What do you think about Bassogog

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nianiote
Egg
Egg
Re: What do you think about Bassogog

Post by nianiote »

born in 1995
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

He is the tournament mvp. Who cares how old he is?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The incredible true story of Christian Bassogog winning Africa Cup of Nations with Cameroon

By Steven Goff February 6 at 2:58 PM

Christian Bassogog occupies two Egyptian players in Africa Cup on Nations final in Gabon on Sunday. (Sunday Alamba/Associated Press)

Eighteen months ago, Christian Bassogog was a teenager 6,000 miles from home playing third-division soccer on a last-place team before crowds of 2,500 on Cape Fear in North Carolina.

On Sunday, the Cameroonian winger was basking in the global glow of winning the African championship and being named the top player in the tournament.

From Wilmington Hammerhead to Indomitable Lion, Bassogog followed an unlikely trail to soccer fame and positioned himself for a greater leap in the months to come.

Bolstered by the unknown right wing, rebuilding Cameroon completed an implausible dash to the Africa Cup of Nations trophy by defeating Egypt, 2-1, in Libreville, Gabon — its first title in 15 years and fifth since the competition began in 1957.

Bassogog, 21, started all six matches for the Indomitable Lions and created havoc with speed, athletic ability and improved touch. In the semifinal, he scored a late breakaway goal in a 2-0 surprise against Ghana.

Bassogog’s journey began outside of Douala, Cameroon’s largest city, where he featured for Rainbow FC, a second-tier side. In November 2014, he was among about 40 players invited to a scouting combine arranged by the Rainbow organization for Wilmington Hammerheads General Manager Jason Arnold and U.S. agent Leo Cullen. Both are former University of Maryland players, separated by six years. Arnold is from Fairfax, Va., and starred at Robinson High School.

Bassogog and Brian Anunga caught Arnold’s eye. He proceeded to sign them for the Hammerheads, a 20-year-old club struggling to survive in the United Soccer League’s smallest market. (pop: 115,000)

“It was our first proof of concept: Hey, we can develop players and send them off to bigger clubs,” Arnold said.

Bassogog appeared in 14 league matches with five starts and, serving as more of a facilitator than scorer, did not record a goal. Late in the season, the Hammerheads followed through on their ambition to mold players and sell them, arranging through a Spanish player agency for Bassogog to go on trial with Danish club Aalborg. (Anunga did not pan out and joined the fourth-flight Carolina Dynamo last year.)

MLS might’ve become an option but, Arnold said, Bassogog’s ambition was always Europe.

Fluent in Danish after spending teenage years in Viborg’s youth academy, Arnold accompanied Bassogog to the workouts. After 10 days, Aalborg tendered an offer. The transfer fee — small by global standards — was not disclosed. As part of the deal, the Hammerheads, and more specifically, their owner, Capelli Sport, retained a sell-on clause, meaning it would collect a percentage of any future transfer. (Rainbow FC also has a stake.)

At first, that financial connection did not offer much promise. In his first season, Bassogog made nine league appearances (one start) totaling 244 minutes.

His fortunes began to turn last year by starting 20 of 21 matches and scoring four goals.

Cameroon summoned him to the national team for the first time last November for a World Cup qualifier against Zambia. He then made the Africa Cup of Nations squad.

“If you asked me this question five months ago, ‘You know Bassogog?’ I’d say, ‘Who?’ ” Cameroon Coach Hugo Broos told reporters in Gabon. “I didn’t know him.

“We were looking for players. I had some friends, old players for me in Denmark, so I phoned them. I said, ‘I see there’s this guy, Bassogog, what kind of player is he?’ I went to see him and I saw his level, his qualities. I said, ‘Okay, the next game he has to be with us.’ “

No one in international soccer is saying “Who?” anymore.

“I’m incredibly proud of him, where he came from in Cameroon to the USL and sticking with the process,” said Arnold, who texted with Bassogog during the African tournament.

Capelli Sport, represented by Arnold, is seeking suitors in Germany and serving as a facilitator for a possible move this summer. Ultimately, Aalborg would have the final say on any formal offers. One possible scenario would have a Bundesliga club purchase him from Aalborg and loan him to a lower-division team.

A portion of the transfer windfall would go to Capelli Sport, not the Hammerheads, who don’t exist in their previous form anymore. Facing financial headwinds in Wilmington, the group shut down the USL operation last fall and launched a fourth-division amateur team in the port city. It had also been exploring USL opportunities in a large market, such as Baltimore.

