Pep Guardiola: Manchester City is NOT a big club

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Pep Guardiola: Manchester City is NOT a big club

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote::lol:
No mind the guy! Talking about "I went to BeingSport to talk" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You went there and started making up terms and definitions. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow, he will go to Bein in his dream and tell them about "Beautiful Team" Or "Sexy team".. and define it as a team that plays "beauriffffffully" :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

tfco wrote:i agree with txj. Pool is a big (name) club

he's just not explaining it well.

Certain clubs immediately come to mind when you mention a country. Those are big clubs

Argentina - Boca
France - OM
Eng - United, Pool

etc

I believe I've explained it well. I have offered the criteria that distinguishes the two classifications.

Problem with the reaction here is two-fold: first from tribal affiliations and second from those who are incapable of independent thought and rely on some notion of authority to tell them what to believe. I bet if I was oyinbo writing this in a blog the'll be posting links...
Last edited by txj on Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Ironically, according to Pep, one of the requirements of a big club is ambition and pressure to win NOW or you get fired. In England, only two clubs currently meet that criteria and Liverpool sure isn't one of them.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Where's spastic? I told him City is not a big club and he threw a fit. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, in the UK, Man United and Liverpool are the biggest clubs in the country - top tier. Then the rest.

Meanwhile, I'd like to congratulate Chelsea for winning their 9th league title - they've now reached the same number of titles as Sunderland. :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

green4life wrote:Ironically, according to Pep, one of the requirements of a big club is ambition and pressure to win NOW or you get fired. In England, only two clubs currently meet that criteria and Liverpool sure isn't one of them.
Wrong.

Take it from someone who grew up around the game in the UK, follows the game closely, and doesn't haven't a dog in this fight. And let me tell you, history counts for a lot among UK fans and the media. The two biggest clubs in the UK are Man United and Liverpool. Period.

Any objective person will tell you this. The likes of Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea and Man City are currently top teams but not in the same level as the big two. Man City are arguably not even on the same tier as Aston Villa and Everton.

Only a Johnny Just Come (or Johnny Come Lately) will tell you otherwise. The same people would have described Blackburn as a big club in the mid-90s.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:Ironically, according to Pep, one of the requirements of a big club is ambition and pressure to win NOW or you get fired. In England, only two clubs currently meet that criteria and Liverpool sure isn't one of them.
Nothing ironic about that. It is simply one of several criteria.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Wrong.

Take it from someone who grew up around the game in the UK, follows the game closely, and doesn't haven't a dog in this fight. And let me tell you, history counts for a lot among UK fans and the media. The two biggest clubs in the UK are Man United and Liverpool. Period.

Any objective person will tell you this. The likes of Arsenal and to a lesser extent Chelsea and Man City are currently top teams but not in the same level as the big two. Man City are arguably not even on the same tier as Aston Villa and Everton.

Only a Johnny Just Come (or Johnny Come Lately) will tell you otherwise. The same people would have described Blackburn as a big club in the mid-90s.
In my opinion, the application of 'big club' to a club is transient. It has to be else we would be naming certain clubs such as Aston Villa and Everton who were among the top winners in the old First Division (afterall I agree with the English - football didn't start in England with the EPL) and who cant compete at present. At present over the last 17 years, the big clubs in England are Chelsea, City, United, Arsenal, Liverpool.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Based on the definition Ajax is a big club but I bet you that Pep would never consider coaching there at this point of his career. Another thought to ponder for the traditionalists

By the way, is Klopp under pressure of losing his job if pool doesn't finish fourth? No. Again, pay close attention to what Pep said regarding big vs not Big club
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:Based on the definition Ajax is a big club but I bet you that Pep would never consider coaching there at this point of his career. Another thought to ponder for the traditionalists

By the way, is Klopp under pressure of losing his job if pool doesn't finish fourth? No. Again, pay close attention to what Pep said regarding big vs not Big club
If the Eredivisie was among the top 3 leagues in Europe, then Pep would be interested. The marketability and quality of the Dutch league has dropped. However in Netherlands, Ajax is a big club alongside PSV and Feyernoord.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Let me clarify wrt to my objection of summarily including pool in the big club. Obviously their history speaks for itself but that's where it ends over the last twenty years. They've been in a title race only once over the last 20+ yrs. They can barely convince big players to sign and the few that sign can't wait to get out of Dodge.

I kinda know the feeling being a redskins fan: Definitely one of the biggest NFL teams in America. Revenues, top 3. Splash cash on big players? Check. Silverware? 3 Superbowls. Check. Fan base? You saw how many rg3 shirts they sold. Record breaking. But at the end of the day, the ultimate question is when were they last in a Superbowl event? 1992. So yes, while the skins are Big in mouth, sadly the must be big on the pitch in order to take their deserved seat. Same applies to Liverpool.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cristao II wrote:
green4life wrote:Based on the definition Ajax is a big club but I bet you that Pep would never consider coaching there at this point of his career. Another thought to ponder for the traditionalists

If the Eredivisie was among the top 3 leagues in Europe, then Pep would be interested. The marketability and quality of the Dutch league has dropped. However in Netherlands, Ajax is a big club alongside PSV and Feyernoord.
Pep doesn't see it solely as a matter of history. The ambition to win in the short term is very relevant to him. Klopp is entering his third season with zero pressure on his back. That doesn't meet his definition. Meanwhile, José is facing a do or die situation next Wednesday. ManU is historically big and their manager feels the pressure in the present. Surely meets Pep's definition
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

You people would be shocked to find out the likes of Nottingham Forrest and Preston North End are bigger clubs than some teams currently in the EPL. Definition of a "BIG CLUB" is not limited to present happenings of recent past.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

Pep doesn't see it solely as a matter of history. The ambition to win in the short term is very relevant to him. Klopp is entering his third season with zero pressure on his back. That doesn't meet his definition. Meanwhile, José is facing a do or die situation next Wednesday. ManU is historically big and their manager feels the pressure in the present. Surely meets Pep's definition
I agree with you in principle. In Europe, Ajax is no longer expected to win the CL if they qualify for it. They are no longer a big club in Europe. Barcelona, Juventus. Real Madrid, Bayern expect to win it.

Ditto the application of the same logic to Liverpool in the EPL - Realistically only 4 teams are expected to compete for the title - Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. Realistic football fans will not demand the same of Spurs and Liverpool.

This is precisely why I am upset with Pep on his statement that City is not a big club. They are at present.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cristao, I agree with you. I'm not belittling Liverpool. Just noting that there's historical theory which doesn't always align with reality. The two must be given equal consideration. By the way, based on my definition, Chelsea doesn't yet qualify though they're heading the right direction.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Pressure means expectation which I already identified as a factor. The problem with your analysis is failure to recognize that factors cannot be considered in isolation...

As for Klopp, of course he is under pressure. Failure to fire him is not necessarily an indication of lack of pressure. The decision to fire or retain a coach is multi-factorial...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cristao II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

I agree with you in principle. In Europe, Ajax is no longer expected to win the CL if they qualify for it. They are no longer a big club in Europe. Barcelona, Juventus. Real Madrid, Bayern expect to win it.

Ditto the application of the same logic to Liverpool in the EPL - Realistically only 4 teams are expected to compete for the title - Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal. Realistic football fans will not demand the same of Spurs and Liverpool.

This is precisely why I am upset with Pep on his statement that City is not a big club. They are at present.

I think you should speak for spuds fans only...That is certainly not a reflection of the dominant view among Liverpool fans.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:Let me clarify wrt to my objection of summarily including pool in the big club. Obviously their history speaks for itself but that's where it ends over the last twenty years. They've been in a title race only once over the last 20+ yrs. They can barely convince big players to sign and the few that sign can't wait to get out of Dodge.

I kinda know the feeling being a redskins fan: Definitely one of the biggest NFL teams in America. Revenues, top 3. Splash cash on big players? Check. Silverware? 3 Superbowls. Check. Fan base? You saw how many rg3 shirts they sold. Record breaking. But at the end of the day, the ultimate question is when were they last in a Superbowl event? 1992. So yes, while the skins are Big in mouth, sadly the must be big on the pitch in order to take their deserved seat. Same applies to Liverpool.
Winning a title is only one of several factors. Your point is baseless...Convincing big players to sign is simply an indication of transfer strategy and budget...

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

txj wrote:
Cristao II wrote:
green4life wrote:
Cristao II wrote:

I think you should speak for spuds fans only...That is certainly not a reflection of the dominant view among Liverpool fans.
As I said, realistic fans.

HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Guys:

What teams will you consider as

1. Sexy teams
2. Orgasmic teams
3. Beautiful teams
4. Team of the Teams
5. Low Teams
6. Ashawo Teams

I have looked at Bein Sports, and I dont think their Nigerian village i.di.ot has appeared lately to define those terms. Thanks :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?