Nigeria-Burkina Faso friendly cancelled

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Real Reason NIGERIA VS Burkina Faso-was CALLED OFF!!!

Post by aruako1 »

bully12 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:This has not been officially communicated to me by the match agent, the NFF or Barnet FC. Can people please stop rushing to post news without getting confirmation.
Why should they officially communicate to you about the cancellation ? Are you one of the organizers ?
He bought a ticket and should be advised of any cancellation. Surely that is not so difficult to figure out?
Sir I bought a ticket to go to Nigeria in December it was cancelled . Nobody informed until I got the airport. I know they are obligated to inform me but most often you are left to find out the hard way
You asked why and I told you.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria v Burkina Faso called off?

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Where Is the media officer? Guess he's too busy with his day job.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

anointed wrote:If true, the reason even from fifa angles is just rubbish. This should have been based on distance and jet lag inducing flights rather than just continents. So if B.Faso were to be playing in South Africa, it would have been okay by fifa despite the fact that it's farther than London to Morocco.

And for crying out loud, what kind of planning gets a match called of just for whimsical excuse like this, considering all the other things that should have been in place? This is not just NFF but the match promoters, who should have years of experience in things like this.
anointed,

TBH, a few days ago I did wonder about the viability of the Burkina game based on that FIFA rule. Remember, a game SE v Ghana was cancelled because of this rule just a few years ago. Thus, this isn't new. However, I did not post on this issue on this site because of what you stated above that I highlighted. I felt that since Burkina's game was in Morocco, the FIFA rule may not apply because the distance isn't that much. I still feel that it shouldn't and I remain uncertain that the own goal.com angle may not be accurate. After all, there is also a story out there that the lack of visas to Burkina players may be a reason.
GHANA-NIGERIA FRIENDLY CANCELLED BY FIFA
Ghana-Nigeria friendly cancelled by FIFA
Ghana
http://africanfootball.com/news/514201/ ... ed-by-FIFA
by Ameenu Shardow
Saturday Feb 28, 2015. 15:32

Nigeria’s quest to play Ghana next month in London in an international friendly has been scuttled due to a FIFA directive.

According to the FIFA regulations, no country should play two games across two continents in three days.

The Nigeria Football Federation had announced the Super Eagles would play Bolivia on 26 March 26 in Uyo (Africa) and then take on the Black Stars on 29 March in London (Europe).

This means the Ghana Football Association can now consider proposals from teams including Australia.

It has the option to play all two matches during the FIFA free window next month either in Europe or Asia.

Ghana finished second at the just ended 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea after losing 9-8 on penalties to Ivory Coast.

The Super Eagles were seeking to use the game against their sworn rivals to kick-start their preparations for the 2017 African qualifiers.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Ahnn ahnn London is not that far from Morocco.

Is it not just a question of general well being and health, or is the issue air travel? Can somebody tell what exactly is the specific variable that they are concerned with.

If it is distance, as somebody else mentioned then why should our friendly be cancelled? The distances all players have had to travel is hardly excessive.

Blanket rules/laws are most stupid form of regulation. Regulation should aim to be as specific as humanly possible, without of course inflating costs and administration.

If they have just left the argument at 'continent' and there is no fine print or hidden details, then that falls in the category of blanket rules that I am against.

Now when I say it shouldn't be cancelled (I should add), I don't mean in this instance, obviously we should know the legislation...but I am just speaking philosophically (In case somebody nitpicks on my argument)
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tbite wrote:Ahnn ahnn London is not that far from Morocco.

Is it not just a question of general well being and health, or is the issue air travel? Can somebody tell what exactly is the specific variable that they are concerned with.

If it is distance, as somebody else mentioned then why should our friendly be cancelled? The distances all players have had to travel is hardly excessive.

Blanket rules/laws are most stupid form of regulation. Regulation should aim to be as specific as humanly possible, without of course inflating costs and administration.

If they have just left the argument at 'continent' and there is no fine print or hidden details, then that falls in the category of blanket rules that I am against.

Now when I say it shouldn't be cancelled (I should add), I don't mean in this instance, obviously we should know the legislation...but I am just speaking philosophically (In case somebody nitpicks on my argument)
Tbite,

I do not believe the FIFA rule (It does exist) is the reason for the cancellation. More plausible reason is the visa issue.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...and you would think real football organizers know all these rules from football governing body. It's like an ordained preacher preaching nonsense out of the bible.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Match has been called off. SE are trying to arrange a friendly with any of the English club sides.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Sir V wrote:Match has been called off. SE are trying to arrange a friendly with any of the English club sides.
Na wa.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The match was originally set for Tuesday 28th of March (even though according to the report Wednesday was what Fifa would require) so why was it moved to Monday?
I doubt it anyone can answer this as I asked the same question last week with no reply!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

cic old boy wrote:
Sir V wrote:Match has been called off. SE are trying to arrange a friendly with any of the English club sides.
Na wa.

Maybe they can get Arsenal. :lol:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Coach wrote:Any particular reason why the friendly couldn't have been played in Burkina, Faso or Nigeria?
Well it's way too late now they should have thought about that ages ago my guess is they probably know most players from both teams play in Europe but forgot about the rule as they probably don't hire people who think!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I hope this disorganization does not put off Ebuehi and Bazee.
I am happy
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39393843

Nigeria friendly with Burkina Faso cancelled

By Oluwashina Okeleji BBC Sport28 minutes ago
Burkina Faso
The Burkina Faso team whose friendly against Nigeria on Monday has been cancelled.
Nigeria's friendly with Burkina Faso on Monday in London has been called off after several Burkina Faso players failed to gain visas to enter the UK.

According to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) "seven players in the Burkinabe contingent failed to secure entry visas into the United Kingdom".

The match was scheduled as part of Nigeria's build-up for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa in June and the World Cup qualifier against Cameroon later in the year.

"The match in question is called off due to no fault of either the organisers or the Nigeria Football Federation. We will announce further plans for the Super Eagles' preparation for these two important qualifying campaigns in due course," top NFF official Chris Green said.

The Super Eagles drew 1-1 with Senegal on Thursday night after Kelechi Iheanacho's late penalty cancelled out Moussa Sow's opening goal at the Hive, home of English fourth tier side Barnet.

The NFF say they are "extremely disappointed" the match on Monday has been called off but insist that the "objectives of satisfying the technical team's desire of squaring up against tough, physical African opposition and fostering team bonding and organisation were achieved".

"There is no British Embassy in Ouagadougou, and officials of the Federation Burkinabe de Football had been shuttling between Accra and Ouagadougou for visa processing," the NFF explained in a statement.

"FBF (Burkina Faso Football Federation) sources said the Embassy in Accra told them last week to proceed to Morocco (where The Stallions played the Atlas Lions on Friday) and that the visas would be issued there.

"However, the applications were still pending at the British Embassy in Morocco as at close of work on Friday, the last working day before match day in London.

"The Burkinabe Football Federation - on Friday 24 March 2017 by 7pm UK time - telephoned the match organisers [Eurodata] to say some of their players and officials were unable to secure entry visas into the United Kingdom and therefore would not be able to honour the match."

Three-time African champions Nigeria have failed to qualify for the last two editions of the Africa Cup of Nations.

But under new manager Gernot Rohr, who took charge in August, the Super Eagles got off to a flying start in their 2018 World Cup qualifiers, recording a 2-1 win in Zambia and a 3-1 victory at home against Algeria.

Nigeria's six points, coupled with some surprising results in the other games, leaves them with an early four-point lead in their 2018 World Cup qualifying group ahead of Cameroon and Zambia.

Burkina Faso finished third at the recent Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon and lost 2-0 to Morocco in Friday's friendly.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
Coach wrote:Any particular reason why the friendly couldn't have been played in Burkina, Faso or Nigeria?
Well it's way too late now they should have thought about that ages ago my guess is they probably know most players from both teams play in Europe but forgot about the rule as they probably don't hire people who think!
It could not have been possible except if Nigeria v Senegal was ALSO played in Africa.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

aruako1 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:This has not been officially communicated to me by the match agent, the NFF or Barnet FC. Can people please stop rushing to post news without getting confirmation.
Why should they officially communicate to you about the cancellation ? Are you one of the organizers ?
He bought a ticket and should be advised of any cancellation. Surely that is not so difficult to figure out?
Most don't know how customers are treated in the Western world you can't blame them!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yes, the FIFA rule will prohibit such an arrangement unless Nigeria v Senegal was also played in Africa. However, I do not believe that the rule was the reason for cancellation of Nigeria v Burkina Faso game.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

The real reason is on bbc. The visa issues was the main reason for the cancellation.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/39393843
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

bully12 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Sir I bought a ticket to go to Nigeria in December it was cancelled . Nobody informed until I got the airport. I know they are obligated to inform me but most often you are left to find out the hard way
The airline should either put you up in a hotel until another flight is available or give you free flight (if you demand a reason they should tell you and give something back out of cutesy but I don't see anyone gaining out of this circumstance no match and no money back it's not right!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Enugu II wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
It could not have been possible except if Nigeria v Senegal was ALSO played in Africa.
The issue with the location is too 'blanket' for me. Cueta, Spain is very close to Gibralter, yet is even in continental Africa! Most likely they are speaking of the geo-political Africa, but the point is.....that continents cannot determine reasonable preparation times. So regarding that, is there more?

Another major issue is obviously the Window. While it would be nice to hold as many CAF games on African soil, playing with the Window would afford us more opportunities, now and in the future. The window for this rule is a period of 3 days.

I haven't checked the dates, but obviously we are dealing with a FIFA free window if I assume correctly. There is obviously an issue if we play outside of this window because clubs are not obliged to release players. Now assuming that FIFA Windows cannot give us the 4 or so days that we require, couldn't we consider possibilities such as club fixtures themselves. I know we have mentioned forthcoming fixtures, but what about the fixtures beforehand? Couldn't we start a friendly for example before the window, at a period where we could get the release of a bunch of players...execute that friendly with those players, PLUS homebased players and then execute the second friendly within the FIFA free dates.

It is difficult to negotiate with clubs, but not impossible, as long as we take their fixtures into consideration.

We need to consider all options in these matters. The first friendly would be in Nigeria for example to take advantage of the homebased players and our own logistics, the second friendly would be in Europe, because the foreign players could then easily return to their clubs.

FIFA IMO does not always legislate in rational ways. Some of their rulings are counterproductive and cause more problems than they solve, but we need to understand them fully.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tbite wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
The issue with the location is too 'blanket' for me. Cueta, Spain is very close to Gibralter, yet is even in continental Africa! Most likely they are speaking of the geo-political Africa, but the point is.....that continents cannot determine reasonable preparation times. So regarding that, is there more?

Another major issue is obviously the Window. While it would be nice to hold as many CAF games on African soil, playing with the Window would afford us more opportunities, now and in the future. The window for this rule is a period of 3 days.

I haven't checked the dates, but obviously we are dealing with a FIFA free window if I assume correctly. There is obviously an issue if we play outside of this window because clubs are not obliged to release players. Now assuming that FIFA Windows cannot give us the 4 or so days that we require, couldn't we consider possibilities such as club fixtures themselves. I know we have mentioned forthcoming fixtures, but what about the fixtures beforehand? Couldn't we start a friendly for example before the window, at a period where we could get the release of a bunch of players...execute that friendly with those players, PLUS homebased players and then execute the second friendly within the FIFA free dates.

It is difficult to negotiate with clubs, but not impossible, as long as we take their fixtures into consideration.

We need to consider all options in these matters. The first friendly would be in Nigeria for example to take advantage of the homebased players and our own logistics, the second friendly would be in Europe, because the foreign players could then easily return to their clubs.

FIFA IMO does not always legislate in rational ways. Some of their rulings are counterproductive and cause more problems than they solve, but we need to understand them fully.
Tbite,

I agree with your point about distance being far more important than continent and your examples demonstrate that. Your example of how this could be done is okay but remember the clubs, ordinarily, do to want to release their players not just because of fixture issues but also possibility of injuries. They are forced to do so under FIFA rules and within international windows but they often do so grudgingly. So it will not work as smoothly as one may think.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Oh well, it is work on Monday for me!
http://www.naijiant.com/
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Eaglezbeak wrote:The match was originally set for Tuesday 28th of March (even though according to the report Wednesday was what Fifa would require) so why was it moved to Monday?
I doubt it anyone can answer this as I asked the same question last week with no reply!
Eaglezbeak,

Wednesday was never possible because it falls outside the FIFA calendar (see below). Tuesday may have been ditched for logistic reasons that we may not be privy to.

MARCH
http://www.fifa.com/calendar/

20 - 28 MARCH
Official or Friendly Matches

28 MARCH
Audit and Compliance Committee (Zurich)

28 MARCH
Development Committee (Zurich)

29 MARCH
Finance Committee (Zurich)

29 MARCH
Organising Committee for the FIFA Competitions (Zurich)

30 MARCH
FIFA Bureau of the Council meeting (Zurich)
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

And the confirmation should come from you :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”