This is the best footballer since Pele

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg
Re: This is the best footballer since Pele

Post by FATHER TIKO »

cic old boy wrote:
Cally wrote:Messi for me any day any time. Makes everyone around him better. Makes football delightful to watch. Is effective and efficient. Plays with his team mates. No contest here for me.
The easiest way to recognise people that don't know anything about football is when they say Fake Ron is better than Messi. The guy that started the thread thinks Mikelele is better than Yaya Toure. It is how Okokoborinko tried to compare Pogba with Iniesta using stats. I remember Spastic claiming that David Silva was better than Iniesta. Most of these are football illiterate arguments based on emotion, and usually coming from EPL groupies, who see Fake Ron as "their own". A bit like an English commentator who said about Thierry Henry: "born in France, but made in England".
They also say CR7 has accomplished more at international level solely on the evidence of Portugal winning Euro 2016:
...forgetting Portugal won the final with CR7 on the bench... :blink: :blink:
...forgetting Messi has out-performed CR7 at every WCup (except WCup2006 when Messi barely kicked a ball)

My understanding is that a large proportion of CR7 supporters are either EPL fans or ManU fans; or both...

The most logical performance yardstick must be la liga:
Messi & CR7 play in the same league week in week out (over the past 7 seasons); and encounter each other at least twice every season...
How come the gulf is so evident in a league where both players play over a full season?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
Cally wrote:Messi for me any day any time. Makes everyone around him better. Makes football delightful to watch. Is effective and efficient. Plays with his team mates. No contest here for me.
The easiest way to recognise people that don't know anything about football is when they say Fake Ron is better than Messi. The guy that started the thread thinks Mikelele is better than Yaya Toure. It is how Okokoborinko tried to compare Pogba with Iniesta using stats. I remember Spastic claiming that David Silva was better than Iniesta. Most of these are football illiterate arguments based on emotion, and usually coming from EPL groupies, who see Fake Ron as "their own". A bit like an English commentator who said about Thierry Henry: "born in France, but made in England".
They also say CR7 has accomplished more at international level solely on the evidence of Portugal winning Euro 2016:
...forgetting Messi has out-performed CR7 at every WCup (except WCup2006 when Messi barely kicked a ball)

My understanding is that a large proportion of CR7 supporters are either EPL fans or ManU fans; or both...

Messi & CR7 play in the same league week in week out (over the past 7 seasons); and encounter each other at least twice every season...
How come the gulf is so evident in a league where both players play over a full season?
People are shamelessly trying to rewrite history in front of our eyes :rotf:
You are acting as if Portugal played one game which was the Final to win Euro2016.
And you are now acting as if all those Ballon Dor were donation to Ronaldo foe free.
Hilarious stuff.
Being a Ronaldo hater must be the most frustrating job on earth as we approach another CL final where Ronaldo is helping his team from the bench :laugh:
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

You are acting as if Portugal played one game which was the Final to win Euro2016.
And you are now acting as if all those Ballon Dor were donation to Ronaldo foe free.
Hilarious stuff.
Being a Ronaldo hater must be the most frustrating job on earth as we approach another CL final where Ronaldo is helping his team from the bench :laugh:
People are shamelessly trying to rewrite history in front of our eyes...
Trumpology use of hyperbole to becloud a perfectly valid point... :laugh: :laugh:
I'm not sure any of my points suggest that CR7's Ballon Dor wins are not deserved...
What's your point?

By the way, I don't need to hate CR7 to acknowledge who is a better player between him & Messi...
Take emotions out of this endless debate, and you just might see the light...
- Bill Shankly
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Statistically, you can compare the two - they score dozens of goals each year. But in football terms, there is no comparison. Messi is simply a better footballer. It goes without saying. People that need to be told this, don't know much about football or are blinded by bias. I think even Fake Ron knows this. Footballers recognise game. This is why a few years ago, Gary Neville was bowing when he saw Kanu. Neville may have more trophies, but he knows who is the better player. Messi is more talented, has more ability, has a more all-round game and influences games even when he is not scoring. Ibra summed it up when he said Ronaldo is about training, Messi is about talent.

I don't even think Fake Ron is the best Portuguese player of the recent era. That was Luis Figo.
http://www.naijiant.com/
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Hilarious stuff.
Trumpology use of hyperbole to becloud a perfectly valid point... :laugh: :laugh:
I'm not sure any of my points suggest that CR7's Ballon Dor wins are not deserved...
What's your point?

By the way, I don't need to hate CR7 to acknowledge who is a better player between him & Messi...
When you emphasize that Portugal won the Euro final with CR7 on the bench it seems you are trying to imply that CR7 had very little impact on that competition.
It's a very.mischievous point.

You can praise Messi without trying to rubbish Ronaldo, otherwise you come across as a hater.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:Statistically, you can compare the two - they score dozens of goals each year. But in football terms, there is no comparison. Messi is simply a better footballer. It goes without saying. People that need to be told this, don't know much about football or are blinded by bias. I think even Fake Ron knows this. Footballers recognise game. This is why a few years ago, Gary Neville was bowing when he saw Kanu. Neville may have more trophies, but he knows who is the better player. Messi is more talented, has more ability, has a more all-round game and influences games even when he is not scoring. Ibra summed it up when he said Ronaldo is about training, Messi is about talent.

I don't even think Fake Ron is the best Portuguese player of the recent era. That was Luis Figo.
leadership? nope?

The Swede is not even the best Argentinian player.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

No matter how you twist and turn it, ronaldo is simply the greatest footballer since maradona. Ronaldo haters has used different excuses to trivialize his achievements. The current excuse is that "Ronaldo is just a product of training" (big lie) people that watched ronaldo at his early days at sporting and united can attest to the fact that Ronaldo was an extremely gifted/talented player. In fact, he was to gifted that fans started asking him to do more than just "mere tricks" Ronaldo trained harder and upgraded his game. Now, he scores with right,left,heading,shot,dribbling and every form of goals. I was one of ronaldo doubters but I have clearly regained my senses. The man is the greatest footballer to ever play in champions league history. Note, we have had so many legendary players at cl. This includes Ronaldo de Lima, Ronaldinho, Zidane, figo, Maldini,maradona,Romero, etc as painful as this sounds to (Ronaldo haters) he has surpassed those aforementioned players in champions league football. Ronaldo also inspired an okay Portugal team to eu cup. Ronaldo can end up winning 1 champions league and a World Cup yet people would still trivialize his achievements. People are just angry to see small Christiano become greater than their favorites players. Trivial question: if Ronaldo is just a product of training, how come there are no other 10 million footballers that can also be a product of training? Is it only Ronaldo that trains?
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote: leadership? nope?

Go and watch games. Or watch the last el clasico - not just the goals and see how games are decided even b/4 the goals are scored. "Leadership" is not about shouting. This another EPL-fuelled notion. We are not talking about the army and regimental sergeant-majors.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Hilarious stuff.
What's your point?

When you emphasize that Portugal won the Euro final with CR7 on the bench it seems you are trying to imply that CR7 had very little impact on that competition.

You can praise Messi without trying to rubbish Ronaldo, otherwise you come across as a hater.
So by your logic, you believe by default you rubbish Ronaldo by praising Messi..?
And so, you're by default a Messi hater..?

And by the way:
CR7 was on the bench during a major duration of the final game...FACT
Portugal won the definitive final game without him...FACT
Where is the mischief here... :???: :???:

Any suggestions of CR7's impact on the entire competition is all your own making...not me..
- Bill Shankly
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Hilarious stuff.
What's your point?

So by your logic, you believe by default you rubbish Ronaldo by praising Messi..?

And by the way:

Any suggestions of CR7's impact on the entire competition is all your own making...not me..
I think had Argentina won the WC finals with Messi on the bench, FakeRon worshippers would have been holding that against him. It is as if Messi didn't have a hand in Argentina getting to the finals.

Anyway, Big Ron over Fake Ron any day.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

is CRon even a better player than JJ Okocha?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Bottom-line is four years ago this would not even have been a thing of debate. More and more people are being forced to see that this dude is the real thing. Yes he was injured in the finals but if he had played I have no doubt he would have scored. He has done as much as Messi in Club football and Champions league and he has won with Portugal. If he wins back to back Champions league with Real, then that's another tale for his legend. Love him or loath him he is simply the best in his era.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

airwolex wrote:Bottom-line is four years ago this would not even have been a thing of debate. More and more people are being forced to see that this dude is the real thing. Yes he was injured in the finals but if he had played I have no doubt he would have scored. He has done as much as Messi in Club football and Champions league and he has won with Portugal. If he wins back to back Champions league with Real, then that's another tale for his legend. Love him or loath him he is simply the best in his era.

is he as good as JJ? Zidane nko?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Hilarious stuff.
What's your point?

And by the way:

Euro 2016 was not just one Final game, it was a competition with many games where Ronaldo helped his team massively.
If you want to concentrate on the final game and act as if that's all that matters in order to dimish Ronaldo, then it's not hard to see you are a hater.

But the guy keeps proving critics wrong, as Real is one step away from the CL final thanks to Ronaldo.
He answers on the football pitch :biggrin:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

airwolex wrote:Bottom-line is four years ago this would not even have been a thing of debate. More and more people are being forced to see that this dude is the real thing. Yes he was injured in the finals but if he had played I have no doubt he would have scored. He has done as much as Messi in Club football and Champions league and he has won with Portugal. If he wins back to back Champions league with Real, then that's another tale for his legend. Love him or loath him he is simply the best in his era.
This could be a very scary thought for his haters, they will be praying that Juventus wins the CL Final so they don't have to put up with the deserved praise :mrgreen:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Messi is the best footballer of this era, and many other eras too for that matter. There should be no debate about the obvious.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

cic old boy wrote:
tfco wrote: leadership? nope?

Go and watch games. Or watch the last el clasico - not just the goals and see how games are decided even b/4 the goals are scored. "Leadership" is not about shouting. This another EPL-fuelled notion. We are not talking about the army and regimental sergeant-majors.

does he just showcase his leadership just at club level?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

My opinion

Messi is a better footballer
Ronaldo is overall a better goalscorer, even though I think he is more wasteful at the same time.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
benteke wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
cic old boy wrote:

Hilarious stuff.
What's your point?

I think he is saying crediting the entire trophy on CRon is ridiculous especially since he did not play in the Final game.
CR helped his team get to the Euro Finals
Messi helped his team get to the WC finals, and COPA finals

in terms of comparison of the players that's where it has to end.
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

You young people should shut up.

c. Ronaldo hangs around the penalty box most of the 90 minutes; sometimes scoring offside goals.
Even Yekini will score all those goals if he hung around the penalty box as well as in offside position.
In the most modern era Zidane is even better than C. Ronaldo.

Messi is the only footballer that compares to Pele and Maradona.
You determine the highest level of footballers by how well they play in tight spaces.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

tfco wrote:

does he just showcase his leadership just at club level?
How many Argie games have you watched?
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

I'm surprised that most guys turned this to CR vs Messi. Are those two the best since Pele? Are they better than Maradona? In my team at their peaks, I will pick real Ronaldo, Zidane and Ronaldinho before CR and Messi. And I believe Messi is a better footballer than CR. But football is more than goals and running around. CR and Messi are just about goals and running, players of nowadays have killed soccer acts. And CR is not a good team player, there have been many instances where he wld rather shoot than setting up another player. His assist shd have been more than that. I also believe Messi create more fear factor into the mind of the opponents than CR. At the end of the day, pple have to agree to disagree cos the way I see a player is different from the way u see view that same player.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

BP and tfco are two confused midgets! Messi is best player ever since Pele and Maradona. If and when Messi win it all in Russia 2018, he will then be crown the best football player ever to play the game. CR is just a goal scorer and nothing more!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!