Bayern v Real: Article on Disgraceful Officiating........

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Bayern v Real: Article on Disgraceful Officiating........

Post by Enugu II »

InGoodConscience

Uefa can't be allowed to turn a blind eye to scandalous officiating
http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/footb ... ign=buffer
Rob Hughes
PUBLISHEDAPR 22, 2017, 5:00 AM SGT

The values of sport are darkened when we cannot trust in the integrity if what we see on the field.

If you believe that Real Madrid justly and fairly knocked Bayern Munich out of the Champions League quarter-finals this week, you are in a tiny minority.

The performance of referee Viktor Kassai was lamentable.

At best, the Hungarian made so many errors of judgment (and so many of them in Real Madrid's favour) that his credentials to take charge of matches of this consequence needs to be reassessed.

At worst, Kassai's actions should be scrutinised and, if found to be biased for whatever reason, he must be struck off the list of top class arbiters.

So far as we know, Uefa is not even investigating the issue. Nothing can be done if nothing is acknowledged to be wrong. What a pity we are in this conundrum.

Here was a game, in one of the world's most famed football cathedrals, the Bernabeu. Here was a contest that ought to be remembered for Cristiano Ronaldo becoming the first man in history to score 100 Champions League goals.

At worst, Kassai's actions should be scrutinised and, if found to be biased for whatever reason, he must be struck off the list of top class arbiters. So far as we know, Uefa is not even investigating the issue. Nothing can be done if nothing is acknowledged to be wrong.

His Real Madrid colleague Sergio Ramos on Tuesday joined an elite of players to appear 100 times in the tournament. And Real's adventurous Brazilian left back Marcelo played his 400th game for the club - and from the perspective of speed and energy and adventurous counter attacking, Marcelo can surely not have put in a better performance.

On the other side, Bayern's captain Philipp Lahm played his 112th, and last, Champions League game, and felt cheated.

Xabi Alonso, his team-mate who once played for Real Madrid, will also retire after this season. So Xabi and like Lahm, World Cup winners, depart the Champions League stage with rancour and injustice in their hearts.

This was a sad night at Estadio Bernabeu to be sure. It leaves Real to play Atletico Madrid in one semi-final, Monaco versus Juventus in the other.

Uefa wishes to move on without mentioning the calamity of refereeing. Bayern, and the rest of football, cannot.

"I have to say, I'm filled with unbelievable rage," Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Bayern's chairman, said at the post-game banquet for his team in Madrid.

"If we look at the entire game today, then I wonder: What do these associations actually do? We have six referees on the pitch, six referees! We have a yellow-red card that was not even a foul. We have two goals making the score 2-2 and then 3-2 that were offside and clearly offside."

He went on to say: "For the first time I have something like furious rage in me.

"Rage, because we were screwed over. We were screwed in the truest sense of the word."

There is some debate about the word "screwed". His actual word at the microphone was "beschissen" and it has cruder interpretations even than the word "shafted" that appeared in newspapers worldwide.

He is president of a club for which he won this tournament as a player. But he also chairs the European Club Association, which means he speaks for all major clubs, including Real, when negotiating regulatory matters with Fifa and Uefa.

He doesn't take losing in the best of spirits. He complained, bitterly, when Atletico Madrid eliminated Bayern from the Champions League last May, using the word "cheated".

On Tuesday, however, Rummenigge was far from the only embittered voice.

Michael Ballack, three times Germany's footballer of the year, tweeted: "Next Scandal!!! 1 metre offside. Is it actually a rematch now."

John Arne Riise, the former Liverpool and Roma and Norway full back, might be less partial.

"No red card. 2 goals offside! A referee decides who goes through," he tweeted. "A disgrace and this can't go on! We all make mistakes, but come on!!!!"

Inside the Bernabeu, the usually laconic Carlo Ancelotti who has coached Real and now Bayern, said: "The referee probably wasn't up to the task."

He arched that famous Ancelotti eyebrow when asked if there were more sinister things afoot.

"I don't think Real Madrid have any influence on referees," he answered. "The officials simply got it wrong. I had never been in favour of video technology, but I must admit it's necessary now."

Video assistant referees are on their way. Fifa president Gianni Infantino is pushing for key incidents - goals, red cards, mistaken identity and penalty awards - to be reviewed by action replays in time for the 2018 World Cup.

Real-Bayern crossed every boundary of that debate. But here's the irony: Kassai, a 41-year-old official who studied for his referee's badge at age 14, had been one of Fifa's most trusted arbiters.

He refereed the 2011 Champions League showpiece, Barcelona against Manchester United, at Wembley. And last year, he was the first ref to award a penalty on the basis of video playback during the Fifa Club World Cup in Japan.

Some of his mistakes on Tuesday should not have needed video correction. Two of Cristiano Ronaldo's three goals were so blatantly offside that derision, bordering on suspicion, went around the world.

Yet Champions League referees have not just their two eyes. They have radio contact with a linesman whose job it is to be in line with the action. And Uefa employs an additional assistant standing close to the goalmouth.

And all of those failed to see that Ronaldo was metres offside, not once but twice?

Higher up the ladder of responsibility is Pierluigi Collina, the Italian former referee who is now Uefa's chief refereeing officer. Above him stands Angel Maria Villar, who has run the Spanish FA for almost 30 years, and has led the Uefa referees committee for decades too.

Someone, somewhere, should surely find out what went wrong at the Bernabeu, and inform the public accordingly.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: Bayern v Real: Article on Disgraceful Officiating.......

Post by theDunamis »

"I don't think Real Madrid have any influence on referees," he answered. "The officials simply got it wrong. I had never been in favour of video technology, but I must admit it's necessary now."
I said exactly the same thing during the game. It is becoming criminal not to use video reviews for football. The old argument used to be that it won't be consistent because not all soccer games will have access to this technological "luxury". But that argument was and remains silly because not all soccer games have access to the most basic of tools for the game - good pitches. Let the top games set and raise the standards and the rest will follow.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Shameless Bayern should just STFU and crawl back to their 'Bayernliga'....................shameless buffoons that own the whole German refs, football radio and tv talking heads plus the German football football fed.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Did they complain, when Kos got red carded at the Emirates?
If they did, then I rest my case. If they didn't, then they should go back and fix it first.
No issues with referees when it benefits them. Complains when it hurts them.

Bepanda
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Look the point is not necessarily about Bayern. To focus on that is to miss the plot. The fact is that the refereeing was dreadful and UEFA needed to act. I support the use of video because such shoddy performance should never be acceptable.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...na today dem dey do disgraceful officiating or is just because the match involved 2 big clubs.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

What about the ref Barca vs psg?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

kajifu wrote:What about the ref Barca vs psg?
we are counting all these injustices, including the Koscielny and many others, it so happens that the Madrid Bayern one we said this is now too much.

The big picture here is that it's time for video reffing, and it must include off-sides, free kicks etc, too many clubs have suffered at crucial stages because of simple human error
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:
we are counting all these injustices, including the Koscielny and many others, it so happens that the Madrid Bayern one we said this is now too much.

The big picture here is that it's time for video reffing, and it must include off-sides, free kicks etc, too many clubs have suffered at crucial stages because of simple human error
Enugu II wrote:Look the point is not necessarily about Bayern. To focus on that is to miss the plot. The fact is that the refereeing was dreadful and UEFA needed to act. I support the use of video because such shoddy performance should never be acceptable.
:clap: :clap:

no mind the enemies of progress

it is not about bayern. it is about football.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Yet that Referee that officiated the match between Bafana and Senegal has been banned for life for similar offenses :(
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

akamoke wrote:Yet that Referee that officiated the match between Bafana and Senegal has been banned for life for similar offenses :(
no. stop spreading lies please

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

akamoke wrote:Yet that Referee that officiated the match between Bafana and Senegal has been banned for life for similar offenses :(
akamoke,

Why? the Bayern game na mistake but Bafana own na money wey I'm chop. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote:
benteke wrote:

Enugu II wrote:Look the point is not necessarily about Bayern. To focus on that is to miss the plot. The fact is that the refereeing was dreadful and UEFA needed to act. I support the use of video because such shoddy performance should never be acceptable.
:clap: :clap:

no mind the enemies of progress

it is not about bayern. it is about football.
we are together with arsenal fans as agents of EPL :taunt: , they were robbed in the 2006 final and with the RvP red card, we was robbed with Nani and many other times, but in this case of BAyern with Vidal we are fed up and now talking of the bigger picture, that PSG thing i didn't take very well to that.
We no longer want some football matches being decided by human error
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

mcal wrote:...na today dem dey do disgraceful officiating or is just because the match involved 2 big clubs.
Sometimes a clever thief with many years experience will get caught the day he tries to steal something too big to steal. This particular ref chose the wrong match to do ojoro.. He should be used as a scape goat for others....but theb i wont be surprised if like Ovrebo uefa apponts him to officiate the final.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Enugu II wrote:
akamoke,

Why? the Bayern game na mistake but Bafana own na money wey I'm chop. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I.May be wrong but I.haven't seen evidence anywhere of money changing hands
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

oloye wrote:
mcal wrote:...na today dem dey do disgraceful officiating or is just because the match involved 2 big clubs.
Sometimes a clever thief with many years experience will get caught the day he tries to steal something too big to steal. This particular ref chose the wrong match to do ojoro.. He should be used as a scape goat for others....but theb i wont be surprised if like Ovrebo uefa apponts him to officiate the final.

But such refs are not acting on their own over the years as UEFA just sweeps the issue of many bad decisions under the carpet so I feel they being instructed to mainly to fix the match for best TV viewing and revenue, hence why there might never be a Sevilla vs Leicester. final.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

akamoke wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
akamoke,

I.May be wrong but I.haven't seen evidence anywhere of money changing hands
Agree
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

tfco wrote:
no. stop spreading lies please
Well tell us.why this us.different. we don't all have your insight