[FA Cup] Arsenal 2-1 Man City (Monreal, Alexis; Kun) AET FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [FA Cup] Arsenal 2-1 Man City (Monreal, Alexis; Kun) AET

Post by Tbite »

Wenger can win the UCL on mars or even Andromeda, Wenger OUT!

There is nothing that he can do that will change my mind. Absolutely nothing.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

bouncino wrote:I do not know about you but this was a solid performance from the boys despite the refs negative influence
Spot on. Now we hope we can continue and finish the season strongly. The signs look good.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: [FA Cup SF] Arsenal v Man City (15:00 BST)

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Not 3-5-2 bro. It is 3-4-3.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: [FA Cup SF] Arsenal 0-0 Man City (1H)

Post by Waffiman »

platinum wrote:the next coach of arsenal needs to ban backpassing....force these guys to THINK and act faster.
Next Coach. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

YUJAM wrote:Pep has a lot of work to do this season in rebuilding this team . City simply did not have the legs to hang with Arsenal today. Each time Arsenal broke with speed, they really unsettled City.
That means he is going to buy more players, in addition to what he already bought.
That is not the kind of revolution we were promised, cheque book solutions are for the English fools of the EPL who don't understand cultured continental football.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

benteke wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Pep has a lot of work to do this season in rebuilding this team . City simply did not have the legs to hang with Arsenal today. Each time Arsenal broke with speed, they really unsettled City.
That means he is going to buy more players, in addition to what he already bought.
That is not the kind of revolution we were promised, cheque book solutions are for the English fools of the EPL who don't understand cultured continental football.

fair enough, but the current Clichy, Zabaleta, Sterling, and Navas should NOT be playing for a top team. Only Arsenal can carry such players and try to package them as quality. These guys would not start for Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, or even Tottenham. Ok, maybe not the current Man U, as Mourinho sometimes just loves a player for no reason and plays and plays him.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:an improved performance. Kudos to the team. However, I remain skeptical... Arsenal has been "one step forward, 3 steps back" in recent times. Plus the team has a bunch of players who are barely functioning (intellectually or physically)...

You are a smart man. I am just chilling laughing here. People who watch football well will tell you that teams that play football the way Arsenal play are kryptonite to Pep. Pep does not know how to play against team that are good in possession, and the fact Arsenal defeated City should not be a surprise.

Unless El Neny or Coq becomes a Herrera that can pocket Hazard, while the likes of Gabriel, Kos and Holding keep their heads against Costa's madness, it will be a long night vs Chelsea. Plus unlike the fairies at Man City, Chelsea boys will not shy away from being physical with Ozil.

Let's see what AW comes up with. Maybe 2 goalkeepers?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

fair enough, but the current Clichy, Zabaleta, Sterling, and Navas should NOT be playing for a top team. Only Arsenal can carry such players and try to package them as quality. These guys would not start for Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U, or even Tottenham. Ok, maybe not the current Man U, as Mourinho sometimes just loves a player for no reason and plays and plays him.
That Clichy is a proper Arsenal player...he simply fell asleep on the second goal..and that comical slash of thin air with his left leg after Alexis had stolen the ball is the stuff that makes coaches to grab a player by the neck in the dressing room. When i see moments like that i thank God am not a coach...i would have been convicted of manslaughter a long time ago!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

oloye wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

That Clichy is a proper Arsenal player...he simply fell asleep on the second goal..and that comical slash of thin air with his left leg after Alexis had stolen the ball is the stuff that makes coaches to grab a player by the neck in the dressing room. When i see moments like that i thank God am not a coach...i would have been convicted of manslaughter a long time ago!

kai....Oloye, you are wicked, but I hate to admit that you're right. I still wonder whether na me no sabi football, or coaches of Man City have lost their minds fielding Clichy regularly. I still think it is highway robbery when AW sold him to City.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

slyk
Egg
Egg

Post by slyk »

Good win by the Arsenal. Nice to see them buck their recent trend. With this win, Arsenal have guaranteed themselves Europa League football next season.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Robbynice wrote:
Mister Dolly wrote:Full props to the lads today. I honestly didn't hold out much hope and expected them to capitulate after City went ahead. Somehow they managed to find some steel and stand up to City in the second half and keep their belief that City is a flawed side and boy, did they exploit it to great advantage.
City though did miss great chances to level the scores but Welbeck also missed a hattrick of goals.

On to the finals. Will take a FA Cup win over nothing at this point!

And no this win did not save Wenger's job, The board were never going to fire him as much as most of us desired at the end of this season.
KPOM KWEM!

Wonderful. Even Robby don show face...now awaiting PapaK and Globero.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:
bouncino wrote:I do not know about you but this was a solid performance from the boys despite the refs negative influence
Spot on. Now we hope we can continue and finish the season strongly. The signs look good.
one win is not a 'signs'.........it doesn't matter anyway.....wenger is staying so the rot will run deeper
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Waffiman wrote:
platinum wrote:the next coach of arsenal needs to ban backpassing....force these guys to THINK and act faster.

Warri man, at some point, whether next season or twenty years from now, Arsenal WILL have a next coach. E nor get wetin you fit do about am. No odeshi go help you here.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

The 3-4-3 does bring some defensive stability. I only started watching half time, and Arsenal played really really well. The extra CB was absolutely necessary. For once, our 18 yard box always seemed crowded the way Chelsea's used to be under Mourinho. Ox positioning as wing-back was spot on all game. Bellerin was sitting too tucked in defensively like a RB excpecting cover from a RW. He will need to sort that out if he is going to play WB. He also is nowhere as comfortable on the ball as Ox.

Wenger has always preferred playing CMs over having designated DMs, this formation switch allows him to fulfill his wish.

The attack still seems disjointed though and lacks a strategy. I know Wenger will work on it but hopefully not at the expense of improved defensive solidity. So many players don't have a role in this formation. What do we do with Walcott, Coquelin, Cazorla when he returns? I don't see where they fit. Elneny and Iwobi can find a role on this team. I'm excited about the change. The last time I saw Wenger made a major change was 2009 after we bought Arshavin (finally gave up on Rosicky as our LW due to injuries) and switched from 4-4-2 (and its variants) to a 4-3-3 and its variants which is what we have played until now.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:

Dont mind YUrine!

Person spent the most amount of money of any coach in the land! more than 200 million Euros! Now, dem they give us excuse sey no be e team? Whose team is it??? Chief Ajas team? Dem promise us revolution and we have been waiting to be revolved... yet, all we keep hearing is check book pages flipping! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

Huh? the same club that begged him to stay? Sterling will WALK into Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Tottenham. He will even twerk his way into the pitch!

Additionally, who asked Pep to go into the season with those players? Why do you guys like making excuses. Person spent the most amount of money of any manager in the league! Even after the spent, the bank account was still open for him to spend more and he said he was belle full! So, why should we now say it is not his team and make excuses?? Please! When its time to criticize other managers, you guys are excited! All of a sudden, the golden boy has come in and shat in his pants and una sey make we do like sey the room no dey smell? Odiegwu!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:an improved performance. Kudos to the team. However, I remain skeptical... Arsenal has been "one step forward, 3 steps back" in recent times. Plus the team has a bunch of players who are barely functioning (intellectually or physically)...

You are a smart man. I am just chilling laughing here. People who watch football well will tell you that teams that play football the way Arsenal play are kryptonite to Pep. Pep does not know how to play against team that are good in possession, and the fact Arsenal defeated City should not be a surprise.

Unless El Neny or Coq becomes a Herrera that can pocket Hazard, while the likes of Gabriel, Kos and Holding keep their heads against Costa's madness, it will be a long night vs Chelsea. Plus unlike the fairies at Man City, Chelsea boys will not shy away from being physical with Ozil.

You are even looking that far ahead. I am talking about Leicester and Southampton. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Warri man, at some point, whether next season or twenty years from now, Arsenal WILL have a next coach. E nor get wetin you fit do about am. No odeshi go help you here.

Warri man dey laugh you, you dey beat chest! The man has told you that Wenger will not depart that position, even when he is dead, dem go dey carry corpse come pitch, and you are there making mouth. Continue! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

amafolas wrote:The 3-4-3 does bring some defensive stability. I only started watching half time, and Arsenal played really really well. The extra CB was absolutely necessary. For once, our 18 yard box always seemed crowded the way Chelsea's used to be under Mourinho. Ox positioning as wing-back was spot on all game. Bellerin was sitting too tucked in defensively like a RB excpecting cover from a RW. He will need to sort that out if he is going to play WB. He also is nowhere as comfortable on the ball as Ox.

Wenger has always preferred playing CMs over having designated DMs, this formation switch allows him to fulfill his wish.

The attack still seems disjointed though and lacks a strategy. I know Wenger will work on it but hopefully not at the expense of improved defensive solidity. So many players don't have a role in this formation. What do we do with Walcott, Coquelin, Cazorla when he returns? I don't see where they fit. Elneny and Iwobi can find a role on this team. I'm excited about the change. The last time I saw Wenger made a major change was 2009 after we bought Arshavin (finally gave up on Rosicky as our LW due to injuries) and switched from 4-4-2 (and its variants) to a 4-3-3 and its variants which is what we have played until now.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Bro! I know a win can be blinding. But City hit the post TWO TIMES, and had 2 1 v 1s, when kelechi headed wide and another player missed, narrowly.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

amafolas wrote:The 3-4-3 does bring some defensive stability. I only started watching half time, and Arsenal played really really well. The extra CB was absolutely necessary. For once, our 18 yard box always seemed crowded the way Chelsea's used to be under Mourinho. Ox positioning as wing-back was spot on all game. Bellerin was sitting too tucked in defensively like a RB excpecting cover from a RW. He will need to sort that out if he is going to play WB. He also is nowhere as comfortable on the ball as Ox.

amafolas,

I hope the funeral went well. Keep your head up my brother.

As for Arsenal, I think the main problem was the isolation of the attack because the midfield simply couldnt get the ball to the front 3 fast enough. It was an understandable dilemma...Xhaka and Ramsey were focused on shielding the back three and they're not particularly brilliant at moving the ball forward fast anyway. In the second half, Arsenal started to actually use those wingbacks to great effect like Chelsea does and it showed....the problem was the team seemed to forget to protect the back door as they went gungho (not hard to blame them, they could smell the fact that City was ripe for a beating).

I don't know if the formation is here to stay. Flexibility would be nice. We see it at Juve and Conte does it too. Players will have a role. However if Arsenal is sticking to the 3 man back then Coq needs to go. Walcott can probably deputize as a backup striker but I don't think he's suited to the wingback role, he's not strong enough. Cazorla? He's the easiest, he would OWN the central midfield...the only other player who can think as quickly as him is Ozil and I don't envision the German dropping into CM any time soon though he's been doing it in recent games (only because no one was getting the ball to the front and he simply had to drop deep to initiate play)
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

platinum wrote:

amafolas,

I hope the funeral went well. Keep your head up my brother.

As for Arsenal, I think the main problem was the isolation of the attack because the midfield simply couldnt get the ball to the front 3 fast enough. It was an understandable dilemma...Xhaka and Ramsey were focused on shielding the back three and they're not particularly brilliant at moving the ball forward fast anyway. In the second half, Arsenal started to actually use those wingbacks to great effect like Chelsea does and it showed....the problem was the team seemed to forget to protect the back door as they went gungho (not hard to blame them, they could smell the fact that City was ripe for a beating).

I don't know if the formation is here to stay. Flexibility would be nice. We see it at Juve and Conte does it too. Players will have a role. However if Arsenal is sticking to the 3 man back then Coq needs to go. Walcott can probably deputize as a backup striker but I don't think he's suited to the wingback role, he's not strong enough. Cazorla? He's the easiest, he would OWN the central midfield...the only other player who can think as quickly as him is Ozil and I don't envision the German dropping into CM any time soon though he's been doing it in recent games (only because no one was getting the ball to the front and he simply had to drop deep to initiate play)
Chief plat. thanks oh. we had great support for the funeral. On CE and everywhere, people surprise me in very good ways. Funeral no be like wedding that you can plan long time in advance. The turn out and support was incredible to me. Everything went well by Gods grace. As my other egbon talk am, it's now up to us the living to 'carry on the baton" for those who came before us and ran their course. It is my hope that I am able to do that with diligence and grace. Thanks so much for you

Come to think of it, I agree with you, you can always find a role for supreme players like Cazorla and Sanchez in whatever system. It's more limited players like Coq and Walcott that will suffer. The key might be to keep both systems. But that's never been Wenger. He is slow to make big formation changes, but when he does, he hardly ever looks back. He might keep refining how the formation works (e.g. turning a 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1) depending on personnel, but he rarely ever keeps 2 different systems at the same time. Depending on how the rest of the season goes, I won't be shocked if some variant of 3 at the back becomes our default next season.

With chelsea losing steam lately and looking hapless against ManU last week, I wonder how much of their success with this formation is down to novelty. with time, will premier league coaches figure it out?
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:

Huh? the same club that begged him to stay? Sterling will WALK into Chelsea, Liverpool, United and Tottenham. He will even twerk his way into the pitch!

Additionally, who asked Pep to go into the season with those players? Why do you guys like making excuses. Person spent the most amount of money of any manager in the league! Even after the spent, the bank account was still open for him to spend more and he said he was belle full! So, why should we now say it is not his team and make excuses?? Please! When its time to criticize other managers, you guys are excited! All of a sudden, the golden boy has come in and shat in his pants and una sey make we do like sey the room no dey smell? Odiegwu!
haba! You know better than assume I am making excuses for Pep. He owns the team, period.
Let's agree to disagree on Sterling. They way you yab Sanchez as brainless is the way I look at Sterling...even worse. No way as I coach of one of the Top 5 teams I pay 50 million for him. Haba, players don finish for Europe? Dude isn't better than Walcott or Lennon.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

You are even looking that far ahead. I am talking about Leicester and Southampton. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
You are correct, but I am not expecting anything special from those games. Last chance to make this season count is to win FA cup.
AFCON 2019 sweet o