AFCON to Follow as CONMEBOL Bows to UEFA....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFCON to Follow as CONMEBOL Bows to UEFA....

Post by Enugu II »

Bet on AFCON following this route very soon.
Copa America to run parallel with upcoming Euros as FIFA bid to appease European clubs
The South American tournament will be moved to run in conjunction with its European counterpart
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ign=buffer

BYALEX RICHARDS
13:13, 19 MAR 2017

South American football chiefs are to begin staging the Copa America in the same year as the European Championships.

CONMEBOL have made the decision that, as of 2020, the continent’s flagship tournament will run parallel to the Euros.

As such, Brazil 2019 will be the final Copa America held in an odd year, reports Globoesporte.

The tournament will then be held again in USA in 2020, with the 2023 tournament in Ecuador postponed until the following year.

The idea is to run the tournament in tandem with the UEFA competition, in a move favoured by FIFA and Europe's major clubs.

The European elite will benefit from only having to release their international stars for one summer, rather than in consecutive summers.

Currently, Europe’s big sides release players for the European tournament, then South America, and then the World Cup in the third year.

That has been a cause of major consternation for members of the European Club Association (ECA), headed up by Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

They have been at loggerheads with FIFA and the game's governing bodies over the international calendar and the effects that year-round football has on the club game.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON to Follow as CONMEBOL Bows to UEFA....

Post by danfo driver »

This is what happens when people dont have self pride and retain low self-esteem. If European clubs have a problem, then UEFA should be the one making changes, NOT Conmebol. Inferiority complex.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

That is why I said Infanticide is for Europeans not world football
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Its a global game, hence one game, one unified calendar...

2ndly, Europe remains the nexus of the global game, where the best players, some of the best coaches and ideas, finance, TV, innovation, etc all come together.

Rather than this be this terrible scourge that is being suggested, I see it as just another manifestation of the dynamics of globalization.

Just as in other spheres of the global economy, some see this as an evil that needs to be stopped, others embrace it, and use it to drive innovation.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

These South Americans ... I don't know what to say ...
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]General Trousers[/color] wrote: These South Americans ... I don't know what to say ...
But on the real fact, this is a positive move on their part. Just as FIFA has unified all international matches so should all continental competitions be harmonized. Clubs pay a hefty sum to develop players, keep them in tip top condition and most importantly provide them with financial incentives that they could never have dreamed of only for them to lose them in the middle of the season for a competition that has no financial gain for them nor provides any residual value.

What is wrong with having all leagues in the world start their season say in August and finish in early April? All countries can play their matches afterwards from April until late May and then after clubs can spend the next 2 months in summer preparing for the next season while players can have the opportunity to gain a full recovery.

Playing international matches in the middle of the season is not only disruptive to the local leagues, it also halts any momentum a team might have been carrying until the break arrived.

Playing international matches in a designated and preserved window tends to give those matches better viewership and coverage, it is why the World Cup is still very popular today. It also means better quality of football since the players countries will be using will all be able to stay together for extended periods of time and jell. One year can be used for qualifications and the following year to hold tournaments.

Some people may argue that some countries/continent will receive less coverage as focus will be on European matches more. I say so what? Are all the leagues in the world watches with equal amount of enthusiasm? Do all continental competitions get equal amount of coverage? African matches get lots of viewership likewise South and Central American when it is is shown on TV, it just depends on which broadcasting station opts to show them. Further, just like leagues around the world, matches can be staged in different time periods to avoid clashes, at the same time maximize coverage since everybody will know when to expect their favorite matches to be played.

The current system is not benefiting anyone that much especially viewers who keep getting their weekly addictive dosage of their favorite league disrupted at inopportune periods of the year. Let's be real here, would you rather watching the EPL, La Liga or Bundasliga now rather than all these set of international matches?
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

IAG and TXJ:

Indeed, this is a positive move. But the point is, FOR ONCE IN THEIR ARROGANT LIFE, LET THE EUROPEANS ASSIMILATE! Why must everyone always bend for their comfort? It is their clubs and their leagues that suffer, so why dont they assimilate to benefit their league? Why do the south americans have to bend? Tomorrow, they will also tell africans to play during rainy season in order to benefit the european master.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

dd, as the saying goes: Money talks...
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

txj wrote:Its a global game, hence one game, one unified calendar...

2ndly, Europe remains the nexus of the global game, where the best players, some of the best coaches and ideas, finance, TV, innovation, etc all come together.

Rather than this be this terrible scourge that is being suggested, I see it as just another manifestation of the dynamics of globalization.

Just as in other spheres of the global economy, some see this as an evil that needs to be stopped, others embrace it, and use it to drive innovation.
Please stop peddling this rubbish. It's amazing they are considering shifting the wc in Qatar to November because of the intense heat in the summer yet for African they forget we play our games for climatic reasons. Europe will never be satisfied because they don't value Afcon. If you shift it to summer they'll say now make it 4 yearly. You make it Biennial, they'll say our players return injured or too tired to start the new season
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

pajimoh wrote:

Please stop peddling this rubbish. It's amazing they are considering shifting the wc in Qatar to November because of the intense heat in the summer yet for African they forget we play our games for climatic reasons. Europe will never be satisfied because they don't value Afcon. If you shift it to summer they'll say now make it 4 yearly. You make it Biennial, they'll say our players return injured or too tired to start the new season

i agree with txj.

the WC in Qatar is a one-time event.

AFCON, if it gets moved, is an ongoing competition. It will be a shame to make it 4 years though.

The solution then may be to elevate the status of the CHAN tournament.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pajimoh wrote:

they will tell us to cancel it :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

i dont blame them. they have always had it easy because some africans and south americans accept crap
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]pajimoh[/color] wrote:
[color=brown]txj[/color] wrote: Its a global game, hence one game, one unified calendar...

To be fair the article didn't mention Afcon. Secondly the game and dynamism is changing ever so rapidly so the game has to move with the time. There was a period international matches were played at the discretion of each continental body but now FIFA has standardize the process. Nothing wrong with forward looking by standardizing international competitions as well so that they could be played in the same period as others take place. Let's come off this talk of rainy season disrupting matches in the summer period in Africa. We have seen matches played in the periods of June/July/August with barely any interruptions as a result of weather. Africa is blessed not to be hampered with hurricanes and tsunami issues that wrecks havoc on life and properties.

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Less money for conmebol if the events are held in parallel. I hope they have thought through this well.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Cristao II[/color] wrote: Less money for conmebol if the events are held in parallel. I hope they have thought through this well.
I don't see how that will be when the matches will hold in different time periods, unless you are inferring attention will be divided. I really don't enjoy enjoy watching international competitions in the middle of the season unless Nigeria is playing.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]pajimoh[/color] wrote:
[color=brown]txj[/color] wrote: Its a global game, hence one game, one unified calendar...

To be fair the article didn't mention Afcon. Secondly the game and dynamism is changing ever so rapidly so the game has to move with the time. There was a period international matches were played at the discretion of each continental body but now FIFA has standardize the process. Nothing wrong with forward looking by standardizing international competitions as well so that they could be played in the same period as others take place. Let's come off this talk of rainy season disrupting matches in the summer period in Africa. We have seen matches played in the periods of June/July/August with barely any interruptions as a result of weather. Africa is blessed not to be hampered with hurricanes and tsunami issues that wrecks havoc on life and properties.

I have also seen games played in Europe in January/early february with barely any interruptions as a result of weather. So, why dont the Euros move to January/february to conform with the Afcon? I can see your face now... you are almost collapsing! :rotf: "How is that possible??" "That will never happen!" "The European master cannot be asked to bend over for us." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]Cristao II[/color] wrote: Less money for conmebol if the events are held in parallel. I hope they have thought through this well.
I don't see how that will be when the matches will hold in different time periods, unless you are inferring attention will be divided. I really don't enjoy enjoy watching international competitions in the middle of the season unless Nigeria is playing.
Different time periods? In parallel means at the same time.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

dd, there is a reason why summer breaks are preferred for international competitions rather than winter. Often times it is these Western countries that tend to host major tournaments the most due to their financial, organizational and infrastructural capabilities. Since they play the piper, well guess what, we have to dance to their tune.

Playing international football tournament in the snow is not exactly desirable is it? Not for the players and certainly not for the fans as exemplified in the friendly between Nigeria and Senegal.

Africa doesn't have that problem. We have favorable weather all year round we only have seasonal rain storm but never bad enough to stop football been played or fans' comfort level.

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Cristao II[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
It means matches can be staged in different times of the day. European and African matches can start by noon and go on until 6pm while The American (South, Central and North) matches will still start by noon ET with it's own 6 hour window. That way viewers from those 5 continents can get to see all the matches in decent time.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Its a Goal wrote:dd, there is a reason why summer breaks are preferred for international competitions rather than winter. Often times it is these Western countries that tend to host major tournaments the most due to their financial, organizational and infrastructural capabilities. Since they play the piper, well guess what, we have to dance to their tune.
:rotf: :rotf:

No we dont! Is it by force to go to world cup? We can put all our energy into making the ANC to top top tournament and concentrate on that.

Just imagine if the slave abolitionist said " we have to dance to their tune" since they pay the piper? Or Apatheid? Or Segregation. You NEVER EVER EVER have to dance to anyone's tune. NEVER! You always have a choice and its by taking a stand that things happen. They can pay the piper all they want, but you are never forced to dance to the tune. You dance because you either love the music being played, or because you lack self esteem.
Playing international football tournament in the snow is not exactly desirable is it? Not for the players and certainly not for the fans as exemplified in the friendly between Nigeria and Senegal.

Africa doesn't have that problem. We have favorable weather all year round we only have seasonal rain storm but never bad enough to stop football been played or fans' comfort level.
Do we now? So, we dont have water logged pitches during rainy season? The fans can hold umbrella up all through the game abi? Truth be told is that even in Europe, they have stadia with roofs now... and even heaters.

We dont have to bend for them. Let them bend ONCE in their entire life. Just ONCE!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]Cristao II[/color] wrote:
Its a Goal wrote:
It means matches can be staged in different times of the day. European and African matches can start by noon and go on until 6pm while The American (South, Central and North) matches will still start by noon ET with it's own 6 hour window. That way viewers from those 5 continents can get to see all the matches in decent time.
O HO! As usual, the African man can accept the suffering. I dont think you understood what Cristao is saying. So if A European match and an African match is scheduled on the same time, which match do you think the Sponsors will pay to have their products advertised? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Sir, this is not about I (IAG) will watch the African match because I am African. This is about sponsorship. The sponsors are more likely to pay for the European match, which will cost CAF and African football serious money
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

As part of the harmonization, each federation should have same number of representatives at the WC.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

I see it as a manifestation of a shift of power towards the clubs and away from national teams. Also you equate this proposal with globalization, but lots of people (including on this forum) have suggested other ways to embrace globalization. A winter break for the major European leagues comes to mind.
Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]General Trousers[/color] wrote: These South Americans ... I don't know what to say ...
But on the real fact, this is a positive move on their part. Just as FIFA has unified all international matches so should all continental competitions be harmonized. Clubs pay a hefty sum to develop players, keep them in tip top condition and most importantly provide them with financial incentives that they could never have dreamed of only for them to lose them in the middle of the season for a competition that has no financial gain for them nor provides any residual value.

What is wrong with having all leagues in the world start their season say in August and finish in early April? All countries can play their matches afterwards from April until late May and then after clubs can spend the next 2 months in summer preparing for the next season while players can have the opportunity to gain a full recovery.

Playing international matches in the middle of the season is not only disruptive to the local leagues, it also halts any momentum a team might have been carrying until the break arrived.
Playing international matches in a designated and preserved window tends to give those matches better viewership and coverage, it is why the World Cup is still very popular today. It also means better quality of football since the players countries will be using will all be able to stay together for extended periods of time and jell. One year can be used for qualifications and the following year to hold tournaments.

Some people may argue that some countries/continent will receive less coverage as focus will be on European matches more. I say so what? Are all the leagues in the world watches with equal amount of enthusiasm? Do all continental competitions get equal amount of coverage? African matches get lots of viewership likewise South and Central American when it is is shown on TV, it just depends on which broadcasting station opts to show them. Further, just like leagues around the world, matches can be staged in different time periods to avoid clashes, at the same time maximize coverage since everybody will know when to expect their favorite matches to be played.

The current system is not benefiting anyone that much especially viewers who keep getting their weekly addictive dosage of their favorite league disrupted at inopportune periods of the year.
Let's be real here, would you rather watching the EPL, La Liga or Bundasliga now rather than all these set of international matches?

Of couse the current system is benefiting the national teams! Also, at least in Germany, generally speaking: national team > club football. More than 11m viewers watched the match, compared to more than 5m for the Freiburg - Bayern game. Also do you think that Özil or Khedira went to Real Madrid because they played so well for Bremen/Stuttgart? The World Cup is the pinnacle of football, if the World Cup and the EPL were to be played at the same time, no one would bother watching the EPL.

On another note, what do you think where most Bundesliga clubs do the scouting? It is the federation that starts scouting players at very young age and invites them to camps etc. That is where the clubs come into play.

Its a Goal wrote:
Of course attention will be divided :!:

The love affair is not just local. The Premier League games broadcast over Christmas and New Year’s are regularly among the most watched of the entire season across the world. Rivals, most notably France’s Ligue 1, believe it gives English soccer a competitive advantage in the global battle for viewers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/spor ... .html?_r=0
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wanaj0 wrote:As part of the harmonization, each federation should have same number of representatives at the WC.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Harmonization only works when the European Master is benefiting. Kai! Africans! We truly need to liberate ourselves.