The most important position in the soccer field is?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
The most important position in the soccer field is?

Post by bamenda boy »

I just read an interview with Raymond Kall camfoot front page which he alludes to the central Axis of the defence being the most important position in a team.
But a lot of people always say it is the midfield.
Will like to get your thoughts on this matter.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: The most important position in the soccer field is?

Post by anointed »

We've heard of libero, sweeper, back four, lone striker, wing back, centre half, diver, headmasters but what about the adnemab taog role? Like everyone is praising Messi for the victory over Real, what about the guy Roberto that ferried the ball out of the defence beating like 4 players in the process or Ter Stergen who made 11 saves? That's how unsung and unrecognized the adnemab taog role is.

Those four footed that need to and cover every blade of the grass are the most important. Their work of chopping is too important to be overlooked. If they chop much, the arena looks like uneven Camerounian patchy football grounds the authorities are sweating night and day to get ready for the next afcon. On those pitches or those patches, if you play a back pass, it could enter one of the over chopped holes and you know it gives advantage to an on rushing attacker. On the other hand, if they don't chop enough, it will resemble Kenyan elephant grassland country side where if they are to host afcon, they will still not qualify cos with lots of improperly or inadequately chopped grass, once it resemble the country side, it becomes a cross country race and before you know it, everybody including the fans would have run across the border to Uganda whereas the tourney is right there in their Kenya. Can you even imagine Ghana ever coming to play afcon on a grassland like that? How are you going to see their players despite the fact that the cameras are positioned aerially?

Pls, appreciate the important position of the adnemab taog on the soccer field :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

One commentator even went and said that Striker is the most important, can't remember which match. I think it was the recent match Bayern V Real, when CRON was scoring.

I think the most common is somewhere in the midfield, but I am glad that people are referring to other departments, so there is no preconceived idea of how football is structured.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

There isn't one.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Tricky question that underlines the fact that every role is very important and 'the most' important is more of a matter of perspective. For example, A Man Utd without David de Gea under Moyes and Van Gaal could have been fighting relegation while a difficult to beat United of Mourinho with a Ruud van Nistelrooy would be champions in waiting by now. With a poor midfield the core defence could be the most important and with a porous defence the goalkeeper assumes a position of prime importance. Also, of what use is solid midfield, defence and goalkeeper without potent strikers? You can easily get stuck in 6th position if you don't bury your chances.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YemiBrazil wrote:Tricky question that underlines the fact that every role is very important and 'the most' important is more of a matter of perspective. For example, A Man Utd without David de Gea under Moyes and Van Gaal could have been fighting relegation while a difficult to beat United of Mourinho with a Ruud van Nistelrooy would be champions in waiting by now. With a poor midfield the core defence could be the most important and with a porous defence the goalkeeper assumes a position of prime importance. Also, of what use is solid midfield, defence and goalkeeper without potent strikers? You can easily get stuck in 6th position if you don't bury your chances.
KPOM. It is a matter of a particular team's perspective. You may claim it is those that play in the spine positions but that is arguable.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Cameroon just won the ANC without a midfield or attack(not literally) .
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

The centra defense
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Goalie for me.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

deanotito wrote:Goalie for me.
definitely - Goalie;
you might fail to score or even advance the ball
but Goalie makes it possible to not concede and still get a point.
yes we know that all position are important but to answer no need to intellectualize
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

jette1 wrote:
deanotito wrote:Goalie for me.
definitely - Goalie;
you might fail to score or even advance the ball
but Goalie makes it possible to not concede and still get a point.
yes we know that all position are important but to answer no need to intellectualize
Yep. A good goalie does wonders for a team, and inspires the defenders to play well. Its somewhat counter intuitive, but a defense is hobbled when defenders lack confidence in a goalie, and that oozes to the whole team. All positions are important, and in my mind, goalie is only marginally more important than the next in line. But its still first among "equals".

Other positions can be rendered less important by formation choices. Spain for instance, ruled the soccer world for about 5 years by deploying a "false nine". So if the CF/Top Striker is most important, how did Spain beat the world with a false 9? But Goalie...ain't no formation that can minimize importance of a good goalie.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

Defense for me. They can drag a team into extra time or frustrate the opposition.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
Alaafin
Egg
Egg

Post by Alaafin »

It has to be the goalie!

If a team has used all their substitutions and the goalie gets a red card, one of the field players gets converted and puts on gloves for the rest of the match! A coach can more readily adapt by changing formations to cover for the loss in any other position.

There is no formation without a goalie!!
Iku Baba Yeye; Alase Ikeji Orisa

He who has power over life and death; Second-in-Command to the gods
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

anointed wrote:We've heard of libero, sweeper, back four, lone striker, wing back, centre half, diver, headmasters but what about the adnemab taog role? Like everyone is praising Messi for the victory over Real, what about the guy Roberto that ferried the ball out of the defence beating like 4 players in the process or Ter Stergen who made 11 saves? That's how unsung and unrecognized the adnemab taog role is.

Those four footed that need to and cover every blade of the grass are the most important. Their work of chopping is too important to be overlooked. If they chop much, the arena looks like uneven Camerounian patchy football grounds the authorities are sweating night and day to get ready for the next afcon. On those pitches or those patches, if you play a back pass, it could enter one of the over chopped holes and you know it gives advantage to an on rushing attacker. On the other hand, if they don't chop enough, it will resemble Kenyan elephant grassland country side where if they are to host afcon, they will still not qualify cos with lots of improperly or inadequately chopped grass, once it resemble the country side, it becomes a cross country race and before you know it, everybody including the fans would have run across the border to Uganda whereas the tourney is right there in their Kenya. Can you even imagine Ghana ever coming to play afcon on a grassland like that? How are you going to see their players despite the fact that the cameras are positioned aerially?

Pls, appreciate the important position of the adnemab taog on the soccer field :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You clapped for yourself after posting whateve it is you just did?
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

What's the one position you can't do without in football -GK
Buy I have a feeling this is not the answer the originator of the thread was looking for.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Robotnik wrote:What's the one position you can't do without in football -GK
Buy I have a feeling this is not the answer the originator of the thread was looking for.
The originator of the thread was seeking for peoples opinions about what they think is the best position on the field.
The originator did not pick a position and declared it the best.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Playmaking position is most important position. Now that could be from the back, center, or upfront. The playmaker dictates what goes on on the field.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Where you have a weak link.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

bamenda boy wrote:
The originator of the thread was seeking for peoples opinions about what they think is the best position on the field.
The reason is because the answer is pretty straight forward.

Are we talking about just outfield players? Another story
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Robotnik wrote:
bamenda boy wrote:
The reason is because the answer is pretty straight forward.

Are we talking about just outfield players? Another story
If the answer was pretty straight forward, people will not be having different answers.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

what formation are we talking about?

PS: Spain won their second euros and France won the 1998 WC without a real striker.
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Olayemi14 wrote:Defense for me. They can drag a team into extra time or frustrate the opposition.
But if you can't score you can't win.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

kalani JR wrote:
Olayemi14 wrote:Defense for me. They can drag a team into extra time or frustrate the opposition.
But if you can't score you can't win.
And if you don't concede you can't lose either
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."