Is the Bell Tolling for Mikel Obi?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is the Bell Tolling for Mikel Obi?

Post by Enugu II »

However, the truth is that even before London the signs of a transition had already appeared. Though Coach Gernot Rohr's handed over the team captainship to a deserving Mikel Obi, what was left unspoken was that Rohr substituted Mikel in two of three games that Mikel played under Rohr. It was not so much as Mikel playing poorly in those games but the Coach introducing new faces for the future.
What is left now is to ask whether Mikel Obi will be starting games in the near future. If Nigeria plays at the World Cup of 2018 and the Nations Cup of 2019, would Mikel start the games or would he lead from the bench as Stephen Keshi did in 1994 and Nwankwo Kanu did during the tail end of his career?
For details, click below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/03/i ... l-obi.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is the Bell Tolling for Mikel Obi?

Post by vancity eagle »

Nonsense.

Mikel was substituted because he was not fully match fit, not because Rohr is "looking to the future"

Rohr knows that no Nigerian midfielder can shine Mikel's boots, whether Mikel hasn't even played a club match in months, or whether he is playing in China or on the Moon.

He is SE best midfielder BY FAR.

In fact he is SE best player of any position BY FAR.

People keep trying to hate on Mikel and downplay his importance. These people do not understand football AT ALL.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Why this notion that Mikel is being phased out? I don't believe so. Mikel may have asked to be excused, mikel can bench for now he so important to SE than any other SE player since okocha retired.

The coach is just looking for able replacement if mikel is tired or to be replaced.

Mikel is going nowhere for a while.

Igaho had phased himself out after the performance of kayode.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

vancity eagle wrote:Nonsense.

Mikel was substituted because he was not fully match fit, not because Rohr is "looking to the future"

Rohr knows that no Nigerian midfielder can shine Mikel's boots, whether Mikel hasn't even played a club match in months, or whether he is playing in China or on the Moon.

People keep trying to hate on Mikel and downplay his importance. These people do not understand football AT ALL.
Honestly I was obfuscated when Oliseh unceremoniously benched him for Mr Nobody. I was more surprise the serenity he displaced in spite an apparent and deliberate humiliation by mercurial Oliseh. Most Nigerian players after that gratuitous humiliation could have quit the team but Mikel was absolutely stolid to Oliseh imperfection . Since then I doff my hat for him t though, I still feel he did not maximize his God given potential. No doubt he accomplished a lot in his career but I feel he could have accomplished more if he has applied himself a little bit more. He had the potential of being world player of the year but his phlegmatic attitude impeded him.
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

By far our most cerebral player. If you want to know what Mikel is about, go watch the AFCON 2013 game against CIV and see how he made a mockery of a team of superstars. Like someone stated, might not have reached his full potentials but he's still ok in my books. After the World cup I think he should call it a day for the National team.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

okidoki wrote:By far our most cerebral player. If you want to know what Mikel is about, go watch the AFCON 2013 game against CIV and see how he made a mockery of a team of superstars. Like someone stated, might not have reached his full potentials but he's still ok in my books. After the World cup I think he should call it a day for the National team.

Unfortunately, the question is not about his abilities. Clearly, when the Nigerian All Time team is considered, Mikel will be part of the conversation. However, the question is whether Rohr is in the process of transitioning Mikel from being the key player of the team to one in the periphery. That is the question.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Enugu II wrote:
okidoki wrote:By far our most cerebral player. If you want to know what Mikel is about, go watch the AFCON 2013 game against CIV and see how he made a mockery of a team of superstars. Like someone stated, might not have reached his full potentials but he's still ok in my books. After the World cup I think he should call it a day for the National team.
Unfortunately, the question is not about his abilities. Clearly, when the Nigerian All Time team is considered, Mikel will be part of the conversation. However, the question is whether Rohr is in the process of transitioning Mikel from being the key player of the team to one in the periphery. That is the question.
That's bound to be the case anyway, especially with his moving to China. It also seems that Rohr likes a very mobile team, especially in the middle.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Enugu II wrote:
However, the truth is that even before London the signs of a transition had already appeared. Though Coach Gernot Rohr's handed over the team captainship to a deserving Mikel Obi, what was left unspoken was that Rohr substituted Mikel in two of three games that Mikel played under Rohr. It was not so much as Mikel playing poorly in those games but the Coach introducing new faces for the future.
What is left now is to ask whether Mikel Obi will be starting games in the near future. If Nigeria plays at the World Cup of 2018 and the Nations Cup of 2019, would Mikel start the games or would he lead from the bench as Stephen Keshi did in 1994 and Nwankwo Kanu did during the tail end of his career?
For details, click below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/03/i ... l-obi.html
Mu guy the bell tolls for everyone of us...from the moment we are born.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

So Rohr told you these things? :? The way you manage to pass your opinions as fact.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Remind me the last time Mikel completed 90mins in naija jersey and how many times.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Simple and plain
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

This is correct
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

theYemster wrote:

So Rohr told you these things? :? The way you manage to pass your opinions as fact.
re the early substitution: He said something along those lines in a press conference in one of his earlier matches
“I cannot punish a player who loves his country and shows that he loves the green jersey. He is here with us and he is fit and I hope he can play for 90 minutes against Algeria but if it is not possible, we shall see.”
http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/niger ... obi-mikel/
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

I don't understand why many of you say future in football. . It is now, the future never comes..it is always now...una funny
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Enugu II wrote:

The recent performance against Senegal without Milkel definitely indicate his presence is still high needed to create a ballast for the team. Nobody is matured or grown enough to take his place. There is no question about it without him this team is heading down nowhere. His presence helps the team to rise above the stagnant level of mediocrity. Indubitable this manifested prominently when SE won the 2013 AFCON and the last Olympics.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Mikelele is now a liability b/c other midfielders have to do their work and his when he is playing.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

after una watch friendly, una dey dance say Mikel isn't needed :lol:
SuperEagles

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

bully12 wrote:

Honestly I was obfuscated when Oliseh unceremoniously benched him for Mr Nobody. I was more surprise the serenity he displaced in spite an apparent and deliberate humiliation by mercurial Oliseh. Most Nigerian players after that gratuitous humiliation could have quit the team but Mikel was absolutely stolid to Oliseh imperfection . Since then I doff my hat for him t though, I still feel he did not maximize his God given potential. No doubt he accomplished a lot in his career but I feel he could have accomplished more if he has applied himself a little bit more. He had the potential of being world player of the year but his phlegmatic attitude impeded him.

So Oliseh obfuscated you? Where is the nearest magistrate?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote:

I think you are begging the question. There is no indication that anything like that is in the offing :!:

Cheers.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

After watching the friendly, I realize that we still need Mikel mainly for the qualifiers and especially for Cameroun.

Iwobi in the AM position has not proven yet, that he can control and dictate the game from the midfield. Etebo (AM/CM) and Onazi neither. We need Mikel controling the game, the experience and the strenght. MIKEL is central to pipping Cameroun home and away.

BUt at the WC, would he have a starting shirt? Lets see how Iwobi, Ndidi, Nwakali and co turn out by end of this year.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

chief nfachairman wrote:After watching the friendly, I realize that we still need Mikel mainly for the qualifiers and especially for Cameroun.

Iwobi in the AM position has not proven yet, that he can control and dictate the game from the midfield. Etebo (AM/CM) and Onazi neither. We need Mikel controling the game, the experience and the strenght. MIKEL is central to pipping Cameroun home and away.

BUt at the WC, would he have a starting shirt? Lets see how Iwobi, Ndidi, Nwakali and co turn out by end of this year.

you are just all over the place :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: worlcup no be pikin ball dem dey play for AFOCN or Worlcup... get this ..Mikel will start and ball until he falls for the SE.. the guy is 29 going on 30.. A minimum of 5 years left until he quits the SE..... 2018 Worlcup, Afcon 2019 and Afcon 2021( if body still gree am) However all that matters nah today, the future will always wait...
SuperEagles

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

when players get old their pace goes.

Mikel's game is not based on pace.

I see no reason why Mikel should still not be a part of Nigerias SE team going into the 2022 WorldCup. He is a world class player so why not ?

He will be 35 in 2022. Currently Yaya Toure is 33 and the new coach of Belgium is still trying to woo hi back to the national team.

Mikel may not be a starter in 2022 but I put it to you that he can play an impact from the bench at the very least.

What player comes close to Mikel's vision, calmness on the ball, strength, and control.

Europe's best players are in their mid 30's and still playing international ball.

Mikel's age is genuine.
obaGol
Egg
Egg

Post by obaGol »

vancity eagle wrote:when players get old their pace goes.

Mikel's game is not based on pace.

I see no reason why Mikel should still not be a part of Nigerias SE team going into the 2022 WorldCup. He is a world class player so why not ?

He will be 35 in 2022. Currently Yaya Toure is 33 and the new coach of Belgium is still trying to woo hi back to the national team.

Mikel may not be a starter in 2022 but I put it to you that he can play an impact from the bench at the very least.

What player comes close to Mikel's vision, calmness on the ball, strength, and control.

Europe's best players are in their mid 30's and still playing international ball.

Mikel's age is genuine.
The best coach in English football didn't even let this guy play 'garbage time' minutes at the end of games. The guy goes to China instead of a competitive league. Now you say he's the best player at any position? He's clearly not world class. Even he know's it. Don't waste Nigeria's time with this stuff, we have enough trouble as it is. Now you want to attach dead weight to drag us under? You think Mikel is our greatest ever player? Fine! Build him a statue and donate to his gofundme page. But don't drag his half-retired carcass back into important games.

P.S. Mikel is not Yaya Toure