When is too soon! Ejaria, Nwakali et al......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: When is too soon! Ejaria, Nwakali et al......

Post by felarey »

Gotti wrote:
felarey wrote:I don' know how you guys read that as Nigeria doesn't invite young players to the SE. I even mentioned Iheanacho. My comment was in the context of the thread ala what Wales are doing with Woodburn. We tend to go for players that have achieved a certain experience and not just very talented. So we'll invite the best Nigerian midfielder in the NPL before a Nwakali who we let focus on U23, U20 etc. Think Mikel.
Mikel made his SE debut in 2005 - same year as his U20 exploits...

Meanwhile, Taye Taiwo was invited to the SE in 2005 (WCQ v Zimbabwe) BEFORE he played for the U20 team and Ahmed Musa was simultaneously playing for BOTH the SE and the FE in the same year (2011). Accordingly, there's no such general "rule' regarding Nigeria's young players. Rather each is determined by individual circumstances.
I thought Mikel made his debut for SE in 2006 but I also remember he was called up after Utd and Chelsea were fighting over him and he absconded from Lyn. If I remember correctly, his profile was such that we wanted to see him get some training and be part of a group at the time so he came for a friendly. Well...perhaps Mikel is a bad example as two giants in Utd and Chelsea were in a very public fight over him and Mourinho called him gold with Fergie chasing him down and all.

Taiwo was pretty much the best LB in the NPL and went straight from there to Marseille. Taiwo and Mikel I'd classify as outliers. We've just had a decade of great success at youth level, we don't pick the prodigies to come to SE. Instead they're invited to age grade teams and allowed to garner some level of experience before SE. Not being critical, just stating the trend.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
Gotti wrote:
felarey wrote:Got it. Come to think of it, it hasn't really been our style to throw young players in the mix. Few exceptions like Iheanacho. We've tend to go as far as the NPL before inviting youth to SE. Dunno if Rohr will buck that trend.
Not true...
Nigeria has regularly capped young players - Omeruo, Onazi, Lukman, Ahmed Musa, Kanu, etc.
As far back as i can remember Nogeria played a certsin 16 year old Prince Afejukwu in the national team 78, followed with Sylvanus Okpalla, Henry Nwosu both 20years old at the ANC 80. I dont know where this false notion we do not play youth came from...if they are good enough they get picked..

Not in recent times. The examples above by Gotti is inappropriate. Those were already established and not within the same frame as a Ben Woodburn or Ejaria as the op ed shows...
So if i may ask on what basis should Ejaria be capped? That he has prospect and about to break into Liverpool team? I am at a loss here. I thought the main criteria for playing for the national team is what you have done and doing during the season whether you are young or old. How is Gotti's examples inappropriate?
I think u misunderstand my position on Ejaria. I don't think he is ready. Have been saying that since last year.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Gotti wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
Gotti wrote:
felarey wrote:Got it. Come to think of it, it hasn't really been our style to throw young players in the mix. Few exceptions like Iheanacho. We've tend to go as far as the NPL before inviting youth to SE. Dunno if Rohr will buck that trend.
Not true...
Nigeria has regularly capped young players - Omeruo, Onazi, Lukman, Ahmed Musa, Kanu, etc.
As far back as i can remember Nogeria played a certsin 16 year old Prince Afejukwu in the national team 78, followed with Sylvanus Okpalla, Henry Nwosu both 20years old at the ANC 80. I dont know where this false notion we do not play youth came from...if they are good enough they get picked..
Not in recent times. The examples above by Gotti is inappropriate. Those were already established and not within the same frame as a Ben Woodburn or Ejaria as the op ed shows...
What are you going on about? :shock:

Established?! Someone like Onazi had played a grand total of 4 Serie A games for Lazio (1 injury-time sub appearance in 2011/12 and 3 appearances in 2012/13) before his SE debut in November 2012 against Venezuela, with 1 additional Serie A game before playing a key role in the SE's 2013 ANC championship-winning campaign. Even Mikel, had played barely a couple of games at Lyn before his SE debut in August 2005 (v Libya), and about 5 or 6 total club appearances before playing for the SE at the 2006 ANC.
But each of them went thru the U17, U20, etc and then club appearances. We had Musa who was already a full international then returning to the age grade level...This is in marked contrast to the case cited here. We hardly ever fast track players on the basis of talent...The one real exception being Henry Nwosu...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote:But each of them went thru the U17, U20, etc and then club appearances. We had Musa who was already a full international then returning to the age grade level...This is in marked contrast to the case cited here. We hardly ever fast track players on the basis of talent...The one real exception being Henry Nwosu...
And how's that any different from Woodburn going through the Welsh U19s (or even Ejaria)? :blink:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
txj wrote:
oloye wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Not true...

So if i may ask on what basis should Ejaria be capped? That he has prospect and about to break into Liverpool team? I am at a loss here. I thought the main criteria for playing for the national team is what you have done and doing during the season whether you are young or old. How is Gotti's examples inappropriate?
I think u misunderstand my position on Ejaria. I don't think he is ready. Have been saying that since last year.
Ok then !
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho