently concluded 2014/2015 Nigeria Football season.

In strong worded letters sent to both the NFF and the League Management Company (LMC) and copied to Anambra State Football Association as well as the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

Chief Chukwumah revealed that the celebrated sale/takeover of Gabros International had collapsed due to the inability of Chief Ubah to keep to the terms of agreement.

Chukwumah said: “I want to use this medium to apologise to the teeming fans of Gabros International around the world to forgive me regarding the shady manner with which the issue of sale/take over of the club was handled. I had wanted something better for the club, players and fans but unfortunately I was disappointed because the arrangement couldn’t work the way I expected.

“However, I am assuring the fans that with my experience, I will re-organise the club to regain its lost glory now that I have taken back my club and the management. We shall start competing again as Gabros International,” Chief Chukwuma said in the letter made available to www.gongnews.net

The Nnewi high chief also released the club programme as preparation for 2015/2016 football season hots up.
We scooped that apart from entering into a lu­crative joint partnership/ sponsorship deal with two top European clubs which will see the club providing eighty percent (80%) of the cost of running the team. Negotiation has also
been opened with a top Argentine coach, Marios Rodriguez to tinker the team for the coming season while former Ekiti United coach, Innocent Agbana, had been contacted to work as assistant to the South American coach.

Chief Chukwumah also said he would be recalling all his players that played for FC Ifeanyi Ubah last season, as they remain proper­ties of Gabros International.

“I formed this club and have laboured over the years spending billions of my hard earned money to keep the club afloat, from playing in the old professional division one to when we were relegated to the lower division down to amateur league and then to gaining successive promotion back to the Premier League. I will never sit back and watch the club slipped into oblivion.”

Chief Chukwumah went further to invite all talented super players between the ages of 17-22 who has what it takes to compete in the tough Nigeria Premier League to report for open screening which has been exclusively fixed to commence on Thursday 10th December 2015 under the watchful eyes of coach Agbana. The venue remains Gabros Inter­ national Stadium, Beverly Hills, Nnewi in Anambra State.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:
SHOCKER! Gabros takes back Ifeanyi Ubah FC
05/12/2015 | by gongn | 0
http://www.gongnews.net/shocker-gabros- ... i-ubah-fc/

By Olayinka Elebute

Chief Gabriel Chukwumah, the former first vice-president of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and erstwhile President of Gabros International, Nnewi, has sensationally taken back his club, which transmuted to FC Ifeanyi Ubah.

His club, Gabros FC of Nnewi, was purported to have been bought/taken over by Chief Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah and renamed FC Ifeanyi Ubah, which participated in recently concluded 2014/2015 Nigeria Football season.

In strong worded letters sent to both the NFF and the League Management Company (LMC) and
copied to Anambra State Football Association as well as the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC).

Chief Chukwumah revealed that the celebrated sale/takeover of Gabros International had collapsed
due to the inability of Chief Ubah to keep to the terms of agreement.

Chukwumah said: “I want to use this medium to apologise to the teeming fans of Gabros
International around the world to forgive me regarding the shady manner with which the issue of
sale/take over of the club was handled. I had wanted something better for the club, players and fans
but unfortunately I was disappointed because the arrangement couldn’t work the way I expected.

“However, I am assuring the fans that with my experience, I will re-organise the club to regain its lost glory now that I have taken back my club and the management. We shall start competing again
as Gabros International,” Chief Chukwuma said in the letter made available to
http://www.gongnews.net
The Nnewi high chief also released the club programme as preparation for 2015/2016 football season hots up.
We scooped that apart from entering into a lu­crative joint partnership/ sponsorship deal with two top European clubs which will see the club providing eighty percent (80%) of the cost of running the
team. Negotiation has also been opened with a top Argentine coach, Marios Rodriguez to tinker the team for the coming season while former Ekiti United coach, Innocent Agbana, had been contacted to work as assistant to the South American coach.

Chief Chukwumah also said he would be recalling all his players that played for FC Ifeanyi Ubah last season, as they remain proper­ties of Gabros International.
“I formed this club and have laboured over the years spending billions of my hard earned money to keep the club afloat, from playing in the old professional division one to when we were relegated to the lower division down to amateur league and then to gaining successive promotion back to the Premier League. I will never sit back and watch the club slipped into oblivion.”

Chief Chukwumah went further to invite all talented super players between the ages of 17-22 who has what it takes to compete in the tough Nigeria Premier League to report for open screening which has been exclusively fixed to commence on Thursday 10th December 2015 under the watchful eyes of coach Agbana. The venue remains Gabros Inter­ national Stadium, Beverly Hills, Nnewi in Anambra
State.
We are never short of comedy in Naija!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala,

Na real wa o! Did Ubah think that he could just hijack the team? Now it will be a fight as Ubah is sure to reply. The road leads to the court....
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

What about the 100 million Naira that was used to settle the debts at the club.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
2016 Nigerian Premier League: Pre-Season

Post by Enugu II »

Sunshine Stars, Akwa United unveil new coaches
14 December 2015, 21:38
http://www.news24.com.ng/Sport/Football ... s-20151214

Lagos – Sunshine Stars and Akwa United in two separate ceremonies on Monday unveiled new coaches to lead the clubs in 2016.

Sunshine Stars FC unveiled Samson Unuanel as the new coach of the club in Akure, while Akwa United unveiled Maurice Cooreman as the new coach of the club.

Unuanel, a former Kwara United handler now succeeds Kennedy Boboye who parted ways with the Akure Gunners in November.

Also read: Sunshine Stars in talk with Unuanel

“I came here and was marvelled. I want to say this is the best club in Nigeria. I was trained in Europe and know the standard.

“It's an honour to be in your midst. I'm a man that wants more. I'm promising you that with your support, come this time next year we will celebrate with trophy.” He said at the unveiling.

Sunshine finished 6th place at the end of the Glo Nigerian Premier League 2014/15 season.

Cooreman, a former Warri Wolves coach will now replace Zachary Baraje who led the club to win the 2015 Federation Cup.

The Belgian, will now prepare Akwa United for three competitions - the CAF Confederation Cup, the Glo Premier League and the Federation Cup all in 2016.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote:

Lagos – Sunshine Stars and Akwa United in two separate ceremonies on Monday unveiled new coaches to lead the clubs in 2016.

Sunshine Stars FC unveiled Samson Unuanel as the new coach of the club in Akure, while Akwa United unveiled Maurice Cooreman as the new coach of the club.

Unuanel, a former Kwara United handler now succeeds Kennedy Boboye who parted ways with the Akure Gunners in November.

“I came here and was marvelled. I want to say this is the best club in Nigeria. I was trained in Europe and know the standard.

“It's an honour to be in your midst. I'm a man that wants more. I'm promising you that with your support, come this time next year we will celebrate with trophy.” He said at the unveiling.

Sunshine finished 6th place at the end of the Glo Nigerian Premier League 2014/15 season.

Cooreman, a former Warri Wolves coach will now replace Zachary Baraje who led the club to win the 2015 Federation Cup.

The Belgian, will now prepare Akwa United for three competitions - the CAF Confederation Cup, the Glo Premier League and the Federation Cup all in 2016.
Maurice Cooreman, the journey man that wanted to take Keshi's job :tic:. Gained promotion to NPFL with Ikorodu United (owned by DSTV). Let's see what he can do with Akwa Utd. Unuanel I have never heard of.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Maurice Cooreman, the journey man that wanted to take Keshi's job :tic:. Gained promotion to NPFL with Ikorodu United (owned by DSTV). Let's see what he can do with Akwa Utd. Unuanel I have never heard of.
Partially owned by DSTV. Nollywood people also have investment in Ikorodu United.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala,

Maurice Cooremans has been quite effective with the teams he coached in the past and most recently with Ikorodu. I will classify him as one of the top coaches in the country and I expect him to do well with Akwa United especially with improved officiating in the league. Unanuel has been around for quite some time now but his results have not been earth shaking, if you ask me.
ukwala wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

IMAMA BEATS EMORDI TO RANGERS TOP POST
http://africanfootball.com/news/596259/ ... s-top-post
by Staff Reporter
Thursday Dec 24, 2015. 11:52

Rangers have reappointed coach Imama Amapakabo ahead of Okey Emordi for the new Nigeria league season next month.

Rangers board member Steve Oruruo disclosed that Amapakabo was picked ahead of Emordi, who was sacked halfway through last season by Kano Pillars

“Amapakabo and Emordi were considered to lead Rangers next season and after deliberations, Imama (Amapakabo) was chosen,” he said.