Based in New York, Capelli Sport partners with one German club, second-tier Wuerzburger Kickers, and owns a stake in another, third-division Duisburg. Last year, the Hammerheads sold former University of Maryland midfielder Mael Corboz to Duisburg.

Bassogog is scheduled to rejoin Aalborg soon for the resumption of league play Feb. 19. He’ll return as a champion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... d5fcddf28d
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
kamerun1
Egg
Egg

Post by kamerun1 »

Cellular wrote:
The incredible true story of Christian Bassogog winning Africa Cup of Nations with Cameroon

Christian Bassogog occupies two Egyptian players in Africa Cup on Nations final in Gabon on Sunday. (Sunday Alamba/Associated Press)

Eighteen months ago, Christian Bassogog was a teenager 6,000 miles from home playing third-division soccer on a last-place team before crowds of 2,500 on Cape Fear in North Carolina.

On Sunday, the Cameroonian winger was basking in the global glow of winning the African championship and being named the top player in the tournament.

From Wilmington Hammerhead to Indomitable Lion, Bassogog followed an unlikely trail to soccer fame and positioned himself for a greater leap in the months to come.

Bolstered by the unknown right wing, rebuilding Cameroon completed an implausible dash to the Africa Cup of Nations trophy by defeating Egypt, 2-1, in Libreville, Gabon — its first title in 15 years and fifth since the competition began in 1957.

Bassogog, 21, started all six matches for the Indomitable Lions and created havoc with speed, athletic ability and improved touch. In the semifinal, he scored a late breakaway goal in a 2-0 surprise against Ghana.

Bassogog’s journey began outside of Douala, Cameroon’s largest city, where he featured for Rainbow FC, a second-tier side. In November 2014, he was among about 40 players invited to a scouting combine arranged by the Rainbow organization for Wilmington Hammerheads General Manager Jason Arnold and U.S. agent Leo Cullen. Both are former University of Maryland players, separated by six years. Arnold is from Fairfax, Va., and starred at Robinson High School.

Bassogog and Brian Anunga caught Arnold’s eye. He proceeded to sign them for the Hammerheads, a 20-year-old club struggling to survive in the United Soccer League’s smallest market. (pop: 115,000)

“It was our first proof of concept: Hey, we can develop players and send them off to bigger clubs,” Arnold said.

Bassogog appeared in 14 league matches with five starts and, serving as more of a facilitator than scorer, did not record a goal. Late in the season, the Hammerheads followed through on their ambition to mold players and sell them, arranging through a Spanish player agency for Bassogog to go on trial with Danish club Aalborg. (Anunga did not pan out and joined the fourth-flight Carolina Dynamo last year.)

MLS might’ve become an option but, Arnold said, Bassogog’s ambition was always Europe.

Fluent in Danish after spending teenage years in Viborg’s youth academy, Arnold accompanied Bassogog to the workouts. After 10 days, Aalborg tendered an offer. The transfer fee — small by global standards — was not disclosed. As part of the deal, the Hammerheads, and more specifically, their owner, Capelli Sport, retained a sell-on clause, meaning it would collect a percentage of any future transfer. (Rainbow FC also has a stake.)

At first, that financial connection did not offer much promise. In his first season, Bassogog made nine league appearances (one start) totaling 244 minutes.

His fortunes began to turn last year by starting 20 of 21 matches and scoring four goals.

Cameroon summoned him to the national team for the first time last November for a World Cup qualifier against Zambia. He then made the Africa Cup of Nations squad.

“If you asked me this question five months ago, ‘You know Bassogog?’ I’d say, ‘Who?’ ” Cameroon Coach Hugo Broos told reporters in Gabon. “I didn’t know him.

“We were looking for players. I had some friends, old players for me in Denmark, so I phoned them. I said, ‘I see there’s this guy, Bassogog, what kind of player is he?’ I went to see him and I saw his level, his qualities. I said, ‘Okay, the next game he has to be with us.’ “

“I’m incredibly proud of him, where he came from in Cameroon to the USL and sticking with the process,” said Arnold, who texted with Bassogog during the African tournament.

Capelli Sport, represented by Arnold, is seeking suitors in Germany and serving as a facilitator for a possible move this summer. Ultimately, Aalborg would have the final say on any formal offers. One possible scenario would have a Bundesliga club purchase him from Aalborg and loan him to a lower-division team.

A portion of the transfer windfall would go to Capelli Sport, not the Hammerheads, who don’t exist in their previous form anymore. Facing financial headwinds in Wilmington, the group shut down the USL operation last fall and launched a fourth-division amateur team in the port city. It had also been exploring USL opportunities in a large market, such as Baltimore.

Based in New York, Capelli Sport partners with one German club, second-tier Wuerzburger Kickers, and owns a stake in another, third-division Duisburg. Last year, the Hammerheads sold former University of Maryland midfielder Mael Corboz to Duisburg.

Bassogog is scheduled to rejoin Aalborg soon for the resumption of league play Feb. 19. He’ll return as a champion.

Very touching story. I wish him all the best. He is the most talented CAM player since Eto'o left (Njie aside)
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Hopefully he will be past his prime in 5months time.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Chimex101 wrote:Deserves a move from Denmark, top notch player...
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:He had a great game in the final and should have been man of the match in my opinion. However, I was not impressed with him in previous matches.
Cameroon forward Christian Bassogog was adjudged the Total Man of the Competition, the prize given to the Most Valuable Player of the Total Africa Cup of Nations Gabon 2017. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Picture of young Bassogog at 10 years old. God has been faithful.

Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

He's not old, no old man can run the way he runs...

Cameroon should thank US soccer for their success, if it wasn't for the US, Bassagog the gawd would be playing 5 a side in Cameroon and they would have never won.

Same goes for the great Oyongo.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Raw talent.. Needs to move to a top team in France.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

bamenda boy wrote:Picture of young Bassogog at 10 years old. God has been faithful.

Are those legs of a 10 year old? :lol:

Anyways, he´s still a young player. No old bone can play the way he does.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

:rotf: Nigerians are a wicked species.
DAgrin wrote: 22?
He looks like Arjen Robben's older brother from another mother! :taunt:
It's a pity he is now in his prime or even over it.
It does matter because Cameroon has already seen the best of him.

ps: or life in Cameroon must have been truly tough.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

kamerun1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Very touching story. I wish him all the best. He is the most talented CAM player since Eto'o left (Njie aside)
Amazing. Reminded me of how Okocha ended up in Germany.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

He has been offered 7 Million Dollars a year in China. Chei! His dream has alwasy been to play in Europe.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

and all this time I thought Denmark was in Europe.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

King Futcha wrote:and all this time I thought Denmark was in Europe.
This is why he left the US.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39028150
Cameroon and Nations Cup star Bassogog moves to China

By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport
5 hours ago From the section Football

Cameroon midfielder Christian Bassogog
Cameroon midfielder Christian Bassogog has joined Chinese Super League side Henan Jianye from Aab Fodbold, the Danish club has confirmed.

Earlier this month, the 21-year-old was named player of the tournament as Cameroon won their fifth Africa Cup of Nations trophy in Gabon.

"AaB have sold Bassogog to Chinese club Henan Jianye FC for a record transfer for AaB," the club said in a statement.

Bassogog said the China offer was one he could not refuse.

"Since the first day I got here, I received great treatment from everyone both inside and outside the club, and I really felt welcome both in the city of Aalborg and at the club," Bassogog was quoted as saying by the AaB website.

"Now I've got an offer I could not refuse, and I look forward to new and exciting experiences in China. I want to thank my team-mates, coaches and the nice people in administration during our time together.

"I must say a big special thanks to the supporters and not least my foster family - they all played a big role in the man I am today," added the midfielder.

BBC Sport understands that Henan Jianye signed the player for $8.7 million in what AaB club director Allan Gaarde - who praised the players' dribbling, pace and physique - described as a remarkable rise.

Prior to joining AaB in 2015, Bassogog had been playing in the third tier of football in the United States.

"For Christian and AaB, it's been a great story since he came on trial with us only one and a half years ago," Allan Gaarde said.

"No one could have imagined his rapid development. Beyond his on-field skills, Christian is a happy, well-liked person and we wish him all the best in China and every success in the future."

Bassogog started all six games at this year's Nations Cup, scoring in the semi-final as the Indomitable Lions beat Ghana 2-0.

He now joins a growing list of African players moving to the Chinese Super League after Nigerian duo John Mikel Obi and Odion Ighalo joined Tianjin Teda and Changchun Yatai respectively last month.

The Cameroonian's football career started with Douala outfit Rainbow FC back home before he joined United Soccer League side Wilmington Hammerheads in April 2015.

His performance for the North Carolina-based side, who will receive a slice of the transfer fee paid by Henan Jianye, earned him a trial at AaB and he was duly rewarded with a four-year contract in August 2015.

During his time in Denmark, he scored four goals in 32 appearances for the four-time Superliga champions.