COSAFA Wants Hayatou Replaced.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
COSAFA Wants Hayatou Replaced.

Post by Waffiman »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/389 ... ow_twitter

COSAFA endorses Ahmad as presidential candidate in upcoming Caf elections

The Council of Southern African Football Associations (Cosafa) unanimously endorsed Ahmad Ahmad as a presidential candidate in upcoming Confederation of African Football (Caf) elections.

Ahmad, currently the head of Madagascar's FA, had already outlined his intention to challenge long-standing Caf ruler Issa Hayatou in March's elections in Ethiopia.

Cosafa announced their backing for Ahmad following a meeting of FA Presidents in Johannesburg on Saturday.

In a statement, Cosafa also announced they would only support sitting FA presidents, vying for Caf or Fifa elections.

"This was our first meeting since the new executive was voted into office and we are happy with the resolutions taken by the Council which I think will change the face of the region," said Cosafa President, Dr Phillip Chiyangwa.

Issa Hayatou, who has presided over African football since 1988, is seeking an eighth term.

The Cameroonian was re-elected unopposed during the last Caf presidential elections in 2013.

He had previously stated this term would be his last until a change of regulations altered his stance.

In 2015, Caf voted to change the statutes which previously stopped officials serving past the age of 70.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Cosafa Wants Hayatou replaced.

Post by Waffiman »

Guys, I have been saying this will happen ever since the African vote was split to give Gianni Infantino the FIFA presidency. Infantino, whose power base in Africa is COSAFA, will not say it publicly but he wants Hayatou out, his man is COSAFA's man.

Where do Nigeria stand in all of this? I give you all one guess. 8-)
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Nigeria With infantino.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...depends where the egghead is getting his bribe from. Nigeria na money for hand back na ground...ashewo :laugh:
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: COSAFA Wants Hayatou Replaced.

Post by Comrade Machel »

:clap: :clap:
Thank you Phil Cyiyangwa zimbabwe is behind you as you try to change things. Knpwing Chiyangwa I am surprised he is endorsing this Ahmad Ahmad who nobody has heard of rather than run for the thing himself
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Waffiman wrote:Guys, I have been saying this will happen ever since the African vote was split to give Gianni Infantino the FIFA presidency. Infantino, whose power base in Africa is COSAFA, will not say it publicly but he wants Hayatou out, his man is COSAFA's man.

Nigeria want Hayatou out as well. The dude stole two AFCON from us! :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Undertaker wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Guys, I have been saying this will happen ever since the African vote was split to give Gianni Infantino the FIFA presidency. Infantino, whose power base in Africa is COSAFA, will not say it publicly but he wants Hayatou out, his man is COSAFA's man.

Nigeria want Hayatou out as well. The dude stole two AFCON from us! :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse: :curse:
And the all African games that Cameroon best u us in Nigeria shortly after their Afcon win.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

bamenda boy wrote:
Undertaker wrote:

And the all African games that Cameroon best u us in Nigeria shortly after their Afcon win.
All African games? You can keep that! Hayatou is an old incompetent thief!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Undertaker wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
Undertaker wrote:

All African games? You can keep that! Hayatou is an old incompetent thief!
:D
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Hayatou is your typical African. We hug power, all for us. Most on CE will be doing the same. Something is just wrong with Africans and power.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Why is Hayatou not stepping down to enjoy his retirement and look for other things in life to do and enjoy? That would be the decent thing to do. Has anyone asked him the question? If so, would like to know his answer.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

felarey wrote:Why is Hayatou not stepping down to enjoy his retirement and look for other things in life to do and enjoy? That would be the decent thing to do. Has anyone asked him the question? If so, would like to know his answer.
You are assuming he's not currently 'enjoying'...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

It's time for him to go....... look at the ANC .....no crowds, poor pitches, no press conferences ,poor officiating, crap qualifying program which doesn't produce the best African sides. Poor marketing of the competition. Look at the coverage of the African version of the champions league and cup winners. African need leadership that reflects 2017.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

joplass wrote:Hayatou is your typical African. We hug power, all for us. Most on CE will be doing the same. Something is just wrong with Africans and power.
...like Buhari :thumbs:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Here is a story that thinly (I mean, very thinly) veils the intention to suspend COSAFA's Ahmad at the very least. The battle is on and it appears Mr. Hayatou is arming to the teeth, make no mistake about it:
Caf warns Cosafa over planned meeting
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38957419

The Confederation of Africa Football has warned Cosafa over a planned meeting with other member associations which it says is "an attempt to destabilise" the governing body.

Phillip Chiyangwa, the chairman of Cosafa - the Council of Southern African Football Associations - has called for a meeting with other African FA chairmen in Harare in Zimbabwe on 24 February.

In a letter sent by Caf on behalf of president Issa Hayatou, the governing body tells Cosafa "you do not have any authority to convene such a meeting, without Caf knowledge nor without its required approval".

It adds: "Convening a meeting with representatives of many member associations outside Cosafa zone is deemed to represent an attempt to destabilise Caf.

"We draw your attention to the obligation of all zonal unions to respect the authority of Caf, and not to conduct in any activities that undermine the common objectives of Caf, for the benefit of African football development.

"The Caf Executive Committee reserves it rights to sanction any infringement to the Caf statutes."

Caf's warning comes shortly after Cosafa announced it had unanimously endorsed Ahmad Ahmad as a presidential candidate in upcoming Caf elections.

Ahmad, currently the head of Madagascar's FA, had already outlined his intention to challenge long-standing Caf leader Hayatou in March's elections in Ethiopia.

Hayatou is seeking an eight term in office.

Chiyangwa has already sent a reply to Caf's warning, writing "I was taken aback, to say the least, by the tone of your letter and the clear insinuation that such a gathering between presidents of member associations on the African continent would be considered, outrightly, as an attempt to destabilise Caf".

He adds that Caf's statutes "promote friendly relations between National Associations, zonal unions, clubs, officials and players" and insists the meeting is for "that very objective".

Chiyangwa's letter also refers to Fifa's statues relating to the protecting of human rights which he says include "freedom of Association of member associations and zonal unions for the development and growth of the game on our continent".
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mcal wrote:
joplass wrote:Hayatou is your typical African. We hug power, all for us. Most on CE will be doing the same. Something is just wrong with Africans and power.
...like Buhari :thumbs:
Buhari has been in power for twenty months, Hayatou since 1988.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Enugu II wrote:Here is a story that thinly (I mean, very thinly) veils the intention to suspend COSAFA's Ahmad at the very least. The battle is on and it appears Mr. Hayatou is arming to the teeth, make no mistake about it:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/*****

The Confederation of Africa Football has warned Cosafa over a planned meeting with other member associations which it says is "an attempt to destabilise" the governing body.

Phillip Chiyangwa, the chairman of Cosafa - the Council of Southern African Football Associations - has called for a meeting with other African FA chairmen in Harare in Zimbabwe on 24 February.

In a letter sent by Caf on behalf of president Issa Hayatou, the governing body tells Cosafa "you do not have any authority to convene such a meeting, without Caf knowledge nor without its required approval".

It adds: "Convening a meeting with representatives of many member associations outside Cosafa zone is deemed to represent an attempt to destabilise Caf.

"We draw your attention to the obligation of all zonal unions to respect the authority of Caf, and not to conduct in any activities that undermine the common objectives of Caf, for the benefit of African football development.

"The Caf Executive Committee reserves it rights to sanction any infringement to the Caf statutes."

Caf's warning comes shortly after Cosafa announced it had unanimously endorsed Ahmad Ahmad as a presidential candidate in upcoming Caf elections.

Ahmad, currently the head of Madagascar's FA, had already outlined his intention to challenge long-standing Caf leader Hayatou in March's elections in Ethiopia.

Chiyangwa has already sent a reply to Caf's warning, writing "I was taken aback, to say the least, by the tone of your letter and the clear insinuation that such a gathering between presidents of member associations on the African continent would be considered, outrightly, as an attempt to destabilise Caf".

He adds that Caf's statutes "promote friendly relations between National Associations, zonal unions, clubs, officials and players" and insists the meeting is for "that very objective".

Chiyangwa's letter also refers to Fifa's statues relating to the protecting of human rights which he says include "freedom of Association of member associations and zonal unions for the development and growth of the game on our continent".
E11, this is very imteresting. At least it is now out there and the battle lines have been drawn. The old dog Hayatou was never going to go down without an almighty struggle.

as you maybe aware, this is more of a proxy battle between Hayatou and Infantino. Sadly, we Africans are now split and both sides will claim they are doing what is best for Africa.

It is rumoured there are some big hitters behind COSAFA, including the leaders of African countries who have instructed their FAs to vote with COSAFA. COSAFA not only have FIFA's backing and promises if they win, Infantino has been actively lobbying heads of state and FA Presidents, Also rumoured is the numbers of countries who supported Infantino in the FIFA presidential vote have actually increased with defections from Hayatou since Infantino won. Perhaps buoyed by this, Chiyangwa is confident to not only respond publicly in defiance of Hayatou, he also had the balls to call such a meeting in the first place.

If the deep, deep billionaire pockets of Tokyo Sewale is behind COSAFA, then Hayatou has a major problem. Indeed the wording of Chiyangwa's letter citing Human Rights is typical of that of a typical freedom fighter that is Sewale. Their response immediately sought to cast aspersions on Hayatou as a dictator and oppressor who has no regard for the rights of others. This is from old ANC school and Sewale was a prominent member of that school.

Sewale was the one who engineered the split of the African vote that made Infantino's Presidency a reality. Sewale cannot stand Hayatou and it is alleged he swore to remove Hayatou, after he was patronisingly slapped down like a little boy by Hayatou when he declared his intention to stand for the FIFA's Presidency. It is rumoured that advances made by Hayatou since he lost out in the FIFA Presidency vote, have been rejected by Sewale.

Curiously, I noted with interest that Hayatou did not try to block Amaju Pinnick's FIFA membership bid via CAF, this despite Pinnick being rumoured to be an active campaigner against Hayatou's choice for the FIFA's Presidency. Indeed, I do not think it is a secret that Sewale and Pinnick were brothers in arms on that issue. So what is going on? Has Pinnick changed sides? Or was it an attempt by Hayatou to extend the olive branch so he get a final term. If it was an olive branch, it has failed.

For now, I see this as the first real threat to Hayatou since he became CAF's President. I go as far as to say, it is now a 50/50 fight and if asked to place a bet right now, my money will not be on Hayatou. Why? He might still has the numbers on paper but I doubt this numbers will become reality in voting. This is just my assessment of the situation but I am also aware that there is still a lot of fight in the old dog that is Hayatou.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Waffi,

IMHO, Chinyangwa pulling issues about human rights will not stave a ban (Including Ahmad's head on a platter) if they go ahead with the meeting. Why? Hayatou is current President and will oversee such a ban. Make no mistake on that, Infantino or no Infantino. The only recourse Chinyangwa will get is CAS long after election.

A better move will be to have Presidents meet on their own with COSAFA members independently making decisions to attend if necessary. Shaky strat, if you ask me.

Much better is taking costly but quick trips to weak-link countries elsewhere in the continent as in quick stopover diplomacy (LOL). One of those quick links is actually Nigeria where FIFA's recent and quick extension of GIwa's ban points to Infantino/Pinnick link long rumored. Then consider Ghana where the GFA President has worked a deal with Pinnick that will upstage the current incumbent seat on CAF. There are clearly opposition appearing for Hayatou but will it be enough? We shall see but hosting the said meeting will put Ahmad in the cooler for SURE. Bet on it with the hammer coming down on eve of the elections paving way for Hayatou re-elected unopposed.

Waffiman wrote:
Enugu II wrote:Here is a story that thinly (I mean, very thinly) veils the intention to suspend COSAFA's Ahmad at the very least. The battle is on and it appears Mr. Hayatou is arming to the teeth, make no mistake about it:

E11, this is very imteresting. At least it is now out there and the battle lines have been drawn. The old dog Hayatou was never going to go down without an almighty struggle.

as you maybe aware, this is more of a proxy battle between Hayatou and Infantino. Sadly, we Africans are now split and both sides will claim they are doing what is best for Africa.

It is rumoured there are some big hitters behind COSAFA, including the leaders of African countries who have instructed their FAs to vote with COSAFA. COSAFA not only have FIFA's backing and promises if they win, Infantino has been actively lobbying heads of state and FA Presidents, Also rumoured is the numbers of countries who supported Infantino in the FIFA presidential vote have actually increased with defections from Hayatou since Infantino won. Perhaps buoyed by this, Chiyangwa is confident to not only respond publicly in defiance of Hayatou, he also had the balls to call such a meeting in the first place.

If the deep, deep billionaire pockets of Tokyo Sewale is behind COSAFA, then Hayatou has a major problem. Indeed the wording of Chiyangwa's letter citing Human Rights is typical of that of a typical freedom fighter that is Sewale. Their response immediately sought to cast aspersions on Hayatou as a dictator and oppressor who has no regard for the rights of others. This is from old ANC school and Sewale was a prominent member of that school.

Sewale was the one who engineered the split of the African vote that made Infantino's Presidency a reality. Sewale cannot stand Hayatou and it is alleged he swore to remove Hayatou, after he was patronisingly slapped down like a little boy by Hayatou when he declared his intention to stand for the FIFA's Presidency. It is rumoured that advances made by Hayatou since he lost out in the FIFA Presidency vote, have been rejected by Sewale.

Curiously, I noted with interest that Hayatou did not try to block Amaju Pinnick's FIFA membership bid via CAF, this despite Pinnick being rumoured to be an active campaigner against Hayatou's choice for the FIFA's Presidency. Indeed, I do not think it is a secret that Sewale and Pinnick were brothers in arms on that issue. So what is going on? Has Pinnick changed sides? Or was it an attempt by Hayatou to extend the olive branch so he get a final term. If it was an olive branch, it has failed.

For now, I see this as the first real threat to Hayatou since he became CAF's President. I go as far as to say, it is now a 50/50 fight and if asked to place a bet right now, my money will not be on Hayatou. Why? He might still has the numbers on paper but I doubt this numbers will become reality in voting. This is just my assessment of the situation but I am also aware that there is still a lot of fight in the old dog that is Hayatou.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

If Philip Chiyangwa is interested in removing Dicatators maybe he should start with his uncle Robert Mugabe. It was a big joke for me when Chiyangwa was elected president of ZIFA. It was an even bigger joke when they decided to make him president of COSAFA. Zimbabwean and African football cannot progress with charlatans like Chiyangwa in charge.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Gudo wrote:If Philip Chiyangwa is interested in removing Dicatators maybe he should start with his uncle Robert Mugabe. It was a big joke for me when Chiyangwa was elected president of ZIFA. It was an even bigger joke when they decided to make him president of COSAFA. Zimbabwean and African football cannot progress with charlatans like Chiyangwa in charge.
The Mugabe family have said publicly that Chiyangwa is not related to them at all chief

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

I don't like Chiyangwa but Hayatou is picking on the wrong person. Chiyangwa lives for showdowns and wont go down quietly and will drag that hayatou fella through the mud before the fight is over

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2017/02/14/ca ... ngwa-feud/

Caf, Chiyangwa feud
February 14, 2017 in Soccer, Sport
0 3 0
Zifa president, Philip Chiyangwa, has crossed swords with Confederation of African Football (Caf) boss, Issa Hayatou, over his invitation of Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, as well as FA presidents of other countries.

BY Kevin Mapasure

Zifa president Philip Chiyangwa
Infantino has confirmed he will be coming to Zimbabwe following Chiyangwa’s invitation. :thumbs: :thumbs:

The Caf leadership has been agitated by the “meeting”, which, according the continental body, is set to be held in Harare on February 24.

Chiyangwa insisted yesterday that the gathering was simply to celebrate both his birthday :rotf: :rotf: , as well as triumph in the Council of Southern African Football Associations (Cosafa), where he was elected president of the regional body last year.

Hayatou is running for the Caf presidency, where he will be pitted against Madagascar’s Ahmad Ahmad in an election that will be held on March 16 in Ethiopia.

Cosafa members held a meeting at the weekend, where they threw their weight behind Ahmad’s candidature.

Last Saturday, Caf secretary-general, Hicham El Amrani, wrote to Chiyangwa expressing reservations about the gathering in Harare, warning that it could attract sanctions.

The letter reads in part: “The president of Caf, Issa Hayatou, directs me to send you this letter in relation to the above-mentioned subject (convening of presidents of member associations in Harare, Zimbabwe, on February 24, 2017).

“The Caf leadership has been informed that a meeting is convened by yourself in your capacity as Cosafa chairman, in Harare, Zimbabwe on February 24, 2017, right after the Fifa executive summit planned in Johannesburg on February 21, 2017. Such a meeting would not include only presidents of many member associations outside the zonal union of Cosafa. The Caf leadership would like to remind you that you do not have any authority to convene such a meeting, without Caf’s knowledge nor without its required approval.”

Caf suggested that convening such gathering would undermine the continental body’s authority.

“We draw your attention, therefore, to the obligation of all zonal unions to respect the authority of Caf and not to conduct in any activities that undermine the common objectives of Caf for the benefit of African football development. We are keen, therefore, to receive further details of this meeting and we hope that Caf statutes and directives will be fully complied with at all times. The Caf executive committee reserves its rights to sanction any infringement to the Caf statutes.”

Yesterday, Chiyangwa confirmed that Infantino was on the guest list at the gathering, where Hayatou was not invited.

He was clear that he would support Hayatou’s rival at the Caf election.

“We, as Zimbabwe, have a position and our position is that we will support everything that is in tandem with Cosafa resolutions,” he said.

“I do not understand why people are agitated about this gathering, which is only to celebrate my birthday, as well my ascendancy to the Cosafa presidency. When people begin to have an interest in such gatherings, it only means they are scared of the election that is coming.”

Chiyangwa said a lot has been happening and said he snubbed the Africa Cup of Nations finals because he was under Caf surveillance.

Last month, Guinea Bissau Football Association boss, Opes Manuel Nascimento, accused Infantino of dividing Africa, saying the Fifa boss had done nothing for the continent.

“We have elections for the Confederation of African Football coming on March 16 and can you imagine a whole Fifa president is meeting people separately because he wants a change in Africa,” he said.

Chiyangwa leapt to Infantino’s defence, saying: “I listened to an interview granted by Nascimento, where he threw decorum, caution and dignity into the air by not only casting aspersions, but directly throwing tantrums at the personality of the symbol of global football, Infantino,” he said.

“Indeed, the majority of presidents of various federations in Africa hold a radically contrary view and I am constrained to respond on their behalf. We are indeed very proud of him and would continue to pledge our unflinching support and loyalty.”

Hayatou, who has held the Caf top post since 1988, was against the Infantino’s election to the top football post and had said the continent would back Bahrain’s Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim al Khalifa.
Last edited by Comrade Machel on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Samora Machel wrote:
Gudo wrote:If Philip Chiyangwa is interested in removing Dicatators maybe he should start with his uncle Robert Mugabe. It was a big joke for me when Chiyangwa was elected president of ZIFA. It was an even bigger joke when they decided to make him president of COSAFA. Zimbabwean and African football cannot progress with charlatans like Chiyangwa in charge.
The Mugabe family have said publicly that Chiyangwa is not related to them at all chief
And I am the Pope :rotf:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Samora Machel wrote:

I don't like Chiyangwa but Hayatou is picking on the wrong person. Chiyangwa lives for showdowns and wont go down quietly and will drag that hayatou fella through the mud before the fight is over
Chiyangwa is in way over his head here