“He will name his assistant, while the club will interview the other coaches for the team on December 29.”

However, he did not disclose further details of the coach’s new contract.

This announcement thus puts to rest speculations that Emordi was set for another return to ‘The Flying Antelopes’.

Last season, Amapakabo guided Rangers to finish 12th on the league table with 49 points from 38 matches after he took over from Kelechi Emeteole in mid-season.
ukwala
Egg
Egg
Re: 2016 Nigerian Premier League: Pre-Season

Post by ukwala »

EII, I am not convinced that Imama has what it takes to move Rangers to the next level. With the calibre of players they have, Rangers should never have been in a relegation dogfight. On the other hand, Emordi led Rangers to second place in the league in 2012, their highest placing in recent times. He however lost his way a bit with Kano Pillars this past season after winning the league title with them the previous season (2014). For me, Emordi trumps Imama on all fronts. Perhaps other factors like pay and submissiveness swung this decision in Imama's favour.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

ukwala wrote: For me, Emordi trumps Imama on all fronts. Perhaps other factors like pay and submissiveness swung this decision in Imama's favour.
That's the answer right there in bold.

Btw, what happened to Duke Udi?
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Dare Ojo MF, Afelokhai GK (sp) and Chisom Chikatara FW have joined Enyimba.

Sokari joins Tunisian club for $400K. $1.2 million price tag placed on Etebo. Our best players are leaving again.

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Toxicarrow wrote:
ukwala wrote: For me, Emordi trumps Imama on all fronts. Perhaps other factors like pay and submissiveness swung this decision in Imama's favour.
That's the answer right there in bold.

Btw, what happened to Duke Udi?
As far as i know, he is still chief coach, under Technical Adviser Imama. Apparently, Rangers have a TA as the head of the coaching crew with a chief coach, goalkeeping coach and other junior coaches under him. Imama was chief coach under TA Kelechi Emeteole and took over when Emeteole was sacked.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu Rangers Release Agbim, Okafor, 15 Others

Enugu Rangers have finally parted company with former home-based Super Eagles goalkeepr and captain, Chigozie Agbim, Completesportsnigeria.com reports
Also asked to look for job elsewhere is former U-17 and Flying Eagles goalkeeper, Uche Okafor.

http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/en ... sWuRIrt.99
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

ukwala wrote:EII, I am not convinced that Imama has what it takes to move Rangers to the next level. With the calibre of players they have, Rangers should never have been in a relegation dogfight. On the other hand, Emordi led Rangers to second place in the league in 2012, their highest placing in recent times. He however lost his way a bit with Kano Pillars this past season after winning the league title with them the previous season (2014). For me, Emordi trumps Imama on all fronts. Perhaps other factors like pay and submissiveness swung this decision in Imama's favour.
ukwala,

Record wise, there is no comparison. Emordi is by far better than Imama. However,I think this choice is about other things and I actually hoped that Imama will get the job and here is why:

1. The team actually played well under Imama until the Federation Cup shock loss that really put the team in a tailspin to nowhere. Remember, Imama actually moved the team to safety after a dreadful performance under Kelechi Emeteole but every thing came apart after the Fed Cup loss.

2. Emordi produces results but he often wears out his welcome. He is truly old school and rides rough on the players and it borders on abuse if one is to believe several media reports. In Rangers, he had run-ins with players leading to Josiah Maduabuchi relating a situation where he ordered Josiah to "kneel down". Man, if that really is true then Emordi is really over the top. In Kano, it got to a point that the players reportedly despised the guy.

I really believe that Imama should be given a chance. The guy was recently involved in obtaining the CAF "B" coaching license recently and I believe he is committed to his craft and is an emotionally attached guy who can produce results, especially with the league moving towards fair officiating. That is just my tuppence.

What the team needs though is to retain the core of their youngsters and recruit emerging youth from the area. They should not go about recruiting name veterans that are headed for retirement.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

EII, fair enough. When I made reference to submissiveness as one of the factors that may have swung the decision Imama's way, it was because of Emordi's brashness. I just feel that Imama is not yet there but this season will tell his pedigree. Amongst the new generation of coaches, I would rate Sunshine Star's former coach Kennedy Boboye higher than Imama.
On the squad, Rangers have released 17 players and retained only 18. I can only imagine that they have plans for massive recruitment of new blood!! A mixture of old and new would do.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

They should consider using drones for camera coverage