My full and official match report

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
My full and official match report

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Late Iheanacho penalty saves Eagles blushes in friendly against Senegal earning 1-1 draw at Barnet

NIGERIA'S Super Eagles snatched a 1-1 draw in their first of two London-based friendly games last night thanks to an 82nd minute equaliser from the penalty spot in a poorly attended match against Senegal's Lions of Teranga.

In a game that only attracted 1,400 fans, the Eagles succumbed to a 56th minute goal from a highly physical Senegal team before coming back to snatch a draw. In the blustery wind of Barnet FC's stadium known as The Hives, Nigeria's blushes were spared by Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho, who converted from the spot after being brought down for a penalty by Senegalese goalkeeper Pape Ndiaye.

Arranged to test out the Eagles against a physically dominant side similar to Cameroon who they will face in a World Cup qualifier in August, the match saw Nigeria bullied and harried by a robust Senegal team. Right from the kick-off, the Eagles were out-physicalled, manhandled and roughed up by the no-nonsense Lions of Teranga.

Senegal nearly took the lead early on in the game when Moussa Sow had a free header on target in the 20th minute but the alert reflexes of Nigerian goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi saved the day. Akpeyi, who only arrived from South Africa on the morning of the match, managed to push the ball unto the woodwork and prevent a certain goal.

Encouraged by this, the Lions of Teranga continued to forage for a goal but the eagles central defensive partnership of Leon Balogun and William Ekong managed to hold them at bay. They also continued their robust play and in the 25th minute, this resulted in a disaster for Nigeria as skipper Ogenyi Onazi was badly injured in a collision with Mame Diouf and had to be stretchered off.

Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr responded by bringing on the equally physical John Ogu and his introduction stabilised things as he and man-of-the-match Winifred Ndidi had the physicality to restore some stability in midfield. From then on, Nigeria took the game to Senegal, creating several openings.

However, Iheanacho and Ahmed Musa were wasteful in front of goal squandering several clear chances with the Manchester City striker even shooting wide from six yards out. Thanks to this profligacy, Senegal managed to go into the break with a clean sheet after what appeared to be a half of two halves.

At the restart, the Senegalese tried to step things up a gear, re-establishing some form of dominance, resulting in Sow slotting the ball home for the curtain raiser in the 56th minute after some poor defending by Nigeria. It was no more than Senegal deserved after the Eagles failed to clear their lines and engaged in senseless schoolboy passing at the back when the ball should have been cleared to Row Z.

Following the goal, Mr Rohr made some changes, bringing on Oghenekaro Etebo for the hapless Alex Iwobi who was bullied, harried, out-physicalled and manhandled all evening. Out of his depth against the robust Senegalese, Iwobi hardly had a touch of the ball for the 61 minutes he was on the pitch and whenever he did get the ball, he was immediately dispossessed.

Coming on alongside Etebo was Isaac Success, making his senior debut as he replaced Simon Moses out wide. Senegal's coach Aliou Cisse made a few changes too, bringing on Sadio Mané for Opa Nguette in the 65th minute and Famara Diedhiou for Sow on the 70 minute mark.

As they sought to respond to the numerous physical challenges of the Senegalese, the Eagles ended up picking up four yellow cards on the night with Ndidi, Elderson Echiejile, Leon Balogun and Isaac Success all being cautioned. In the 76th minute, Olanrewaju Kayode came on for Ahmed Musa and this appeared to give the Eagles the attacking edge they lacked.

Kayode's pace and power opened up the Senegalese defence repeatedly and eventually resulted in the goal when he put Iheanacho through on goal. After collecting the ball, Iheanacho rounded Ndiaye in the Senegalese goal but was brought down by the keeper.

He dusted himself got up and converted the ensuing penalty. Iheanacho nearly made it two in the last minute but he screwed his shot just wide after some nice build-up play between himself and Kayode that carved the Senegalese defence open.

In his after-match press conference, Mr Rohr, who appeared alongside Echiejile, who took over the armband from Onazi when he went off, said that he picked Senegal because of how similar they are to Cameroon. He added that he is hoping to build up his team physically to meet such challenges in the future.

"We picked Senegal because they are similar to Cameroon and I felt it would have been a good test for my players. On the whole, I think we did well but Ogenyi Onazi's injury looks serious and he will have a scan tomorrow but I am pleased with Daniel Akpeyi who only arrived in the morning and should be given credit for going straight into the team and performing well.

"This is Tyrone Ebuehi's first outing with the team and it would have been too much to put him straight in as right back but he is likely to play against Burkina Faso, while FC Porto's Chidozie Awaziem is injured so could not play. John Ogu was brought on after Onazi went off because of his size and physicality and he coped well," Mr Rohr added.

He said he decided to start with almost the same line-up that played against Algeria because the team had not played together for four months and building chemistry was required. According to Mr Rohr, about half of the boys who started the game were not seeing action in their clubs so he wanted to use this to get them some playing time and make them fit.

Senegalese coach Cisse, added: "I think a draw was a fair result as we had chances to win the game and Nigeria had chances to win the game. Nigeria is a strong team, Senegal is a strong team, Cameroon is a strong team and Algeria is a strong team, so we like to play these kind of matches from which we will learn."

Nigeria will now play the second of her scheduled friendly games against Burkina Faso on Monday also at Barnet FC. Ado Don Haag right fullback Ebuehi is expected to make his debut in that match, although it is not yet clear if Awaziem will be fit.

Ratings:

Akpeyi - 7
Omeruo - 6
Echiejile - 6
Ekong - 5
Balogun - 5
Ndidi -9
Onazi - 6
Iwobi - 4
Iheanacho - 6
Musa - 5
Simon - 6

Subs:
Ogu - 7
Etebo - 5
Kayode - 6
Success - 6
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: My full and official match report

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Senegal plays CIV next
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Official attendance was over 2K but nice write up.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Thanks for the report Ayo. Meanwhile, why are the Algerians and Cameroonians 'string' teams? Dem nor dey chop for house?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

this write is 100 times better than the rubbish CIC posted ....
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:this write is 100 times better than the rubbish CIC posted ....
To be fair to CiChicken George, slaves were not permitted to read nor write. So the fact that he was privately able to learn behind the massa's back? One has to commend him.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Seems like Kayode balled. His pace will always trouble defenses
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ogasir wrote:Seems like Kayode balled. His pace will always trouble defenses
All teams needs a player or players who can course havoc for the opposing team's defense. Such commotion can, sometimes; lead to "own goals." Thus Kayode is welcomed if he can play that role for us
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

He was also able to match them physically. Despite his slight frame, he was a match for them in the battles. Before Kayode came on, our strikers barely won any headers but he was up to the task with his hustle.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Odas wrote:
All teams needs a player or players who can course havoc for the opposing team's defense. Such commotion can, sometimes; lead to "own goals." Thus Kayode is welcomed if he can play that role for us
I hope he can course :D this havoc on a consistent basis and Rohr should use him more.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Cito wrote:
Odas wrote:
I hope he can course :D this havoc on a consistent basis and Rohr should use him more.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You are a very wicked man!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Are these the three wise men the bible spoke about?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ahidjo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ahidjo »

Good report but it seems you do not like Isaac Success. Every report had it that he changed the game for us with his strong displays (as usual). I do not know how he got a 6 in your ratings!

See this

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/24/ho ... roduction/
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ahidjo wrote:Good report but it seems you do not like Isaac Success. Every report had it that he changed the game for us with his strong displays (as usual). I do not know how he got a 6 in your ratings!

See this

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/24/ho ... roduction/

No two people will have the same opinion. I respect that commentary but disagree with it. Success did not hold on to the ball when he came on.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Nice write up.

Ive always known a forward line of Success***Nacho***Moses woudl be unstoppable with Kayode and Onyekuru as back ups.

IN the midfield, against Cameroun, ROhr would play Ndidi (DM), Mikel (CM or AM), Etebo (AM or CM) or Ogu/ Onazi slip into the CM role while Mikel does AM. I'm still a believer in Iwobi though he has proven to us that Mikel is still No 1 in that position for us.

IN the Defense, ROhr would likely maintain the same tall and physical backline except TYrone shows that he is no Iwobi.

We need Enyeama.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Truth be told, this is the youngest Super Eagles side for a while so I will be patient with them.

Also it was a friendly so there was no need to expend oneself physically and be out of the running for the real deal.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

AYO:
Nice report... :thumb:

However, it's not Winifred but rather WILFRED Ndidi.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Thanks Ayo.

This was always going to be a tough assignment for us, having not played a game in several months and going against one of the strongest African sides at present. With our team having only a few training sessions coupled with the late arrival of players, no one could have expected a smooth outing for us. Remember that in similar circumstances 2 years ago when we last played a duet of friendlies in one FIFA window, we were beaten by DR Congo but bounced back to humble Cameroon. So I would urge everyone not to rush to judgment or draw any firm conclusions until all the evidence from both games can be digested.

Cheers.
rafflick
Egg
Egg

Post by rafflick »

The real question is - Did you get a handshake? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

I cant believe no one has asked this question :tic: :tic:
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Cito wrote:
Odas wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: You are a very wicked man!
You have turned the corner on young Alex Iwobi. Its now full blown attack on the young lad, who is perhaps, genuinely the youngest member of that team. Once you guys like someone, you use the most exotic phrases to describe them. Once you dislike a player, then its the opposite of course. You won't cut the young man any slack at all. Rubbish.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
He was also able to match them physically. Despite his slight frame, he was a match for them in the battles. Before Kayode came on, our strikers barely won any headers but he was up to the task with his hustle.
Kayode's instincts need to be sharper to fit this level. There was a free-kick in the dying minutes which eluded everybody very deep in the box that he only needed to guide his head down to finish. Alas, the ball hit him with his head facing upwards to nod the ball over the bar. In international football, you sometimes only get that one chance to make a difference unlike in club football.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

What's with all the Iwobi bashing these days??? The boy is like 20. He will be inconsistent. Give him a time and he will be a better player.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.