Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 am
Posts: 5940
Location: Canada
RIP

_________________
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 27346
RIP Coach....

_________________
#BRINGBACKALLOURGIRLS#


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am
Posts: 9249
RIP Coach !

_________________
Check out Sooting's website:
http://www.3sc.com.ng


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:27 pm
Posts: 5038
RIP Coach. I knew his family very well as his wife had an eatery at Barracks Surulere. He had been ill for a while. May he rest in peace.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 19176
Location: Planet Earth
Nigeria, a country that neglects heroes and celebrates thieves and sycophants!! Another sporting hero gone I bet with hardly any support or recognition from the country he served admirably well.

Rest in peace Coach Paul Hamilton. May God comfort your loved ones!

_________________
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:35 pm
Posts: 46157
RIP. :( :(

_________________
“In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. But in a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm
Posts: 9347
Location: seattle
Lets be serious for a second here; fact is if only a quarter of you guys that went studies abroad give up your European/American/ Australian/ artificial state of well being and went home for temporary hardship or long term hardship in exchange for the good of follow-up generations we would not be where we are today. That's what Chinese students did in the 80's. Every Chinese student I finished bachelors degree with went home.

_________________
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 33120
Location: Land of the Terrapins
RIP Coach!

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:37 pm
Posts: 1418
Location: UK
RIP Coach - I remember the disrespect the FA showed the man by bringinga Mr Westerhof prior to the final Italia 90 qualifier. I also remember how a certain Manfred Horner was brought out of no where prior to Maroc 88 despite your prior work. I also remember your Flying Eagles team of Moscow 85
A gentle unassuming man but a patriot nonetheless. Sleep well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:27 am
Posts: 436
Location: Calgary,Canada. London,UK
RIP Coach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:14 pm
Posts: 7044
We've lost another great Nigerian soul.

RIP.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 36875
The Wonder Man Goes Home...
The passing of Coach Paul Hamilton is saddening. He died in bits, a leg was amputated to save him. He died. I wonder what passed his mind as he withered.
In Nigeria, fame is inadequate to cater for you. Patriotism is a myth. The pioneer coach of Nigeria's female football team in 1991, after the failed bid for a 1990 World Cup, Hamilton was unsung in his dying days.
A thorough look at the books would place him among the many coaches the Nigeria Football Association used, dumped, and refused to pay their entitlement. He served Nigeria, Nigeria shunned him.
On the night of 12 August 1989, I drove in a daze from the National Stadium to the mortuary of the General Hospital, Lagos, cutting through Apapa to the Durbar Hotel, in Festac, as it was known then to meet coach Hamilton in tears - Sam Okwaraji was dead. I knew more than two hours earlier, but I wanted to get as many sides of that story as possible.
Beside Hamilton was a meal he ordered, obviously before he heard, it was untouched. I didn't say a word to him, it was not a day for words. I saw enough to enter another confirmation to a sad day.
Weeks after, the determination to beat Cameroon was shattered in the most bizarre manner, not on the pitch. Hamilton was told Clemence Westerhof was the new coach.
I rode in the same bus with a nervous Westerhof who pelted drums of the supporters club to calm his nerves. It was a tense drive from L'Hotel de Meridien to the Stade d' Omnisport, where the Eagles lost.
When I ask Hamilton what happened, he told me, "Dianyi nmuo ereghi ihe enyere ya." Loosely translated, the spirit rejected our offering, our best wasn't good enough. His fluency in Igbo was first grade, some of his years were in Onitsha.
Many would not know that Hamilton was a key player, he scored, in the 1968 Olympic team that terrorised Brazil to a 3-3 draw in the tasking altitude of Mexico. Nigeria led 3-0 in the first half.
At what would have been a historic recap of the event, 20 years on, Nigeria was paired against Brazil at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. I had done a preview predicting a possible repeat.
You can only imagine the anticipations when the first half ended goalless. Mexico was on my mind, a win was even possible. Some of our foreign colleagues were lining up for our perspectives to the story. I was waving a story around Nigeria at the Olympian apex, apogee, peak, zenith.
In the next 45 minutes, Brazil made the score 4-0. The biggest story in the international media was how Nigerian journalists wanted to beat up Manfred Horner, the German coach who superintended the smashing of the Eagles.
Adieu Wonder Boy, generations of top Nigerian players owe their career to you. One of them Emeka Ezeugo has paid a tribute that many others owe you.
The Wonder Boy, the Wonder Man, goes home leaving us to ponder and wonder why our football is in a wander.
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.

_________________
Image
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 14880
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
oloye wrote:
The Wonder Man Goes Home...
The passing of Coach Paul Hamilton is saddening. He died in bits, a leg was amputated to save him. He died. I wonder what passed his mind as he withered.
In Nigeria, fame is inadequate to cater for you. Patriotism is a myth. The pioneer coach of Nigeria's female football team in 1991, after the failed bid for a 1990 World Cup, Hamilton was unsung in his dying days.
A thorough look at the books would place him among the many coaches the Nigeria Football Association used, dumped, and refused to pay their entitlement. He served Nigeria, Nigeria shunned him.
On the night of 12 August 1989, I drove in a daze from the National Stadium to the mortuary of the General Hospital, Lagos, cutting through Apapa to the Durbar Hotel, in Festac, as it was known then to meet coach Hamilton in tears - Sam Okwaraji was dead. I knew more than two hours earlier, but I wanted to get as many sides of that story as possible.
Beside Hamilton was a meal he ordered, obviously before he heard, it was untouched. I didn't say a word to him, it was not a day for words. I saw enough to enter another confirmation to a sad day.
Weeks after, the determination to beat Cameroon was shattered in the most bizarre manner, not on the pitch. Hamilton was told Clemence Westerhof was the new coach.
I rode in the same bus with a nervous Westerhof who pelted drums of the supporters club to calm his nerves. It was a tense drive from L'Hotel de Meridien to the Stade d' Omnisport, where the Eagles lost.
When I ask Hamilton what happened, he told me, "Dianyi nmuo ereghi ihe enyere ya." Loosely translated, the spirit rejected our offering, our best wasn't good enough. His fluency in Igbo was first grade, some of his years were in Onitsha.
Many would not know that Hamilton was a key player, he scored, in the 1968 Olympic team that terrorised Brazil to a 3-3 draw in the tasking altitude of Mexico. Nigeria led 3-0 in the first half.
At what would have been a historic recap of the event, 20 years on, Nigeria was paired against Brazil at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. I had done a preview predicting a possible repeat.
You can only imagine the anticipations when the first half ended goalless. Mexico was on my mind, a win was even possible. Some of our foreign colleagues were lining up for our perspectives to the story. I was waving a story around Nigeria at the Olympian apex, apogee, peak, zenith.
In the next 45 minutes, Brazil made the score 4-0. The biggest story in the international media was how Nigerian journalists wanted to beat up Manfred Horner, the German coach who superintended the smashing of the Eagles.
Adieu Wonder Boy, generations of top Nigerian players owe their career to you. One of them Emeka Ezeugo has paid a tribute that many others owe you.
The Wonder Boy, the Wonder Man, goes home leaving us to ponder and wonder why our football is in a wander.
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.


What a wonderful tribute from Isiguzo. Oloye, the guy is right that Hamilton could speak Igbo. His career started with Onitsha whom he represented in the Challenge Cup before being recruited by ECN Lagos, I believe. I spent significant time with him at the National Stadium Surulere as I was writing a book. He spoke on the women NT and then about the 1968 Olympics where fondly told the story of his team mate Joe Aghoghovia (Police) who apparently could take violent shots and scored a hat trick or perhaps 4 goals in the walloping of Thailand during a preparatory game before the 1968 Olympics.

