[FA Cup] Arsenal 2-1 Man City (Monreal, Alexis; Kun) AET FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [FA Cup] Arsenal 2-1 Man City (Monreal, Alexis; Kun) AET

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Pep has a lot of work to do this season in rebuilding this team . City simply did not have the legs to hang with Arsenal today. Each time Arsenal broke with speed, they really unsettled City.
That means he is going to buy more players, in addition to what he already bought.
That is not the kind of revolution we were promised, cheque book solutions are for the English fools of the EPL who don't understand cultured continental football.

fair enough, but the current Clichy, Zabaleta, Sterling, and Navas should NOT be playing for a top team. Only Arsenal can carry such players and try to package them as quality. These guys would not start for Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, or even Tottenham. Ok, maybe not the current Man U, as Mourinho sometimes just loves a player for no reason and plays and plays him.
Huh? the same club that begged him to stay? Sterling will WALK into Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Tottenham. He will even twerk his way into the pitch!

Additionally, who asked Pep to go into the season with those players? Why do you guys like making excuses. Person spent the most amount of money of any manager in the league! Even after the spent, the bank account was still open for him to spend more and he said he was belle full! So, why should we now say it is not his team and make excuses?? Please! When its time to criticize other managers, you guys are excited! All of a sudden, the golden boy has come in and shat in his pants and una sey make we do like sey the room no dey smell? Odiegwu!
haba! You know better than assume I am making excuses for Pep. He owns the team, period.
Let's agree to disagree on Sterling. They way you yab Sanchez as brainless is the way I look at Sterling...even worse. No way as I coach of one of the Top 5 teams I pay 50 million for him. Haba, players don finish for Europe? Dude isn't better than Walcott or Lennon.
Sterling is as brainless, and not as good as Sanchez. :biggrin:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

glad to see that this forum is still waxing strong and the never ending Arsenal debate still going on.

It's been a very bad, frustrating season. I hope yesterday's win helped to bring back some positivity
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

^^^^Martinez worked it well enough to bag an FA Cup, Pearson switched to a 3-4-3 with Leicester, saved their season and sowed the seeds for what would follow. The success of Chelsea isn't a product of novelty, they are, simply put, well managed side playing to the strength of their components, how many can claim to be doing the same?
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

amafolas wrote:
platinum wrote:
amafolas wrote:The 3-4-3 does bring some defensive stability. I only started watching half time, and Arsenal played really really well. The extra CB was absolutely necessary. For once, our 18 yard box always seemed crowded the way Chelsea's used to be under Mourinho. Ox positioning as wing-back was spot on all game. Bellerin was sitting too tucked in defensively like a RB excpecting cover from a RW. He will need to sort that out if he is going to play WB. He also is nowhere as comfortable on the ball as Ox.

Wenger has always preferred playing CMs over having designated DMs, this formation switch allows him to fulfill his wish.

The attack still seems disjointed though and lacks a strategy. I know Wenger will work on it but hopefully not at the expense of improved defensive solidity. So many players don't have a role in this formation. What do we do with Walcott, Coquelin, Cazorla when he returns? I don't see where they fit. Elneny and Iwobi can find a role on this team. I'm excited about the change. The last time I saw Wenger made a major change was 2009 after we bought Arshavin (finally gave up on Rosicky as our LW due to injuries) and switched from 4-4-2 (and its variants) to a 4-3-3 and its variants which is what we have played until now.

amafolas,

I hope the funeral went well. Keep your head up my brother.

As for Arsenal, I think the main problem was the isolation of the attack because the midfield simply couldnt get the ball to the front 3 fast enough. It was an understandable dilemma...Xhaka and Ramsey were focused on shielding the back three and they're not particularly brilliant at moving the ball forward fast anyway. In the second half, Arsenal started to actually use those wingbacks to great effect like Chelsea does and it showed....the problem was the team seemed to forget to protect the back door as they went gungho (not hard to blame them, they could smell the fact that City was ripe for a beating).

I don't know if the formation is here to stay. Flexibility would be nice. We see it at Juve and Conte does it too. Players will have a role. However if Arsenal is sticking to the 3 man back then Coq needs to go. Walcott can probably deputize as a backup striker but I don't think he's suited to the wingback role, he's not strong enough. Cazorla? He's the easiest, he would OWN the central midfield...the only other player who can think as quickly as him is Ozil and I don't envision the German dropping into CM any time soon though he's been doing it in recent games (only because no one was getting the ball to the front and he simply had to drop deep to initiate play)
Chief plat. thanks oh. we had great support for the funeral. On CE and everywhere, people surprise me in very good ways. Funeral no be like wedding that you can plan long time in advance. The turn out and support was incredible to me. Everything went well by Gods grace. As my other egbon talk am, it's now up to us the living to 'carry on the baton" for those who came before us and ran their course. It is my hope that I am able to do that with diligence and grace. Thanks so much for you

Come to think of it, I agree with you, you can always find a role for supreme players like Cazorla and Sanchez in whatever system. It's more limited players like Coq and Walcott that will suffer. The key might be to keep both systems. But that's never been Wenger. He is slow to make big formation changes, but when he does, he hardly ever looks back. He might keep refining how the formation works (e.g. turning a 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1) depending on personnel, but he rarely ever keeps 2 different systems at the same time. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I won't be shocked if some variant of 3 at the back becomes our default next season.

With chelsea losing steam lately and looking hapless against ManU last week, I wonder how much of their success with this formation is down to novelty. with time, will premier league coaches figure it out?

Your egbon is 100% correct. May favor, grace, mercy and wisdom be yours as you look to carry on that legacy. If your interactions here are anything to go by, you're a son any father would be proud of. It is well with you.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

PapaK wrote:glad to see that this forum is still waxing strong and the never ending Arsenal debate still going on.

It's been a very bad, frustrating season. I hope yesterday's win helped to bring back some positivity
kai...PapaK. na your face be this?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:glad to see that this forum is still waxing strong and the never ending Arsenal debate still going on.

:D :D :D
na so o! I hated football for some time, mainly because every channel I turned to, the discussion what about Wenger and why it has to be WENGER OUT. Arsenal's bad form was enough frustration, but the post match chatter was quite nauseating. Anyway, I know the good days will return someday. Hopefully, in my lifetime
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

na so o! I hated football for some time, mainly because every channel I turned to, the discussion what about Wenger and why it has to be WENGER OUT. Arsenal's bad form was enough frustration, but the post match chatter was quite nauseating. Anyway, I know the good days will return someday. Hopefully, in my lifetime
We are all happy again... :D
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Robbynice wrote:
PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

We are all happy again... :D

e remain for Globero to show up.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

In order for the good days to return, Arsene has to either step aside, or become more pragmatic and serious. Stop signing junk players and expecting them to become stars. Stop fielding players who are not serious or ambitious. Stop being too arrogant to adjust your tactics to match your opponent.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Welcome back bro. I think we were due a poor season but do not forget the season is still not over and we could still be in the top 4 and win the FA Cup.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

In order for the good days to return, Arsene has to either step aside, or become more pragmatic and serious. Stop signing junk players and expecting them to become stars. Stop fielding players who are not serious or ambitious. Stop being too arrogant to adjust your tactics to match your opponent.

Wenger out!! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

chei, see as gunners everywhere dey re-appear from wherever they were hiding. Na so this season hard reach?
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

amafolas wrote:chei, see as gunners everywhere dey re-appear from wherever they were hiding. Na so this season hard reach?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Anthony Taylor will be the ref on May 27.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

balo wrote:Anthony Taylor will be the ref on May 27.

I bet you're happy....anyway, at least no be Mike Dean.

I think that young ref is the only decent one left in the EPL.
Last edited by Chief Ogbunigwe on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I bet you're happy....anyway, at least no be Howard Dean.

I don't care either way. Just sharing that information.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

balo wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

how your household go take do? You dey support Chelsea, while Wenger is about to sign your son....
AFCON 2019 sweet o

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
balo wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

how your household go take do? You dey support Chelsea, while Wenger is about to sign your son....
Wenger out! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Chief you got it wrong> Anthony Taylor is one of the worst ref in EPL.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
balo wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I want Pogba money. Odawais, RM dey swoon. :D

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

ojafranpa wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Chief you got it wrong> Anthony Taylor is one of the worst ref in EPL.

Taylor is terrible, but I doubt any ref can be worse than Mike Dean or Phil Dauda...
AFCON 2019 sweet o