Wanyama vs Kante.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Wanyama vs Kante.

Post by wale1974 »

marutimon wrote:Idrissa Gueye is better than Kante. And he even has the stats to back it up. He was better than Kante in France and even in his worst season ever at Aston Villa he was on par with Kante. As it stands he's a minor upgrade on Kante in every department - covers more ground, tackles better, has better ball control, dribbles better, is faster, attacks better, has a better passing range.

Kante just made the better career choice when joining Leicester City.
Gueye is good but when it comes to stamina...............Kante all the way.

Gueye was way ahead of Kante back when they both played in the French league.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

pajimoh wrote:
paj wrote:I put this argument up on my whatsapp group...people are asking who Gueye is and which club he plays for :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Is that the group for the brainless drug abusers and you wonder why they ask? Go ahead ask them their names? I bet they're too stoned to remember :tic: :twisted:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Maru, Gueye may well win Everton's POTY, Ngo Bebe is likely to win his second league title in two seasons and once again occupying one of the standout performer slots. Highly likely to make the Team of the Season, highly likely to win or come close to winning the Football Writer's POTY. This season they argue his plaudits are a consequence of the team he's playing in, last season he played alongside Danny Drinkwater and was head and shoulders above those at better sides with better sidekicks. Take noting away from Gueye, quality player but let him lead Everton to silverware...its not easy.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

green4life wrote:Marutimon, sorry but you come across as someone who's jealous that Gueye is barely being mentioned in the same breath as Kante by pundits or what have you. A massive reason is due to the performance of Kante's current team. If they were languishing in 10th place or outside top 4, Kante wouldn't receive anywhere as much applause. Everton, on the other hand are exactly where they've always been: in and around the top 6 and most definitely out of the top 4. Whether they had Gueye or no Gueye there's no difference. You can usually guess where they will finish: anywhere between 7th up to 5th. So you tell me the impact of Gueye? Whereas Kante took a team, Leicester, that before the season started most bet that they would get relegated and won the league. He left and they slipped back into relegation zone. The current change in fortune is likely due to initial bump from a change in manager but we don't know how long it will last. But realistically, a good if not amazing season for Leicester is finishing as high as 8th or even 7th and wining a domestic cup. Not even close to Everton in any way - except for doing the unthinkable last season for which Kante can claim a massive role in ... something unfortunately that Gueye hasn't done. He couldn't even lead his country - star studded team and all - to win a nations cup when most of the ANC big dogs were in real crisis mode.
Oga G4L I don't think he is jealous,he has put stats to back his claim :roll: Both are good players but one things stats don't always tell the true story.
Do you think if Kante would have stay at Leicester he would help them be in top 6 this season?Kante was not Leicester best player last season.How did he help France on home soil in Euro?
I will take Kante over Gueye as I have not watch him enough,what you failed to see is that this season Leicester will not be able to repeat same miracle they did even if they keep their same team and add Messi.Leicester is in CL and doing well and Chelsea has no European football.You try to dismiss Moses important to the Chelsea good furtune,after the emirate yash open Moses coming in change a lot and he is among Chelsea top 4 best player,his position is very hard to play,Iva was ask to leave,Wllian what ever they call him turn out to be a bench warmer,Oscar was ship out all thanks to Moses and you think he is not impartant as Kante to Chelsea team?
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote:
green4life wrote:Marutimon, sorry but you come across as someone who's jealous that Gueye is barely being mentioned in the same breath as Kante by pundits or what have you.
Actually Gueye is being mentioned a lot by pundits in categories such as:
- best buy of the season (a mere 7 mln)
- best midfielders in Europe and/or England
- best tackler in Europe
- best DM in Europe and/or England

And there have been a whole lot of comparisons made by pundits comparing Gueye to Kante. Also - unlike Ndidi or Wanyama - Gueye is essentially the same type of player as Kante.

Just put in "Gueye Kante" into google. You get a whole lot of people comparing Gueye to Kante, amongst them:
Steve Walsh (the guy who brought Kante to Leicester): When asked who could be the next Kante, Walsh told the Times: “I’ve already found him,” speaking of Gueye.
A massive reason is due to the performance of Kante's current team. If they were languishing in 10th place or outside top 4, Kante wouldn't receive anywhere as much applause. Everton, on the other hand are exactly where they've always been: in and around the top 6 and most definitely out of the top 4. Whether they had Gueye or no Gueye there's no difference. You can usually guess where they will finish: anywhere between 7th up to 5th. So you tell me the impact of Gueye? Whereas Kante took a team, Leicester, that before the season started most bet that they would get relegated and won the league. He left and they slipped back into relegation zone. The current change in fortune is likely due to initial bump from a change in manager but we don't know how long it will last. But realistically, a good if not amazing season for Leicester is finishing as high as 8th or even 7th and wining a domestic cup. Not even close to Everton in any way - except for doing the unthinkable last season for which Kante can claim a massive role in ... something unfortunately that Gueye hasn't done. He couldn't even lead his country - star studded team and all - to win a nations cup when most of the ANC big dogs were in real crisis mode.
Again - blaiming an individual for the shortcomings of the team. Your argument is going around in circles: Gueye is not as good because his team and his team tactics aren't as good as Kante's.

Leicester slipped back into relegation zone, because Ranieri stopped playing his team like last season. Since Shakespeare took over, reverted the team back to last season's tactics and replaced Kante with Ndidi his record is surprisingly familiar to last season: four wins in a row, no losses, no draws, 11 goals scored. This includes wins over Sevilla, Liverpool and West Ham away.

All of a sudden Kante doesn't seem to be missing any more.
How about EPL player of the year discussions in England? Do you honesty believe he has any chance?

Listen, your boy's time will come but this your argument is premature and a big part of it is because his team has only been marginally impacted compared to where they were or usually are on the table.

But when you have a guy that leads a relegation bound team to the title then follows up that feat by improving a team from 10th to currently 1st in back to back seasons, people will sit up and look beyond the numbers. They will watch his games critically. And those who have done so love what they see. Personally, I see a player improving almost every week. And that's saying something given he's consistently putting in top performances.

Again, at least had your boy led a star studded Senegal team to win an ANC where all top teams were in crisis mode (failed to qualify, rebuilding, etc like Nigeria, Cameroon, Egypt, CIV, etc), his stock may have increased small relative to Kante. Win something tangible before talking about being the best in the business. What has he won compared to Kante? There's an objective question for you.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

wale1974 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
paj wrote:I put this argument up on my whatsapp group...people are asking who Gueye is and which club he plays for :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Is that the group for the brainless drug abusers and you wonder why they ask? Go ahead ask them their names? I bet they're too stoned to remember :tic: :twisted:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

kajifu wrote:
green4life wrote:Marutimon, sorry but you come across as someone who's jealous that Gueye is barely being mentioned in the same breath as Kante by pundits or what have you. A massive reason is due to the performance of Kante's current team. If they were languishing in 10th place or outside top 4, Kante wouldn't receive anywhere as much applause. Everton, on the other hand are exactly where they've always been: in and around the top 6 and most definitely out of the top 4. Whether they had Gueye or no Gueye there's no difference. You can usually guess where they will finish: anywhere between 7th up to 5th. So you tell me the impact of Gueye? Whereas Kante took a team, Leicester, that before the season started most bet that they would get relegated and won the league. He left and they slipped back into relegation zone. The current change in fortune is likely due to initial bump from a change in manager but we don't know how long it will last. But realistically, a good if not amazing season for Leicester is finishing as high as 8th or even 7th and wining a domestic cup. Not even close to Everton in any way - except for doing the unthinkable last season for which Kante can claim a massive role in ... something unfortunately that Gueye hasn't done. He couldn't even lead his country - star studded team and all - to win a nations cup when most of the ANC big dogs were in real crisis mode.
Oga G4L I don't think he is jealous,he has put stats to back his claim :roll: Both are good players but one things stats don't always tell the true story.
Do you think if Kante would have stay at Leicester he would help them be in top 6 this season?Kante was not Leicester best player last season.How did he help France on home soil in Euro?
I will take Kante over Gueye as I have not watch him enough,what you failed to see is that this season Leicester will not be able to repeat same miracle they did even if they keep their same team and add Messi.Leicester is in CL and doing well and Chelsea has no European football.You try to dismiss Moses important to the Chelsea good furtune,after the emirate yash open Moses coming in change a lot and he is among Chelsea top 4 best player,his position is very hard to play,Iva was ask to leave,Wllian what ever they call him turn out to be a bench warmer,Oscar was ship out all thanks to Moses and you think he is not impartant as Kante to Chelsea team?
This is not about Moses and I didn't dismiss him as he's been a key piece of the team without a doubt. This is about exceptional performers and consistency of that high level. And I've watched both Gueye and Kante. Gueye is a very solid CM who won't last long at Everton before moving to a more ambitious environment. But when you compare part of the question is how did you help your team win or is the player only playing for individual stats?
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

kajifu wrote:
I disagree with you, but at least you make a good argument, unlike green4life.
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

danfo driver wrote:
Chimex101 wrote:Kante by several miles, no midfielder can touch the little guy right now.
Stop touching little boys you cretinous imbecile.
Dry and tasteless attempt at yabbis, you don't have to tell us your childhood experience, for the fact that your disturbed mind wandered that far sure depicts a bigger picture...seek therapy bro it is well!! :taunt:
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote:
kajifu wrote:
More objectivity. Both players moved to the EPL in same 2015/16 season to likely relegation candidates (Leicester & Aston Villa). In fact, Aston Villa is a much bigger and established club than Leicester City with storied history and what not. One player led his team to the trophy while the other led his team to being relegated. How's that for an impact assessment? You don't like what you hear because the truth hurts. Again, how do your stats help your team achieve their goals and objectives? That is the relevant question when you compare players. When you look at Spurs and see their midfielders, there's no questions as to why their currently in second place. It speaks for itself. They play well individually and also for their team.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chimex101 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Chimex101 wrote:Kante by several miles, no midfielder can touch the little guy right now.
Stop touching little boys you cretinous imbecile.
Dry and tasteless attempt at yabbis, you don't have to tell us your childhood experience, for the fact that your disturbed mind wandered that far sure depicts a bigger picture...seek therapy bro it is well!! :taunt:
No be yabbis o! You have a reputation.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

green4life wrote:
marutimon wrote:
kajifu wrote:
More objectivity. Both players moved to the EPL in same 2015/16 season to likely relegation candidates (Leicester & Aston Villa). In fact, Aston Villa is a much bigger and established club than Leicester City with storied history and what not. One player led his team to the trophy while the other led his team to being relegated. How's that for an impact assessment? You don't like what you hear because the truth hurts. Again, how do your stats help your team achieve their goals and objectives? That is the relevant question when you compare players. When you look at Spurs and see their midfielders, there's no questions as to why their currently in second place. It speaks for itself. They play well individually and also for their team.
I think it's an unfair comparison between Leicester and Villa. Almost every player in that Villa team were piss poor. Anyone that relies on Jordan Ayew to supply the ammunition to keep his team in top flight football need their heads examined. Defensively, my goodness.
Leicester had a few players from defense to attack who were solid individually and irresistible collectively. Villa were just a victim of their own poor buys and terrible managerial appointments
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

pajimoh wrote: I think it's an unfair comparison between Leicester and Villa. Almost every player in that Villa team were piss poor. Anyone that relies on Jordan Ayew to supply the ammunition to keep his team in top flight football need their heads examined. Defensively, my goodness.
Leicester had a few players from defense to attack who were solid individually and irresistible collectively. Villa were just a victim of their own poor buys and terrible managerial appointments
If he was as good as Kante or as he asserts, better than Kante, the minimum he'd do was prevent them from going down. Ironically CFC was in a similar situation last season. the new manager came in and immediately replaced the DM, the platform became more solid and they steadily moved from 17th to 10th. That's impact. Its not only stats because his beautiful stats were useless to Aston Villa fans as they watched their beloved club go down in flames.

But if you want to blame it on his piss poor team mates, then explain how a star studded Senegal team failed to medal in the last ANC only reaching the QFs in a tournament where they clearly had the best players. Then Everton moving from 6th last season to 7th this season. Aston Villa, Senegal and Everton, where is the positive impact?

Generally when folks talk about Kante, its in relation to the positive impact his teams experience. You feel it tangibly. I don't need to look up his stats, like I've never looked up Dembele's or Wanyma's. If you can't feel it then you don't understand the game.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

pajimoh wrote:
damn bruh you must be a clone of Superman or somn.. :evil: ...how many of my Timberlands do I have to send up U to sharrap? :twisted:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

wale1974 wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Wale U be one of dem o! :taunt:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

paj wrote:Truth be told ..last season when Leicester was doing it I wasn't watching them much but my pals who did kept talking about Kante..and this was even before December...the talk was that Kante allowed The Algerian and others to do their thing.....this season @ Everton all we hear is Lukaku..didn't know much about Gueye until mentioned in this thread...but now I go watch the guy..especially when we jam Everton again in the return leg

Last season it took a long time for many, especially the media to start praising Kante for his contribution to Leicester's success, few dared to say Kante was the best player in the EPL last season.
The same could be the case with Gueye, he might get more attention if Everton finishes top 4 or does something else extraordinary next season.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

There was this image showing Kante appearing 8 or 9 times on the field covering every possible lane.

We should be seeing the same for Gueye.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Green4life: How many more times will you repeat the argument that X is better because his team has better results?

This is not a one man sport.
Leicester got the tactics right and had a team to play those tactics - they won the league.
Leicester stopped using those tactics and the team fell apart - the found themselves in relegation zone
Leicester reverting to using the same tried and tested tactics - 4 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses

Chelsea only started winning when Conte introduced 3-5-2 and made Victor Moses a starter. According to your logic Victor Moses is the main reason behind Chelsea's success, as it was his introduction that transformed the team, not Kante's as Chelsea was losing games prior to the tactical change.

If football was a one man sport Northern Ireland would have won some World Cup and/or Euros during the era of George Best, while Liberia would have been an African champion a couple of times during the era of George Weah.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

marutimon wrote:Green4life: How many more times will you repeat the argument that X is better because his team has better results?

This is not a one man sport.
Leicester got the tactics right and had a team to play those tactics - they won the league.
Leicester stopped using those tactics and the team fell apart - the found themselves in relegation zone
Leicester reverting to using the same tried and tested tactics - 4 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses

Chelsea only started winning when Conte introduced 3-5-2 and made Victor Moses a starter. According to your logic Victor Moses is the main reason behind Chelsea's success, as it was his introduction that transformed the team, not Kante's as Chelsea was losing games prior to the tactical change.

If football was a one man sport Northern Ireland would have won some World Cup and/or Euros during the era of George Best, while Liberia would have been an African champion a couple of times during the era of George Weah.
My guy..but for Okocha Bolton was gonna go down in 2003...3 matches to go he rallied them and got points vs Arsenal and others despite $#% teammates..honestly I hadn't heard of the Gueye guy(saw his name in line ups but didn't pay attention) until U talk am here...how come dem pundits no mention am for tv na?
Pa
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:
pajimoh wrote: I think it's an unfair comparison between Leicester and Villa. Almost every player in that Villa team were piss poor. Anyone that relies on Jordan Ayew to supply the ammunition to keep his team in top flight football need their heads examined. Defensively, my goodness.
If he was as good as Kante or as he asserts, better than Kante, the minimum he'd do was prevent them from going down. Ironically CFC was in a similar situation last season. the new manager came in and immediately replaced the DM, the platform became more solid and they steadily moved from 17th to 10th. That's impact. Its not only stats because his beautiful stats were useless to Aston Villa fans as they watched their beloved club go down in flames.

But if you want to blame it on his piss poor team mates, then explain how a star studded Senegal team failed to medal in the last ANC only reaching the QFs in a tournament where they clearly had the best players. Then Everton moving from 6th last season to 7th this season. Aston Villa, Senegal and Everton, where is the positive impact?

Generally when folks talk about Kante, its in relation to the positive impact his teams experience. You feel it tangibly. I don't need to look up his stats, like I've never looked up Dembele's or Wanyma's. If you can't feel it then you don't understand the game.
The argument for Gueye is that Villa lacked the players to use the ball once Gueye had won it back. Look at who his midfield partners are. However this is also the argument against Gueye. For Leicester who were Kante's partners. Kante has a better passing range than Gueye. In terms of off the ball work, they are similar but Kante IMHO overshadows Gueye when you look at the offensive technical capability. Both are often quiet when they play Spurs though depending on the referee.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Cristao II wrote:Kante has a better passing range than Gueye. In terms of off the ball work, they are similar but Kante IMHO overshadows Gueye when you look at the offensive technical capability.
Not true.

And I'll quote Steve Walsh - the guy that brought Gueye to Everton and Kante to Leicester:
“I’d say [Gueye's] use of the ball is slightly better."

That said Ndidi's passing range, offensive technical capability and general threat is so much better than either Gueye or Kante...
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

marutimon wrote:
Cristao II wrote:Kante has a better passing range than Gueye. In terms of off the ball work, they are similar but Kante IMHO overshadows Gueye when you look at the offensive technical capability.
Not true.

And I'll quote Steve Walsh - the guy that brought Gueye to Everton and Kante to Leicester:
“I’d say [Gueye's] use of the ball is slightly better."

That said Ndidi's passing range, offensive technical capability and general threat is so much better than either Gueye or Kante...
I have watched both of them vs. Spurs. Steve Walsh may have been correct when they were in France but now, no contest.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Gueye is a very good player, and so is Kante. However i prefer Mikel to both
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved