EPL 2016-2017 season, my view

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: EPL 2016-2017 season, my view

Post by Coach »

It's between London and an intruder. The rest are merely Europeans in a steeple chase. Not one of them a Kenyan.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

benteke wrote:1. Chelsea ..........52pts
2. Spurs .............45pts
3. Liverpool .......45pts
4. Arsenal ..........44pts

5. City ................42pts
6. United ............40pts

Only 5 points separate teams between position 2. and pos. 6

Top 4 fight will be very messy, and the title race is still very open to an extent.
I think both Manchester will miss out of top 4 unless City bounce back fast.Next game is against a well drilled Spurs team..
Draw will be a fair result for us gunners but i see Spurs victory.
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

What a weekend we had. The premier league is starting to shape up and top 6 teams are getting even closer, except for the gap from position one. The next three weekends will give us an indication of who will finish top 4

Chelsea are playing Liverpool away and Arsenal at home in the next three games. If they manage to win both or just one of those, they may be difficult to stop from there. The main issue will be Diego Costa's availability. They may have won by a large margin in his absence but he will be the deciding factor in games to come. If he is not available, Spurs may sneak in for their first title in a while.

Spurs are playing like they need this championship after the injury to Dele Ali at the end of last season led to them losing the final deciding games. The team is more mature and seasoned now. Don't be surprised if they pip Chelsea to the finishing line. They have a wonderful first 11 and are better than most teams pound for pound, and they have a terrific bench, with Song, Lamela and the likes.
They are playing City next and Pep may be in for another baptism of fire. Thereafter they have an easier run-in than most top 6 teams

The Kop have the beating of most top 6 teams due to their high pressing game. They have Chelsea in the next two games and it would be interesting to see if Klopp can utilize the brilliance of the returning Coutinho to thread balls behind Chelsea's fullbacks. Their Midfielders are very hard working as Pogba and co found out this weekend. We will see how they fare against Kante and co. The absence of Mane may mean they struggle a bit to put away chances, however they will hold fort until he returns. We expect them to be top three, unless some catastrophe strikes

Arsenal are doing very well, but I just see them as being just that...Arsenal. Fighting to be top four and no real ambition to push for the title. They have some tough games coming, but they always manage to beat the smaller teams and ensure a top 4 finish. Pep and Mourinho's teams may not have enough steam to pip Arsenal into top 4. Come end of the season, they will sell top performers again, and rebuild.

The citizens are in for a rough few months. The money-people will realize after the season that it was a mistake to get rid of the engineer. The team has a few tough games ahead and with that goal keeper and with him playing Zabaleta as a midfielder, that will give him more scores like the one this past weekend. City have kept more than 50% possession in all their games, but conceded from the first shot in four of their last 7 games. (Hart, must be enjoying this).
This is one squad that is as good as Spurs on paper but Guardiola needs to know how to use them in this league. I see Guardiola ending up outside the top 4 and not making Champions league. However, they will be stuck with him until the second season when he will learn to play to his players' strengths and maybe get a respectable position. The cost of firing him will be very high again...

The Red Devils are starting to play like they need to win every game. It is however too late for a title push and maybe even too late for a top four finish. Mourinho has found a balance that works in Midfield, but Pogba need to learn to change his game based on the opponent. Playing against the Kop meant he needed to play more one-twos than to try on hog the ball and shield it from the opponent. He lost more balls trying that a countless times and he kept trying to do the same with the same end product...insanity??? Stupidity??? immaturity?? Mourinho needs to help this boy improve his decision making and link up play in the difficult games. If all goes well, Man united may be in the top 4 after the next three games. Will they have enough in the tank to fight and stay there??

I need to talk about the Toffees this week. They have bought well this transfer window. I am however more impressed with the young boys in the team.....18 yr old Tom Davies ran rings around Toure and Zabaleta. Lookman looks like a solid buy also and their young Defender Holgate was solid in defence. With the addition of Schneiderlin, Everton may push for top 6 and even top 4. We will see how they perform in the next few games after the transfer window
The Game Mastermind Has Spoken. May all that have understanding Listen!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I agree that when the Spurs 11 is fit - no team can match up with them as long as the refereeing is right.

I disagree wrt Tottenham's bench strength. The Spurs bench is not good enough for the run. Winning the EPL will depend on keeping the first 11 fit. The weakness is lack of depth in the Eriksen role, the forward and the central midfield roles.

Forwards: Janssen is not good enough this season. Son is inconsistent. I would hope that Poch gives Shayon Harrison a chance but he hasnt done so. I really hope he does so in the cup game.

Central Midfield: We are light in personnel. The development of Winks is key in the CM role. However if two of the key CMs get injured - who is the backup? The CMs at Spurs are Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Eriksen (can fill in there), Dier (can fill in there), Onomah (too young and not ready IMHO) and Alli (do you really want him there). IMHO Spurs need to loan in a CM in that position.

Eriksen: No one can do what he does for Spurs. There is no backup. I hear names like Coric, Isco etc ....

The strong areas are defence, goal keeping and the wings. We are well covered there.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

kajifu wrote:

Top 4 fight will be very messy, and the title race is still very open to an extent.
I think both Manchester will miss out of top 4 unless City bounce back fast.Next game is against a well drilled Spurs team..
Too early to call. The league is not decided in January. 51 points are still up for grabs. Ignore Pep's idiotic attempt at removing pressure from him and his side.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

Cristao II wrote:I agree that when the Spurs 11 is fit - no team can match up with them as long as the refereeing is right.

I disagree wrt Tottenham's bench strength. The Spurs bench is not good enough for the run. Winning the EPL will depend on keeping the first 11 fit. The weakness is lack of depth in the Eriksen role, the forward and the central midfield roles.

Forwards: Janssen is not good enough this season. Son is inconsistent. I would hope that Poch gives Shayon Harrison a chance but he hasnt done so. I really hope he does so in the cup game.

Central Midfield: We are light in personnel. The development of Winks is key in the CM role. However if two of the key CMs get injured - who is the backup? The CMs at Spurs are Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Eriksen (can fill in there), Dier (can fill in there), Onomah (too young and not ready IMHO) and Alli (do you really want him there). IMHO Spurs need to loan in a CM in that position.

Eriksen: No one can do what he does for Spurs. There is no backup. I hear names like Coric, Isco etc ....

The strong areas are defence, goal keeping and the wings. We are well covered there.
True that, Jenssen may not be as good as Kane, but he did very well in the games Kane was injured. He is still young and will grow into the role. CM, Wanyama, Dembele, Dier, Eriksen, Sissoko, Masson and Alli, means Spurs is spoiled for choices in this area. Don't forget Carroll (If he is still there). Spurs is only matched by Liverpool, City and yes West Ham is this area. The rest are too thin there. Let's just hope you guys stay fit and not get injuries at a critical time. I still maintain, you are the only team that looks like they can challenge Chelsea for top spot
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Cristao II wrote:
kajifu wrote:

Too early to call. The league is not decided in January. 51 points are still up for grabs. Ignore Pep's idiotic attempt at removing pressure from him and his side.
If you watch how the top 6 playing the is little room for error unless you play each other.Yes too early to call but when you look at the top 6 both Manchester club can't match their London rivals.Liverpool is the one team as thin as they are they are doing a wonderful job.If they stay in top 4 after January they will be a threat as most of their players will be back.They are missing key players and i dont see any of the London club finish outside top 4.I want both Manchester finish outside top 4.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

kajifu wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
kajifu wrote:

If you watch how the top 6 playing the is little room for error unless you play each other.Yes too early to call but when you look at the top 6 both Manchester club can't match their London rivals.Liverpool is the one team as thin as they are they are doing a wonderful job.If they stay in top 4 after January they will be a threat as most of their players will be back.They are missing key players and i dont see any of the London club finish outside top 4.I want both Manchester finish outside top 4.
I dont think Liverpool has European football. It is still far too early to call out the order. There are still 17 games to play. A lot could happen.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

On the two Manchester clubs:

1) City will be fine when they get Fernando and Fernandinho back in the team. Those two are very athletic lads that can avoid the team getting run ragged like they did yesterday against Everton. I am surprised they did not play a scrapper like Fabian Delph yesterday. Instead Pep went for the cruel and unusual experiment of playing 32 yo RB Zabaleta in CM. Zabaleta is not Lahm who can effortlessly move from RB to CM. City will be fine if they play the Fernands in CM to release the twinkle toes (Silva, Sterling, KDB, Sane) to do their stuff.

2) Pogba's performance yesterday was shocking. He is very fortunate he was not subbed off as he was the worst performing player for Man Utd. If he was not the most expensive player in the world, he would get dropped for the next game. Very talented player but he needs more maturity and judgment to exercise when/where is good to show off his skills. Trying to take on two players instead of playing a simple 5 yard pass is not a good idea against Liverpool.

Side note - Chelsea have made the fewest changes to their staring 11 this season and are top. Just like last season's champs Leicester...
mastermind 17 wrote:
The citizens are in for a rough few months. The money-people will realize after the season that it was a mistake to get rid of the engineer. The team has a few tough games ahead and with that goal keeper and with him playing Zabaleta as a midfielder, that will give him more scores like the one this past weekend. City have kept more than 50% possession in all their games, but conceded from the first shot in four of their last 7 games. (Hart, must be enjoying this).
This is one squad that is as good as Spurs on paper but Guardiola needs to know how to use them in this league. I see Guardiola ending up outside the top 4 and not making Champions league. However, they will be stuck with him until the second season when he will learn to play to his players' strengths and maybe get a respectable position. The cost of firing him will be very high again...

The Red Devils are starting to play like they need to win every game. It is however too late for a title push and maybe even too late for a top four finish. Mourinho has found a balance that works in Midfield, but Pogba need to learn to change his game based on the opponent. Playing against the Kop meant he needed to play more one-twos than to try on hog the ball and shield it from the opponent. He lost more balls trying that a countless times and he kept trying to do the same with the same end product...insanity??? Stupidity??? immaturity?? Mourinho needs to help this boy improve his decision making and link up play in the difficult games. If all goes well, Man united may be in the top 4 after the next three games. Will they have enough in the tank to fight and stay there??
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

My brother, City's problem is not injuries or unavailability of players, it is rather the Coach, who continues to fail to choose the right players for the games. The chopping and changing has left most of his players short of confidence and there is no consistency in what he is doing

wiseone wrote:On the two Manchester clubs:

1) City will be fine when they get Fernando and Fernandinho back in the team. Those two are very athletic lads that can avoid the team getting run ragged like they did yesterday against Everton. I am surprised they did not play a scrapper like Fabian Delph yesterday. Instead Pep went for the cruel and unusual experiment of playing 32 yo RB Zabaleta in CM. Zabaleta is not Lahm who can effortlessly move from RB to CM. City will be fine if they play the Fernands in CM to release the twinkle toes (Silva, Sterling, KDB, Sane) to do their stuff.

2) Pogba's performance yesterday was shocking. He is very fortunate he was not subbed off as he was the worst performing player for Man Utd. If he was not the most expensive player in the world, he would get dropped for the next game. Very talented player but he needs more maturity and judgment to exercise when/where is good to show off his skills. Trying to take on two players instead of playing a simple 5 yard pass is not a good idea against Liverpool.

Side note - Chelsea have made the fewest changes to their staring 11 this season and are top. Just like last season's champs Leicester...
mastermind 17 wrote:

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Top 6 will likely change this week in position
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

mastermind 17 wrote:My brother, City's problem is not injuries or unavailability of players, it is rather the Coach, who continues to fail to choose the right players for the games. The chopping and changing has left most of his players short of confidence and there is no consistency in what he is doing

mastermind 17 wrote:

We are talking as if the gap between City and the others is massive. It is not! They are just 3 points behind 2nd place. Chelsea is also still catchable. City can still recover.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

Cristao II wrote:
mastermind 17 wrote:My brother, City's problem is not injuries or unavailability of players, it is rather the Coach, who continues to fail to choose the right players for the games. The chopping and changing has left most of his players short of confidence and there is no consistency in what he is doing

mastermind 17 wrote:

We are talking as if the gap between City and the others is massive. It is not! They are just 3 points behind 2nd place. Chelsea is also still catchable. City can still recover.
We were just talking of the probability of overtaking the top teams for a championships, given the way they have dropped points recently. The key word here is CAN and it talks of possibility, and all teams in the top 7 still have a mathematical chance of winning the league. Some team's fortunes depend on all other teams losing a lot of games, which is highly unlikely, but still possible given what happened to Arsenal over the years and Spurs last year.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

No one will see them coming, till they're hanging out the bag off her, smashing away at the crease. Fourrrrrrrrr!!!!! #Beloved
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

This weekend very interesting, Stoke vs Manu,
City vs spurs
Liverpool vs Swansea
My beloved vs burnley that is on top form.
Chelsea vs Hulls guarantee 3 points to chelsea.hope Gull come correct
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

As said earlier Swansea is playing too well to go down. They may need some defensive reinforcement but they will stay up.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]mastermind 17[/color] wrote: The Kop have the beating of most top 6 teams due to their high pressing game. They have Chelsea in the next two games and it would be interesting to see if Klopp can utilize the brilliance of the returning Coutinho to thread balls behind Chelsea's fullbacks. Their Midfielders are very hard working as Pogba and co found out this weekend. We will see how they fare against Kante and co. The absence of Mane may mean they struggle a bit to put away chances, however they will hold fort until he returns. We expect them to be top three, unless some catastrophe strikes
Neither you nor anyone else saw Swansea beating up on Liverpool today :D. I'm sure you are going to revise your prediction about them finishing in the top 3 especially if both Manchester clubs win (hope not City though).
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Today Liverpool open yash open a big doubt if they can hold on in top 4.I will be shocked if Chelsea don't beat them though I want them beat Chelsea but they lack ideas see that mane is not a round.
Let's see if stoke can shut Manu down as I feel spurs can do that
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I want Palace to go down.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
mastermind 17
Egg
Egg

Post by mastermind 17 »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]mastermind 17[/color] wrote: The Kop have the beating of most top 6 teams due to their high pressing game. They have Chelsea in the next two games and it would be interesting to see if Klopp can utilize the brilliance of the returning Coutinho to thread balls behind Chelsea's fullbacks. Their Midfielders are very hard working as Pogba and co found out this weekend. We will see how they fare against Kante and co. The absence of Mane may mean they struggle a bit to put away chances, however they will hold fort until he returns. We expect them to be top three, unless some catastrophe strikes
Neither you nor anyone else saw Swansea beating up on Liverpool today :D. I'm sure you are going to revise your prediction about them finishing in the top 3 especially if both Manchester clubs win (hope not City though).
:agree: :agree: True talk, most people did not see that coming, however, that's why the game of football is loved by many. I am still sticking to my predictions though. I pointed above that there is going to be a lot of changes in the Top 6 before end of February. We will see which teams will be in the top 4 by then. I fear for my Red Devils :sad: : :sad: :sad: :sad:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

There is another guy that can play the Eriksen role. His name is Gylfi and he plays for Swansea (also used to play for Spurs). Poch is an admirer of Gylfi and has said he could do a job for Spurs.
Cristao II wrote:I agree that when the Spurs 11 is fit - no team can match up with them as long as the refereeing is right.

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

wiseone wrote:There is another guy that can play the Eriksen role. His name is Gylfi and he plays for Swansea (also used to play for Spurs). Poch is an admirer of Gylfi and has said he could do a job for Spurs.

True. I meant no one within Spurs can do the Eriksen role. Poch does rate Sigurdson.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Spurs need 4 players to be perennial title contenders:

*Another CB to back-up the Belgian duo (Michael Keane of Burnley?).
*Another center forward to back-up Kane (Chicharito would fit Spurs' style with his perpetual motion).
*A genuine, proper winger (not an "inverted wide player") that can dribble (Zaha?)
*A playmaker to back-up Eriksen (Gylfi).

They already have excellent FBs, two monsters in midfield, and two excellent GKs in Lloris and Vorm. Form would start for many EPL teams.
Cristao II wrote: True. I meant no one within Spurs can do the Eriksen role. Poch does rate Sigurdson.