MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL (1-1) FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL (1-1) FT

Post by wiseone »

1) Strange as it seems that Pogba handball was unsurprising. It had been coming. In the 5 minutes before the handball he had an utter nightmatre: misplaced passes, giving the ball away… Carrick was unlucky to be subbed off at half time instead of Pogba. Liverpool's players had clearly been instructed to close Carrick down and harried him like rabid dogs. That said, Carrick coped with it quite well (considering that he is 35 and was being mauled by fit players 10 years younger than him). Pogba had a ‘mare today (and should have been subbed off in the second half too). Very talented player but his carelessness in possession nearly put Liverpool 2-0 up when the score was still 1-0.

2) Andrew Smith's baby face belies the fact that he is capable of some acts of great bastardry. That shirt pull on Firminho was simply :rotf: The most blatant and cynical foul you will ever see right in front of the ref, then he went down with an angelic innocent look on his face. :rotf:

3) Jonesy and Mark Red continue to look good in central defence. Red had a very good game today. So good that Mike Smalling cannot get into the team.

4) Liverpool's manic pressing was really impressive. Ther stamina must be off the charts to press maniacally like that for 90 minutes. I have not seen pressing like that since Bielsa's Bilbao.

5) The next time Fellaini makes a mistake I hope everyone remembers that it was he who made the decisive contribution that led to Man Utd's equaliser (and that it was he who scored Man Utd's second goal a few days ago in a cup semi-final).
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:
Lager-back wrote:
benteke wrote:
felarey wrote:Disappointing draw, game should have been won. Too many wailers but....

We are Manchester United and that's the real deal! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Not too bad.
In the coming weekends we will have the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal playing each other, so United really has to win it next fixtures and soon they will be in the mix with top 4
Stoke away next :smile:
It's no longer the same tough Tony Pulis Stoke, I will be hugely dissapointed if United comes out with anything less than 3 points, especially on a weekend where City and Spurs will be trying to annihilate each other.
The team has no choice but to win, it's becoming urgent :biggrin:
IIRC they beat us last season at the Britannia, or was it the season before. 1st game of the new year

di Maria called in sick.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Last season. Mitigating circumstances though: Depay was playing for Stoke that day:

tfco wrote:IIRC they beat us last season at the Britannia, or was it the season before. 1st game of the new year

di Maria called in sick.
Last edited by wiseone on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

felarey wrote:
txj wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
green4life wrote:
felarey wrote:Those criticizing Herrera failed to see the play. That was a professional foul he was fine with taking one for the team even if a red. Wijnowdumb would have been released one on one with DeGea. Herrera acted like a true professional while Firminho behaved like a dumb thug.
You're on point. Ironically, I thought that firminho should've seen red for retaliating off the ball with the hands to face shove. Conversely, no matter how bad ferrera's professional foul looked - and it looked real bad -it was never a red.

Hands to the face???? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: what game were watching homie???
Herrera has been playing that trick from back in the day in Bilboa. A real low don dirty player...
:roll: Err.... he has no such reputation.

Actually he does....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote:
benteke wrote:
Lager-back wrote:
benteke wrote:
felarey wrote:Disappointing draw, game should have been won. Too many wailers but....

We are Manchester United and that's the real deal! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Not too bad.
In the coming weekends we will have the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal playing each other, so United really has to win it next fixtures and soon they will be in the mix with top 4
Stoke away next :smile:
It's no longer the same tough Tony Pulis Stoke, I will be hugely dissapointed if United comes out with anything less than 3 points, especially on a weekend where City and Spurs will be trying to annihilate each other.
The team has no choice but to win, it's becoming urgent :biggrin:
IIRC they beat us last season at the Britannia, or was it the season before. 1st game of the new year

di Maria called in sick.
It was Season before.
We have to win.
Some teams above Man U still have to face Liverpool at Anfield.
And City vs Liverpool at Etihad will be exciting :drool:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Pogba needs to learn how to adjust his game, sometimes all that is needed is the simple pass, safety first, he does not need to display skills and not be able to back track when he loses the ball, Liverpool came with a plan to close down man united and dont let us settle into our usual play, they nearly did that but of course Zlatan is Zlatan, he knows where the back of the net is, he must be the joint top scorer in the premiership, besides, we missed several chances, the martial miss was really bad, this was a game we could have won and we created several chances, overall I am impressed with our resilience, in the old LVG era, we would have lost the game, our next few games are ones we can win, we have to keep on winning to keep up pressure, I believe we can get the top 4 spots, there is not much difference between the top teams, we have definitely improved
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

forgot to add, Wayne Rooney is finished as a player, we better buy in the summer!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Very disappointed at the draw. Liverpool should have won.

On Goalkeepers: About three games into the season, I shared my thoughts on two goal keepers - Karus (Liverpool) and Bravo (City). At the time, I was of the opinion that two very good coaches - Klopp and Pep had made mistakes in their decisions on Goalkeepers and their intent to play from the GK at all cost. One of the coaches changed the other is still stuck - the results speak today. KLOPP's decision quality and ability to change in the face of convincing evidence is the reason why a Liverpool GK is being talked off as MOM today. #decisions
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

marko wrote:Pogba needs to learn how to adjust his game, sometimes all that is needed is the simple pass, safety first, he does not need to display skills and not be able to back track when he loses the ball, Liverpool came with a plan to close down man united and dont let us settle into our usual play, they nearly did that but of course Zlatan is Zlatan, he knows where the back of the net is, he must be the joint top scorer in the premiership, besides, we missed several chances, the martial miss was really bad, this was a game we could have won and we created several chances, overall I am impressed with our resilience, in the old LVG era, we would have lost the game, our next few games are ones we can win, we have to keep on winning to keep up pressure, I believe we can get the top 4 spots, there is not much difference between the top teams, we have definitely improved
In the LVG era Man United was beating Liverpool for fun, the man always came up with the correct tactics to deal with Liverpool pressing. It would have been a win.
Agree with you on the rest.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

icee wrote:Very disappointed at the draw. Liverpool should have won.

On Goalkeepers: About three games into the season, I shared my thoughts on two goal keepers - Karus (Liverpool) and Bravo (City). At the time, I was of the opinion that two very good coaches - Klopp and Pep had made mistakes in their decisions on Goalkeepers and their intent to play from the GK at all cost. One of the coaches changed the other is still stuck - the results speak today. KLOPP's decision quality and ability to change in the face of convincing evidence is the reason why a Liverpool GK is being talked off as MOM today. #decisions
So Gary Neville was actually right about Karius :biggrin:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Anyone watching the cracker at the Sanjez Pijuan

2-1 Sevilla.

What a comeback
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Age is cruel. Watching Rooney's raw power as a teenager was a terrifying sight. He has lost pace and power after 15 intense years in the spotlight as an EPL player, captain of his country, and captain of his club (yet he is still only 31!). People tend to forget that Rooney became a Premier League player at age 16. He still has a (different) role to play. He would be better off playing deeper as a regista (he still has an eye for a pass) like Scholesy did when he could no longer do the lung bursting runs.
marko wrote:forgot to add, Wayne Rooney is finished as a player, we better buy in the summer!!
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Draw probably a fair result. I'm impressed with how Klopp has managed his resources and how he effectively took Carrick out of the game.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:
marko wrote:Pogba needs to learn how to adjust his game, sometimes all that is needed is the simple pass, safety first, he does not need to display skills and not be able to back track when he loses the ball, Liverpool came with a plan to close down man united and dont let us settle into our usual play, they nearly did that but of course Zlatan is Zlatan, he knows where the back of the net is, he must be the joint top scorer in the premiership, besides, we missed several chances, the martial miss was really bad, this was a game we could have won and we created several chances, overall I am impressed with our resilience, in the old LVG era, we would have lost the game, our next few games are ones we can win, we have to keep on winning to keep up pressure, I believe we can get the top 4 spots, there is not much difference between the top teams, we have definitely improved
In the LVG era Man United was beating Liverpool for fun, the man always came up with the correct tactics to deal with Liverpool pressing. It would have been a win.
LVG would have won this game...but

lost to Hull this past Wednesday...and to WHU last week

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Wise, the issue is, Rooney doesnt have the cortical capacity to be a Scholes and too attacking an instinct to either fake Carrick. The idea if playing him deeper and deeper is no more than denial. The game must accept that he is closing in on finished, it would come as no surprise were part of his lethargy due to weary sinews and spent cartilage. He's been a warhorse for over a decade and a half, rather than run him into the ground, take him out back and make Tesco's beef. Its for the best.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

tfco wrote:
0 :mad: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

benteke wrote:
How many times did he face Klopp?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

tfco wrote:
Flawed comparison. You're comparing Pogba playing well with KDB scoring. Isn't it possible KDB Might've had good games since September despite not scoring?

Also, KDB has had many great games for City already. So him going through a "slump" is understandable. Can we say the same for Pogba? How many great games has he had for United?

Besides, only one was bought for about 90 million.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

theYemster wrote:
tfco wrote:
Flawed comparison. You're comparing Pogba playing well with KDB scoring. Isn't it possible KDB Might've had good games since September despite not scoring?

Also, KDB has had many great games for City already. So him going through a "slump" is understandable. Can we say the same for Pogba? How many great games has he had for United?

Besides, only one was bought for about 90 million.
Mour is still trying to justify getting rid of KDB at Chelsea, instead of just moving on and wishing the kid well.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL (0-1) 2H

Post by metalalloy »

green4life wrote:
tfco wrote:
mcal wrote:
tfco wrote:that was all fellaini
...the Fellaini you no want :???:
ol boy i am gradually accepting the fact that he is a (good) player

i would have put in rashford, but oh well
Jose said he opted for the direct route having noticed that Klopp didn't have any option on the bench to counter that approach. Explains choosing fellaini over rashford
:rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

metalalloy wrote:
green4life wrote:
tfco wrote:
mcal wrote:

Jose said he opted for the direct route having noticed that Klopp didn't have any option on the bench to counter that approach. Explains choosing fellaini over rashford
actually mugu, if you watched the game, you would understand that makes perfect sense.

Watch again how the equalizer came about. It was all on The Big Fella (as much as it pains to admit)

The intricate passing was not working - route 1 did the trick

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

tfco wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
green4life wrote:
tfco wrote:
mcal wrote:

actually mugu, if you watched the game, you would understand that makes perfect sense.

Watch again how the equalizer came about. It was all on The Big Fella (as much as it pains to admit)

The intricate passing was not working - route 1 did the trick
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16