DOUBLE STANDARDS: FIFA LIFTS MESSI's BAN

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
DOUBLE STANDARDS: FIFA LIFTS MESSI's BAN

Post by anointed »

I guess they are looking at the WC marketability if Argentina fails to make it just like market sentiments may have been responsible for some of those Ballon D'or (e.g 2010) that went to Messi and/or CR when they never deserved it.

Has this kind of lame argument been used before to advance the cause of a player? Haven't fifa always relied on what its officials say? For, what the AR's testimony should have been okay. It's a bad precedent.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: DOUBLE STANDARDS: FIFA LIFTS MESSI's BAN

Post by anointed »

Lionel Messi ban lifted after Argentina successfully appeal against charge for verbally abusing assistant referee

Messi is eligible to play again for Argentina immediately and has also had his CHF 10,000 fine removed
Jack de Menezes |

Lionel Messi has had his four-match international ban for verbally abusing a match official lifted by Fifa after the Argentinian Football Association successfully appealed against the suspension, meaning he is eligible to play in all of their remaining 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

Messi served one of the four-game ban when he sat out Argentina’s 2-0 defeat by Bolivia on 28 March, five days after he was found to have verbally abused a linesman during the 1-0 victory against Chile.

Fifa were able to take retrospective action against the Barcelona forward as he was not reported for the alleged abuse by the match referee, with Fifa rules stating that bans should be “at least four matches for unsporting conduct toward a match official”.

Read more

Barca star Messi funds construction of 20 new classrooms in Syria

The Argentinian FA appealed the ban in the hope of having Messi available for their next World Cup qualifier, against Uruguay on 31 August, as well as the following matches against Venezuela and Peru, with the 29-year-old due to return for their final qualifier against Ecuador.

However, Fifa announced on Friday afternoon that the ban had been lifted as the “evidence available was not sufficient to establish” an infringement that required retrospective action to be taken.

A Fifa statement read: “The Fifa Appeal Committee has upheld the appeal lodged by the Argentinian Football Association, on behalf of the player Lionel Messi, against the decision taken by the Fifa Disciplinary Committee, lifting the sanctions imposed on him as a result.

“Following a hearing which took place in Zurich on 4 May 2017, the Appeal Committee has set aside the decision taken by the Fifa Disciplinary Committee on 28 March 2017, which, in application of art. 77 a) of the Fifa Disciplinary Code (FDC), had found Lionel Messi guilty of infringing art. 57 of the FDC for having directed insulting words at an assistant referee.

“Despite the fact that the Fifa Appeal Committee considered Lionel Messi’s behaviour as reproachable, the former concluded that the evidence available was not sufficient to establish to the appropriate standard, i.e. to the comfortable satisfaction of the members of the Appeal Committee, that art. 77 a) of the FDC, according to which the Disciplinary Committee is responsible for sanctioning serious infringements which have escaped the match officials’ attention, could be applied.

Messi will now be available for Argentina's remaining World Cup qualifiers (AFP)

It added: “In view of the above decision, the suspension for four matches imposed on Lionel Messi, which entered into force on 28 March 2017, and the fine of CHF 10,000 have been lifted.”

Fifa did use the statement to reaffirm their stance over the behaviour shown towards referees, though the removal of the ban completely – beyond the one match that Messi has already missed – triggers doubt over that approach.

“The Appeal Committee nevertheless underlines the importance of always showing respect to the match officials, stressing that such a principle is essential in football and any unsporting conduct that may be contrary to the principles of fair play cannot be accepted.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 19986.html
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

That ban could pass as one of the fastest ever.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Sad that is why i never some time give that cheat his due as a great player,the treatment Barca gave him as a kid also help his talent,so without the treatment he will not have won
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

anointed wrote:I guess they are looking at the WC marketability if Argentina fails to make it just like market sentiments may have been responsible for some of those Ballon D'or (e.g 2010) that went to Messi and/or CR when they never deserved it.

Has this kind of lame argument been used before to advance the cause of a player? Haven't fifa always relied on what its officials say? For, what the AR's testimony should have been okay. It's a bad precedent.

But the officials never reported the incident. What is more the ref is on record as saying they did not consider it serious...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

kajifu wrote:Sad that is why i never some time give that cheat his due as a great player,the treatment Barca gave him as a kid also help his talent,so without the treatment he will not have won
who is the cheat
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

txj wrote:
anointed wrote:I guess they are looking at the WC marketability if Argentina fails to make it just like market sentiments may have been responsible for some of those Ballon D'or (e.g 2010) that went to Messi and/or CR when they never deserved it.

But the officials never reported the incident. What is more the ref is on record as saying they did not consider it serious...
Ok, go on.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

kajifu wrote:Sad that is why i never some time give that cheat his due as a great player,the treatment Barca gave him as a kid also help his talent,so without the treatment he will not have won
That's a bit harsh.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

It was a terrible ban to begin with. So correcting a wrong is not news imho.

Double standard here is trying to use the ban of a super star as a statement and making a mountain out of a molehill. He deserves some punishment but for the incident in question, which we see all the time from most players, he deserve way less punishment.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."