Congratulations UEFAlona

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Congratulations UEFAlona

Post by Kabalega »

oloye wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:Benteke i cant believe people are blaming a defender for the Neymar penalty. The defender was already falling when Neymar ran into ji, Not like he jumped in front of Neymar and if you notice the defenders tracjectory when falling never changes but rather Neymar stumbles into him

Having said the point on mental toughness is true. PSG were so scared they couldnt even control passes or hold posession for 2 mins. Even a pub team would have defended that lead :curse: :curse:
Go and watch again and tell us where the defender's fall started from. He slipped first outside the box, he lost his balance right outside the box, never fully regained it while trying desperately to stop Neymar. He knew he waa going down but he was still trying to defend , at that point he was going to be clumsy. If i am an attacker all i have to is to run into the path i anticipate him to bundle himself into....he was always going to become an obstacle falling or not. The rule specifies ...impeding, hindering ,obstruction. His fall was clumsy ..the rule never said omit or ignore clumsy fall...the rule says punish obstruction.

The problem here is that when people call footballers dumb, this is one area where footballers exercise intelligence on full flow. If i am in the box and you are running towards me like a headless goat and i jave advantage of the ball...i will make my job easier by simply stepping into your tracks ....call me whatever..i have not breached any rule.

As a defender i have been in that situation when you are falling down and you know you cannot afford to go down and you keep struggling not to..the more you struggle the more clumsy your going down becomes. Often timeyou will stumble towards the ball...doing so hoping you can at least make one last desperate touch. Bow go back and watch what the defender did...we can talk from there.
The center ref called a dive but the 5th official saw an outstretched hand and changed the decision.

At this level, the defenders know how to make their fouls look innocent.
In this case, the PSG defender's hand movements didn't help. The center ref didn't initially see them but the side line official had a good view.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:If you are defending against Barcelona and one of your defenders slip, on his way down, Barcelona's forwards will deliberately run into him and claim a penalty. Neymar did it yesterday among his frequent ugly dives. As for Suarez's dive for the 2nd penalty, it was easily predicted while the ball was in the air. While PSG was incredibly poor, Barcelona remains bad for football. On field blocks on moves like you have in basketball, diving everywhere at the slightest touch with their players rushing to harrass referees while the crowd scream blue murder, Barcelona really is the ugly side of football that we all hate to see. If you must win, win fair and square not by cheating. For our sake, we hope a proper team like Bayern, Real or Juventus hits them hard and knocks them out. Useless team! :boo: :boo:
No disrespect, but how often do we associate dominance in sport with conspiracy theories:

ManU of Sir Alex had Fergie Time...
Liverpool of '77-'90 were adept at ref intimidation...

Flo-Jo was pumped full of steroids, as was Mike Johnson, as was Carl Lewis...

Muhammad Ali was aided by opponents throwing fights...

Rafa Nadal is a PED monster...

Yeah, Barca is useless without cheating, but Neymar can rocket a free-kick from 40yds into the top-corner while Messi averages 40+ goals a season...
Even with such outrageous talent in their ranks, Barca must not dominate...Ridiculous..!
Father Tiko,

I know you have a good historical view of football going back to the 70s. So, I am sure you have seen great sides, like I have. Great sides like Liverpool (in the 70s who were powerful and ruled England and Europe), Nottingham Forest (Shilton, Woodcock, Robertson), the all-conquering AC Milan (Costacurta, Albertini, Gullitt, Rijkaard, Van Basten), Ajax Amsterdam (Kluivert, Kanu, Finidi, Van Der Sarr), Juventus (Ferrara, Torichelli, Lombardo, Del Piero), Man United (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes) Real Madrid (Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul, C-Ron, Bale), Inter Milan (Millito, Materazzi), Chelsea (Drogba, Lampard, Terry) and Bayern Munich (Lahm, Ribery, Robben, Boateng, Muller). These were outstanding teams that ruled by skill, tactics and power.

These teams did not turn diving into an art form like WWE Wrestling. They did not intimidate referees. Barcelona's football is too ugly and always leaves a bad taste in the mouth. The only bright light about Barca is the outstanding Lionel Messi. Messi does not dive, his skill speaks for itself. They don't need to cheat. If they play like all those teams mentioned above, they will get their dues and credit.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Kabalega wrote:
benteke wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:Benteke i cant believe people are blaming a defender for the Neymar penalty. The defender was already falling when Neymar ran into ji, Not like he jumped in front of Neymar and if you notice the defenders tracjectory when falling never changes but rather Neymar stumbles into him

Having said the point on mental toughness is true. PSG were so scared they couldnt even control passes or hold posession for 2 mins. Even a pub team would have defended that lead :curse: :curse:
Unbelievable that a team is being blamed for crumbling after being blatantly disadvantaged by the ref in front of 80k odd screaming Catalans :biggrin:

Let's face it, Barcelona's mental strength simply comes from knowing over the years gone by that whenever they are touched slightly, red after red will award them a penalty or simply a red to the other team.
They have seen it and lived it almost every year, all they have to do is flood the 18 area from the first minute and dive dive dive, the rewards soon come.
Their so called mental strength is a myth to me, when they don't get false penalties or man advantage they can easily get humiliated as we witnessed the hiding they got from Bayern and Madrid
Is this a Zim disease or something?
I've watched this game 3 times and will probably see it again instead of the EPL dross over the weekend.

The only pena in contention was the last one. But the PSG player put his hands on Suarez and clipped him below.
At this level, the defenders commit fouls and make things look innocent.

At this level, the officials do their homework and learn players' tendencies before the game.
So they know whom they are dealing with...

It is not perfect by any stretch, but for amateur fans to question professional refs who have studied these players for the game, and have the benefit of a 5th official behind the line, doesn't make sense.

PSG lost due to their ineptness.

Did the refs score the first 2 crazy Barca goals? NO!
Did the refs prevent Cavani and Di Maria from scoring their one to one chances?

Barca didn't press PSG in Paris and paid for it. They pressed them at the Camp Nou and the rest is history.
This was the first time I saw tough guy Matuidi nervous. :D
Remember the guy who took out Onazi in Brazil and beat Naija.
Honestly if those 2 decisions were fair we wouldn't even still be discussing them right now, we would be clapping hands.

It's possible and actually more honourable for Barcelona to achieve such feats without controversial dirty tricks.
Surely we cannot act like they did this through sheer skill alone.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Everytime Barca wins the same cockroaches crawl out of the woodworks. These are not football fans, even when they masquerade as one. They are EPL fans... Many of them don't know it, but their true calling is the "Spring NFL"...

True football fans will savor the real beauty of football that was expressed in the comeback; the glory, the anguish, the unpredictable. The things that make football the beautiful game.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has said Barcelona coach Luis Enrique's change in reputation from "angel*" to "hero" in such a short space of time sums up management today.

Luis Enrique announced at the start of March that he will be leaving his role in charge of Barca when his contract expires in the summer.

The Catalan has since overseen one of the most memorable comebacks of all time, with his side recovering from a 4-0 first-leg loss at Paris Saint-Germain to win 6-5 on aggregate in the Champions League.

"It just sums it up that two weeks ago he was an angel* and everyone said you have to leave, so he said, 'OK, I go.' Today he is a hero. That sums up the job," Wenger said.

Wenger's contract is also due to expire in the summer, and the Gunners boss is under pressure after a 3-1 loss at Liverpool was followed by a 5-1 hammering by Bayern Munich.

Speaking on Thursday ahead of Saturday's FA Cup tie with Lincoln City, Wenger indicated he is not finished in the game yet.

The FC panel share their thoughts on the prospect of Arsene Wenger leaving Arsenal to manage Paris Saint-Germain.
He added: "I feel all right. I feel very strong, very motivated, ready to give my best.

"The love for the game, the passion for football, the passion for the club, the love of the uncertainty. You have to be a little bit of a gambler."

Reflecting on Barca's incredible comeback, Wenger said: "It is interesting on a psychological front. I wanted to see how Barcelona finished the game and in fact they had half given up. I looked more at it from a tactical point of view -- what is going on mentally in the head of the players?

"At the end of the game even when you have been so long in football you sit there and think: 'How could this happen?' You could see that with Paris Saint-Germain, they froze suddenly, players with experience."

Wenger added that he has worked a formula regarding management, but he is not yet ready to divulge it.

He said: "I will give it to you one day. I am sure you will enjoy it. It is an equation about a manager's job."

http://www.espnfc.us/arsenal/story/3079 ... ot-to-hero
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Goldleaf wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:If you are defending against Barcelona and one of your defenders slip, on his way down, Barcelona's forwards will deliberately run into him and claim a penalty. Neymar did it yesterday among his frequent ugly dives. As for Suarez's dive for the 2nd penalty, it was easily predicted while the ball was in the air. While PSG was incredibly poor, Barcelona remains bad for football. On field blocks on moves like you have in basketball, diving everywhere at the slightest touch with their players rushing to harrass referees while the crowd scream blue murder, Barcelona really is the ugly side of football that we all hate to see. If you must win, win fair and square not by cheating. For our sake, we hope a proper team like Bayern, Real or Juventus hits them hard and knocks them out. Useless team! :boo: :boo:
No disrespect, but how often do we associate dominance in sport with conspiracy theories:

Yeah, Barca is useless without cheating, but Neymar can rocket a free-kick from 40yds into the top-corner while Messi averages 40+ goals a season...
Even with such outrageous talent in their ranks, Barca must not dominate...Ridiculous..!
Father Tiko,

I know you have a good historical view of football going back to the 70s. So, I am sure you have seen great sides, like I have. Great sides like Liverpool (in the 70s who were powerful and ruled England and Europe), Nottingham Forest (Shilton, Woodcock, Robertson), the all-conquering AC Milan (Costacurta, Albertini, Gullitt, Rijkaard, Van Basten), Ajax Amsterdam (Kluivert, Kanu, Finidi, Van Der Sarr), Juventus (Ferrara, Torichelli, Lombardo, Del Piero), Man United (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes) Real Madrid (Zidane, Ronaldo, Raul, C-Ron, Bale), Inter Milan (Millito, Materazzi), Chelsea (Drogba, Lampard, Terry) and Bayern Munich (Lahm, Ribery, Robben, Boateng, Muller). These were outstanding teams that ruled by skill, tactics and power.

These teams did not turn diving into an art form like WWE Wrestling. They did not intimidate referees. Barcelona's football is too ugly and always leaves a bad taste in the mouth. The only bright light about Barca is the outstanding Lionel Messi. Messi does not dive, his skill speaks for itself. They don't need to cheat. If they play like all those teams mentioned above, they will get their dues and credit.
:clap: thank you.
Can't add much except to say that PSG is useless :biggrin:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

benteke wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
benteke wrote:

Unbelievable that a team is being blamed for crumbling after being blatantly disadvantaged by the ref in front of 80k odd screaming Catalans :biggrin:

Let's face it, Barcelona's mental strength simply comes from knowing over the years gone by that whenever they are touched slightly, red after red will award them a penalty or simply a red to the other team.
They have seen it and lived it almost every year, all they have to do is flood the 18 area from the first minute and dive dive dive, the rewards soon come.
Their so called mental strength is a myth to me, when they don't get false penalties or man advantage they can easily get humiliated as we witnessed the hiding they got from Bayern and Madrid
Is this a Zim disease or something?
I've watched this game 3 times and will probably see it again instead of the EPL dross over the weekend.

The only pena in contention was the last one. But the PSG player put his hands on Suarez and clipped him below.
At this level, the defenders commit fouls and make things look innocent.

At this level, the officials do their homework and learn players' tendencies before the game.
So they know whom they are dealing with...

It is not perfect by any stretch, but for amateur fans to question professional refs who have studied these players for the game, and have the benefit of a 5th official behind the line, doesn't make sense.

PSG lost due to their ineptness.

Did the refs score the first 2 crazy Barca goals? NO!
Did the refs prevent Cavani and Di Maria from scoring their one to one chances?

Barca didn't press PSG in Paris and paid for it. They pressed them at the Camp Nou and the rest is history.
This was the first time I saw tough guy Matuidi nervous. :D
Remember the guy who took out Onazi in Brazil and beat Naija.
Honestly if those 2 decisions were fair we wouldn't even still be discussing them right now, we would be clapping hands.

It's possible and actually more honourable for Barcelona to achieve such feats without controversial dirty tricks.
Surely we cannot act like they did this through sheer skill alone.
In case you missed it, many of us are clapping our hands.

I mentioned that I would rather see this game a 3rd time than endure an English game over the weekend. I probably will follow Dortmund and events in La Liga more closely though.

Barca's coach Enrique saw this coming a day before...
There is perhaps only one club in world soccer that could stare at a 4-0 deficit for three weeks and eventually decide that it was no big deal. Barcelona manager Luis Enrique said as much on Tuesday, 24 hours before his side was due to kick off against Paris Saint-Germain.

"If they score four, we can score six...."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/barcelona- ... 1489014504

BTW, ask Ghanaians or Chielini about Suarez before you come complaining about his dives.
Defenders try to cheat too.

I remember, the sublime, well weighted pass that Messi floated into no-man's land for the pena. :shock:
Neymar floated another for Roberto's winning goal.

Barca clearly, did their homework and practiced these passes.
Iniesta's back heel and Suarez's first goal had absolutely nothing to do with the official's but PSG's incompetence.
Care to talk about that?
No doubt about the fact that Barca were the better prepared team for this game.

Did Neymar dive for his FK goal? No!
Did Tar-Stagen dive for the last FK that Neymar floated into no-man's land for the final goal? NO!

Four goals that had absolutely little to do with the officials but PSG's mistakes.
Give credit where it is due.
Barca were the better team and deserve to go through :!:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MENTAL STRENGTH

Post by bamenda boy »

danfo driver wrote:
kofi86 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Those of you who have read my comments know that one of my biggest pet peeves and criticisms of many teams is mental weakness. Personally, i dont care for barcelona, but I am happy they won because it teaches those who do not understand the importance of mental strength in football. That, for me, is one of the most important part of being successful in this game.

Many of Barcelona's players are winners. They know how to win. They have tasted it before and they know how to taste it anytime they want.

What was more telling to me was not that Barca were able to come back after losing 4-0. What spoke volume was when Cavani scored, that could have completely dismantled 98% of the teams in this world. But this Barca looked at defeat in the face and they saoid "foook you!" That cavani goal was noting to them. They didnt breath it, they didnt recognize it and they didnt pay attention to it. They simply realized that their mission had changed. "We now have to score 3!" Simple as that! AND THEY WENT AND THEY FOOOKING SCORED THREE!

THAT IS MENTAL STRENGTH! And that is the kind of football i respect. I support only Nigeria nowadays, and only because I am a nigerian. If not, I wouldnt support any team. I dont know how to deal with losers! I love teams that go out with a mission to assassinate and they fooking do it!

This is what football is to me! ice cold! No pussssy footing! No mental collapse like many teams we see week in, week out!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
and why not support Barcelona or any other mentally strong team?

I dont like Barcelona at all. I respect them, but I dont like them. And their fans repulse me.
What about Cameroon?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Did I read somebody say ojoro? Fhok naw!! I didn't see the game but the highlights. All goals were legit goals. PSG were atrocious!! How do you let one score in less than five minute? Do you not know what is called "Defending?" And I don't like Barcelona!

PSG? Get out of here with that performance!!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Marca are claiming that the ref will be demoted to lesser UEFA games after that performance.

*it's marca so take it with heavy salt n pepper
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Goldleaf wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Father Tiko,

Goldleaf, my bro...
Methinks you're being overly harsh on Barca...

Barca ain't ACMilan...nor Bayern, nor even Van Haal's Ajax...

Barca is different because no dominant team in history is "built" like Barca. For one, Barca lacks the power (physical attributes) of the typical dominant team.
The sages would tell you the holy trinity for dominance in sport are: power, technique, mentality. Foregoing power, Barca challenged that mantra by their unique system.
You'd be hard-pressed to present another dominant side with the physical attributes of Barca at their peak: Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Pedro, Villa, Mascherano, etc (the core of the team populated by 'pygmies')

Needing to dominate possession and tempo means Barca must negate the physical advantage typically enjoyed by the opposition. 'Forcing fouls' (even if by hoodwinking officials - it is called 'playing possum'), ultimately limits the physical play of the opposition; and allows Barca to flourish with possession & tempo.

Harangue Neymar all you might, but you forget Neymar was stretchered off WCup 2014 by a cynical foul? The dude will not last one season if he plays "honest" (taking tackles & shoulder badges - Neymar ain't Ngolo Kante) Playing possum doesn't diminish Neymar's quality. That free-kick is worth a season-ticket and more...

Barca plays possum indeed - haters taunt Barca cheats - but their antics in no way diminish their accomplishments...

And I'm not a Barca fan...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

All these analyses are useless without pictures.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

benteke wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:

Father Tiko,

:clap: thank you.
Can't add much except to say that PSG is useless :biggrin:
I am not a fan os Messi at all but agree tne boy does stay on his feet. Neymar and Suarez are sewer rats when it comes to gamesmanship
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Combination of some awful refereeing and awful defending from PSG. PSG were bricking it. They totally bottled it. Surrendering a 4 goal lead, and losing a tie in which after 87 minutes, the other team had to score 3 goals to win - was simply criminal.

This referee has given some stinkers in the past too. What was most galling is that he initially refused to award the first Barca 'penalty' but relented after Suarez and the other Barca players surrounded him, and hounded him into speaking to the fourth official.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Football should learn from rugby otherwise fans and teams will continue to be robbed

In rugby only the captain can speak to the referee and also we have instant replay and a captain is allowed to request video review

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Kabalega wrote: I've watched this game 3 times and will probably see it again instead of the EPL dross over the weekend.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

but you:
1. can name all the refs in the EPL
2. cannot name ONE league game you watch outside the EPL (Germany, Italy, France, Spain...)

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Combination of some awful refereeing and awful defending from PSG. PSG were bricking it. They totally bottled it. Surrendering a 4 goal lead, and losing a tie in which after 87 minutes, the other team had to score 3 goals to win - was simply criminal.

This referee has given some stinkers in the past too. What was most galling is that he initially refused to award the first Barca 'penalty' but relented after Suarez and the other Barca players surrounded him, and hounded him into speaking to the fourth official.
When a team chasing a deficit suddenly goes 2-0 up well before half time, in their home turf, naturally many of the squad may start panicking.

Arsenal fans may remember that CL tie against AC Milan, when they were also chasing a 0-4 deficit, AC Milan also started panicking, Arsenal came out fighting from the 1st minute and the game ended 3-0 Arsenal, i remember I also got worried on behalf of Milan, but sanity prevailed that day :thumbs:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke, PSG (and the ref) lacked bottle. PSG's defending was shambolic (especially for the first 2 goals). They gifted the first two goals to Barca after their GK flapped at the ball like a bat, and Kurzawa's tragi-comic own goal.

The only good news is that the ref Deniz Aytekin will be demoted: http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/10/uefa-to-s ... n-6500425/
benteke wrote: When a team chasing a deficit suddenly goes 2-0 up well before half time, in their home turf, naturally many of the squad may start panicking.

Arsenal fans may remember that CL tie against AC Milan, when they were also chasing a 0-4 deficit, AC Milan also started panicking, Arsenal came out fighting from the 1st minute and the game ended 3-0 Arsenal, i remember I also got worried on behalf of Milan, but sanity prevailed that day :thumbs:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Samora Machel wrote:Football should learn from rugby otherwise fans and teams will continue to be robbed

In rugby only the captain can speak to the referee and also we have instant replay and a captain is allowed to request video review
Stop parroting Van Basten's ill advised plans.

The ref should be able to communicate directly to the players because things get lost in translation.

Besides, the center refs now have the ability to control players mobbing them. All they have to do is warn them and issue yellows to subsequent violators. There is no need for new laws.

Your suggestion adds a layer between the players and the officials which makes things worse.

BTW, as an EPL fan boy, do you know that EPL refs go to EPL team training sessions just to get closer to the players?
This led to drastic improvements in game day behavior because a ref could tell a Suarez, that "I know you dive a lot and will keep an eye on you this weekend." Suarez could reply that "But these idiots hack me all the time and you call the fouls.." Come game day, Suarez would behave but be protected from EPL goons.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Kabalega wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:Football should learn from rugby otherwise fans and teams will continue to be robbed

Stop parroting Van Basten's ill advised plans.

The ref should be able to communicate directly to the players because things get lost in translation.

Besides, the center refs now have the ability to control players mobbing them. All they have to do is warn them and issue yellows to subsequent violators. There is no need for new laws.

Your suggestion adds a layer between the players and the officials which makes things worse.

BTW, as an EPL fan boy, do you know that EPL refs go to EPL team training sessions just to get closer to the players?
This led to drastic improvements in game day behavior because a ref could tell a Suarez, that "I know you dive a lot and will keep an eye on you this weekend." Suarez could reply that "But these idiots hack me all the time and you call the fouls.." Come game day, Suarez would behave but be protected from EPL goons.
For starters I didnt even van Basten has said similar but maybe if you watched rugby you would know this is a point thats brought up a lot. When I got to the bit you called me a fan boy. I gave up

I have been lambasting the EPL long before you joined this forum :rotf:

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

txj wrote:Everytime Barca wins the same cockroaches crawl out of the woodworks. These are not football fans, even when they masquerade as one. They are EPL fans... Many of them don't know it, but their true calling is the "Spring NFL"...

True football fans will savor the real beauty of football that was expressed in the comeback; the glory, the anguish, the unpredictable. The things that make football the beautiful game.
pardon me, but what has this got to do with EPL/EPL fanboys ?

We are talking about a champions league game
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

txj wrote:
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has said Barcelona coach Luis Enrique's change in reputation from "angel*" to "hero" in such a short space of time sums up management today.

Luis Enrique announced at the start of March that he will be leaving his role in charge of Barca when his contract expires in the summer.

The Catalan has since overseen one of the most memorable comebacks of all time, with his side recovering from a 4-0 first-leg loss at Paris Saint-Germain to win 6-5 on aggregate in the Champions League.

"It just sums it up that two weeks ago he was an angel* and everyone said you have to leave, so he said, 'OK, I go.' Today he is a hero. That sums up the job," Wenger said.

Wenger's contract is also due to expire in the summer, and the Gunners boss is under pressure after a 3-1 loss at Liverpool was followed by a 5-1 hammering by Bayern Munich.

Speaking on Thursday ahead of Saturday's FA Cup tie with Lincoln City, Wenger indicated he is not finished in the game yet.

The FC panel share their thoughts on the prospect of Arsene Wenger leaving Arsenal to manage Paris Saint-Germain.
He added: "I feel all right. I feel very strong, very motivated, ready to give my best.

"The love for the game, the passion for football, the passion for the club, the love of the uncertainty. You have to be a little bit of a gambler."

Reflecting on Barca's incredible comeback, Wenger said: "It is interesting on a psychological front. I wanted to see how Barcelona finished the game and in fact they had half given up. I looked more at it from a tactical point of view -- what is going on mentally in the head of the players?

"At the end of the game even when you have been so long in football you sit there and think: 'How could this happen?' You could see that with Paris Saint-Germain, they froze suddenly, players with experience."

Wenger added that he has worked a formula regarding management, but he is not yet ready to divulge it.

He said: "I will give it to you one day. I am sure you will enjoy it. It is an equation about a manager's job."

http://www.espnfc.us/arsenal/story/3079 ... ot-to-hero
You are talking about the same Arsene Wenger who was fuming about the ref the other day because of the injustice his team suffered and subsequently crumbled :biggrin:
Maybe he could have talked about mentality then, but i see he is also calling for video replays.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

List of some of Barcelona opponents awarded red cards over the years in Champions League

Name: Didier Drogba
Team: Chelsea Stage: Last-16 first leg
When: Feb 2005 Score prior to red card: Chelsea winning 1-0 Final score: Barca win 2-1
What happened: Two bookable offences

Name: Luis Vidigal
Team: Udinese
Stage: Group stage
When: Sept 2005 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 3-1 Final score: Barca win 4-1

Name: Asier Del Horno
Team: Chelsea
Stage: Last-16 first leg
When: Feb 2006 Score prior to red card: 0-0 Final score: Barca win 2-1
What happened: Straight red for bringing down Messi

Name: Jens Lehmann
Team: Arsenal
Stage: Final
When: May 2006 Score prior to red card: 0-0 Final score: Barca win 2-1
What happened: Straight red for bringing down Samuel Eto'o

Name: Rui Patrício
Team: Sporting Lisbon
When: Nov 2008 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 4-2 Final score: Barca win 5-2
What happened: Straight red for fouling Bojan

Name: Juninho Pernambucano
Team: Lyon
Stage: Last-16 second leg
When: Mar 2009 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 4-2 (5-3 agg) Final score: Barca win 5-2 (6-3 agg)

Name: Thiago Motta
Team: Inter Milan
Stage: Semi-finals second leg
When: Apr 2010 Score prior to red card: 0-0 (2-2 agg) Final score: Inter win 1-0 (3-2 agg)
What happened: Straight red for hand-off on Sergio Busquets

Name: Robin van Persie
Team: Arsenal
When: Mar 2011 Score prior to red card: 1-1 (Arsenal winning 3-2 agg) Final score: Barca win 3-1 (4-3 agg)

Name: Pepe
Team: Real Madrid
Stage: Semi-finals first leg
When: Apr 2011 Score prior to red card: 0-0 Final score: Barca win 2-0
What happened: Straight red for high challenge on Dani Alves

Name: Marian Cisovsky
Team: Viktoria Plzen
When: Nov 2011 Score prior to red card: 0-0 Final score: Barca win 4-0
What happened: Straight red for fouling Messi

Name: Alberto Aquilani
Team: AC Milan
When: Nov 2011 Score prior to red card: 1-1 Final score: Barca win 3-2

Name: John Terry
Team: Chelsea
Stage: Semi-finals second leg
When: Apr 2012 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 1-0 (1-1 agg) Final score: Chelsea win 2-1 (3-2 agg)
What happened: Straight red card for off-the-ball incident

Name: Scott Brown
Team: Celtic
When: Oct 2013 Score prior to red card: 0-0 Final score: Barca win 1-0
What happened: Straight red for appearing to kick Neymar

Name: Joel Veltman
Team: Ajax Stage: Group stage
When: Nov 2013 Score prior to red card: Ajax winning 2-0 Final score: Ajax win 2-1
What happened: Straight red for fouling Neymar

Name: Martin Demichelis
Team: Manchester City
When: Feb 2014 Score prior to red card: 0-0 Final score: Barca win 2-0
What happened: Straight red for fouling Messi

Name: Pablo Zabaleta
Team: Manchester City
When: Mar 2014 Score prior to red card: 1-1 (Barca winning 3-1 agg) Final score: Barca win 2-1 (4-1 agg)

Name: Joel Veltman
Team: Ajax
When: Nov 2014 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 1-0 Final score: Barca win 2-0

Name: Joao Guilherme
Team: APOEL
When: Nov 2014 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 3-0 Final score: Barca win 4-0

Name: Gael Clichy
Team: Manc City
When: Feb 2015 Score prior to red card: Barca winning 2-1 Final score: Barca win 2-1

Name: Fernando Torres
Team: Atletico Madrid
Stage: Quarter-finals first leg
When: Apr 2016 Score prior to red card: Atletico winning 1-0 Final score: Barca win 2-1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... riker.html