Ambode moves to renovate National Stadium Lagos

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

Lagos State government has expressed its willingness to renovate the National Stadium Surulere, Lagos. Governor Akinwunmi Ambode made the state’s intent known when he paid a condolence and courtesy visit to the Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung, at his residence in Abuja at the weekend.

“I will like to bring the National Stadium to life. The last time a game was played there was in 2005. There is also the employment aspect of football and hosting of matches at the stadium. That includes the jerseys, branding, mama put, the sign writers, the supporters, merchandising, and so on. We want to bring back the football culture of Lagos State to the National Stadium after its renovation,” Ambode said.

Dalung thanked the governor for his visit and praised Lagos for its successful hosting of the second Lagos City Marathon. He called on the state government to add more entertainment and culture to the event in subsequent editions to get more youths involved and to ensure that Nigerians benefit more from the whooping prize money.

On the renovation of the National Stadium, the minister said he would go through their proposal and work on it. “It is only fair that we hand over the stadium to Lagos State for renovation since we’ve given to Enugu, Bauchi and Kaduna states.

http://guardian.ng/news/ambode-moves-to ... ium-lagos/
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ambode moves to renovate National Stadium Lagos

Post by pajimoh »

Chopping time. Another renovation exercise only to be left to rot again. I'd like to see how much to renovate a relic and compare to the cost of new stadiums all over the place?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Great news!
I am happy
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

They should knock it down and build a new one.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This is no news. Not the first time they have talked about renovating the stadium. I will only care once I see plans, contractor on site working.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

It's the same old story, too much talk and little action, Ambode should focus on renovating Oshodi road and other major road network. What is the situation with the Blue and Red Light rail network.
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

pajimoh wrote:Chopping time. Another renovation exercise only to be left to rot again. I'd like to see how much to renovate a relic and compare to the cost of new stadiums all over the place?
...but the Lagos State govt renovated Teslim Balogun Stadium 10years ago and it is still well maintained
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

mapet wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Chopping time. Another renovation exercise only to be left to rot again. I'd like to see how much to renovate a relic and compare to the cost of new stadiums all over the place?
...but the Lagos State govt renovated Teslim Balogun Stadium 10years ago and it is still well maintained
This stadium had been renovated before. The maintenance of TBS is not a guarantee that this stadium will be maintained. How many stadiums in Lagos can we put to effective use and I'm not just talking about football related activities?

Even the national Stadium in Abuja constantly falls into state of disrepair.
Only stadiums dedicated to season long activities get regular maintenance
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tbite wrote:They should knock it down and build a new one.
Unless they are ready to make a major financial outlay, this wouldn't make sense.
In the current financial circumstances, it sounds to me like they merely want to get the danfo moving tu-ke-tu-ke again, not build a brand new Ferrari.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Damunk wrote:
Unless they are ready to make a major financial outlay, this wouldn't make sense.
In the current financial circumstances, it sounds to me like they merely want to get the danfo moving tu-ke-tu-ke again, not build a brand new Ferrari.
Then they should wait. Let us maximize Teslim for now.

When they are ready to deliver the finances, we build a new one.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Isn't it the responsibility of the federal and not state government to renovate the national stadium?
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Damunk wrote:

Its in a prime area and with the Abuja stadium the federal government should just sell it off to be knocked down, while the state can use Teslim.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Renovating the stadium would be a good idea if they had a local (Lagos) team playing in the NPL that could use it as their home ground every 2 weeks.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Who will occupy the stadium on a regular basis?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

ohenhen1 wrote:This is no news. Not the first time they have talked about renovating the stadium. I will only care once I see plans, contractor on site working.
KPOM!!
yes o
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Naija people can complain :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

wale1974 wrote:
Yes we should complain. If there's no plan to generate funds from the constant use of the stadium then we are throwing good money after bad. The stadium did not get to its current state overnight.
Years of neglect and lack of constant use led us to this point. The question is, what is going to change once it is renovated? Abuja has been abandoned for Uyo. If the Surulere stadium comes back on-line then Uyo is likely to see less action. They both can't see enough action from the national team to keep them viable.

So yes, we should complain in the absence of a viable plan
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

pajimoh wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
Yes we should complain. If there's no plan to generate funds from the constant use of the stadium then we are throwing good money after bad. The stadium did not get to its current state overnight.
Years of neglect and lack of constant use led us to this point. The question is, what is going to change once it is renovated? Abuja has been abandoned for Uyo. If the Surulere stadium comes back on-line then Uyo is likely to see less action. They both can't see enough action from the national team to keep them viable.

While your concerns are noted, you also need to note that the National Stadium is NOT only for football. There are other sports that can make use of the place.

For me, the important thing here is transfer of ownership to Lagos State. If that is done, there are many ways by which Lagos State can raise funds for the renovation and maintenance of the Stadium. Leaving it as it is now is not an option.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wanaj0 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

While your concerns are noted, you also need to note that the National Stadium is NOT only for football. There are other sports that can make use of the place.

For me, the important thing here is transfer of ownership to Lagos State. If that is done, there are many ways by which Lagos State can raise funds for the renovation and maintenance of the Stadium. Leaving it as it is now is not an option.
Renovation may actually be off the table when one considers that the place is in total ruins. It may just be best to tear it down and re-build into a complex that is of mixed-use to increase revenue potential. Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

wanaj0 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
wale1974 wrote:

Mt bother, I don't think you're hearing me :tic: . They are not thinking of renovating the pitch due to lack of use. They are renovating the whole building. That means even the sections for other sports had fallen into disrepair.

There was a thread about the state of the stadium recently. Lets just say it was a terrible mess
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

knock down or downgrade Abuja stadium for local use - direct all funds to renovate maintain and keep Lagos National stadium
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

wale1974 wrote:
With the amount of rubbish that goes on in Nigeria I don't think Nigerians complain enough!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI