Were Nigeria's Problems Solved v Senegal?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Were Nigeria's Problems Solved v Senegal?

Post by Enugu II »

Coach Gernot Rohr stated at the end of the Senegal game "I am satisfied with our whole attitude and the fact that after going down by a goal, we were mentally strong enough to come back and eventually ended the match on a high note." He went on to list the players that were absent and to talk about playing the game with players who are not getting enough playing time at their clubs. Rohr's assessment, noted above, spoke volumes. No where did he speak about the team improving nor did he state that he has found solutions to the problems the team had.
Though Balogun was the worst of them, the fact is that the others hardly distinguished themselves. Omeruo appeared a possible consideration for right back in the future but his late tackles led to two free kicks and on the left Echiejile was beaten for speed in a one on one encounter that earned him a caution. It was just a bad night for the defense.
For details, click on link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2017/03/w ... negal.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Gadfly
Egg
Egg
Re: Were Nigeria's Problems Solved v Senegal?

Post by Gadfly »

Nope! I didn't see any communication and coordination between the Defence and Midfield. It was in shambles.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

It's the first friendly game for crying out loud.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Also what was Iwobi's role on the pitch? As an outlet or asked to do whatever he wanted?
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

This match did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

Didn't expect the team to look amateurish regardless of playing conditions or 4 months of no play together.

Would this team have won the AFCON as people were saying?

Are we ready to take on Cameroon?
Last edited by Robotnik on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Gadfly wrote:Also what was Iwobi's role on the pitch? As an outlet or asked to do whatever he wanted?

Iwobi is being undone by the lack of discipline/structure by Arsenal/Wenger.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
Coach Gernot Rohr stated at the end of the Senegal game "I am satisfied with our whole attitude and the fact that after going down by a goal, we were mentally strong enough to come back and eventually ended the match on a high note." He went on to list the players that were absent and to talk about playing the game with players who are not getting enough playing time at their clubs. Rohr's assessment, noted above, spoke volumes. No where did he speak about the team improving nor did he state that he has found solutions to the problems the team had.
What problems did Rohr say the team have that he was trying to solve with one friendly against a low to mid level African team?

As far as I am concerned the friendly more than achieved its purpose. Success and Kayode were introduced to the team and the showed promise (no pun intended).
Last edited by 1naija on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

Robotnik wrote:This match did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

Didn't expect the team to look amateurish regardless of playing conditions or 4 months of no play together.

Relax..it was only a friendly with a sprinking of debutants at that...for a team that didn't even make the Afcon, they definitely didn't do that badly against one of the best teams in Africa at the moment, Senegal with all their star players didn't play any better either, for me the friendly achieved the purpose of knowing our options in attack with the the introduction of Isaac and Kayode...this team will definitely beat Cameroon(give me one good reason why Cameroon is better than the SE)...all we need is Victor Moses and Mikel to return and we are set.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Robotnik wrote:This match did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

Non of the African teams that played the last few days would have won AFCON. If u think our game was bad you should watch Tunisia vs cameroun.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ogasir
Egg
Egg

Post by ogasir »

Etebo should take Iwobi's place against Cameroon. He is physically suited for it
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

To be honest their performances were not impressive. It seems most of the players have regressed . Ihenacho is no longer prolific scorer and absolutely confused and unaware of the position he is suppose to play. Balogun has become a different player from the last time I saw him with the SE. Moses Simon, Echejile, Musa even Omeuro do not instill any sort of confidence to indicate they belong to SE. Iwobi has a complex problem honestly I can not define what his problem maybe lack of interest, tepid ,lack of concentration, lackadaisical and laziness. Execution of their game plan was obviously desultory. To be honest the only player I was a little bit impressed with his performance is Ekong. The rest of the team have questionable performances. The goalkeeper is as bad as they come. His goalkeeping skill is absolutely atrocious . The Olympics goalkeeper needs to be tried he definitely instills more confidence than Akpeyi whatever his name is.
In conclusion I think the presence of Milkel is still highly needed to create a ballast for the team. Also Victor Moses is also needed for coordinated attack
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

bully12 wrote:To be honest their performances were not impressive. It seems most of the players have regressed . Ihenacho is no longer prolific scorer and absolutely confused and unaware of the position he is suppose to play. Balogun has become a different player from the last time I saw him with the SE. Moses Simon, Echejile, Musa even Omeuro do not instill any sort of confidence to indicate they belong to SE. Iwobi has a complex problem honestly I can not define what his problem maybe lack of interest, tepid ,lack of concentration, lackadaisical and laziness. Execution of their game plan was obviously desultory. To be honest the only player I was a little bit impressed with his performance is Ekong. The rest of the team have questionable performances. The goalkeeper is as bad as they come. His goalkeeping skill is absolutely atrocious . The Olympics goalkeeper needs to be tried he definitely instills more confidence than Akpeyi whatever his name is.
In conclusion I think the presence of Milkel is still highly needed to create a ballast for the team. Also Victor Moses is also needed for coordinated attack
All this power point presentation analysis deduced from just one friendly game...okay we've seen it all.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

bully12 wrote:To be honest their performances were not impressive. It seems most of the players have regressed . Ihenacho is no longer prolific scorer and absolutely confused and unaware of the position he is suppose to play. Balogun has become a different player from the last time I saw him with the SE. Moses Simon, Echejile, Musa even Omeuro do not instill any sort of confidence to indicate they belong to SE. Iwobi has a complex problem honestly I can not define what his problem maybe lack of interest, tepid ,lack of concentration, lackadaisical and laziness. Execution of their game plan was obviously desultory. To be honest the only player I was a little bit impressed with his performance is Ekong. The rest of the team have questionable performances. The goalkeeper is as bad as they come. His goalkeeping skill is absolutely atrocious . The Olympics goalkeeper needs to be tried he definitely instills more confidence than Akpeyi whatever his name is.

Bia Bambully, how many odeku you take for Safari today wey you write gibberish sotaaay come add "in conclusion"?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigeria plays one friendly and the experts are squawking,in 2013 before Nigeria won the Afcon they drew their first two games by then many said "it's over",I can't take anyone seriously even the footballing pastors who swear to know the future!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Hard to assess and answer your question E11 based on this one game. Had the match against the Burkinabes not been cancelled we would have been in a better position to judge. For instance, if the negatives observed in this game were also seen against Burkina Faso, then it would be a cause for concern. For now though there are a few things that we can say:

1. It will be very important for our key players to get playing time at their clubsides ahead of our next game in June (ANC qualifier vs South Africa).

2. We may need more than the customary one week preparation and perhaps a friendly match to be sure that we're adequately prepared.

3. A friendly would help in sorting out one or two things prior to playing South Africa.

4. Finding a proper RB will be important as it allows Kenneth Omeruo to move back to his proper position.

5. If Leon Balogun is still struggling to get minutes at Mainz, or if there is an injury at the position then Omeruo will be needed at Centreback. We can't keep trying to get by with him at RB and must take a chance on one of our emerging youngsters. Either that or revert back to Shehu if Rohr doesn't deem them ready.

6. Rohr will definitely need to be more aggressive in looking for alternatives in goal for Nigeria. Fine he's still working on Enyeama but we also need to be looking at our young goalkeepers.

7. I think that our midfield is just fine and we only need to figure out what combinations work the best.

8. Ditto for the attack. Iheanacho is miles ahead of anyone else at the moment and Victor Moses is entrenched as one of our Wings. Who starts on the other wing and who backs up Iheanacho are the questions.

9. Opposite Victor Moses each potential option has question marks. Musa would be perfect if he weren't so inconsistent. Ditto for Moses Simon who is still growing into a reliable international. Iwobi is more of a playmaker, while Etebo might be needed more in the middle. Which leaves us with Isaac Success (who would be my choice) but Isaac has got to prove that he will not fall asleep defensively.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

I think folks are over analyzing the game here. This is Rohr's first non competitive match and it gave him a chance to experiment, observe a few things and try options. We have a standing team and it's not by fluke that we are sitting top of our qualifying group..

A few valuable lessons can be drawn from the game. Our central pairing are lacking playing time, so it was a good opportunity to give them a run out. Ighalo has been misfiring for a while, Rohr can now see what Success and Kayode can do. If it wasn't clear before, its pretty much certain now that Ikpeyi is not the real deal. It now very unlikely that Iwobi will start against Cameroun. Rohr once again saw our fighting spirit and knows the players that can be relied upon under pressure. Frankly I was expecting a draw at best and against Africa's number one team the boys did ok..
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mr Shows wrote:I think folks are over analyzing the game here. This is Rohr's first non competitive match and it gave him a chance to experiment, observe a few things and try options. We have a standing team and it's not by fluke that we are sitting top of our qualifying group..

A few valuable lessons can be drawn from the game. Our central pairing are lacking playing time, so it was a good opportunity to give them a run out. Ighalo has been misfiring for a while, Rohr can now see what Success and Kayode can do. If it wasn't clear before, its pretty much certain now that Ikpeyi is not the real deal. It now very unlikely that Iwobi will start against Cameroun. Rohr once again saw our fighting spirit and knows the players that can be relied upon under pressure. Frankly I was expecting a draw at best and against Africa's number one team the boys did ok..
Mr. Shows,

You start off by stating the game is being over-analyzed but then proceed to do the same kind of analysis. :lol: In any case, I am with you on certain points that you raised and generally have no opposing view.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mystic,

I only have a few comments but I also agree with some of your observations and thinking. My comments are in red.
mystic wrote:Hard to assess and answer your question E11 based on this one game. Had the match against the Burkinabes not been cancelled we would have been in a better position to judge. For instance, if the negatives observed in this game were also seen against Burkina Faso, then it would be a cause for concern. For now though there are a few things that we can say:

1. It will be very important for our key players to get playing time at their clubsides ahead of our next game in June (ANC qualifier vs South Africa).

