Roberto Martinez sacked

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Roberto Martinez sacked

Post by pajimoh »

Everton have sacked manager Roberto Martinez after three years in charge.

Martinez's side, 12th in the Premier League, were beaten 3-1 by champions Leicester on Saturday and lost 3-0 at Sunderland on Wednesday.

The Toffees lost in the semi-finals of the FA Cup and League Cup this season.

They have won just five league games at home all season and are guaranteed to finish with their lowest points tally at Goodison Park since the introduction of three points for a win in 1981.

The club are expected to make an official announcement imminently to confirm their decision.
Bar chart

There have been an increasing number of protests against the Spaniard from supporters at recent home matches.

A banner saying "Time to go Roberto" was flown over Goodison during the 2-1 win over Bournemouth on 30 April, while some Everton fans remained inside the ground for more than hour after the match to protest against Martinez and chairman Bill Kenwright.

A 4-0 loss to Liverpool and FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United at Wembley came within four days of each other. Martinez had previously stated that they would be "defining" fixtures for his side.

The 42-year-old promised to deliver Champions League football when he was appointed to replace David Moyes in the summer of 2013 and he finished fifth in his first season in charge with 72 points - the most achieved by Everton since they last won the league title in 1986-87.

Last season they slipped to 11th.
Everton in 2015-16
Reached semi-finals of FA Cup and League Cup
Only Aston Villa and Bournemouth have conceded more goals at home in the PL
Won only one league game against a team outside the bottom six since 12 September

Over the past two seasons Everton have won a combined 22 league games - just one more than in 2013-14.

They have conceded 18 points from winning positions this season - only Tottenham with 20 and Liverpool (19) have a worse record.

Two-goal advantages were lost at Bournemouth and Chelsea - and even when they regained the lead in injury time in both games they still were pegged back to 3-3.

In March, a 2-0 lead at home to West Ham with 12 minutes left ended in a 3-2 defeat.

Last season the Toffees had the joint worst record with Sunderland for teams losing points from winning positions with 19.
Everton boss Roberto Martinez

Martinez successfully fought to keep hold of defender John Stones last summer as Everton rejected a £30m bid from Chelsea, but striker Romelu Lukaku said in March that he is keen to play in the Champions League next season.

In January, Martinez bought forward Oumar Niasse from Lokomotiv Moscow for £13.5m - Everton's third most expensive signing - but the Senegal striker has started only two matches, failing to score in seven appearances in total.

Everton came under new ownership in February when Iranian businessman Farhad Moshiri bought a 49.9% stake.

Martinez began his managerial career at Swansea in 2007 and oversaw promotion from League One in his first full season in charge before joining Wigan in 2009.

He led the Latics to their first FA Cup victory in 2013, beating Manchester City 1-0 in the final, but they were relegated from the Premier League three days later and he took over at Everton shortly after.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Roberto Martinez sacked

Post by balo »

About time.

Moyes coming back?
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

Shocking :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

balo wrote:About time.

Moyes coming back?
Hell no :)
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
Blukyt
Egg
Egg

Post by Blukyt »

De Boer is nailed on
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...was expected, but will soon get another plum job. Time for Mourinho to come take a low club up the ladder, let's see what he's made off.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

mcal wrote:...was expected, but will soon get another plum job. Time for Mourinho to come take a low club up the ladder, let's see what he's made off.
You want the club to go Leeds way?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Blukyt wrote:De Boer is nailed on
It is a secret. :sneaky:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

Blukyt wrote:De Boer is nailed on
EPL go be waya next year...
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

mcal wrote:...was expected, but will soon get another plum job. Time for Mourinho to come take a low club up the ladder, let's see what he's made off.
He has done all that in Portugal, he has earned the right to mingle with rich clubs. Why should he go back when he has paid his dues or do you think he started his career with Chelsea or Porto?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

oloye wrote:
He has done all that in Portugal, he has earned the right to mingle with rich clubs. Why should he go back when he has paid his dues or do you think he started his career with Chelsea or Porto?

He needs to go relearn the trade. :)
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

mcal wrote:...was expected, but will soon get another plum job. Time for Mourinho to come take a low club up the ladder, let's see what he's made of.
For coaches like him, the highlighted will not happen.
It's 'gravy time'. Get a talented team and lots of money to burn. Pass or fail, move to another plum job.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Poch agreed a new deal at Spurs. How come people are seeing him with Fegwuson?

Spurs fans!!

toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

balo wrote:Poch agreed a new deal at Spurs. How come people are seeing him with Fegwuson?

Spurs fans!!
Learn from your betters
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

If only Lukaku hadn't missed that penalty against Man u
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

balo wrote:
oloye wrote:

Mo ti so fun e pe irokuro e po! Re-learn kini?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: STORY!!!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Martinez had it coming with the yeye set and ajebota football he was playing. Handing sensitive roles in the team to the overhyped england muppets .

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

oloye wrote:
balo wrote:
oloye wrote:

The man messed up this season.

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

balo wrote:
oloye wrote:
balo wrote:
oloye wrote:

And that was a crucial lesson learnt ,that pride can send a man crashing down the ladder in a jiffy.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

oloye wrote:
balo wrote:
oloye wrote:
balo wrote:
oloye wrote:

And that was a crucial lesson learnt ,that pride can send a man crashing down the ladder in a jiffy.
...hence re-learn his trade. May be he can do miracles, Everton win epl next year :shock:
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Same Martinez that was being championed as the "capable one" to take over from Arsenal by some gooners.
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

If Everton have any sense, they will go for Pelegrini.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?