TIM HOWARD... ON KLINSMANN...and obvious read through to NGR

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
TIM HOWARD... ON KLINSMANN...and obvious read through to NGR

Post by deanotito »

If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: TIM HOWARD... ON KLINSMANN...and obvious read through to

Post by mcal »

...the last line also translates to Nigerian players. "It is not about where you play, it is about what you bring to the team".

The bigmanism that hampered the US team has always been the burden for SE.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I think the players that Nigeria has so far used that may fall into the category of "foreign" (i.e. born outside the country) have been quite passionate, if you ask me. However, I do understand what Tim is saying. I read one of the veteran players from Cameroon who made similar statements about players that Cameroon is now calling up. He virtually stated that most of those guys do not care about Cameroon and are not passionate and will run to the hills the moment they encounter a situation that is a bit unusual.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote:I think the players that Nigeria has so far used that may fall into the category of "foreign" (i.e. born outside the country) have been quite passionate, if you ask me. However, I do understand what Tim is saying. I read one of the veteran players from Cameroon who made similar statements about players that Cameroon is now calling up. He virtually stated that most of those guys do not care about Cameroon and are not passionate and will run to the hills the moment they encounter a situation that is a bit unusual.

I agree that so far it hasn't looked like a problem with Nigeria. And given their relatively low numbers, new players are still too few to cause a sea change. I think if the numbers start to increase, its worth thinking through.

Also, I believe the US has largely been an over-achieving team. Historically, the likes of Arena and Bradley combined good tactics and preparation with some go-get-em American we-can-beat-anybody-ism ( :) ), which is a key attribute that will suffer if you start shopping for players with only physical american DNA and not the DNA of American Spirit. This is one place where Klinsmann failed...he seemed to want to minimize that part of the American team, and I think it showed up in their results.

Nigeria doesn't seem to have that that same Spirit issue....at least not now. We don't really have a Nigerian Spirit anymore, though we had it in the 90s. We're currently in rebuilding mode.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet