Why are Nigerians so confident that..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ceejay22
Egg
Egg
Re: Why are Nigerians so confident that..

Post by ceejay22 »

Kain my Naija people get mouth and sabi brag well well. I pray we win the group. With all this bragging any negative results go attract too much heartache for my people. We sabi make noise sha
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Ceejay

What do you expect my people to do when provoked? Lie down and grovel. Oh hell no
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

nemi2002 wrote:Cameroun is the top dog in the group, Nigeria has not qualified for anything since 2014 and we will struggle against the African champs.
Deafeatist are not needed,when the group was first drawn I doubt it such people as yourself thought Nigeria would beat Zambia away and dispose of Algeria to top the game group at this point,even Cameroon have only 2 points and couldn't beat Zambia at home so why anyone Nigerian (that's if) would just throw in the towel at this point is beyond me?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:Cameroun is the top dog in the group, Nigeria has not qualified for anything since 2014 and we will struggle against the African champs.
Deafeatist are not needed,when the group was first drawn I doubt it such people as yourself thought Nigeria would beat Zambia away and dispose of Algeria to top the game group at this point,even Cameroon have only 2 points and couldn't beat Zambia at home so why anyone Nigerian (that's if) would just throw in the towel at this point is beyond me?
People attach to much importance to winning the Nations Cup. Nigeria won in 1980 but got thumped by a better Algerian team in the WC qualifiers. Champions Cameroon will suffer the same fate because Nigeria is simply a better team. Take that to the bank :!:

Cheers.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

YUJAM wrote:
Tbite wrote:
YUJAM wrote:It won't be easy
Cameroon is a well drilled side with quality players and a very good coach. They'll also have the additional preparation of the Confed Cup under their belt by the time they play Nigeria in August. Nigeria has the upper hand in the group right now but the Plantain Boys will definitely put up a fight
We have gotten the better of well drilled sides before, that put up a fight such as Tunisia in qualifying for the WC in 2010.

If there is one thing Nigeria knows how to deal with is insane pressure. Nigeria does NOT choke, it is not in our dna. We fail when we do not plan, when we are inadequate. But insofar as we have planned and we have what it takes (which we will), no amount of pressure will undo us.
Really? :rotf: Bro we didn't start following the S Eagles yesterday. In fact I am certain I've been a fan longer than you've been alive. :idea:
And there are people that have been a fan of Nigerian sports longer than you have been alive. That is inconsequential.

Within 5 years football tactics have already significantly changed, within 10 years psyche has changed, within 20 years expectations have been altered. BUT in the here and now, Nigeria that I know have never faltered due to the pressure of the situation.

I haven't seen it. If we have to go back to 1950 to argue this point, then it is irrelevant in any case, because that is a different Nigeria.

Reasons I have seen Nigeria fail include poor finishing, lack of creating chances in the midfield, relying on only the first XI, predictability (failure to capitilise on crosses, use dead balls etc), poor logistics (venue, timing), distractions (bonuses etc), frequent and sporadic changes

We have a good team right now, so the fact that CAM are champions to me, will not be the deciding factor. I have seen Nigeria play recently crowned European Champions, as if they were on the same level, so abeg.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Even dem coach wan bale.

By Peter Pedroncelli | Peterpedron
February 16, 2017

Cameroon coach Hugo Broos has applied for the vacant position in charge of the South African national team, following his 2017 Africa Cup of Nations victory with the Indomitable Lions.

The Belgian tactician masterminded a stunning title triumph for the unfancied Central Africans in Gabon earlier this month, where Cameroon managed a 2-1 victory over favourites Egypt in the final to list their fifth AFCON trophy.
Cameroon's team captain Benjamin Moukandjo holds up the trophy arriving home to Yaounde on February 6, 2017, the day after they beat Egypt 2-1.

But regardless of his continuing project with the Lions, looking ahead to the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Broos has decided to apply for the Bafana top job, according to his representative.

Ligi Star Management’s Gino Laureyssen revealed that Broos sent his application to the South African Football Association (SAFA), but they have not yet received any feedback.

‘I asked him [Broos] if he wants to be a candidate for SAFA because they are looking for a head coach. So this week we have sent his CV to the CEO of SAFA, but until now we didn’t get any answer, which I think is a little [unusual],’ Laureyssen said.

‘He’s very interested in working with a young group and I think the South African national team hasn’t done well in recent years, and if you see how he did with Cameroon, with not only stars but players who want to fight and work hard, I think that [his interest] is a good sign,’ he added.
ALSO SEE
Shakes Mashaba sacked as Bafana coach over ‘misconduct’

Previous Bafana coach Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba was fired in December following what the football authorities in the country deemed as ‘gross misconduct and violation of the SAFA communications policy’, relating to a public argument with SAFA officials immediately after Bafana’s historic 2-1 World Cup qualifying win over Senegal in Polokwane on November 12.

Bafana have created a committee to pour over the applications from both local and international coaches interested in taking charge of the South African national team.

Broos may choose to jump ship following the AFCON triumph, as the next target for African teams will be to qualify for the World Cup in Russia, and Cameroon is not well-placed to do so.

After two matches the Indomitable Lions are second in Group B with two points from two draws (with Algeria and Zambia), while the Super Eagles of Nigeria look set to upset the AFCON winners in the group with six points from their two encounters thus far.

In comparison, Bafana is looking good in qualifying after their two games. The recent home win over Senegal after a draw away to Burkina Faso allowed South Africa to share top spot in Group D with the Stallions on four points, ahead of Cape Verde and Senegal.

Broos will certainly find qualifying for Russia 2018 easier with Bafana at this stage, with four games left to play in qualifying and only the top team in each group securing their ticket for the showpiece competition.

http://trueafrica.co/article/afcon-winn ... afana-job/
I am happy
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Like I said when the group was drawn, every game is a cup final and I will watch it without any expectations, as it is, you dont seem to get it. What is the mindset of the OP? If you look at our head to head with the plantain boys, we have a better record.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Dammy wrote:Even dem coach wan bale.

By Peter Pedroncelli | Peterpedron
February 16, 2017

Cameroon coach Hugo Broos has applied for the vacant position in charge of the South African national team, following his 2017 Africa Cup of Nations victory with the Indomitable Lions.

The Belgian tactician masterminded a stunning title triumph for the unfancied Central Africans in Gabon earlier this month, where Cameroon managed a 2-1 victory over favourites Egypt in the final to list their fifth AFCON trophy.
Cameroon's team captain Benjamin Moukandjo holds up the trophy arriving home to Yaounde on February 6, 2017, the day after they beat Egypt 2-1.

But regardless of his continuing project with the Lions, looking ahead to the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Broos has decided to apply for the Bafana top job, according to his representative.

Ligi Star Management’s Gino Laureyssen revealed that Broos sent his application to the South African Football Association (SAFA), but they have not yet received any feedback.

‘I asked him [Broos] if he wants to be a candidate for SAFA because they are looking for a head coach. So this week we have sent his CV to the CEO of SAFA, but until now we didn’t get any answer, which I think is a little [unusual],’ Laureyssen said.

‘He’s very interested in working with a young group and I think the South African national team hasn’t done well in recent years, and if you see how he did with Cameroon, with not only stars but players who want to fight and work hard, I think that [his interest] is a good sign,’ he added.
ALSO SEE
Shakes Mashaba sacked as Bafana coach over ‘misconduct’

Previous Bafana coach Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba was fired in December following what the football authorities in the country deemed as ‘gross misconduct and violation of the SAFA communications policy’, relating to a public argument with SAFA officials immediately after Bafana’s historic 2-1 World Cup qualifying win over Senegal in Polokwane on November 12.

Bafana have created a committee to pour over the applications from both local and international coaches interested in taking charge of the South African national team.

Broos may choose to jump ship following the AFCON triumph, as the next target for African teams will be to qualify for the World Cup in Russia, and Cameroon is not well-placed to do so.

After two matches the Indomitable Lions are second in Group B with two points from two draws (with Algeria and Zambia), while the Super Eagles of Nigeria look set to upset the AFCON winners in the group with six points from their two encounters thus far.

In comparison, Bafana is looking good in qualifying after their two games. The recent home win over Senegal after a draw away to Burkina Faso allowed South Africa to share top spot in Group D with the Stallions on four points, ahead of Cape Verde and Senegal.

Broos will certainly find qualifying for Russia 2018 easier with Bafana at this stage, with four games left to play in qualifying and only the top team in each group securing their ticket for the showpiece competition.

http://trueafrica.co/article/afcon-winn ... afana-job/
Poor Broos.

He seems destined for a couple of thrashings from the SE, no matter what job he holds over the next year.
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Cito wrote:
wiseone wrote:Those among us with functioning brains are aware that:

1) Cameroon is Nigeria's bogey team. They have broken more Nigerian hearts than love and marriage.

2) Nigeria has won a grand total of 2 games in a row. Our next two games are against Cameroon (the other undefeated team in Nigeria's group).

3) If Nigeria loses those two games against Cameroon Nigeria will probably be in third place - trailing Cameroon by 2 points, trailing Algeria by 1 point, and staring down the barrel of elimination.
bamenda boy wrote:Cameroon go hia Wen in Uyo? Even Robbinoise had said it is written on the green grass.
If a functioning brain is using false facts as its foundation, then there is something missing in that functioning brain. A brain could be functioning, but what level is it functioning on? 10%(Very Low IQ)? or more.

From the table below, we had their number until the 80s when we lost more than we won. Then from the 90s till date, we resumed our dominance. So please tell me where the 'bogeyness' came from?. And guess what happened to the few time they won the finals at our expense? Controversy was the order of the day.

Facts can really be your friend if you seek for it.
Games won: 10
Games drawn: 6
Games lost: 4
Date Match Result Score Competition
26 Apr 1960 Nigeria v Cameroon D 0-0 International Friendly
08 Dec 1962 Nigeria v Cameroon W 3-1 Nkrumah Cup
15 Apr 1963 Cameroon v Nigeria W 1-3 International Friendly

31 Aug 1967 Nigeria v Cameroon D 1-1 International Friendly
07 Dec 1968 Nigeria v Cameroon D 1-1 FIFA World Cup
22 Dec 1968 Cameroon v Nigeria W 2-3 FIFA World Cup
22 Jan 1975 Nigeria v Cameroon W 1-0 International Friendly

17 Jul 1978 Nigeria v Cameroon D 0-0 African Games
02 Feb 1980 Nigeria v Cameroon D 0-0 International Friendly
18 Mar 1984 Cameroon v Nigeria L 3-1 Africa Cup of Nations
17 Mar 1988 Nigeria v Cameroon D 1-1 Africa Cup of Nations
27 Mar 1988 Cameroon v Nigeria L 1-0 Africa Cup of Nations
10 Jun 1989 Nigeria v Cameroon W 2-0 FIFA World Cup
27 Aug 1989 Cameroon v Nigeria L 1-0 FIFA World Cup
25 Jan 1992 Nigeria v Cameroon W 2-1 Africa Cup of Nations
07 Aug 1997 Nigeria v Cameroon W 1-0 CUP Leg 97

13 Feb 2000 Nigeria v Cameroon L 2-2 Africa Cup of Nations
01 Jun 2003 Nigeria v Cameroon W 3-0 LG Cup
08 Feb 2004 Cameroon v Nigeria W 1-2 Africa Cup of Nations
11 Oct 2015 Nigeria v Cameroon W 3-0 International Friendly
http://www.11v11.com/teams/nigeria/tab/ ... /Cameroon/
the "bogeyness" comes from the fact that when Nigeria has beaten Cameroon there's isn't not muach at stake...but Cameroon has Nigerian hearts bleed...that's why the remember those and not the yeye friendlies Naija takes.
Nigeria has lost 3 ANC finals to Cameroon.
Cameroon has stopped Naija going to WC at the very last game.
People don't forget these, hence believing that Cam has such dominance over Naija.
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Time will tell I guess
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
YoungLion
Egg
Egg

Post by YoungLion »

Tbite wrote:Because we have a balanced team
Because we know that winning AFCON does not mean a side are now World Beaters
Because of Home advantage
Because our coach does his homework! If Cameroon is a strong side, that also means Rohr was picking apart their holes and there are many
Because we are one of the few teams in Africa never fazed by stature. It makes no difference to us how many titles you have won, we play you the same way
Because, our talent pool is getting stronger by the month, and we have a coach who knows how to build chemistry. We are not a side that will rely on negative football or scrappy plays
Because even if against Cameroon we struggle physically or however else, we have impact players who can turn the game around in a moment!
Because Cameroon if anything are more likely to lose now, perhaps before AFCON, they would have been more cautious, but now they will be overconfident and play into our hands, the same way Algeria did.
Because even if that was not incentive enough, the fact that Cameroon are chasing the game will have ensured that. Perhaps you guys would stand a chance if you could sit back and dictate things, but you can't! In open play, Nigeria stands a chance against 95% of football teams in the world.

You will fall in Uyo.

:rotf:
The indomitable Lions of Cameroon.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Perhaps I should also dig this up as well. When you have a shovel in hand, why waste it?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

bamenda boy wrote:Time will tell I guess
Indeed... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Interesting thread.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

YoungLion wrote:
Tbite wrote:Because we have a balanced team
Because we know that winning AFCON does not mean a side are now World Beaters
Because of Home advantage
Because our coach does his homework! If Cameroon is a strong side, that also means Rohr was picking apart their holes and there are many
Because we are one of the few teams in Africa never fazed by stature. It makes no difference to us how many titles you have won, we play you the same way
Because, our talent pool is getting stronger by the month, and we have a coach who knows how to build chemistry. We are not a side that will rely on negative football or scrappy plays
Because even if against Cameroon we struggle physically or however else, we have impact players who can turn the game around in a moment!
Because Cameroon if anything are more likely to lose now, perhaps before AFCON, they would have been more cautious, but now they will be overconfident and play into our hands, the same way Algeria did.
Because even if that was not incentive enough, the fact that Cameroon are chasing the game will have ensured that. Perhaps you guys would stand a chance if you could sit back and dictate things, but you can't! In open play, Nigeria stands a chance against 95% of football teams in the world.

You will fall in Uyo.

:rotf:
You sure are not laughing anymore. You should not have come to our forum to troll.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Meeeeeh. meeeeeeeeh!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The Domitable pu55y cats where even being backed by so called Nigerians from our very own CE,forgive them for they know not they are doing!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Major props to tbite, TTT, osita, Chimex101 and the numerous others that stood firm from the beginning. It is far easier to 'manage one's emotional energy' by predicting doom than it is to stick your neck out.
When you take the emotionally easy option, you have the 'pleasure' of a pyrrhic "I-told-you-so'' victory if you lose, but the pleasure of a real victory if you win.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

YUJAM wrote:It won't be easy
Cameroon is a well drilled side with quality players and a very good coach. They'll also have the additional preparation of the Confed Cup under their belt by the time they play Nigeria in August. Nigeria has the upper hand in the group right now but the Plantain Boys will definitely put up a fight
Out of the abundance of the heart, we know those who loathe Naija.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

bamenda boy wrote:Cameroon go hia Wen in Uyo? Even Robbinoise had said it is written on the green grass.
Not only did you "hia wen" but you heard a "proper" "Wen" with a naija accent.

One Moses parted the Red Sea -2 Moses's did not just part your defense, they removed it altogether :taunt:
Last edited by pajimoh on Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Bigpokey24 wrote:both games will end in a draw...

Nigeria 8pts
Cameroon 4 pts
Zambia 4 pts
ALgeria 4 pts

with 2 games left,

Cameroon vs Algeria
Zambia vs Cameroon
Nigeria vs Zambia
Algeria vs Nigeria

now all the SE needs will be to win one more game
You say wetin? It seems your faith I Mikel is waning :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

truetalk wrote:
wiseone wrote:Those among us with functioning brains are aware that:

1) Cameroon is Nigeria's bogey team. They have broken more Nigerian hearts than love and marriage.

2) Nigeria has won a grand total of 2 games in a row. Our next two games are against Cameroon (the other undefeated team in Nigeria's group).

3) If Nigeria loses those two games against Cameroon Nigeria will probably be in third place - trailing Cameroon by 2 points, trailing Algeria by 1 point, and staring down the barrel of elimination.
I would have ignored your opinion (which I classify as silly talk) if you did not go ahead to insult most of the forum.
Cameroon has beaten Nigeria fair and square, exactly 2 times in history.

The first time was an extremely young National team that overachieved in 1984. Even with that team, Peter Rufai got injured in the Semi victory over Egypt, and a much less capable Patrick Okala was in goal for the final.

The 2nd time was the final match of the round robin group in the qualifiers for Italia 90. A much more stable team had beaten Cameroon 2-0 in Ibadan, & then there were all sorts of withdrawals from the team that went to Cameroon (we tied some matches away, I think to Angola & now needed a draw in Cameroon). We lost 1-0 without the likes of Keshi & Rufai. (I think Agu or Obi was in goal).

The 2 other Cameroon victories have been brazen robberies. A clear goal called back & a shady penalty awarded in '88, and the Ikpeba penalty in 2000.

Since you have a well functioning brain, I dare you to put your money on Cameroon picking the ticket ahead of us in the group.
So Mr. Wise who says most of the forum do not have well functioning brains, did you place that bet?
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

The Goddess wrote:
wiseone wrote:"Hubris. A fine quality. Often possessed by c--ts who perish from it." - Doctore (Spartacus)
wiseone, what you said was the truth but you got attacked :( I have the feeling you´ll be saying in August "I told you so" :)
Hen hen I told you so :tic:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!