APOY; Does Victor Moses deserve it?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: APOY; Does Victor Moses deserve it?

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote:If Vic Moses were to win it, I'd say Africa had a bad year in soccer.

Vic Moses should be in the lower single digits of contestants. He was good, and effective, but player of the year??? Naah
So if Mane wins it, its ok? Do not forget that Moses was a critical player in a championship winning team. If he wins the FA Cup, that will be a double for him. No one else gunning for the APOY can make a similar claim. To me if he goes on to play at similar level for the rest of the year and is critical for Nigeria on the way to WC qualification then he should be the APOY over all others.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

TheHitman47 wrote:This APOY is going to be tough. There weren't too many players that were good all around at both the AFCON and for their club. I would like to say Aboubakar but he only scored 1 goal at the AFCON. If we win all of our games this year and Chelsea wins the FA Cup with Moses in the squad, it should clearly be Victor.
Why? Lets do an exercise...rate the first 11 of Chelsea in order of importance to the team. My suspicion is that VM would rank around #5. For all his marauding, he only has 4 goals and 2 assists.

Lets switch to Nigeria...over the past year...rank the most important players...VM likely ranks #3 or #4.

I like VM, and have enjoyed his play this season, but I'd like to think the APOY has a higher impact at club/country than VM. If he wins APOY, it well and simply was a down year for Africa.

Perhaps I'm blessed because I haven't followed a lot of african footballers this past season, but I have followed Victor...and I well and truly hope we had more accomplished folk in football.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:If Vic Moses were to win it, I'd say Africa had a bad year in soccer.

Vic Moses should be in the lower single digits of contestants. He was good, and effective, but player of the year??? Naah
So if Mane wins it, its ok? Do not forget that Moses was a critical player in a championship winning team. If he wins the FA Cup, that will be a double for him. No one else gunning for the APOY can make a similar claim. To me if he goes on to play at similar level for the rest of the year and is critical for Nigeria on the way to WC qualification then he should be the APOY over all others.
Not saying VM wasn't critical, but was he important enough to win APOY? I hope not. That spells a pretty down year for Africa. Football awards tend to fall to strikers for obvious reasons, and after that, play-makers of some sort. What do we give Victor this award for? What was his production? 4 goals/2 assists. Yes, I know he gave them width...but we don't give APOY for width.

I'll say again...I like VM, and I'm happy he plays for the SE...he stepped up his game this year...But what exactly are we basing this award on? It simply cannot be being an effective part of a winning team.
Last edited by deanotito on Tue May 16, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

I am pleasantly surprised to see that a lot of Nigerian CE's are looking at this APOY iseue objectively.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Enugu II wrote:
Tbite wrote:As a Nigerian and a Vic Mo supporter for many years now, I would say yes.

but then I would be a hypocrite. I don't think Yaya should have won it some of the times he did. Enyeama and Mikel should have!

You can't just succeed in the EPL, do little in the NT that year and deserve to win APOY.

I mean we are the ones who make the rules, APOY can be whatever we want it to be, it could just be the best African player fullstop, it could even include players of African descent, we are the ones who make the rules....but I think a good parameter should include those who perform FOR Africa, in addition to whatever else they do.

I think it's important for Africa more than any continent.

but seeing as how Nigeria has been robbed so many times, I think this form of thinking should take effect AFTER Vic Mo. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I KPOM the highlighted. If a guy cannot dominate when wearing the colors of his AFRICAN COUNTRY or AFRICAN CLUB then he should have no business winning the APOY even if he is the best player in his European club.
Unfortunately, CAF itself, the owner of the award, has watered down the award by using the popular performance in the likes of EPL, La Liga atc as its yardstick.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

anointed wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Tbite wrote:As a Nigerian and a Vic Mo supporter for many years now, I would say yes.

but then I would be a hypocrite. I don't think Yaya should have won it some of the times he did. Enyeama and Mikel should have!

You can't just succeed in the EPL, do little in the NT that year and deserve to win APOY.

I mean we are the ones who make the rules, APOY can be whatever we want it to be, it could just be the best African player fullstop, it could even include players of African descent, we are the ones who make the rules....but I think a good parameter should include those who perform FOR Africa, in addition to whatever else they do.

I think it's important for Africa more than any continent.

but seeing as how Nigeria has been robbed so many times, I think this form of thinking should take effect AFTER Vic Mo. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I KPOM the highlighted. If a guy cannot dominate when wearing the colors of his AFRICAN COUNTRY or AFRICAN CLUB then he should have no business winning the APOY even if he is the best player in his European club.
Unfortunately, CAF itself, the owner of the award, has watered down the award by using the popular performance in the likes of EPL, La Liga atc as its yardstick.
What a shame!!! You are correct going by recent awards.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

paj wrote:
Undertaker wrote:Mane is the APOY! VM had a ok season but nothing special!
helping a team win EPL is nothing Special? :shock:
So if your team wins the EPL, then you must be special?
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

truetalk wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:Cough cough Moukandjo
Carry that whooping cough away from here. He is not even the best African in Ligue 1

Moses should be in the shortlist of the top 3 with Mane and Auba, but I think Aubameyang just takes it ahead of Mane.

29 goals in the Bundesliga with only one coming from a penalty is no joke.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-39261609
11:34
Ivory Coast and Nice midfielder Jean Michael Seri has been named best African player in France's Ligue 1.

The 25-year-old picked up the Marc-Vivien Foe trophy after finishing ahead of Algeria's Ryad Boudebouz (Montpellier) and Cameroon's Nations Cup winning captain Benjamin Moukandjo (Lorient).
Did I say the trophy is His? I am just saying he deserves to be in the running. He captained his country to win the nations cup, plus was among the top scorers in the French league. The Marc Vivien Foe trophy that he missed can be arguable, cause he had a much better season than the Ivorian, both club and national team wise. Aubameyang had an excellent season clubwise and based on that he deserves to win it, but he did not step up for his country when needed. Victor Moses likewise.

At the end of the day, it is on the national team captains and coaches who will decide the best player. To me it is a tough decision, because the above mentioned names all deserve it. Let's see
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

paj wrote:
Rogermilla wrote:Cough cough Moukandjo
..who??what sport does he play? :blink:
Fishing
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

YES!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!