_________________
Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines
how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 36875
Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:
The Wonder Man Goes Home...
The passing of Coach Paul Hamilton is saddening. He died in bits, a leg was amputated to save him. He died. I wonder what passed his mind as he withered.
In Nigeria, fame is inadequate to cater for you. Patriotism is a myth. The pioneer coach of Nigeria's female football team in 1991, after the failed bid for a 1990 World Cup, Hamilton was unsung in his dying days.
A thorough look at the books would place him among the many coaches the Nigeria Football Association used, dumped, and refused to pay their entitlement. He served Nigeria, Nigeria shunned him.
On the night of 12 August 1989, I drove in a daze from the National Stadium to the mortuary of the General Hospital, Lagos, cutting through Apapa to the Durbar Hotel, in Festac, as it was known then to meet coach Hamilton in tears - Sam Okwaraji was dead. I knew more than two hours earlier, but I wanted to get as many sides of that story as possible.
Beside Hamilton was a meal he ordered, obviously before he heard, it was untouched. I didn't say a word to him, it was not a day for words. I saw enough to enter another confirmation to a sad day.
Weeks after, the determination to beat Cameroon was shattered in the most bizarre manner, not on the pitch. Hamilton was told Clemence Westerhof was the new coach.
I rode in the same bus with a nervous Westerhof who pelted drums of the supporters club to calm his nerves. It was a tense drive from L'Hotel de Meridien to the Stade d' Omnisport, where the Eagles lost.
When I ask Hamilton what happened, he told me, "Dianyi nmuo ereghi ihe enyere ya." Loosely translated, the spirit rejected our offering, our best wasn't good enough. His fluency in Igbo was first grade, some of his years were in Onitsha.
Many would not know that Hamilton was a key player, he scored, in the 1968 Olympic team that terrorised Brazil to a 3-3 draw in the tasking altitude of Mexico. Nigeria led 3-0 in the first half.
At what would have been a historic recap of the event, 20 years on, Nigeria was paired against Brazil at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. I had done a preview predicting a possible repeat.
You can only imagine the anticipations when the first half ended goalless. Mexico was on my mind, a win was even possible. Some of our foreign colleagues were lining up for our perspectives to the story. I was waving a story around Nigeria at the Olympian apex, apogee, peak, zenith.
In the next 45 minutes, Brazil made the score 4-0. The biggest story in the international media was how Nigerian journalists wanted to beat up Manfred Horner, the German coach who superintended the smashing of the Eagles.
Adieu Wonder Boy, generations of top Nigerian players owe their career to you. One of them Emeka Ezeugo has paid a tribute that many others owe you.
The Wonder Boy, the Wonder Man, goes home leaving us to ponder and wonder why our football is in a wander.
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.


What a wonderful tribute from Isiguzo. Oloye, the guy is right that Hamilton could speak Igbo. His career started with Onitsha whom he represented in the Challenge Cup before being recruited by ECN Lagos, I believe. I spent significant time with him at the National Stadium Surulere as I was writing a book. He spoke on the women NT and then about the 1968 Olympics where fondly told the story of his team mate Joe Aghoghovia (Police) who apparently could take violent shots and scored a hat trick or perhaps 4 goals in the walloping of Thailand during a preparatory game before the 1968 Olympics.

Violent shots like Thunder Balogun :D :thumbs:

_________________
Image
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 am
Posts: 14880
Location: Super Eagles Homeland
Oloye,

Na real shot oo! As Hamilton described it, the Nigerian guys were laughing as the Thai goalie yelled at his defenders whenever Aghoghovia set up for a shot.

oloye wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:
The Wonder Man Goes Home...
The passing of Coach Paul Hamilton is saddening. He died in bits, a leg was amputated to save him. He died. I wonder what passed his mind as he withered.
In Nigeria, fame is inadequate to cater for you. Patriotism is a myth. The pioneer coach of Nigeria's female football team in 1991, after the failed bid for a 1990 World Cup, Hamilton was unsung in his dying days.
A thorough look at the books would place him among the many coaches the Nigeria Football Association used, dumped, and refused to pay their entitlement. He served Nigeria, Nigeria shunned him.
On the night of 12 August 1989, I drove in a daze from the National Stadium to the mortuary of the General Hospital, Lagos, cutting through Apapa to the Durbar Hotel, in Festac, as it was known then to meet coach Hamilton in tears - Sam Okwaraji was dead. I knew more than two hours earlier, but I wanted to get as many sides of that story as possible.
Beside Hamilton was a meal he ordered, obviously before he heard, it was untouched. I didn't say a word to him, it was not a day for words. I saw enough to enter another confirmation to a sad day.
Weeks after, the determination to beat Cameroon was shattered in the most bizarre manner, not on the pitch. Hamilton was told Clemence Westerhof was the new coach.
I rode in the same bus with a nervous Westerhof who pelted drums of the supporters club to calm his nerves. It was a tense drive from L'Hotel de Meridien to the Stade d' Omnisport, where the Eagles lost.
When I ask Hamilton what happened, he told me, "Dianyi nmuo ereghi ihe enyere ya." Loosely translated, the spirit rejected our offering, our best wasn't good enough. His fluency in Igbo was first grade, some of his years were in Onitsha.
Many would not know that Hamilton was a key player, he scored, in the 1968 Olympic team that terrorised Brazil to a 3-3 draw in the tasking altitude of Mexico. Nigeria led 3-0 in the first half.
At what would have been a historic recap of the event, 20 years on, Nigeria was paired against Brazil at the Seoul Olympics in 1988. I had done a preview predicting a possible repeat.
You can only imagine the anticipations when the first half ended goalless. Mexico was on my mind, a win was even possible. Some of our foreign colleagues were lining up for our perspectives to the story. I was waving a story around Nigeria at the Olympian apex, apogee, peak, zenith.
In the next 45 minutes, Brazil made the score 4-0. The biggest story in the international media was how Nigerian journalists wanted to beat up Manfred Horner, the German coach who superintended the smashing of the Eagles.
Adieu Wonder Boy, generations of top Nigerian players owe their career to you. One of them Emeka Ezeugo has paid a tribute that many others owe you.
The Wonder Boy, the Wonder Man, goes home leaving us to ponder and wonder why our football is in a wander.
By Ikeddy Isiguzo.


What a wonderful tribute from Isiguzo. Oloye, the guy is right that Hamilton could speak Igbo. His career started with Onitsha whom he represented in the Challenge Cup before being recruited by ECN Lagos, I believe. I spent significant time with him at the National Stadium Surulere as I was writing a book. He spoke on the women NT and then about the 1968 Olympics where fondly told the story of his team mate Joe Aghoghovia (Police) who apparently could take violent shots and scored a hat trick or perhaps 4 goals in the walloping of Thailand during a preparatory game before the 1968 Olympics.

Violent shots like Thunder Balogun :D :thumbs:

_________________
Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines
how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.


Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 73222
Location: Earth
RIP

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:31 pm
Posts: 4714
Location: The Niger Delta
RIP Gentleman Paul Hamilton. You left your imprint on Nigerian football as a great international player and coach.

_________________
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 38966
RIP

_________________
Image

The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:42 pm
Posts: 6238
Location: US
May he rest in peace in the bosom of our Lord.

_________________
Image

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 pm
Posts: 26858
Whaaattt?????? Had been wondering about him over the yrs. Rip to a great man.

_________________
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:43 pm
Posts: 18206
Location: Amuwo Odofin
What a dangerous job.

R.I.P

_________________
A friend to Dr Randy Ogbunigwe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:23 pm
Posts: 4658
RIP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:47 pm
Posts: 40796
Location: Akoko Highlands
RIP.

_________________
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: azuka, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], ohsee, oyek and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group