U-20 WC THREAD - 2017

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: U-20 WC THREAD - 2017

Post by green4life »

marutimon wrote:
green4life wrote:
marutimon wrote:
green4life wrote:
marutimon wrote:To be fair also Italy were ultra-cynical and this is the first indictment of the video referee, who missed a clear stamp on the Zambian player in extra time.

Italy should have been down to 9 men in a fair world. In this unfair cynical world the player that should've been red-carded, leaving Zambia to play 11 vs 9 for 30 minutes, ended up scoring the winner for Italy.

If this match had been refereed according to the rulebook Italy would not have won (at least not without penalties).
I hear you but still Zambia had a multitude of quality opportunities to kill the game in regulation. Refs are human beings - inherently imperfect. Meanwhile that same ref reduced Italy to 10 men in the first half and with Zambia already nursing a 1-0 lead. The thing is when you are on top of your opponent, you must make it count because you can be sure that that quality of opposition will surely carve out their own opportunities. Zambia was wasteful and it cost them not the ref.
Sure. They could have and should have killed the game.
But the facts are:
- The first red was a textbook red according to the rules
- The second Italy goal came off of an Italy dive
- Italy should have been down to 9 men after a dreadful stamp and the guy that shouldn't even be on the field won Italy the game.

So sure - attack the Zambian tactics, but don't sugarcoat the fact that Zambia got the short end of the stick with Italy manipulating the rulebook to their own cynical ends. If this had been played out according to the rulebook Zambia would likely have won the game (with a good chance of extra time going to penalties).
Bro, that is a classic losers explanation (Not calling you a loser). Every club or country that has won something big does it at some point in time or another along the way. You will not always be able to dance your way all the way to the trophy. That will be naive thinking. Even Barca gets down and dirty when stuff hits the fan. They do whatever they need to do to win. So it's not just Italy but a common trait found in winners. Sometimes you will hit a brick wall. You will play 1 man down. And will even have to endure through questionable referee decisions: Yes, that too is part of the game. But you do what you need to do to win. History doesn't celebrate losers. Zambia has no credible explanation for the loss. And this wasn't even Italy's strongest team given many stayed behind to prepare for the Euro u-21 tourney this summer.
It's lazy to accept bad ref decisions to be part of the game. And secondly Barca is the dirtiest big team in football so terrible example.
Show me a winner and I'll show you a team (club or country) that used a cynical trick or two to their advantage. Classic example in Africa is Egypt - count it - 7 times ANC titles won. I can go on and on but no need. Suffice it to say that all the experienced winners have a deep bag of cynical tricks to go to during desperate moments en route to a title. You might not like it but its what it is and it works from time to time.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Didn't the Ref give the Italians a phantom red card on a non existent foul? There wasn't any commentaries were I was watching so let me know. Nevertheless from what I watched the Italos deserved it. They are always mentally strong and tactically astute at all levels.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I am watching the replay of the US - Venezuela game and I think Klinsman's son is going to be the next world class goalkeeper if he continues like this. US would be have been down 10 - 0 but for him.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

airwolex wrote:Didn't the Ref give the Italians a phantom red card on a non existent foul?
There was a foul and it was a textbook red card. The player was at full flight and got pushed delicately, but strongly enough to put him off balance. It was cheeky, cynical and done in true Italian fashion - looked inncuous but was a foul nonetheless. And since it was to prevent a goal it was also a clear red card. But people who don't know the rules will claim differently.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

marutimon wrote:
airwolex wrote:Didn't the Ref give the Italians a phantom red card on a non existent foul?
There was a foul and it was a textbook red card. The player was at full flight and got pushed delicately, but strongly enough to put him off balance. It was cheeky, cynical and done in true Italian fashion - looked inncuous but was a foul nonetheless. And since it was to prevent a goal it was also a clear red card. But people who don't know the rules will claim differently.
:clap: :clap: spot on

outside the box, it would be a FK with no card

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

tfco wrote:
marutimon wrote:
:clap: :clap: spot on

outside the box, it would be a FK with no card
Really? I think it would be a red card even outside the box.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Venezuela beats Uruguay on PKs to reach the final.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

In the other game, Orsolini scores in the 3rd minute to put Italy up 1-0 against England.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Italian cunny cunny led to that goal. Italy took an extremely quick FK, while the England players were at sea. Take the ball to the left, cross into the middle where a crowd of Italians are waiting to tap the ball in. Orsolini did the honors.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Interesting format of taking PKs in the Uruguay Venezuela match. Instead of the usual turn by turn, the teams were taking PKs two in a row. Uruguay takes 2 PKs, then Venezuela takes 2, then Uruguay takes two, etc.

Wha choo looking at?!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Seyi Ojo has been unplayable since coming in and has been instrumental in this England come back and dominance .... England should on chances created be leading by at least three but it's still 1-1
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Lookman puts England ahead 2-1!!!

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

After Solanke tied it up for England. Chei, Naija bailing England out, again!!!!! :taunt: :taunt:

Wha choo looking at?!
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

The Naija boys are driving the England bus to the final.

Ojo has been unplayable since coming on and his 2 crosses have been turned in by Solanke and Lookman!

2 - 1 England!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

This Seyi Ojo boy is a really good player.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Naija, bailing England out since 1870 abi na 1871? :mrgreen:

Goddamn tea drinking leeches :taunt:

Wha choo looking at?!
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Solankeeee!!!! 3 - 1 England!

Onto the final!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Solanke is gifted his second by the Italian goalie and England will be going through to the finals 1-3

Kudos to the Young Nigerian Three Lions team :tic:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

What a belter by Solanke to make it 3-1!!! :woot: :woot:

Wha choo looking at?!
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

LOL. Sholanke by 2 makes it 3 - 1.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Oh their parents must be so proud of them right now! I'm proud of them! :clap:
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

FT. Ciao Italia :taunt: :taunt:

Wha choo looking at?!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Solanke 2, Lookman 1, Ojo 2 assists, Italy sayonara.

Venezuela in the final

This is the first time I'm seeing Solanke really show his potential. Ojo has that Naija flair and Lookman has it times 2. Onomah should be available for the finals but that Arsenal boy that looks like Shaft dey ball as well.
Last edited by airwolex on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.