Ambode moves to renovate National Stadium Lagos

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

akamoke
Re: Ambode moves to renovate National Stadium Lagos

Post by akamoke »

walesvilla wrote:knock down or downgrade Abuja stadium for local use - direct all funds to renovate maintain and keep Lagos National stadium
I don't think knocking down Abuja is a wise option. The Abuja stadium.can be utilised effectively for.foorball, other sports , concerts etc
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

They should just take it over from the FG.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

akamoke wrote:
walesvilla wrote:knock down or downgrade Abuja stadium for local use - direct all funds to renovate maintain and keep Lagos National stadium
I don't think knocking down Abuja is a wise option. The Abuja stadium.can be utilised effectively for.foorball, other sports , concerts etc
So Nigeria can't have two good stadiums and look after them?They can use Abuja for Athletics and multi sport and turn Lagos into Nigeria's first major football only stadium by doing away with the running track and adding seats!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I fail to see the logic of having two stadia right next to each other. One should be knocked down and turned into a commercial premises for other purposes. I think the federal government should just hand the stadium to he Lagos State government and let it do with it as it pleases.

However, my big problem is that the Teslim Balogun Stadium only has a capacity of 23,000 compared with the 45,000 of the National Stadium. For me, the big mistake was building the Teslim Balogun Stadium. Totally unnecessary!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I fail to see the logic of having two stadia right next to each other. One should be knocked down and turned into a commercial premises for other purposes. I think the federal government should just hand the stadium to he Lagos State government and let it do with it as it pleases.

However, my big problem is that the Teslim Balogun Stadium only has a capacity of 23,000 compared with the 45,000 of the National Stadium. For me, the big mistake was building the Teslim Balogun Stadium. Totally unnecessary!
It's Nigeria.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I fail to see the logic of having two stadia right next to each other. One should be knocked down and turned into a commercial premises for other purposes. I think the federal government should just hand the stadium to he Lagos State government and let it do with it as it pleases.

KPOM.
But remember that for probably a decade, that stadium was known as the Lagos Temporary Stadium. I always felt it started off life as a transient structure until temporary became permanent.
Two stadia next door to each other makes no sense.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Damunk wrote:

KPOM.
But remember that for probably a decade, that stadium was known as the Lagos Temporary Stadium. I always felt it started off life as a transient structure until temporary became permanent.
That stadium has been there since the '60s.It was known as U.A.C stadium.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Kako wrote:
Damunk wrote:

KPOM.
I grew up in Surulere and don't remember a stadium occupying that space. Was it the UAC 'ground'? I really can't remember what was there but you are probably correct that it was some kind of sporting or recreational facility.
At some point however, the official term 'temporary stadium' came into our consciousness and there it was, this ugly structure which after many years of 'temporariness' became the solid physical structure it is today. It could well be that the National Stadium next door simply overshadowed everything around it, including the little stadium across the road.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

There is actually some sense in it.

Firstly they belong to DIFFERENT owners. They are also of different capacities so can be complementary to each other. Considering how central Surulere is, good location.

Lagos State has managed to put Teslim Balogun to good use. Hopefully if they take over the National Stadium, they can probably do the same.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Chopping time. Another renovation exercise only to be left to rot again. I'd like to see how much to renovate a relic and compare to the cost of new stadiums all over the place?
Naija people can complain :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo: :boo:
Yes we should complain. If there's no plan to generate funds from the constant use of the stadium then we are throwing good money after bad. The stadium did not get to its current state overnight.
Years of neglect and lack of constant use led us to this point. The question is, what is going to change once it is renovated? Abuja has been abandoned for Uyo. If the Surulere stadium comes back on-line then Uyo is likely to see less action. They both can't see enough action from the national team to keep them viable.

So yes, we should complain in the absence of a viable plan
While your concerns are noted, you also need to note that the National Stadium is NOT only for football. There are other sports that can make use of the place.

For me, the important thing here is transfer of ownership to Lagos State. If that is done, there are many ways by which Lagos State can raise funds for the renovation and maintenance of the Stadium. Leaving it as it is now is not an option.
Renovation may actually be off the table when one considers that the place is in total ruins. It may just be best to tear it down and re-build into a complex that is of mixed-use to increase revenue potential. Just my tuppence.
For as long as there is no major STRUCTURAL issues, 'renovation' will work. The problem with the National Stadium is maintenance. Give it a facelift and ensure that there is appropriate maintenance strategies in place. You can even have a facilities management contract for the maintenance.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Waste of money repairing that stadium. What they should actually do tear it down and then build a sport complex at the site of the Onikan stadium. It can be a 60K seater multi sports complex. Have a high performance center there. It can be a private public partnership don't involve the federal government.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Tbite wrote:They should knock it down and build a new one.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Damunk wrote:
Kako wrote:
Damunk wrote:

KPOM.
I grew up in Surulere and don't remember a stadium occupying that space. Was it the UAC 'ground'? I really can't remember what was there but you are probably correct that it was some kind of sporting or recreational facility.
At some point however, the official term 'temporary stadium' came into our consciousness and there it was, this ugly structure which after many years of 'temporariness' became the solid physical structure it is today. It could well be that the National Stadium next door simply overshadowed everything around it, including the little stadium across the road.

The old UAC ground is now converted to Lagos State stadium.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ohenhen1 wrote:Waste of money repairing that stadium. What they should actually do tear it down and then build a sport complex at the site of the Onikan stadium. It can be a 60K seater multi sports complex. Have a high performance center there. It can be a private public partnership don't involve the federal government.
How much space do you have at Onikan for a big stadium???
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wanaj0 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:Waste of money repairing that stadium. What they should actually do tear it down and then build a sport complex at the site of the Onikan stadium. It can be a 60K seater multi sports complex. Have a high performance center there. It can be a private public partnership don't involve the federal government.
There is enough space for a big stadium. The place where I first saw a football game live. Can always buy up surrounding property for the sports complex.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

^^^^
Far too central a location in my opinion
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

My suggestion would be to demolish the national stadium and rebuild it complete with a modern shopping complex/mall, restaurants etc. and other revenue generating facilities.

The Teslim Balogun stadium can then be redesigned into either a multipurpose complex like the O2 arena for basketball, arts theatre that can also be used for political rallies to generate additional revenue. Or it can also be turned into a training complex for the National team complete with accommodation etc.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

With all this talk of rebuilding, tear down and renovation where is the money going to come from and what is going to be the ROI?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

http://sportsdayonline.com/lagos-bids-national-stadium/

http://www.thepointng.com/lagos-to-chan ... rass-turf/

Teslim Balogun stadium turf to revert back to grass

http://punchng.com/teslim-balogun-stadi ... rch-yusuf/

Lagos has N10 billion budget.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ ... ioner.html

Lagos to build 5 new stadiums.
Its a Goal wrote:With all this talk of rebuilding, tear down and renovation where is the money going to come from and what is going to be the ROI?
Last edited by folem on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

ohenhen1 wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
There is enough space for a big stadium. The place where I first saw a football game live. Can always buy up surrounding property for the sports complex.

Enough space? Buy up which property? Where will the parking be?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Its a Goal wrote:With all this talk of rebuilding, tear down and renovation where is the money going to come from and what is going to be the ROI?

Public-private partnership.

Sports and Entertainment is big business. LASG can have maybe 20 percent equity.

Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

Is this a Utopian dream or will it ever come to light?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

wanaj0 wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

Enough space? Buy up which property? Where will the parking be?
Ok where will be a good place for the new stadium?. Don't need a big parking space. Can have a multilevel parking garage. can also use public transportation to the stadium.