The most important position in the soccer field is?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The most important position in the soccer field is?

Post by Kabalega »

If I were to pick 1 position, it would be any position that has a complete player. One who can defend like the best of them, controls midfield at a top level, creates goals and also scores goals.

Right now, there is only one player who does this at a top level and I suspect he can play goalie too. :thumbs:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

kolinzo wrote:Playmaking position is most important position. Now that could be from the back, center, or upfront. The playmaker dictates what goes on on the field.
:thumbs:
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
kolinzo wrote:Playmaking position is most important position. Now that could be from the back, center, or upfront. The playmaker dictates what goes on on the field.
What is the point if they don't defend well?

You cannot win a major tournament without a solid defense!
Also, what good is a play-maker, if the recipients are wasteful?

Right now, a team can qualify for the World Cup, win one group game 1-0, then go all the way to the final and win it all without scoring another goal in open play.

And almost nobody would remember the play-makers they tossed aside, along the way. :laugh:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

Right now, a team can qualify for the World Cup, win one group game 1-0, then go all the way to the final and win it all without scoring another goal in open play.

And almost nobody would remember the play-makers they tossed aside, along the way. :laugh:
The Barca of Koeman did not have a good defense. We are talking here about typical situations, not one-off or rare events, like Leicester winning the EPL. All things been equal, the most important position, is I think 10.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

What will you say is Monaco wins the champs league. Will that be due to a solid defense?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

bamenda boy wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

What will you say is Monaco wins the champs league. Will that be due to a solid defense?
Don't they have to win it first, before you ask this kind of question?

What will you say if Monaco don't win it?
Last edited by Kabalega on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

The Barca of Koeman did not have a good defense. We are talking here about typical situations, not one-off or rare events, like Leicester winning the EPL. All things been equal, the most important position, is I think 10.
You mean all other positions having good players?
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

They had a certain Michael Laudrup.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

Are you supporting my POV? :???:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Kabalega wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

Forget about winning. How comes they have made it so far?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
oglex30
Egg
Egg

Post by oglex30 »

Goalie all day long, it's not even close.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Defending and attacking are more dependent on systems than players or individual positions.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

bamenda boy wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

Leicester City also made it that far but Monaco took advantage of the BvB terrorist attack.
The BvB bus delay in France was classless! :boo:

BTW, Mbappé will only play for African Champions, Cameroon, if they maintain the defensive prowess they had in Gabon 2017. :)
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

oglex30 wrote:Goalie all day long, it's not even close.
Kpom!

Next question? :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

No, I am saying that Michael Laudrup made a huge impact. I am not sure their goalie was any good then.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote: :thumbs:

No, I am saying that Michael Laudrup made a huge impact. I am not sure their goalie was any good then.
Zubizarreta was also Spain's number 1 at that time.

Koeman, Nando, Juan Carlos and Pep Guardiola were solid defensively. The forwards were so good that most overlook the team's defensive exploits.

Maybe you saw the team at the end when they had issues in Johan Cruyff's final two seasons but his methods that live on to this day were solid defensively.

It is similar to the myth that Brazil's goalies were bad.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Uganda had the best Goalie at the last ANC.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote:

Koeman, Nando, Juan Carlos and Pep Guardiola were solid defensively. The forwards were so good that most overlook the team's defensive exploits.

Maybe you saw the team at the end when they had issues in Johan Cruyff's final two seasons but his methods that live on to this day were solid defensively.

Pep Guardiola was not good defensively. He was a a wing back.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

:???: :???: English is my 2nd language so correct me if I misunderstood your post.
Are you implying that wing backs are not good defenders?
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

:???: :???: English is my 2nd language so correct me if I misunderstood your post.
Yes, I am. The strength of wing back is their offense, ability to go forward, like wingers, not defense.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Yes, I am. The strength of wing back is their offense, ability to go forward, like wingers, not defense.
Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, your POV is quite prevalent.

Every player on the pitch should have the ability to score and help out defensively.
Wing-backs should know when to go forward as much as when to tuck-in to defend and be good at both. It helps to have bionic lungs. :)
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

bamenda boy wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
camex wrote:

66th minute: Monaco 0 vs 2 Juventus :)