2. We may need more than the customary one week preparation and perhaps a friendly match to be sure that we're adequately prepared. TBH, I am surprised that Nigeria currently has nothing planned. Yes, I understand that the FIFA window is used for the ANCQ v South Africa but it is a one week window which means a game could be played preferably before the South African game or after it. Moreover, because it is a vacation or offseason period for the leagues in Europe, Nigeria could schedule a game during the summer months just as Ghana v Mexico has been scheduled in the summer but outside the FIFA window.

3. A friendly would help in sorting out one or two things prior to playing South Africa.

4. Finding a proper RB will be important as it allows Kenneth Omeruo to move back to his proper position.This is challenging as Rohr just does not seem to believe in Shehu's game. Omeruo is just adequate at RB but he is a huge non-factor going forward and he is quite late in his tackling. He reminds me of Onyekachi Apam's tackling (lounging and late). I know it isn't popular to speak of Apam in those words but that is my assessment of his play and the cards he accumulated in his days.

5. If Leon Balogun is still struggling to get minutes at Mainz, or if there is an injury at the position then Omeruo will be needed at Centreback. We can't keep trying to get by with him at RB and must take a chance on one of our emerging youngsters. Either that or revert back to Shehu if Rohr doesn't deem them ready. I do not believe that Rohr rates Shehu high enough.

6. Rohr will definitely need to be more aggressive in looking for alternatives in goal for Nigeria. Fine he's still working on Enyeama but we also need to be looking at our young goalkeepers.

7. I think that our midfield is just fine and we only need to figure out what combinations work the best.

8. Ditto for the attack. Iheanacho is miles ahead of anyone else at the moment and Victor Moses is entrenched as one of our Wings. Who starts on the other wing and who backs up Iheanacho are the questions.

9. Opposite Victor Moses each potential option has question marks. Musa would be perfect if he weren't so inconsistent. Ditto for Moses Simon who is still growing into a reliable international. Iwobi is more of a playmaker, while Etebo might be needed more in the middle. Which leaves us with Isaac Success (who would be my choice) but Isaac has got to prove that he will not fall asleep defensively.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

mystic wrote:Ditto for the attack. Iheanacho is miles ahead of anyone else at the moment and Victor Moses is entrenched as one of our Wings. Who starts on the other wing and who backs up Iheanacho are the questions.
Yes, though I don't think he's well suited for the sole striker role....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

One additional overall note - the SE struggled in the match against a Senegal team that was pressing them and pressing high. Against a team that does not press as much, they may do better. The SE were also physically out muscled. On a number of occasions Iheanacho was simply toughed off the ball. Even Issac Success was bullied though he would draw the foul.
mystic wrote:Hard to assess and answer your question E11 based on this one game. Had the match against the Burkinabes not been cancelled we would have been in a better position to judge. For instance, if the negatives observed in this game were also seen against Burkina Faso, then it would be a cause for concern. For now though there are a few things that we can say:

2. We may need more than the customary one week preparation and perhaps a friendly match to be sure that we're adequately prepared.

4. Finding a proper RB will be important as it allows Kenneth Omeruo to move back to his proper position.

5. If Leon Balogun is still struggling to get minutes at Mainz, or if there is an injury at the position then Omeruo will be needed at Centreback. We can't keep trying to get by with him at RB and must take a chance on one of our emerging youngsters. Either that or revert back to Shehu if Rohr doesn't deem them ready.

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Yes but the pressing from the Senegalese wasn't followed through with Kante or Ndidi-esque tackles.

They just pressed to no end most of the time and were mostly flattering to deceive. Most of the time that we lost the ball was UNFORCED.

Iwobi playing the ball to a player in white, with the Nigeria player shrugged off, or someone like Balogun playing it short!

It's one thing if the Senegalese were good at interceptions or tackles, but they weren't! We simply panicked every time, even though we had enough space to pick a pass!

but perhaps the lions knew that, they only did what they had to. They knew we were very jittery, they pressed all the players that were uncomfortable. We cannot make such unforced errors again! It was like we wanted to lose the game.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

One refereshing thing to see is that we tried to play the ball on the ground quite a bit and work our way out of the press by passing. They also moved well off the ball for the most part. They overdid it at times and were caught out by making silly passes in the back, but i will take it ANYDAY over the anywhere belle face boot the ball that we have experienced in the past.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

metalalloy wrote:One refereshing thing to see is that we tried to play the ball on the ground quite a bit and work our way out of the press by passing. They also moved well off the ball for the most part. They overdid it at times and were caught out by making silly passes in the back, but i will take it ANYDAY over the anywhere belle face boot the ball that we have experienced in the past.
Yes the ideas were not bad, it was the execution that was lacking.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT