Massive Refereeing Error!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Massive Refereeing Error!

Post by Enugu II »

This error was similar to one made in a U13 game involving my son just last week. I was fuming at the error then with no clue that this could actually occur at the professional level until this!!

The law is here: https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeve ... _47369.pdf
Apr 5, 2017 23:14:42
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4055/mai ... ID=HP_BN_2

The Championship side had a penalty taken away by a massive mistake from official Keith Stroud as he misapplied the laws of the game

Referee Keith Stroud apparently has some issues understanding the rules regarding penalties.

During the Championship showdown between Burton Albion and Newcastle United the match official made a massive blunder in taking away a penalty from the Magpies after Dwight Gayle encroached in the penalty area as Matt Ritchie approached the spot kick.

Rather than following the laws and having the penalty re-taken, Stroud and his team decided that the encroachment would result in the awarding of a free kick to Burton!

The decision left Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez fuming on the sidelines as his side looked for all three points.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the referee organisation for all Football League matches, released a statement condemning the decision as incorrect.

"In this evening's EFL Championship match between Newcastle United and Burton Albion, referee Keith Stroud awarded Newcastle a penalty in the 29th minute. As Matt Ritchie took the kick, Dwight Gayle encroached in the penalty area.

"An indirect free kick was awarded to Burton, but the Laws of the Game state that the penalty kick should have been retaken.

"Unfortunately the referee has misapplied the Law. Keith and his team and understandably upset at the lapse in concentration and apologise for the mistake," the PGMOL statement reads.

Luckily for Newcastle, who are looking for a direct return to the Premier League, the decision did not prove costly as the club went on to secure a 1-0 win, with Ritchie eventually getting himself on the scoresheet.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg
Re: Massive Refereeing Error!

Post by Akure4Life »

The ref as just hating on my team.

by god's grace will will be back in the EPL to re-claim Spurs as our wife. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

How long has it been sef.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Akure4Life wrote:The ref as just hating on my team.

by god's grace will will be back in the EPL to re-claim Spurs as our wife. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Newcastle was our feeder club in the days when you had good players
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower