Left Back is SE's weakest position

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sheikh
Egg
Egg
Left Back is SE's weakest position

Post by Sheikh »

Rohr seems to be concentrating on the RB position, and should now be able to have adequate cover in Omeruo, Ebuehi and possibly Nura Abdullahi. But our weakest position is at LB, and it has been so for quite a long time. This weakness also makes the centre backs quite vulnerable (so that the left side central defense - Oboabona etc have often been unduly stretched). Echiejile puts in a good effort, but he is not the answer. It seems his clubs are similarly not convinced as he has not been able to gain a stable place at any one of them - this weekend he was not even on the bench for Gijon. Amuzie and Madu do not meet the mark. The LB position is the one glaring gap and achilles heel, and is where the coaching staff should concentrate its efforts.
Chimex101
Egg
Egg
Re: Left Back is SE's weakest position

Post by Chimex101 »

Sheikh wrote:Rohr seems to be concentrating on the RB position, and should now be able to have adequate cover in Omeruo, Ebuehi and possibly Nura Abdullahi. But our weakest position is at LB, and it has been so for quite a long time. This weakness also makes the centre backs quite vulnerable (so that the left side central defense - Oboabona etc have often been unduly stretched). Echiejile puts in a good effort, but he is not the answer. It seems his clubs are similarly not convinced as he has not been able to gain a stable place at any one of them - this weekend he was not even on the bench for Gijon. Amuzie and Madu do not meet the mark. The LB position is the one glaring gap and achilles heel, and is where the coaching staff should concentrate its efforts.
Aina seems likely to seal that LB spot since he has declared his interest to play for Nigeria, there is another lad Kingsley Ehizibue (plays in the Eredevisie, same league with Ebuehi) whom according to reports has also declared for Nigeria, he is a versatile player who can play the RB, LB, and even RWB! Then there is Tourunanigha that plays for Hertha Berlin..another very solid prospect for the LB...I'm actually keeping a tab on this guys.
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

Chimex101 wrote:
Sheikh wrote:Rohr seems to be concentrating on the RB position, and should now be able to have adequate cover in Omeruo, Ebuehi and possibly Nura Abdullahi. But our weakest position is at LB, and it has been so for quite a long time. This weakness also makes the centre backs quite vulnerable (so that the left side central defense - Oboabona etc have often been unduly stretched). Echiejile puts in a good effort, but he is not the answer. It seems his clubs are similarly not convinced as he has not been able to gain a stable place at any one of them - this weekend he was not even on the bench for Gijon. Amuzie and Madu do not meet the mark. The LB position is the one glaring gap and achilles heel, and is where the coaching staff should concentrate its efforts.
Aina seems likely to seal that LB spot since he has declared his interest to play for Nigeria, there is another lad Kingsley Ehizibue (plays in the Eredevisie, same league with Ebuehi) whom according to reports has also declared for Nigeria, he is a versatile player who can play the RB, LB, and even RWB! Then there is Tourunanigha that plays for Hertha Berlin..another very solid prospect for the LB...I'm actually keeping a tab on this guys.
I can only hope Rohr is doing the same. I am not sure he is, as he seems to be relying solely on Echiejile. Echiejile is competent when he is with the ball, and can tackle when directly faced with an opponent. He therefore gives the impression of being solid, but the big weakness is what he does not do when he is not with the ball (space marking and positioning) and Rohr may not have noticed this. With all other positions now being filled by top class players, bar the LB, there is an uneven balance and lopsidedness about this team which could hurt us very badly if not addressed,
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

RB is our weakest position.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Look people, whatever it is that u think you know about the team is not even a thousandth of what ROHR knows. Just keep watching on tv and let him continue doing his thing.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

We have three weak positions:

Right back
Leftback
Playmaker
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:We have three weak positions:

Right back
Leftback
Playmaker
Right and left back are work in progress with potential prospects-
Playmaker - no hope or prospects inline before 2018 Wcup
Goalkeeper - Minus Ikeme - very very weak
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

I agree and left back is more of a worry for me too but I think Rohr recognizes this also. He mentioned both full backs as problem positions and not just right back. It worries me to be honest. I have never been a fan of Echiejile even when he was playing regularly at Braga. He can't even make the bench these days for Gijon. Madu can't even get into the team at a modest club like Zulte Waregem and the only league match he started this season, he was really poor and they lost 4-0. Amuzie can't even make the Sampdoria bench even though they are allowed 11 players on the bench. I think it's time to convert one of our more attacking left footed wingers/midfielders to left back.
yes o
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

papilo wrote:
I agree and left back is more of a worry for me too but I think Rohr recognizes this also. He mentioned both full backs as problem positions and not just right back. It worries me to be honest. I have never been a fan of Echiejile even when he was playing regularly at Braga. He can't even make the bench these days for Gijon. Madu can't even get into the team at a modest club like Zulte Waregem and the only league match he started this season, he was really poor and they lost 4-0. Amuzie can't even make the Sampdoria bench even though they are allowed 11 players on the bench. I think it's time to convert one of our more attacking left footed wingers/midfielders to left back.
Or even try centre backs like Oboabona in that position. I feel Rohr is concentrating only on mitigating the RB situation; he has already tried 4 players (Musa Mohammed, Shehu, Ndidi and Omeruo) in that position and has been persuading Ebuehi, Aina and Idowu. I do not see any effort so far on the even weaker LB.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

It has been an issue for quite a while along with the RB position. Uwa is not a long term solution, but he is manageable for the time being.The way both CB repeatedly were pulled away from the middle (as evidenced over and over again in the Senegal game) is an issue.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Chimex101
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimex101 »

I seriously hope the likes of Ebuehi and Aina do well to seal those problematic spots while we await Odubanjo to recover and also Nura Abdullahi , once that is considerably covered...then we should be a complete team...and oh I forgot to mention that Shehu has played that RB role couple of times before and was by no means bad...maybe he can be tried there as well.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Iwobi is not physically strong enough to be our playmaker. Who fills the role oooooo?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Previously addressed. The only missing player is the new German kid, Ojokojo's son.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=275275&p=4888131&hi ... a#p4888131

We only need a left back.

Lots of options at the right with a soon to be fit Odubajo, Iorfa, Ola Aina & even Onuoha. We just need to decide on who we want to approach.

Even Ambrose is serviceable as a right full back. Balogun and Oboabona can also play there in addition to their Central roles.

I rate all these options above Shehu & Musa Mohammed.

The Left Back is the problem & in my opinion has been since Ben Iroha left (even Emenalo was part of the problem & Taye Taiwo was only good for a short time).

It hurts even more that the best Left full back in the world slipped right through our hands.

Over the last 5 years, Nwabili, Obanor, Madu, Oshaniwa, Amuzie, Benjamin Francis & others I may not remember remember have floated around Eldersen, but we've been unable to find stability in that position.

I would give Amuzie another shot, if it were up to me. He is fast, athletic, tackles well, tough to dribble & would be a good person to place on a Mahrez in our next game. The only fear is that he loses concentration and gets caught out of position.

I'll say something else (& it seems foolhardy to start an Ambrose campaign now), but Ambrose probably has had one of the best displays I have seen in this timeframe on the Left full back position for the Eagles. I can't recall the specific match where he was drafted to the left due to injury, but he did very well. He could be a useful squad member based on versatility. It probably won't happen anyway.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Sheikh wrote:
papilo wrote:
Or even try centre backs like Oboabona in that position. I feel Rohr is concentrating only on mitigating the RB situation; he has already tried 4 players (Musa Mohammed, Shehu, Ndidi and Omeruo) in that position and has been persuading Ebuehi, Aina and Idowu. I do not see any effort so far on the even weaker LB.
There aren't that many left footed defenders available to be honest. It is easier to convert a right footed center back to right back than converting a right footed center back to left back. If we had a left footed defender - even if he were a center back, Rohr would probably have considered it. I saw a guy - Felix Uduokhai - play on the left of a back 3 for 1860 Munich over the weekend. He is left footed and was solid in the game. This could be a long term option for Rohr at left back as he is just 19 years old.
yes o
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

truetalk wrote:Previously addressed. The only missing player is the new German kid, Ojokojo's son.

Lots of options at the right with a soon to be fit Odubajo, Iorfa, Ola Aina & even Onuoha. We just need to decide on who we want to approach.

Even Ambrose is serviceable as a right full back. Balogun and Oboabona can also play there in addition to their Central roles.

The Left Back is the problem & in my opinion has been since Ben Iroha left (even Emenalo was part of the problem & Taye Taiwo was only good for a short time).

It hurts even more that the best Left full back in the world slipped right through our hands.

Over the last 5 years, Nwabili, Obanor, Madu, Oshaniwa, Amuzie, Benjamin Francis & others I may not remember remember have floated around Eldersen, but we've been unable to find stability in that position.

I would give Amuzie another shot, if it were up to me. He is fast, athletic, tackles well, tough to dribble & would be a good person to place on a Mahrez in our next game. The only fear is that he loses concentration and gets caught out of position.

I'll say something else (& it seems foolhardy to start an Ambrose campaign now), but Ambrose probably has had one of the best displays I have seen in this timeframe on the Left full back position for the Eagles. I can't recall the specific match where he was drafted to the left due to injury, but he did very well. He could be a useful squad member based on versatility. It probably won't happen anyway.
It was against the USA in a friendly before the 2014 World Cup. Ambrose can play every position in defence and as a defensive midfielder.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Obong wrote:
truetalk wrote:Previously addressed. The only missing player is the new German kid, Ojokojo's son.

It was against the USA in a friendly before the 2014 World Cup. Ambrose can play every position in defence and as a defensive midfielder.
Thanks Obong. Meanwhile, I hope to land in Uyo next time the SE play there. I'll make you jealous of the jollof I'm getting from your hometown.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

papilo wrote:
Sheikh wrote:
papilo wrote:
There aren't that many left footed defenders available to be honest. It is easier to convert a right footed center back to right back than converting a right footed center back to left back. If we had a left footed defender - even if he were a center back, Rohr would probably have considered it. I saw a guy - Felix Uduokhai - play on the left of a back 3 for 1860 Munich over the weekend. He is left footed and was solid in the game. This could be a long term option for Rohr at left back as he is just 19 years old.

Thanks Papillo. I believe you are the 1st person to notify the forum of this kid. 19 years old & already settled into a Bundesliga 2 side that has some history. That is encouraging. He is also a big lad.

I've become aware of 2 LB prospects within a week after almost nothing for years. I feel like breakdancing.

We get 1 more solid keeper in the mix & the SE is all set.

Banana Banana & the Plantainians go hear am!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

truetalk wrote:
Obong wrote:

Thanks Obong. Meanwhile, I hope to land in Uyo next time the SE play there. I'll make you jealous of the jollof I'm getting from your hometown.
That should be the cracker against Cameroun in August (not yet clear where we'll host South Africa). You're welcome to a great reception and guaranteed victory. As jollof goes, I can confidently say that my jollof is better than yours!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...followed by RB.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Celestine Babayaro and Udeze were not bad left backs at their prime. Taye Twaiwo was more of pretender to that position just like Echejile is right now.
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Jordan Torunarigha played 90 minutes for Hertha BSC Berlin as left back today.
Does anybody know how he performed?
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

bully12 wrote:

Celestine Babayaro and Udeze were not bad left backs at their prime. Taye Twaiwo was more of pretender to that position just like Echejile is right now.
Missed out on Cele. He was really good for almost a decade, even with all the partying.

Ifeanyi Udeze, not so m
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

bully12 wrote:

Missed out on Cele. He was really good for, even though the partying shortened what should have been a really long career. Given how early he started, he should have had over 100 caps for Nigeria.

Ifeanyi Udeze, more like a placeholder for a couple of years. Manageable if there are no better options.