[Europa] Man United (2-1) Anderlecht...[Oloye's Boy again]

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [Europa] Man United (2-1) Anderlecht...[Oloye's Boy agai

Post by danfo driver »

platinum wrote:
danfo driver wrote:I am sorry, am I reading right? are people saying they have never seen or heard of rabona before? :shock: :shock:

When Quaresma was doing Trivela and Rabona for fun every minute of every match more than 8 years ago, where were you guys?

Was it in the EPL? If not, why are you axing dis kain qweshon?
Na true! I apologize. :clap: :clap: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [Europa] Man United (2-1) Anderlecht...SEMI FINALS

Post by wiseone »

Benteke: you hit the nail on the head. Top level managers prefer steady and dependable players who don't do anything fancy, but will give you 7/10 every week (AKA Smith, Fellaini, Young), rather than brilliant but unpredictable talents who might score a "Worldie" but who might also stink up the joint by playing a dodgy back-pass that gives away a goal (AKA Depay, Martial, Shaw).

Phil Neville and Jose have both said that with Fellaini the manager knows what to expect because "he will do exactly what you tell him to do". Such players are in the pro game, nicknamed "manager's son" because of their fidelity to the boss' tactical instructions. You want a ball playing CM to play out of position as an auxiliary RB to man mark Hazard? "Yes boss". You want an AM to play as an auxiliary CD to help out his defence in the air? "Yes boss". You want a winger to play as a RB or LB? "Yes boss". AKA Smith, Fellaini, Young.

Here is what I said about Luke Shaw 2 years ago in his early days at Man Utd:
After the defeat against Swansea I think Luke Shaw's naivety and poor positional play slipped under the radar (because everyone was busy blaming Romero's "goalkeeping"). The ball should never have got to Romero if Shaw had been doing his job properly (AKA defending the left hand side of the pitch). It is pertinent that both Swansea goals were scored from attacks down Man Utd's exposed left flank after Shaw had been caught upfield playing like a left winger rather than a left back. On both occasions he was miles upfield and out of position and was ambling back with the urgency of a man walking his dog in the park on a leisurely Sunday morning.

His poor positional play caused Blind to come across and play as an auxiliary left back and that is what created the space in the center for the goals by Ayew and Gomis.

Shaw = great going forward but poor at his core job (defending). That is the bane of the modern full backs who focus so much on getting forward to support their attackers but sometimes forget that they are picked in the team to defend primarily (eg. Glen Johnson, Dani Alves). Full backs who are excellent defenders are surprisingly rare (e.g. Ivanovic, Azpilucueta, Darmian).
benteke wrote:
i still wonder what great managers like Van Gaal and Mourinho see in the guy.
Of course at times he shows glimpses of brilliance.
I suppose he follows managers tactics to the tee, unlike your Anthony Martial or Luke Shaw, after all i am no football manager and don't attend training sessions :biggrin:
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Rojo and Ibrahimovic out for the season? Is that right?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Yes. Both are out for the rest of the season with knee ligament injuries. Jones and Smalling are both also probably out for the season, and Mata (after surgery) will not be back until the end of the season.

Zlatan, Mark Red, Jones, Smalling, Mata all on the shelf. The only silver lining is that this will: (a) give Rashford a chance to play CF; and (b) give a chance to promising youth team defender Axel Tuanzebe.
bepanda wrote:Rojo and Ibrahimovic out for the season? Is that right?
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Is Ibra signed for next season? I thought he was on a 1 year deal.
Bepanda
wiseone wrote:Yes. Both are out for the rest of the season with knee ligament injuries. Jones and Smalling are both also probably out for the season, and Mata (after surgery) will not be back until the end of the season.
Zlatan, Mark Red, Jones, Smalling, Mata all on the shelf. The only silver lining is that this will: (a) give Rashford a chance to play CF; and (b) give a chance to promising youth team defender Axel Tuanzebe.
bepanda wrote:Rojo and Ibrahimovic out for the season? Is that right?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I will pay to watch how Felliani bring the ball down on his chest 9 out of 10 times especially in tight spaces, he might not be fancy or skillful, remember he is played out of position as well but he does have an important role to play in man united, something Mourinho definitely recognizes, we do have some dependable players like young, Felliani, Valencia, Zlatan being out might be a blessing in disguise for the likes of Rashford, he needs to play in his preferred position CF, last season he thrived in that position and is a very dangerous player, Martial has really disappointed this season, he has all the tools needed to make it at the highest level, as for Pogba, he needs another season to get up to speed with the intensity of the premiership, he has brilliant awareness on the ball, he can only get better, just hope we make to the champions league
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko