League Bands (Tiers)n and Super Eagles Call up

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
League Bands (Tiers)n and Super Eagles Call up

Post by chief nfachairman »

I personally feel we need to have a guide for SE call-ups especially when we recommend names. I also feel the level of football played by players goes a long way in determining the strength of the national team. Its time we start to challenge for world titles and we cant do that with a bunch of hey yous, kumburs, bench warmers and lower division players.

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:
England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France
- those these bands should be regular first team starters or Impact/ super subs in the Premier Divsion League.

BAND 2:
Holland, Turkey, Belgium, Portugal, Greece, Russia
- Must be regular first team starter in the premier Division league.

BAND 3:
Brazil, Argentina and Rest of Europe (Norway, Austria etc) and except the likes of Albania, Estonia, FInland, Luxemburg, etc.
- Must be the best player in his position in the Premier div of league (Troost Ekong in Norway) or totally lighting up the whole league (Kayode Olarenwaju)

BAND 4:
Top African, Middle east and Asian league
- must be lighting up the whole continent and should seek to move to better leagues before an invite.

Oshe!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: League Bands (Tiers)n and Super Eagles Call up

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Suggested the same 2yrs ago but CE experts said no. I think rohr is implementing a similar system though.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

chief nfachairman wrote:I personally feel we need to have a guide for SE call-ups especially when we recommend names. I also feel the level of football played by players goes a long way in determining the strength of the national team. Its time we start to challenge for world titles and we cant do that with a bunch of hey yous, kumburs, bench warmers and lower division players.

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:
- those these bands should be regular first team starters or Impact/ super subs in the Premier Divsion League.

BAND 2:

BAND 3:
Brazil, Argentina and Rest of Europe (Norway, Austria etc) and except the likes of Albania, Estonia, FInland, Luxemburg, etc.
- Must be the best player in his position in the Premier div of league (Troost Ekong in Norway) or totally lighting up the whole league (Kayode Olarenwaju)

BAND 4:
- must be lighting up the whole continent and should seek to move to better leagues before an invite.

Oshe!
we are in 2017 , many league all over the world are saturated with quality teams. a so called tier one team called assnal lost 10-2... it matters not. Egypt and Cameroon made the AFOCN finals, how many of their players play for the likes of Barca etc
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The suggested system only makes sense if Nigerian players are distributed in leagues based on talent. Unfortunately, that is not the case for several reasons. First, Players go where the money is immediately available to them and not based on these tiers. Second, agent quality is critical to where a player ends up. Third, scouting is not 100% effective nor is it exhaustive. But beyond a litany of variables that critical question the effectiveness of such a system, the local league should not be the lowest tier as it has the best case of being location where most young and upcoming players will likely be. Sure, one can argue that the SE is not a place for such a player but apparently Rohr is looking at such players and you can find a few that may be deserving.

Let me add that while the tiers offer likelihood that invitation could go to all levels, I fear that such may deny a deserving player simply because he is local and yet not considered the best in the continent. For me it should be good enough that the said player can plausibly compete against others invitee. That should be the only consideration.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

All those Chad, Swaziland, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia etc that we struggle to beat, what was their players' league band? Not to talk of the Congos, Zambias etc. When Agogo was terrorizing us for Ghana what was his league tier? We are paying managers to do a job and their success depends on players so let them do their job and find the right fit for whatever path they have chosen to take towards success and we fire them if found to be clueless.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

YemiBrazil wrote:All those Chad, Swaziland, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia etc that we struggle to beat, what was their players' league band? Not to talk of the Congos, Zambias etc. When Agogo was terrorizing us for Ghana what was his league tier? We are paying managers to do a job and their success depends on players so let them do their job and find the right fit for whatever path they have chosen to take towards success and we fire them if found to be clueless.
even our 2 best WC and AFCON winning squads (94 and 13) were made up of some players playing in lower leagues etc
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:All those Chad, Swaziland, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia etc that we struggle to beat, what was their players' league band? Not to talk of the Congos, Zambias etc. When Agogo was terrorizing us for Ghana what was his league tier? We are paying managers to do a job and their success depends on players so let them do their job and find the right fit for whatever path they have chosen to take towards success and we fire them if found to be clueless.
even our 2 best WC and AFCON winning squads (94 and 13) were made up of some players playing in lower leagues etc

Where were the majority of them based ?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Bigpokey24 wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:I personally feel we need to have a guide for SE call-ups especially when we recommend names. I also feel the level of football played by players goes a long way in determining the strength of the national team. Its time we start to challenge for world titles and we cant do that with a bunch of hey yous, kumburs, bench warmers and lower division players.

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:

BAND 2:

BAND 3:

BAND 4:

Oshe!
we are in 2017 , many league all over the world are saturated with quality teams. a so called tier one team called assnal lost 10-2... it matters not. Egypt and Cameroon made the AFOCN finals, how many of their players play for the likes of Barca etc

A "big team" like arsenal losing to non-leaguers is not impossible but is an exception.

