Nigeria-Burkina Faso friendly cancelled

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria v Burkina Faso called off?

Post by Dammy »

S-H-O-C-K-E-R! Eagles vs Burkina Faso cancelled, NFF claim visa hitch
By
Samm Audu -
March 24, 2017 251
Share on Facebook
Tweet on Twitter

Monday’s friendly between the Super Eagles and Burkina Faso in London has been called off with top NFF officials claiming that this was caused by Burkina Faso’s failure to secure entry visas to England.

SCORENigeria has information that world football governing body FIFA approved the Eagles second London friendly against Burkina Faso, but fresh facts are now emerging that the NFF may have ran foul of a FIFA rule that allows for two travel days and another two rest days between matches for any team during the friendly window.

And with the Stallions having played against Morocco Friday night in Marrakesh, the earliest the Eagles vs Burkina Faso would have been played would have been on Wednesday.

Morocco beat Burkina Faso 2-0 Friday night.

“There is something very fishy about this cancellation,” a top source told SCORENigeria as there have been initial suggestions that the match against Burkina Faso was not possible after some time.

Earlier Friday, Granada CF midfielder Uche Agbo was told by officials not to join the squad in London even after he secured his visa after several attempts.

Defender Musa Mohammed’s visa application was also rejected with Kingsley Madu also yet to be granted visa to join the team from his base in Belgium.

Eagles backroom staff, who are yet to join the squad in London, as well as some secretariat staff were due to depart Nigeria Sunday afternoon so as to arrive in time for the Monday clash.

The officials included Eagles co-ordinator Patrick Pascal.

Sports minister Solomon Dalung was also scheduled to fly out for the game this weekend, but it was later gathered he cancelled such plan.
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/03/24/s ... isa-hitch/
I am happy
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria v Burkina Faso called off?

Post by Mr Shows »

Big shame if this is true...Boils down to nothing but poor planning..These are all 'known' variables. Also I really don't get this brouhaha of visas being applied for just days before a pre scheduled match..
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Trying to get a scrimmage organised with a local team might not even fly because 'notice is required' and the time is too short.....Damn! the NFF can make your blood boil at times. When are we going to have able bodies running our game. :boo:
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Lets start praying. Prayer works yawl
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Mr Shows wrote:Trying to get a scrimmage organised with a local team might not even fly because 'notice is required' and the time is too short.....Damn! the NFF can make your blood boil at times. When are we going to have able bodies running our game. :boo:
Come on now, what has NFF got to do with this, read the message again and rechannel your frustration accordingly
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
EagleEye
Egg
Egg
Real Reason NIGERIA VS Burkina Faso-was CALLED OFF!!!

Post by EagleEye »

The Super Eagles of Nigeria proposed friendly game against Burkina Faso earlier planned for Monday in London won’t be taking place due to issues surrounding FIFA regulations on travelling distance for friendly games.

FIFA rules states that matches across two continents can only be played after a four days interval, and Burkina Faso were in action against Morocco in Marrakesh on Friday.

Burkina Faso were beaten 2-0 by the Moroccans, a day after Nigeria’s 1-1 draw against Senegal at The Hive, but the tie fell short of FIFA regulations on time interval for friendly games across two continents.

The earliest they would have taken on Nigeria should have been Wednesday, but organisers of the Friendly game fixed the game for Monday to allow European based players return to their respective teams on time for weekend games.

Already players of the Super Eagles who are yet to arrive London have been informed about the development, although the NFF are making alternate plans to see if a game can be organised with a local team in London.

*Michael James reporting from London
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

Smh
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Kai i was looking forward to the match.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Real Reason NIGERIA VS Burkina Faso-was CALLED OFF!!!

Post by Coach »

Any particular reason why the friendly couldn't have been played in Burkina, Faso or Nigeria?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

This has not been officially communicated to me by the match agent, the NFF or Barnet FC. Can people please stop rushing to post news without getting confirmation.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I just got this email from Barnet:

Hi Ayo,

Thank you for your match report and see you Monday.

Regards,

Matt Driver

Chief Operating Officer
The Hive London
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Let me check with the match agent and Barnet FC
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

akamoke wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Trying to get a scrimmage organised with a local team might not even fly because 'notice is required' and the time is too short.....Damn! the NFF can make your blood boil at times. When are we going to have able bodies running our game. :boo:
Come on now, what has NFF got to do with this, read the message again and rechannel your frustration accordingly
Says NFF ran foul of a FIFA regulation...am I missing something..
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ay thanks for shedding more light :thumb:. Lets hope everything pans out ok
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

No official confirmation. Tickets still being sold on the Barnet website.
http://www.naijiant.com/
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

If true, the reason even from fifa angles is just rubbish. This should have been based on distance and jet lag inducing flights rather than just continents. So if B.Faso were to be playing in South Africa, it would have been okay by fifa despite the fact that it's farther than London to Morocco.

And for crying out loud, what kind of planning gets a match called of just for whimsical excuse like this, considering all the other things that should have been in place? This is not just NFF but the match promoters, who should have years of experience in things like this.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

If it is true how come FIFA did not inform them until this last minute ..It is quite unfair, the matches were scheduled about 4 months ago but they kept quite but to cancel it this minute with an asinine and frivolous excuse. NFF should sue FIFI to defray every cost they incurred to organize the match . They have no justified reason to botch up the match at this last second when all preparations have been completed.
Last edited by bully12 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

I asked Iwobi's dad if the match is called off. He said " I don't think so. I'm going to watch the training this morning and will get back to you"
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

At least lets wait for credible media outlets like BBC sports to confirm it, or even the NFF before rushing to post some unconfirmed thrash here.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:I got this from Barnet FC:

Hi Ayo,

Thank you for your match report and see you Monday.

Regards,

Matt Driver

Chief Operating Officer
The Hive London
Ayo what does his response mean? Does it mean he is oblivious of the cancellation or rumour of the cancellation is fallacious? Another question who is disseminating this rumour and where is the rumour emanating from?
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:This has not been officially communicated to me by the match agent, the NFF or Barnet FC. Can people please stop rushing to post news without getting confirmation.
Why should they officially communicate to you about the cancellation ? Are you one of the organizers ?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

bully12 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:This has not been officially communicated to me by the match agent, the NFF or Barnet FC. Can people please stop rushing to post news without getting confirmation.
Why should they officially communicate to you about the cancellation ? Are you one of the organizers ?
He bought a ticket and should be advised of any cancellation. Surely that is not so difficult to figure out?
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

aruako1 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
He bought a ticket and should be advised of any cancellation. Surely that is not so difficult to figure out?
Sir I bought a ticket to go to Nigeria in December it was cancelled . Nobody informed until I got the airport. I know they are obligated to inform me but most often you are left to find out the hard way