What Rohr said at the post-match conference

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What Rohr said at the post-match conference

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Sheikh wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] I believe Rohr will be looking at a physical team against Cameroon with Mikel, Ogu and Ndidi as its fulcrum
[2] He is almost certain to go for a physical targetman in either Success or Kayode
[3] He said he will look at a few more players as he is always on the lookout for young blood
[4] From what I saw yesterday, Ndidi is now going to be an automatic starter. Personally, I would pick him ahead of Onazi any day
[5] I expect to see Ebuehi against Burkina Faso. How he performs may determine if he becomes a regular starter of not
[6] Rohr said that on at least one instance, Mikel has played as a central defender in China. he added that Mikel can also play as an attacking midfieder
[7] Alex Iwobi was totally out-physicalled yesterday. I do not expect to even see him on the team sheet against Cameroon
[8] I think the only positions the coach is now uncertain of are the fullback slots
[9] We need to work on our finishing though. We wasted too many good chances yesterday
[10] After the Burkina Faso game, I will give you my thoughts ion the ideal line-up for the Cameroon match
i think Rohr could go for Ndidi, Etebo and Mikel, with Ogu or Onazi replacing Mikel by the 70th. Having Ogu and Mikel together at the start would adversely slow the pace of the midfield. Hope Onazi gets better very soon. He is a very good player, and has done very well for Nigeria but it should be clear that Ndidi and Etebo are much better; Rohr will discover this soon if he has not already done so. In attack could then be Moses, Mikel and Iheanacho.
Trust me, after watching yesterday's game, it is about 90% certain that the trio of Ndidi, Ogu and Mikel will play against Cameroon. I take your point about pace but that would apply to other games, like say the one against South Africa in June.

Against Cameroon, it will be sheer physicality that determines how we fare. Yesterday, before Ogu came on, we could hardly get hold of the ball in midfield. Only Ndidi could match the Senegalese physically but when he and Ogu were ion there together, things changed.

Poor Onazi was bullied until they finally injured him. As per Iwobi, it was like asking a 10-year old to face fully grown men.
How would we do in transition defense? Cameroun has a lot of pace on the wings and up front. I don't fancy the chances Mike,Ndidi and Ogu catching up to the camerounian wingers when we turn the ball over in mf.Rohr knows best sha. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Emir Kongi, Cameroon has zero pace. They are Sumo wrestlers!
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

I've made it clear time and time again that Onazi's era (with due respect to his services) is nearing an end as its now Ndidi's era...younger, more talented, and one for the future. In that midfield, only Mikel remains in the class of the older generation that can still retain and command a key role (though it will be sudued every now and then since we have Etebo and Ogu)...right now I would suggest we play Mikel as our attacking outlet as Alex needs some time to grow into that role...our midfield core seems to have shaped up already...Ndidi, Ogu, Etebo, Mikel, and Onazi in that order.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

For me, we have two main problems - playmaker and left fullback. Chidozie Awaziem is a centreback and cannot play for Echiejile, while, Iwobi is too lightweight and Etebo is more of a two-way central midfielder.

From what I can see so far, this is how Rohr is likely to play against Cameroon:

**********************************************Kayode****************************************

***************Iheanacho*****************************************Moses********************

**********************************************Mikel*******************************************

**********************************Ndidi***********Ogu****************************************

***Echiejile****************Balogun***********************Ekong*****************Ebuehi***

*********************************************Ikeme*********************************************

Things may obviously change as August is a long way away but I am of the opinion that if the match was tomorrow, this is how he would play. I will have mire to say about this after watching Ebuehi against Burkina Faso on Monday.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:For me, we have two main problems - playmaker and left fullback. Chidozie Awaziem is a centreback and cannot play for Echiejile, while, Iwobi is too lightweight and Etebo is more of a two-way central midfielder.

From what I can see so far, this is how Rohr is likely to play against Cameroon:

**********************************************Kayode****************************************

***************Iheanacho*****************************************Moses********************

**********************************************Mikel*******************************************

**********************************Ndidi***********Ogu****************************************

***Echiejile****************Balogun***********************Ekong*****************Ebuehi***

*********************************************Ikeme*********************************************

Things may obviously change as August is a long way away but I am of the opinion that if the match was tomorrow, this is how he would play. I will have mire to say about this after watching Ebuehi against Burkina Faso on Monday.

Kayode ahead of success? Also, Omeruo plays DM for his club and is actually faster and probably a better DM than Ogu. Also, look for Nura Mohamed to have a say in that RB slot before August.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:For me, we have two main problems - playmaker and left fullback. Chidozie Awaziem is a centreback and cannot play for Echiejile, while, Iwobi is too lightweight and Etebo is more of a two-way central midfielder.

Kayode ahead of success? Also, Omeruo plays DM for his club and is actually faster and probably a better DM than Ogu. Also, look for Nura Mohamed to have a say in that RB slot before August.

I am not interested on what happens on paper. I am basing my judgement on what I saw ion the green grass with my own two eyes.

If you told me before yesterday that John Ogu should start against Cameroon I would say nonsense or if you told me that Iwobi could not hack the game I would have called it crazy but the practical reality is different from CE commentary. As per Nura, I would like him to be tried out, so we have examined everyone possible.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I think it is almost certain that the midfield trio he will use against Cameroon will be Ndidi, Ogu and Mikel. They have the physicality to match Les Lions Indomitable.
Indomptables
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wonderful thread by Ayo, so much better than the rubbish CIC posted..i am so mad i clicked on his website
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I think it is almost certain that the midfield trio he will use against Cameroon will be Ndidi, Ogu and Mikel. They have the physicality to match Les Lions Indomitable.
They will have the physicality maybe, but they might be too slow
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Robotnik wrote:
They will have the physicality maybe, but they might be too slow
Etebo will start..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Ayo, great perspective on the match and the team.
Thanks.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Awaziem is not the backup LB...
Rather, Kingsley Madu (a decidedly average player IMHO) is.