Now, the standard of the African continental championship is quite poor. We can dominate Africa even if all our players play in china and cambodia. Its time we aim higher
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Enugu II wrote:The suggested system only makes sense if Nigerian players are distributed in leagues based on talent. Unfortunately, that is not the case for several reasons. First, Players go where the money is immediately available to them and not based on these tiers. Second, agent quality is critical to where a player ends up. Third, scouting is not 100% effective nor is it exhaustive. But beyond a litany of variables that critical question the effectiveness of such a system, the local league should not be the lowest tier as it has the best case of being location where most young and upcoming players will likely be. Sure, one can argue that the SE is not a place for such a player but apparently Rohr is looking at such players and you can find a few that may be deserving.

Let me add that while the tiers offer likelihood that invitation could go to all levels, I fear that such may deny a deserving player simply because he is local and yet not considered the best in the continent. For me it should be good enough that the said player can plausibly compete against others invitee. That should be the only consideration.
Boss,
i agree with some of your summations to a certain extent. The minute you chose money over top level football (Ighalo) and instead of vice-versa (Onazi), passion is gone. Also, the cream of the crop rise to the top. Players that start out in low leagues that are of true quality would definitely climb up the ladder steadily (Samuel Kalu, Leon Balogun, etc).

2ndly, playing in poor leagues would definitely bring down the standard and quality of the players. E.G China. Majority of the chinese players (70% of starting players in each game), don't know their left from their right.

3rdly, I didnt have Nigerian league in mind when i was doing the banding. Nigerian League is a given. it should be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd consideration for supply of players to the National Team. I actually support a quota system of minimum of 3 homebased players in any list.

4thly, from ROhrs list, he has hardly invited any low league for serious consideration. The OSimhen and Sarenren-obazees are invites for developmental reasons while there would always be 1 or 2 exceptions like Musa Mohammed.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

And the Swazilands still remain Swaziland on continental stage.

Please lets look further than Africa. We need to challenge the world. We have the right players coming through, a good coach and an increasingly useful NFF (When there's money). Lets build to fight on world stage and we would dominate Africa but ofcourse struggle once in a while with Swaziland and probably get terrorized by Aogo once in his whole lifetime (could probably be the best match he's ever played in his life).
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

chief nfachairman wrote:
And the Swazilands still remain Swaziland on continental stage.

Please lets look further than Africa. We need to challenge the world. We have the right players coming through, a good coach and an increasingly useful NFF (When there's money). Lets build to fight on world stage and we would dominate Africa but ofcourse struggle once in a while with Swaziland and probably get terrorized by Aogo once in his whole lifetime (could probably be the best match he's ever played in his life).
What gave you the impression that I wasn't looking beyond Africa? My point is that all these tier stuff is each manager's headache depending on how he want to build his team. The manager will need to go through the national pool and identify players that fit into his plan. Some players are in your Tier 1 but simply melt when they are not surrounded by All Tier 1 team-mates while some Tier 1 players will automatically assume leadership in that situation and shine. Some Tier 1/2 will simply turn mediocre when they face hard tackling local veterans from Congo, others will rise to the occasion. That's what we are paying a Manager to identify. We have been there with the SE and we also had the likes of Senegal at Korea/Japan 2002 showing us that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts meaning that it's almost always about the 'team' that you build from the national pool. Cameroon just had a similar experience at the ANC. The other big issue is building an identity - a semblance of a pattern. For that, you need continuity at specific layers of management.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

I'm sure most of the Burkina Faso and Cameroon players are playing in the EPL :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: The thing weak me.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

wale1974 wrote:I'm sure most of the Burkina Faso and Cameroon players are playing in the EPL :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
And lets see if that Burkina Faso or Cameroun can qualify for the world cup and if they do, lets see of they even go past the group stages. We won the Afcon with a bunch of very good players and very forgettable players went to the WC and struggled. Africa is not an issue. I am talking about Nigeria dominating not only Africa but the world. IF we keep looking at Africa as the ultimate prize, we would keep struggling in Africa. Nigeria needs to qualify for the world cup and get to atleast the Semis. we set our targets and goals high, then we would dominate Africa and prolly the world. Its time we started thinking BIG in this country.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

If the Nigerian league can't afford to keep its best players it's lazy to assume that good players won't end up playing in so called minor leagues elsewhere,a coach should do what he's payed to do and select a good team and if he can't detect talent for himself and relies on players geographical whereabouts he is surely doing something wrong!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

nfachairman,

TBH, your model is better and more flexible compared to either Oliseh's unfortunate dictate during his time or an interpretation of Rohr's thinking pertaining to China. My only beef is that it is still restrictive to the degree of flexibility that a manager needs to select the best possible team for Nigeria.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

If we follow your bandage, we will lose all our up and coming dual citizen Naijas. We need to tie em up before dey blow!

