Kelechi to Dortmund?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Kelechi to Dortmund?

Post by Cristao II »

txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:If he were to leave City, it would be cus he was not good enough and most importantly, never took the chances he got, few as they may have been.

Lets be clear: the paucity of chances is not sufficient excuse. Gabriel Jesus had even less, but fact is, he grabbed them like his life depended on it. So much that it actually put Aguero's position at risk...That's what u do as a young player in an ambitious team...

I like Kele, but his all-round game bothers on woeful. He cannot play out wide; lacks movement in the box to find space; does not understand the kind of movements he should make relative to the position of the ball. The modern game is about structure not spontaneity.

And somebody is foolish enough to suggest Dortmund! But they have Tuchel, so who knows...perhaps he will re-adapt their game...

As I've often said here to much criticism, our foundational coaching in Nigeria is severely lacking. It does not adequately prepare young players for pro football...
Competition between Jesus and Nacho was not in away balanced. It is funny how you yab Nacho but at one point, he had the highest goals to minutes. No youth player comes out fully developed. Some coaching must be done. Pep is refusing to coach!! Players like Harry Kane, Danny Rose, Dele Alli etc are products of Spurs coaches following Poch's philosophy putting his arm around their shoulders and giving them extra coaching.

Man City has the best Academy in Manchester if not one of the best in England yet I have seen less youth come out of that club. Shocking!
What do you mean "not balanced"? Kele was ahead of him having already being in place at City, including a pre-season with Pep. What more advantage could he have had?

2ndly, those stats you cite are so completely meaningless that they are laughable...Goals to minutes ratio? Seriously?

Its one thing to coach a player; its another to imbibe and translate on the field; and yet another to have the mentality to fight for your place.

Reality is, he has not taken his chances. Sure he has a very demanding coach, but he also has a well established history of giving young players a chance...
Kele's stats are not meaningless!! He has performed as any developing youth player should have performed and even more!! I have just noticed who I am about to enter an argument with!! I am not giving myself an headache replying you!!

PS Pep has an history of giving youth players a chance? where? Barcelona? - remove all the Barca B players that he had already coached!! Bayern? City? He is as bad as Jose Mourinho when it comes to youth development!! Money is what he uses to solve his problems. I am beginning to agree with his nickname - FRAUDIOLA!! Already he is looking at Spurs and deciding he wants Alli, Walker and Rose!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Pep might win titles but in terms of developing and coaching players - forget it!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Anyone that says stats don't matter for a striker, is a full blown mumu.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:If he were to leave City, it would be cus he was not good enough and most importantly, never took the chances he got, few as they may have been.

Lets be clear: the paucity of chances is not sufficient excuse. Gabriel Jesus had even less, but fact is, he grabbed them like his life depended on it. So much that it actually put Aguero's position at risk...That's what u do as a young player in an ambitious team...

I like Kele, but his all-round game bothers on woeful. He cannot play out wide; lacks movement in the box to find space; does not understand the kind of movements he should make relative to the position of the ball. The modern game is about structure not spontaneity.

And somebody is foolish enough to suggest Dortmund! But they have Tuchel, so who knows...perhaps he will re-adapt their game...

As I've often said here to much criticism, our foundational coaching in Nigeria is severely lacking. It does not adequately prepare young players for pro football...
Competition between Jesus and Nacho was not in away balanced. It is funny how you yab Nacho but at one point, he had the highest goals to minutes. No youth player comes out fully developed. Some coaching must be done. Pep is refusing to coach!! Players like Harry Kane, Danny Rose, Dele Alli etc are products of Spurs coaches following Poch's philosophy putting his arm around their shoulders and giving them extra coaching.

Man City has the best Academy in Manchester if not one of the best in England yet I have seen less youth come out of that club. Shocking!
What do you mean "not balanced"? Kele was ahead of him having already being in place at City, including a pre-season with Pep. What more advantage could he have had?

2ndly, those stats you cite are so completely meaningless that they are laughable...Goals to minutes ratio? Seriously?

Its one thing to coach a player; its another to imbibe and translate on the field; and yet another to have the mentality to fight for your place.

Reality is, he has not taken his chances. Sure he has a very demanding coach, but he also has a well established history of giving young players a chance...
Kele's stats are not meaningless!! He has performed as any developing youth player should have performed and even more!! I have just noticed who I am about to enter an argument with!! I am not giving myself an headache replying you!!

PS Pep has an history of giving youth players a chance? where? Barcelona? - remove all the Barca B players that he had already coached!! Bayern? City? He is as bad as Jose Mourinho when it comes to youth development!! Money is what he uses to solve his problems. I am beginning to agree with his nickname - FRAUDIOLA!! Already he is looking at Spurs and deciding he wants Alli, Walker and Rose!!

Pep might win titles but in terms of developing and coaching players - forget it!
Why remove the Barca B players; since when did they stop being youth players?
I mean, a coach in a top team that would sell Yaya in order to make room for Busquets...Then Pedro, Cuenca, etc...

Coman
Kimmich
Bernat

You appear hurt cus of the speculation around Spurs players...Ewoooo
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

okidoki wrote:Anyone that says stats don't matter for a striker, is a full blown mumu.
Stop insulting txj
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

Why remove the Barca B players; since when did they stop being youth players?
I mean, a coach in a top team that would sell Yaya in order to make room for Busquets...Then Pedro, Cuenca, etc...

Coman
Kimmich
Bernat

You appear hurt cus of the speculation around Spurs players...Ewoooo
I removed Barca B because he was Barca B's manager before he became manager of Barca. Coman was known while at PSG - he took him on loan from Juventus. Kimmich was developed and spotted by Leipzig and Bernat was developed by Valencia.

Hurt about speculation about Spurs players? Is this the first time clubs want to buy Spurs players? Doesnt Spurs buy players from other teams? With Levy as chairman, why would I be hurt? Also it is football - players move from one club to another.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Nacho, Success and even Musa all have low football IQ. They will do well with spontaneity but not in structure. As Nigerian's we have an over inflated opinion of the quality of our players. Despite Nacho's goal scoring ratio, the guy is simply useless. Those goals IMHO, are pure luck. The few exceptions being the hatrick game against CP. I am unsure what the big deal is. Aguero and Jesus are far superior. If he was a Ghanaian, nobody would even discuss this.

Some of us were just happy to see someone a tad bit better than Jude Ighalo. Good is better than Bad but we need great.

A striker that has movement and understands movement not one who has limited concept. No denying his skills but I think TXJ summed it up. Nigerian grass root development over emphasizes speed, skill and physical strength. It does not emphasize football IQ, movement and team play. Our development is completely backward. This is not limited to Nacho and is certainly not his fault. There is a reason Weah, Aubemayang, Keshi, Oliseh, Abedi Pele and even Taribo West succeeded on the big stage. They have African skills but a superior IQ to any white man. kele does not.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

nzeogwu wrote:Nacho, Success and even Musa all have low football IQ.
Nacho has low football IQ? Gibberish. He's the most intelligent forward Nigeria have had in decades. He's been scoring thanks to his brain, not his braun or skills.

What you just stating is the exact opposite type of player Iheanacho is.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

nzeogwu wrote:Nacho, Success and even Musa all have low football IQ. They will do well with spontaneity but not in structure. As Nigerian's we have an over inflated opinion of the quality of our players. Despite Nacho's goal scoring ratio, the guy is simply useless. Those goals IMHO, are pure luck. The few exceptions being the hatrick game against CP. I am unsure what the big deal is. Aguero and Jesus are far superior. If he was a Ghanaian, nobody would even discuss this.

Some of us were just happy to see someone a tad bit better than Jude Ighalo. Good is better than Bad but we need great.

A striker that has movement and understands movement not one who has limited concept. No denying his skills but I think TXJ summed it up. Nigerian grass root development over emphasizes speed, skill and physical strength. It does not emphasize football IQ, movement and team play. Our development is completely backward. This is not limited to Nacho and is certainly not his fault. There is a reason Weah, Aubemayang, Keshi, Oliseh, Abedi Pele and even Taribo West succeeded on the big stage. They have African skills but a superior IQ to any white man. kele does not.
While I agree on some point, this is your inferiority complex talking. Kelechi is only 20 years old. He has plenty of time to improve. Jesus has had more full seasons of junior football and Aguero is rated as one of the best strikers in the world, competition for him is going to be tough. The fact is he can improve and has a much higher ceiling than Ighalo and Musa and can become great. If you can't see that then that is your inferiority complex talking.

Calling players useless doesn't improve us, it brings us down. If you can't see the good in your players and build off of that, you will never get better. Also how can his goals be pure luck if he understands positioning in the box?

Also the African players you mentioned like Aubameyang weren't even doing as well as Kele when they were his age and didn't really hit the heights until after they were 23.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

nzeogwu wrote:Nacho, Success and even Musa all have low football IQ. They will do well with spontaneity but not in structure. As Nigerian's we have an over inflated opinion of the quality of our players. Despite Nacho's goal scoring ratio, the guy is simply useless. Those goals IMHO, are pure luck. The few exceptions being the hatrick game against CP. I am unsure what the big deal is. Aguero and Jesus are far superior. If he was a Ghanaian, nobody would even discuss this.

Rocks for brains
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

A player that doesn't a fit a particular coach's style of play is no big deal.

It happens all the time.

To even say that he didn't take his chances when presented to him is beyond laughable. His goal/minute average was one of the best in recent memory.

I hope Kelechi has a good agent... he needs a coach that believes in his abilities.

Pep should not be allowed to destroy the poor boy's confidence.

Unlike Yaya, Kele does not have the pedigree to overcome Pep's enormous ego. The same ego that made him send Joe Hart away for a none ball catching goalie... yeah, the wisdom of Pep... :? :roll:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Cellular wrote:A player that doesn't a fit a particular coach's style of play is no big deal.

It happens all the time.

To even say that he didn't take his chances when presented to him is beyond laughable. His goal/minute average was one of the best in recent memory.

I hope Kelechi has a good agent... he needs a coach that believes in his abilities.

Unlike Yaya, Kele does not have the pedigree to overcome Pep's enormous ego. The same ego that made him send Joe Hart away for a none ball catching goalie... yeah, the wisdom of Pep... :? :roll:

:clap: :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:

Rocks for brains

You are too kind.. :laugh:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Looks like somebody slapped the brain out of ya head. :laugh: :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

I don't buy that assertion at all . It is completely erroneous . Nacho, Kanu Nwankwo and Mikel are the most cerebral players Nigeria has ever produced. But Nacho is limited in skill however assiduous hence will improve under a coach who trusts and believes in him like his former Chelsea's coach . Mikel is vastly skillful and very intelligent player but lacks hunger and the desire to be the best he could have been. In case of Kanu his energy level was very questionable then the heart surgery he had definitely impacted adversely to his overall career.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:A player that doesn't a fit a particular coach's style of play is no big deal.

It happens all the time.

Again, that is a meaningless stat. It does not capture his overall play or contribution to the game, which is the central issue here. Aguero, albeit at a higher level was also in the doghouse with Pep on this...

Kele's understanding of movement patterns is totally flawed. Its not about a coach not believing in his abilities as Pep himself spoke highly of his efficacy in the box. Its about those abilities not being well rounded wrt overall play.

BTW, that "non-ball catching goalie" has won two Copa Americas, La Liga, Copa del Rey and CL.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:

It happens all the time.

Again, that is a meaningless stat. It does not capture his overall play or contribution to the game, which is the central issue here. Aguero, albeit at a higher level was also in the doghouse with Pep on this...

Kele's understanding of movement patterns is totally flawed. Its not about a coach not believing in his abilities as Pep himself spoke highly of his efficacy in the box. Its about those abilities not being well rounded wrt overall play.

BTW, that "non-ball catching goalie" has won two Copa Americas, La Liga, Copa del Rey and CL.
It is not a meaningless stat. It goes to show that his output (efficiency) is high. I know you are a fan of touches, throwins, corner kicks, possession, etc.

Two different coaches saw him and treated him differently. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. Coaches preference is still allowed.

As for the none ball catching goalies, it is what he currently is... the same way Pep values a ball-playing goalie over a ball catching goalie. That is his preference.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:

It happens all the time.

It is not a meaningless stat. It goes to show that his output (efficiency) is high. I know you are a fan of touches, throwins, corner kicks, possession, etc.

Two different coaches saw him and treated him differently. It has nothing to do with his abilities as a player. Coaches preference is still allowed.

As for the none ball catching goalies, it is what he currently is... the same way Pep values a ball-playing goalie over a ball catching goalie. That is his preference.

It goes to show that his goal conversion rate is high, period.

But it doesn't speak to his overall play and contribution. And that is the KOKO of the matter!!!
It is certainly about ability; overall ability.

But I do agree that he can go somewhere else where that is not valued as much...

A non ball catching goalie who won GK awards....I guess he caught with his feet!!!

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

But Txj,

You have to admit Bravo has been GARBAGE this season.

I know we cant judge the decision solely on one season but heck that's how we are judging Kelechi here. Using the same barometer, Brave has been a complete BUST!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote:But Txj,

I know we cant judge the decision solely on one season but heck that's how we are judging Kelechi here. Using the same barometer, Brave has been a complete BUST!
Not quite the same thing... We are judging Kele by his overall play, which has not improved even going back to Pelle's time...

Besides it seems misplaced to assess a GK alongside an outfield player...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I think its more about the development curriculum than about the IQ. Spontaneity by itself is evidence of a high IQ...

I have been saying this for years: we are not developing our young players to have a proper understanding of the team game...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:

Not quite the same thing... We are judging Kele by his overall play, which has not improved even going back to Pelle's time...

It is NOT misplaced. I am questioning Pep's infallibility in your eyes. He messed up on the goalie decision as he is messing up in the Kelechi decision. I am not even a City fan... I wish Spastic was around to give you other questionable personnel decisions he has made THIS year.

You can't have one of your future stars allegedly regress under your watch and not think you did not have anything to do with it.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:

It is NOT misplaced. I am questioning Pep's infallibility in your eyes. He messed up on the goalie decision as he is messing up in the Kelechi decision. I am not even a City fan... I wish Spastic was around to give you other questionable personnel decisions he has made THIS year.

You can't have one of your future stars allegedly regress under your watch and not think you did not have anything to do with it.

Nobody is infallible. Pep's failures litter his entire career as manager...

From a Nigerian perspective, I agree he could and should be more patient with Kele. But that's a 'home-court' decision not a decision based on the reality on the ground.

As for the GK situation, he made the absolute right decision, based on how his teams play. Problem for him is that the transition is being judged instantly, esp by peeps who want to shoot him down, whereas it takes a much longer time frame as we saw with De Gea for instance...

It is misplaced because the two issues are quite different.

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I am confused. Is txj a City fan or Liverpool fan? That said, txj - do explain why Victor Moses couldnt make it at Liverpool?

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8