This is the best footballer since Pele

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This is the best footballer since Pele

Post by benteke »

eyan wrote:I'm surprised that most guys turned this to CR vs Messi. Are those two the best since Pele? Are they better than Maradona? In my team at their peaks, I will pick real Ronaldo, Zidane and Ronaldinho before CR and Messi. And I believe Messi is a better footballer than CR. But football is more than goals and running around. CR and Messi are just about goals and running, players of nowadays have killed soccer acts. And CR is not a good team player, there have been many instances where he wld rather shoot than setting up another player. His assist shd have been more than that. I also believe Messi create more fear factor into the mind of the opponents than CR. At the end of the day, pple have to agree to disagree cos the way I see a player is different from the way u see view that same player.
Ronaldo used to be a proper team player at Man United and i recently saw an interview with Renee Meulensteen when he actually explains how they changed his focus towards more goalscoring, they changed his style at that point and around that season he won the EPL golden boot.
Ever since then he never looked back and went on to achieve great things.
That does not mean he has always only been about goals, this is where i think some people are starting to rewrite history in front of my eyes which is laughable in this day in age.
And also take into account Ronaldo is now 32years old, he is quite old in footballing terms, and to still see him scoring hattricks at the highest levels of European football is something great.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Molue Conductor wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
Cally wrote:Messi for me any day any time. Makes everyone around him better. Makes football delightful to watch. Is effective and efficient. Plays with his team mates. No contest here for me.
The easiest way to recognise people that don't know anything about football is when they say Fake Ron is better than Messi. The guy that started the thread thinks Mikelele is better than Yaya Toure. It is how Okokoborinko tried to compare Pogba with Iniesta using stats. I remember Spastic claiming that David Silva was better than Iniesta. Most of these are football illiterate arguments based on emotion, and usually coming from EPL groupies, who see Fake Ron as "their own". A bit like an English commentator who said about Thierry Henry: "born in France, but made in England".
They also say CR7 has accomplished more at international level solely on the evidence of Portugal winning Euro 2016:
...forgetting Portugal won the final with CR7 on the bench... :blink: :blink:
...forgetting Messi has out-performed CR7 at every WCup (except WCup2006 when Messi barely kicked a ball)

My understanding is that a large proportion of CR7 supporters are either EPL fans or ManU fans; or both...

The most logical performance yardstick must be la liga:
Messi & CR7 play in the same league week in week out (over the past 7 seasons); and encounter each other at least twice every season...
How come the gulf is so evident in a league where both players play over a full season?
People are shamelessly trying to rewrite history in front of our eyes :rotf:
You are acting as if Portugal played one game which was the Final to win Euro2016.
And you are now acting as if all those Ballon Dor were donation to Ronaldo foe free.
Hilarious stuff.
Being a Ronaldo hater must be the most frustrating job on earth as we approach another CL final where Ronaldo is helping his team from the bench :laugh:
People are shamelessly trying to rewrite history in front of our eyes...
Trumpology use of hyperbole to becloud a perfectly valid point... :laugh: :laugh:
I'm not sure any of my points suggest that CR7's Ballon Dor wins are not deserved...
What's your point?

By the way, I don't need to hate CR7 to acknowledge who is a better player between him & Messi...
Take emotions out of this endless debate, and you just might see the light...
When you emphasize that Portugal won the Euro final with CR7 on the bench it seems you are trying to imply that CR7 had very little impact on that competition.
It's a very.mischievous point.

You can praise Messi without trying to rubbish Ronaldo, otherwise you come across as a hater.
I think he is saying crediting the entire trophy on CRon is ridiculous especially since he did not play in the Final game.
CR helped his team get to the Euro Finals
Messi helped his team get to the WC finals, and COPA finals

in terms of comparison of the players that's where it has to end.
How is anyone crediting the entire trophy to Ronaldo
When people say Ronaldinho won a World Cup with Brazil, does it mean crediting the entire trophy to him ?

Because all along C Ronaldo has been criticised for not having won anything with Portugal, now that he has won it's a big problem :biggrin:
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

benteke wrote:
eyan wrote:I'm surprised that most guys turned this to CR vs Messi. Are those two the best since Pele? Are they better than Maradona? In my team at their peaks, I will pick real Ronaldo, Zidane and Ronaldinho before CR and Messi. And I believe Messi is a better footballer than CR. But football is more than goals and running around. CR and Messi are just about goals and running, players of nowadays have killed soccer acts. And CR is not a good team player, there have been many instances where he wld rather shoot than setting up another player. His assist shd have been more than that. I also believe Messi create more fear factor into the mind of the opponents than CR. At the end of the day, pple have to agree to disagree cos the way I see a player is different from the way u see view that same player.
Ronaldo used to be a proper team player at Man United and i recently saw an interview with Renee Meulensteen when he actually explains how they changed his focus towards more goalscoring, they changed his style at that point and around that season he won the EPL golden boot.
That does not mean he has always only been about goals, this is where i think some people are starting to rewrite history in front of my eyes which is laughable in this day in age.
And also take into account Ronaldo is now 32years old, he is quite old in footballing terms, and to still see him scoring hattricks at the highest levels of European football is something great.
Good. But because they turned him to goal doesn't mean he shdnt use his brain.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Oguleftie wrote:You young people should shut up.

c. Ronaldo hangs around the penalty box most of the 90 minutes; sometimes scoring offside goals.
Even Yekini will score all those goals if he hung around the penalty box as well as in offside position.
In the most modern era Zidane is even better than C. Ronaldo.

Messi is the only footballer that compares to Pele and Maradona.
You determine the highest level of footballers by how well they play in tight spaces.
Tight spaces? We need some CRon youtubes here. Both players have done it all on the football pitch. That's why we can't ignore stats at all levels. Cristiano Ronaldo is JUST TOO MUCH! Definitely up there with the all time greats.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

He's scored more goals than games played. Why pass the ball to a player if he can put it in the net? The Messi fear factor seems to only surface when he's coming with Xavi and Iniesta, unless ofcourse we're talking Nigeria....oops! He's just another talented argentine to S. American teams.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

felarey wrote:
He's scored more goals than games played. Why pass the ball to a player if he can put it in the net? The Messi fear factor seems to only surface when he's coming with Xavi and Iniesta, unless ofcourse we're talking Nigeria....oops! He's just another talented argentine to S. American teams.
Being an highest goal scorer doesn't mean u shdnt pass to a player in a better position especially when you know you Have reached a dead end. That's the only problem I have with him. During the last el Classico, Benzema was opened but CR choose to give a back to Barca keeper. Messi too has high scoring ratio but he takes better decisions than CR in most cases.
Last edited by eyan on Sat May 06, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Messi has taken argentina to world cup i finals in 2014. Portugal under Cron hasnt done jack at the world cup.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

eyan wrote:
benteke wrote:
i say it takes a lot of brain power to be the all time highest scorer in Champions League, the highest level of European club football.
That would be an astonishing feat when achieved by a natural no.9, and that makes it even more remarkable when we consider that this chap is not even a natural no.9
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

benteke wrote:
eyan wrote:
benteke wrote:
i say it takes a lot of brain power to be the all time highest scorer in Champions League, the highest level of European club football.
That would be an astonishing feat when achieved by a natural no.9, and that makes it even more remarkable when we consider that this chap is not even a natural no.9
as compared to a natural 9 like Messi?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:
eyan wrote:
benteke wrote:
Same for Messi.
I am not here to rubbish or hate on Messi, i am just answering those who are taking C.Ron's achievements lightly.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

benteke wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:
eyan wrote:
benteke wrote:
Same for Messi.
I am not here to rubbish or hate on Messi, i am just answering those who are taking C.Ron's achievements lightly.
:D :D :D :D
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

kali wrote:Messi has taken argentina to world cup i finals in 2014. Portugal under Cron hasnt done jack at the world cup.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
benteke wrote:
eyan wrote:
benteke wrote:
Same for Messi.
:D :D :D :D
actually i think it's a more remarkeble feat by Ronnie given that most of you are adamant that Messi is the one with more natural talent :taunt: :mrgreen:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote:

does he just showcase his leadership just at club level?
How many Argie games have you watched?
all the WC games.

2006, 2010, 2014

blistering in group games
anonymous in KO phase

but let's blame Higuain

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:
all the WC games.

2006, 2010, 2014

anonymous in KO phase

but let's blame Higuain
Did you see any leadership in any of those games?

PS: Argentina play more than WC games - you have qualifiers, Copa America, etc.
http://www.naijiant.com/
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote:
all the WC games.

2006, 2010, 2014

anonymous in KO phase

but let's blame Higuain
Did you see any leadership in any of those games?

PS: Argentina play more than WC games - you have qualifiers, Copa America, etc.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:
cic old boy wrote: Go and watch games. Or watch the last el clasico - not just the goals and see how games are decided even b/4 the goals are scored. "Leadership" is not about shouting. This another EPL-fuelled notion. We are not talking about the army and regimental sergeant-majors.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Yes.

You would rather be listening to one who has turned his back on the team as opposed to Masch who is rallying the troops

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:Yes.

You would rather be listening to one who has turned his back on the team as opposed to Masch who is rallying the troops
Games. Won. Lost. On. The. Pitch.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote:Yes.

Games. Won. Lost. On. The. Pitch.
which hotel is this pic taken?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:
which hotel is this pic taken?