China money is Super Eagles enemy

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet
China money is Super Eagles enemy

Post by DAgrin »

We should name it clearly.
Nigerian players are vulnerable to be tempted by money even more than others because African players have to feed a large family in most cases.
Nevertheless and a competitive level the Chinese Super League is still inferior and weak.
I see a lot of our top players moving in this backwater league for the money and regress in the best stage of their career.
We need to address this problem - some of our best players might be inhibited in their development because of this China crap.
It is disturbing.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: China money is Super Eagles enemy

Post by green4life »

Arab money didn't hurt Gyan when he left England to join an obscure middle eastern club in the prime of his career.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Whether we like it or not the standard of football in China is inferior to most European leagues. Who is Mikel competing with for a starting spot in his team? Who is going to be pushing him? Iron sharpens iron.
As for the money aspect, it is not only limited to footballers. Our politicians go into office not for honor or service to the nation or to make a difference, they go in to steal, rape and enrich themselves.

We've always seen things from financial gain point of view.
Even the educated here who often times complain about politicians enriching themselves would still argue in favor of footballers chasing the money.

There's no law against chasing the money, at least the fooballers are getting what they are being offered and not stealing what is not theirs.
However, if you have a few SE players plying their trade in China then the debate as to their ability to make the SE a stronger and better unit must be questioned.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

It depends on your end goal. If your current end goal is to be the #1 team on the continent, the 'China question' doesn't have much merit for me. Dude, we haven't even qualified for the last two ANC's and we have the gut to look down on China? Please. Let's be real. Our SEs is not a top team on the continent. Late Keshi (RIP) overachieved for us to lead the country to glory in 2013 and even reaching the 2nd round of the WC was a big achievement given the lack of quality overall. The key is not where you play but what tools a player brings to the table that the manager can exploit in his TEAM BUILDING exercise. The proverbial one game or in this case, one goal at a time is apt. You cannot dream about being big on the world stage when you're barely cracking the top 20 in Africa.

China is not the most competitive league but so long as they get regular play sufficient to keep them game fit, I don't see how it will hurt a team that has won it's first 2 WCQs using those China bound players who barely got onto the pitch or in one case didn't even get onto the pitch in England. I see this as a win-win situation for Country and player (licking his China cash). Our goal right now is to qualify for the WC and the next ANC. China based players will not hurt the pursuit of those targets.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

There are 16 clubs in the league and many of those clubs can boast of players like...Tevez, Ramires, Paulinho, Mikel, Oscsr, Ighalo, Hulk, Jackson Martinez, Weistel, Obafemi Martins etc..at least those will help make the league competitive. .
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

green4life wrote:It depends on your end goal. If your current end goal is to be the #1 team on the continent, the 'China question' doesn't have much merit for me. Dude, we haven't even qualified for the last two ANC's and we have the gut to look down on China? Please. Let's be real. Our SEs is not a top team on the continent. Late Keshi (RIP) overachieved for us to lead the country to glory in 2013 and even reaching the 2nd round of the WC was a big achievement given the lack of quality overall. The key is not where you play but what tools a player brings to the table that the manager can exploit in his TEAM BUILDING exercise. The proverbial one game or in this case, one goal at a time is apt. You cannot dream about being big on the world stage when you're barely cracking the top 20 in Africa.

China is not the most competitive league but so long as they get regular play sufficient to keep them game fit, I don't see how it will hurt a team that has won it's first 2 WCQs using those China bound players who barely got onto the pitch or in one case didn't even get onto the pitch in England. I see this as a win-win situation for Country and player (licking his China cash). Our goal right now is to qualify for the WC and the next ANC. China based players will not hurt the pursuit of those targets.

Please keep repeating this. Someday it will get through thick cement skulls...
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...time to get all the Nigerian millionaires and billionaires, Dangote and the rest of them to establish football clubs, attract our players and foregn players to Nigeria for retirement. my 2 kobo.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

green4life wrote:It depends on your end goal. If your current end goal is to be the #1 team on the continent, the 'China question' doesn't have much merit for me. Dude, we haven't even qualified for the last two ANC's and we have the gut to look down on China? Please. Let's be real. Our SEs is not a top team on the continent. Late Keshi (RIP) overachieved for us to lead the country to glory in 2013 and even reaching the 2nd round of the WC was a big achievement given the lack of quality overall. The key is not where you play but what tools a player brings to the table that the manager can exploit in his TEAM BUILDING exercise. The proverbial one game or in this case, one goal at a time is apt. You cannot dream about being big on the world stage when you're barely cracking the top 20 in Africa.

KPOM KPEM! As long as the boys are getting playing time to stay fit, the rest na tales by moonlight...
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

There is some truth to both sides of the argument. There is a valid point about constant playing time benefitting the player and the national team overall. There is also the contrary argument that the Chinese league is not up to par comparatively with top European leagues(the gold standard). As a contributor succinctly puts it, "iron sharpens iron". The bottom-line is for the national team coaches to continue monitoring players and hope that the monitoring is objective enough to ensure we always get our best legs for the qualifiers and tournaments. Inasmuch as it is hard to argue against a bumper payday from China, it is harder even to argue against selecting a Nigerian regularly playing for Manchester City or Athletico Madrid ahead of a China based Odion Ighalo.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

green4life wrote:Arab money didn't hurt Gyan when he left England to join an obscure middle eastern club in the prime of his career.
well stated
Ironically, your name misconstrued, is a testament to your philosophy :)
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I don't like the China move either, but playing in a weaker league will probably affect players differently. Moving to China would be bad for young players still developing and yet to reach their peak, but for an experienced player like Mikel, I think it will have little effect on his national team form. Mikel performed reasonably well for the SE despite warming the bench at Chelsea, and Aaron Samuel despite playing in China looked good in the games he played for the SE.

In regards to Ighalo, playing in China may actually help him get his confidence back. He just needs to start scoring. He's gone too many games for club and country without scoring. I still don't like the move to China though.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

olu wrote:I don't like the China move either, but playing in a weaker league will probably affect players differently. Moving to China would be bad for young players still developing ......
Ghana has a player on the national team today, who moved to Thailand as a youngster
He was a star in the Thai league and got noticed in Europe
Today he plays for Anderlecht and there are RUMORS he's a LIVERPOLL target
http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2016/ ... cheampong/

His name is Frank Acheampong. A forward player who plays left back for Ghana

My point: the cream always rises to the top
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

olu wrote:I don't like the China move either, but playing in a weaker league will probably affect players differently. Moving to China would be bad for young players still developing and yet to reach their peak, but for an experienced player like Mikel, I think it will have little effect on his national team form. Mikel performed reasonably well for the SE despite warming the bench at Chelsea, and Aaron Samuel despite playing in China looked good in the games he played for the SE.

In regards to Ighalo, playing in China may actually help him get his confidence back. He just needs to start scoring. He's gone too many games for club and country without scoring. I still don't like the move to China though.
My suggestion is the China move is a debate with must have and come to a conclusion rather than a lackadaisical attitude suggesting as long as they are playing constantly. Well we have players in the national league playing constantly. But would you select our first 11 from our league?

Mikel not playing but practicing with top players at Chelsea might demand more from him in training as a defensive MF than he's likely to get at his club where he's probably the top dawg.

The bottom line is we should not not do our usual resignation of 'no big deal' without first accessing the situation. If the conclusion is reached That a move to China doesn't diminish the effectiveness of SE players then at least we've properly accessed the situation
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Rawlings wrote:
olu wrote:I don't like the China move either, but playing in a weaker league will probably affect players differently. Moving to China would be bad for young players still developing ......
Ghana has a player on the national team today, who moved to Thailand as a youngster

My friend, a player can be noticed playing park football. The bottom line is the competition and development without Anderlecht will be far superior than the Thai league
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

pajimoh wrote:
Rawlings wrote:

My friend, a player can be noticed playing park football. The bottom line is the competition and development without Anderlecht will be far superior than the Thai league
Professor Obvious
did u read and understand my point? the cream always rises to the top
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Brother, this is shortsighted. The more of our players go into non-competitive leagues/situations, the worse the standard of our football would get. It has nothing to do with what Keshi achieved or when we last qualified for the ANC.

At a certain level, football is pretty basic. You get your players to the best leagues and the best teams, and it invariably shows up in the quality of your football. The inability to do this is why teams like the USA never seem to be able to make the step up into Elite status.
Can the NFF still go and scatter everything with bonus problems and poor prep? Yes. But that does not negate the fact that competing at a high National Team level is preceded by competing at a high club level. That is why every 4 years, you can bet that the Dream Team will win the Olympic Basketball tournament. Its just simple

A few years ago, I was alarmed at the sheer number of our first teamers plying their trade in Turkey. In recent times, we have started experiencing a bit of a turn...though we have had a few set backs, chief of which is Kele falling out of the Man City first team. Rohr has been chief beneficiary in the improving club standings of our players...if the tide starts to reverse again, it will show up in poor play. And Rohr wouldn't be able to stop it.

There will always be exceptions - like Gyan - who buck the tide, but we don't build a life on exceptions.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Robbynice wrote:

KPOM KPEM! As long as the boys are getting playing time to stay fit, the rest na tales by moonlight...
Na wah for these kind views. Sometimes I wonder if you guys dey watch football at all. Playing time to get fit???? That's all it takes??? Make me sef go find my boots and join that Sunday-Sunday kick-about league....na 3 hours we dey play every Sunday sef...Russia, here I come
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Seems like Onazi and Ideye are about to join the China train. :( :(
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

See Africans yanking dust like they have a choice. If Cambodia starts paying big $ to ballers they will get the best African talent on a discount.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Nigeria's Brown Ideye near deal to exit Olympiakos for China move - sources

http://www.espnfc.us/story/3065043/brow ... ve-sources

Nigeria international Brown Ideye is close to completing a transfer to Tianjin Teda.
Olympiakos striker Brown Ideye is being lined up for a move to China with Tianjin Teda before the close of the transfer window, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC.

Chinese Super League clubs are scouring all over the world for new players before their transfer window closes later this week, ahead of the start of the new season next month.
Tianjin Teda have been searching for a new striker to finalise their squad ahead of the new season kicking off and have targeted a move for Nigeria international Ideye.

Ideye has been at Olympiakos since the summer of 2015 after joining the club following a disappointing one-year spell in the Premier League with West Bromwich Albion.

The 28-year-old was West Brom's then-record club signing when he joined them in 2014 from Dynamo Kiev, but he failed to hit the heights at the Hawthorns.

Ideye scored seven goals in 31 appearances in all competitions for West Brom before he left to join Olympiakos, and he has got his career back in track in Greece.

The powerful striker scored 13 goals in his debut season to help Olympiakos win the Greek Super League and he has surpassed that this season with 15 goals in all competitions.

Tianjin Teda have made an offer to Olympiacos for Ideye, sources said, adding that they have already agreed personal terms with the player over the possible move.

Tianjin Teda signed Ideye's Nigerian teammate John Obi Mikel from Chelsea during the January transfer window and they are now hoping to add Ideye as their latest marquee signing.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

As a connoisseur of the game, I would like to start seeing some of these Chinese games.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Enugu II wrote:

Nigeria international Brown Ideye is close to completing a transfer to Tianjin Teda.
Olympiakos striker Brown Ideye is being lined up for a move to China with Tianjin Teda before the close of the transfer window, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC.

Chinese Super League clubs are scouring all over the world for new players before their transfer window closes later this week, ahead of the start of the new season next month.
Tianjin Teda have been searching for a new striker to finalise their squad ahead of the new season kicking off and have targeted a move for Nigeria international Ideye.

Ideye has been at Olympiakos since the summer of 2015 after joining the club following a disappointing one-year spell in the Premier League with West Bromwich Albion.

The 28-year-old was West Brom's then-record club signing when he joined them in 2014 from Dynamo Kiev, but he failed to hit the heights at the Hawthorns.

Ideye scored seven goals in 31 appearances in all competitions for West Brom before he left to join Olympiakos, and he has got his career back in track in Greece.

The powerful striker scored 13 goals in his debut season to help Olympiakos win the Greek Super League and he has surpassed that this season with 15 goals in all competitions.

Tianjin Teda have made an offer to Olympiacos for Ideye, sources said, adding that they have already agreed personal terms with the player over the possible move.

Tianjin Teda signed Ideye's Nigerian teammate John Obi Mikel from Chelsea during the January transfer window and they are now hoping to add Ideye as their latest marquee signing.
Good riddance. No regrets
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

bully12 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Good riddance. No regrets
We might have our opinion about the quality of football in China but we should learn to "rejoice with those rejoicing". Best wishes to Ideye