Btw, I dearly hope that Ebuehi does well on Monday...
However, given what I have seen of him thus far, he is ATM quite average.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If he wants to match Cameroon physically, he should recall Fegor Ogude.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Tbite wrote:Akpeyi is always protected by excuses, he came into the team unexpected, he featured in the qualifers last minute, he only became a GK in the spur of the moment, he only realized he was meant to keep a clean sheet in the 70th minute, he only found his contact lenses a few hours ago and missed training, he is only just refreshed because he was swimming in Ogogoro all night.

Abeg I don't give a rats arse what he was only just doing and where he only just came from...is he good or not?

He is not! #3 GK at best! at best!

Akpeyi had a brilliant game. He was superb, saving our bacon on at least three occasions.
From what I could see via the Facebook video, Akpeyi seemed to have a good game but I leave the evaluation to those who had the best view of the game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Prince wrote:Iwobi had the touch but the pace of the game and the physical nature blew him out, they were tossing him around like a rag doll :D , Ndid enjoyed the battle.

Manes touches were world class, the guy seem to have time to place some through balls
I no talk am, it's obvious from previous games he constantly loses the ball because he is so weak on it. And then you start him at no.10 in the center of midfield against a physical strong fast team they will just toss him around. I think he should stay on the wings and be allowed to roam a little, that's if the boy has to start self...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

wiseone wrote:If he wants to match Cameroon physically, he should recall Fegor Ogude.
And Danny Shittu and that other muscular Nigeria footballer his name escapes me that plays in the lower leagues in England. Did teams that played and beat Cameroon in previous World Cups try to match their physicality ? When Germany humiliated Cameroon 8-2 was it because they had weight lifters? I really question the intelligence of individuals who should know better but simply seem always come out with not very well thought out comments. At one time it was Ighalo is Nigeria number one striker until otherwise was proven. Now the call is for the inclusion of Ogu and Kayode.

Nigeria matched Senegal in midfield until they decided to take out Onazi with an elblow to his head knocking him out. The ogu that came on was giving the ball away and failed to see the open Man ( Musa ) on the wing several time resulting in Musa openly complaining. The only goal scored against us was as result of a mistake not by carving us open. The game against Cameroon is a long way and form can change and injuries may occur. Currently our best defensive midfielder is Ndidi but this may change. The focus should be on selecting the best team possible to defeat both South Africa and Cameroon bearing mind we will playing football not rugby or wrestling.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: As per Iwobi, it was like asking a 10-year old to face fully grown men.
Why do you think Arsene play him on the left side of the midfield instead of centrally? Alex is not ready to play centrally.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

ohenhen1 wrote:There is no way we can verify Iwobi performance. The game was not streamed or on TV.
But a good number of CEs watched him live. He was really poor.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Gotti wrote:

Awaziem is not the backup LB...
Rather, Kingsley Madu (a decidedly average player IMHO) is.

Btw, I dearly hope that Ebuehi does well on Monday...
However, given what I have seen of him thus far, he is ATM quite average.

As I said, I will review this stance after Monday's game. We are a work in progress.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Flex Swift wrote:
wiseone wrote:If he wants to match Cameroon physically, he should recall Fegor Ogude.
And Danny Shittu and that other muscular Nigeria footballer his name escapes me that plays in the lower leagues in England. Did teams that played and beat Cameroon in previous World Cups try to match their physicality ? When Germany humiliated Cameroon 8-2 was it because they had weight lifters? I really question the intelligence of individuals who should know better but simply seem always come out with not very well thought out comments. At one time it was Ighalo is Nigeria number one striker until otherwise was proven. Now the call is for the inclusion of Ogu and Kayode.

Nigeria matched Senegal in midfield until they decided to take out Onazi with an elblow to his head knocking him out. The ogu that came on was giving the ball away and failed to see the open Man ( Musa ) on the wing several time resulting in Musa openly complaining. The only goal scored against us was as result of a mistake not by carving us open. The game against Cameroon is a long way and form can change and injuries may occur. Currently our best defensive midfielder is Ndidi but this may change. The focus should be on selecting the best team possible to defeat both South Africa and Cameroon bearing mind we will playing football not rugby or wrestling.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Dont waste your breath
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Danny Shittu, talk of dark times and bolaji.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I think Rohr should adopt Westerhof's preference for playing pick up games against lower league euro sides in between grade A friendlies.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Flex, chapter 2, Bouba Diop o'clock; The Allardyce Manifesto by Samuel JB Allardyce (valedictorian). There is an appointed time when the game is more a measure of men than the rolling of the ball. Amdy Faye, Adoulaye Faye, Momo Sidibe...Big. All of them. And the produce, one of the finest and most uncompromising empires in Premier League history, Fort Britannia. T'is without doubt, Prof inspired Allardyce's thinking at Bolton and what were the Wanderers but sheer brilliance. That which the game calls for, must be delivered. Cameroon will walk to the centre of the ring and Nigeria must meet them there, the ball will roll regardless. This promises to be a spectacular scrap and men, good men, is a must. Akinfenwa has already been discussed in a previous thread, perhaps his blossom has come to late, but a blanket approach of 6 footers would be worth considering. Is there anyone in the squad adept at long-throws?