Man Utd to pay tribute to Nigerian fans

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
Man Utd to pay tribute to Nigerian fans

Post by felarey »

Manchester United has revealed plans to honour Nigerian football fans who died last week following an accident in the south-eastern city of Calabar.
The tragedy, which claimed the lives of at least seven people, happened when an electric cable fell on fans watching a Manchester United match on TV.
The English club tweeted that its players will wear black armbands on Sunday in memory of the victims. English football has a large and passionate following in Nigeria.

The high-tension cable fell on a crowded shack which was showing the Europa League quarter-final against Anderlecht.

One witnesses said the building had a zinc roof which conducted the electricity to those watching inside.

In addition to the dead, at least 30 people were rushed to hospital by local ambulances.
Some eyewitnesses said the number of people who died was higher than the official toll of seven.
It is unclear what caused the electric cable to collapse. The BBC understands an investigation into the incident is underway.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39744863
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
akamoke
Re: Man Utd to pay tribute to Nigerian fans

Post by akamoke »

Nice of them to recognize their fallen fans
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

akamoke wrote:Nice of them to recognize their fallen fans
Are you sure all the dead are Man Utd fans?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

They were not all ManU fans.

But brilliant by the club.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Good by Manu,tgey should help the victims family with 1million each. 7 milion is nothing for them,hope other Epl clubs start pay tribute to their African fans.
Hope my beloved will send Henry to Nigeria to meet the fans of gooners since we have our Arsenal uniform and holiday.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

That's some pleasant news to hear ...however shame on Rashford for diving
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Does it matter if they were Man Utd fans or not? They were watching a Man Utd vs Anderletch game and died watching. Looks like Rooney pointed up and acknowledged them after scoring. Good stuff.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...could they be Anderletch fans too? Let's see if the Belgian club will honor them too.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

How about Nigerians paying tribute to fellow Nigerians; Did any Nigerian local league game last weekend observe a moment of silence
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

folem wrote:
akamoke wrote:Nice of them to recognize their fallen fans
Are you sure all the dead are Man Utd fans?
No! No one will be sure of that, but they are all "lovers of football" at least.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

jette1 wrote:How about Nigerians paying tribute to fellow Nigerians; Did any Nigerian local league game last weekend observe a moment of silence
If you wait for Nigeria government or any organization in Nigeria to take lead in things of such nature, you will have to wait for years.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.