Should CAF scrapp CHAN?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Should CAF scrapp CHAN?

Post by Purity »

I understand the new CAF exco is planning to scrapp CHAN and make the AFCON every four years.. Do you think CAF should scrapp CHAN?
Last edited by Purity on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Should CAF scrapp CHAN?

Post by 1naija »

Purity wrote:I understand the new CAF exco is planning to scrapp CHAN and make the AFCON every four years.. Does You think CAF should scrapp CHAN?
How did you understand this?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Purity wrote:I understand the new CAF exco is planning to scrapp CHAN and make the AFCON every four years.. Does You think CAF should scrapp CHAN?
I am very open to the idea of scrapping CHAN. The initial question is.....what is the purpose of CHAN, what outcomes was CAF hoping to achieve that informed the set up of CHAN? Are those outcomes being met or not? How are the outcomes measured overtime and are the results telling us that CHAN is meeting the objectives that informed its formation ? My guess is no. (Keyword = guess)
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

icee wrote:
I am very open to the idea of scrapping CHAN. The initial question is.....what is the purpose of CHAN, what outcomes was CAF hoping to achieve that informed the set up of CHAN? Are those outcomes being met or not? How are the outcomes measured overtime and are the results telling us that CHAN is meeting the objectives that informed its formation ? My guess is no. (Keyword = guess)
Since the major African nations rely on European football clubs to develop their best players and hardly trust their own leagues I think the Chan was vey useful also what will the other African nations outside the 5 that qualify to the World Cup be doing for four years? In order for Africans to develop they need to understand what works for them!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

CHAN is the authentic Africa Cup. CAN is more or less a Euro tourney hosted in Africa. IMO, it should be held every four years as well as CAN but spaced 2 years in between. It must be retained.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

folem wrote:CHAN is the authentic Africa Cup. CAN is more or less a Euro tourney hosted in Africa. IMO, it should be held every four years as well as CAN but spaced 2 years in between. It must be retained.
so explain how Zambia/Egypt won it then... :roll:
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

No, I does not.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

I believe CHAN is necessary for the sake of the 'minnows'. Those guys pull out from most qualifiers knowing they won't win. The only avenue for their participation in international footie is through the regional/zonal qualifying series and possible qualification for CHAN.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
icee wrote:
Since the major African nations rely on European football clubs to develop their best players and hardly trust their own leagues I think the Chan was vey useful also what will the other African nations outside the 5 that qualify to the World Cup be doing for four years? In order for Africans to develop they need to understand what works for them!
CHAN was useful?? Again let's talk strictly about the outcomes of CHAN so far (not how cool the idea sounds). CHAN hasn't improved the value of our local based players. It adds cost and delivers zero outcomes - causing local FAs to put good money after bad. They should instead stregthen the African Club Champions league and make it more glamourous. Strengthen the critical few not throw in new programs upon new programs that are a weak replica of something we already have (Africa club champs league), and doesn't serve a good enough purpose.

Per what will the African nations that don't qualify for AFCON be doing for 4 years??? Again what has been the outcome of this 2 year cycle for CAF? certainly not to help African countries get farther at WC as the continents who are winning it have their continental championships once every 4 years. Again, what is the purpose ? the purpose cannot be to keep them "doing something"...there's enough to do..like let players build and deepen their club careers as their peers, prep properly for the WC and AFCON like continents that dominate the WC already do
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

anointed wrote:
No, I does not.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

I think the idea of CHAN is good, however like someone also mentioned, CAF should also focus on strengthening the African Champions League to make it more competitive. But again, that means the best clubs with the best financial resources will always participate. In my opinion, CAF should focus on marketing the CHAN and increase TV rights world wide by showcasing our best homebased talents. With the Champions League, it is only limited to the best clubs ind the continent. The argument for CHAN will be that players hat are not fortunate to be part of the team that represent in their team at the Champions league do not get the needed exposure. Thus they have the chance to be one of the best in their local leagues and as such can be selected to the CHAN team which gives them the needed exposure.

But again as we all know, when you are a good player in Africa, the European scouts quickly recruit you. That said, what CAF needs to focus on IMO is marketing CHAN like other confederations have been doing. I will really love for the day that I get to see our homebased players on the big sports networks like BEIN Sports, Fox Sports, ESPN and etc. To which Fox Sports already do with the FIFA World club tournament
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Error.. typing from an unfriendly device..
anointed wrote:
No, I does not.
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Contact(s) in Caf.. There is strong case to scrapp CHAN to improve AFCON.
1naija wrote:
How did you understand this?
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Rogermilla wrote:I think the idea of CHAN is good, however like someone also mentioned, CAF should also focus on strengthening the African Champions League to make it more competitive. Button again, that means the best clubs with the best financial resources will always participate. In my opinion, CAF should focus on marketing the CHAN and increase TV rights world wide by showcasing our best homebased talents. With the Champions League, it is only limited to the best clubs ind the continent. The argument for CHAN will be that players hat are not fortunate to be part of the team that represent in their team at the Champions league do not get the needed exposure. Thus they have the chance to be one of the best in their local leagues and as such can be selected to the CHAN team which gives them the needed exposure.

But again as we all know, when you are a good player in Africa, the European scouts quickly recruit you. That said, what CAF needs to focus on IMO is marketing CHAN like other confederations have been doing. I will really love for the day that I get to see our homebased players on the big sports networks like BEIN Sports, Fox Sports, ESPN and etc. To which Fox Sports already do with the FIFA World club tournament
CAFCL is beings strengthened. There is a larger competition from this year onwards with a bigger prize money. CHAN & other competitions are being marketed. There are confirmed regional slots for CHAN so that the two weakest regions in COSAFA & CECAFA are represented.

CHAN was created as a response to the desire to strengthen national competitions often weakened by the exodus of top players going to foreign teams that pay far more and have more media coverage.