Cmoke :D :D

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:

BAND 2:

BAND 3:

BAND 4:

Oshe!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Cmoke wrote:If we follow your bandage, we will lose all our up and coming dual citizen Naijas. We need to tie em up before dey blow!

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:

BAND 2:

BAND 3:

BAND 4:

Oshe!
Thank you,Why limit your options when you can't even pick players from the Nigerian League?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

E2,

No mind am.

He failed to realize that if Westehoff followed his yeye bandage below, our acclaimed WC 1994 team will not exist!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D
Eaglezbeak wrote:
Cmoke wrote:If we follow your bandage, we will lose all our up and coming dual citizen Naijas. We need to tie em up before dey blow!

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:

BAND 2:

BAND 3:

BAND 4:

Oshe!
Thank you,Why limit your options when you can't even pick players from the Nigerian League?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

chief nfachairman's post is a poster child for the idea that anything you read about on CE, you take with a grain of salt. By his estimation, players who ply their trade in "lowly" Mexico and the MLS aren't worth considering, this in spite of the fact that one of our most productive forwards ever once played in the MLS. The World Cup has provided ample examples of the repudiation of the theory that the best players come from the biggest clubs. Neither Roga Milla nor Okocha nor Ahmed Musa played for big clubs but their quality was nonetheless evident. Thankfully, chief nfachairman has no hand in the selection of the SuperEagles :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

You are still referring to 22yrs ago? :shock:

Even that 94 team was a properly assembled team of players playing in good leagues (Band 1 and 2) with some very few exceptions (emenalo,oliha, ezuego) just as league band i suggested.

D.O.B. CLUB
1 GK Peter Rufai 24 Aug 1963 Go Ahead Eagles (NED)
2 DF Augustine Eguavoen 19 Aug 1965 Kortrijk (BEL)
3 DF Benedict Iroha 29 Nov 1969 Vitesse Arnhem (NED)
4 DF Stephen Keshi 31 Jan 1962 Molenbeek (BEL)
5 DF Uche Okechukwu 27 Sep 1967 Fenerbahce (TUR)
6 DF Chidi Nwanu 01 Jan 1967 RSC Anderlecht (BEL)
7 FW Finidi George 15 Apr 1971 Ajax (NED)
8 MD Oliha Thompson 04 Oct 1968 Africa Sports (CIV)
9 FW Rashidi Yekini 23 Oct 1963 Vitoria Setubal (POR)
10 MD Augustine Okocha 14 Aug 1973 Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)
11 FW Emmanuel Amunike 25 Dec 1970 Zamalek (EGY)
12 MD Samson Siasia 14 Aug 1967 Nantes (FRA)
13 DF Emeka Ezeugo 16 Dec 1965 Honved (HUN)
14 FW Daniel Amokachi 30 Dec 1972 Club Brügge (BEL)
15 MD Sunday Oliseh 14 Sep 1974 RC Liege (BEL)
16 GK Alloysius Agu 12 Jul 1967 RC Liege (BEL)
17 FW Victor Ikpeba 12 Jun 1973 AS Monaco (FRA)
18 FW Efan Ekoku 08 Jun 1967 Norwich City (ENG)
19 DF Michael Emenalo 14 Jul 1965 (no club)
20 FW Uche Okafor 08 Aug 1967 Hannover 96 (GER)
21 MD Mutiu Adepoju 22 Dec 1970 Racing Santander (SPA)
22 GK Wilfred Agbonavbare 05 Oct 1966 Rayo Vallecano (SPA)

Cmoke wrote:E2,

No mind am.

He failed to realize that if Westehoff followed his yeye bandage below, our acclaimed WC 1994 team will not exist!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D
Eaglezbeak wrote:

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:

BAND 2:

BAND 3:

BAND 4:

Oshe!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Like i mentioned to Enugu II, there would always be exceptions. 3-5 exceptions for the encouragement quota (Osimhen etc), tying down the Oyinbos, local league breakout player (Mba) and that one player that is extremely talented in that Odd league (Amuneke in Zamalek).

Below are my suggestions

BAND 1:

BAND 2:

BAND 3:

BAND 4:

Oshe!
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Mr TTT,
if you read my post well, then i doubt you would make this statement. I didnt say BIG Clubs. INfact i am advocating for callups for top players in league BAnd 1 to 3 which include countries like France, Spain, Russia, Austria etc albeit with conditions.

Roger Milla and Okocha played in Band 1 and 2 leagues.

Please who is the MLS player you referring to?
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:chief nfachairman's post is a poster child for the idea that anything you read about on CE, you take with a grain of salt. By his estimation, players who ply their trade in "lowly" Mexico and the MLS aren't worth considering, this in spite of the fact that one of our most productive forwards ever once played in the MLS. The World Cup has provided ample examples of the repudiation of the theory that the best players come from the biggest clubs. Neither Roga Milla nor Okocha nor Ahmed Musa played for big clubs but their quality was nonetheless evident. Thankfully, chief nfachairman has no hand in the selection of the SuperEagles :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.