Agree with Southgate - English players overpaid

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Agree with Southgate - English players overpaid

Post by Cristao II »

England's Gareth Southgate says overpaid players lose edge

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-39809946

England football manager Gareth Southgate says the motivation of young players is being eroded by excessively high pay. He warned that millionaire youngsters were getting the wrong message from huge rewards before they had achieved any success. "They are intrinsically unmotivated, they lose a bit of an edge," said Mr Southgate. He also warned of players believing the "hype" around the Premier League. The England manager told the Boarding Schools Association conference that overpaid players were losing their hunger by getting too much money too early in their careers.

'Belief, but realistic belief'

"We're at fault as a sport and we could have changed that. We could pay players into trust funds or we could reduce the level," he said at the meeting in York. "The biggest problem is that we reward boys without them having had success. We're taking some of that motivation away." He suggested that an incremental rise in rewards could provide a better incentive. "But the very best will still come through, whatever they earn. But we're making it more difficult."

Mr Southgate said that the national team also faced pressures from unrealistic public expectations. He said that in the most recent England camp the players were given a reality check - and told that in the past 25 years England had only won a handful of games in the knock-out stages of international competitions. "We need belief, but realistic belief. What is possible? We're 14th in the world at the moment." And he says the players were told: "Whatever the hype around the Premier League, and whatever you read about yourself, there's a big world out there and some very good national teams.
"How are we going to be better than them?"

Fear of losing

Mr Southgate said that players needed to be able to shake off their inhibitions and fears about playing for England. "I think the danger is that we forget how we might win - and under pressure, we've reverted to worrying about what will happen if we lose. What kind of reaction will we get?" There have been growing concerns about mental health problems within sport - and Mr Southgate says that top-level footballers have to find ways to cope with "enormous anxiety", "self doubt" and the nagging question "can I do it today?" In the England set-up, he says the women's team are much better at talking about their feelings under pressure, but the men's team was "hard work". They don't want to show weakness in front of each other."

Mr Southgate says one of the biggest challenges is to get players, who are successful and comfortable in their club teams, to feel relaxed and integrated in a national squad. When he was a player himself, he said arriving at the England camp for the first time was an intimidating experience. "Even having dinner was an ordeal," he said. And for modern players, he says "the tendency is to go back to their rooms as quickly as possible". While as a manager and player, his working life had been dominated by league tables, he told this audience of head teachers that he did not approve of school league tables. Such tables pushed schools into taking short-term measures to boost their rankings - rather than valuing long-term development and wider experiences. In terms of what happens next for the England team, he said: "We're going to have to be better under pressure."
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Agree with Southgate - English players overpaid

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Luke Shaw, John Stones, Andy Carol,
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Agree with Southgate - English players overpaid

Post by oloye »

Average players being paid king's ransom! They are more than overpaid..it borders on robbery!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho