Peterside Idah: I was Like a Slave to Amokachi......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Peterside Idah: I was Like a Slave to Amokachi......

Post by furiously frank »

It's called intimidation.
I remember when one of our clubs was going to play a Togolese side. Someone from then NFA informed the driver to drive the team through Yaba end from Sheraton hotel and go through Ikoyi and VI showing them all the houses and then come back to National Stadium. By the time they arrive with wow wah they could not believe a place in Africa will have such houses...
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

furiously frank wrote:It's called intimidation.
I remember when one of our clubs was going to play a Togolese side. Someone from then NFA informed the driver to drive the team through Yaba end from Sheraton hotel and go through Ikoyi and VI showing them all the houses and then come back to National Stadium. By the time they arrive with wow wah they could not believe a place in Africa will have such houses...
FF,

Dat one na psychological torture. :rotf: :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Mesmerizing read from Oloye. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: At the end of the day, whether playing football, living at home or working at a company, there is always a pecking order and everything evolves according to such.

Wha choo looking at?!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:The truth is being a local based player was a bad experience in the camp then, the gap in class was just too wide, you have to be very very confident in yourself to even be able to stand up.
I mean these guys stroll into camp in their flashy cars , speaking french and even german language. You cannot even sit in their midst ...for crying out loud they are speaking in french and discussing how they are going to play against Oliver Khan, Vialli or some other widely known stars that you read about or watch on tv. Who born you? All we do is bunch up together like a bunch of star struck kids...to eavesdrop on the jist where they are generous enough to speak in english.

The youngest ones in the camp them were the richest and the flashiest. JJ was JJ very flashy and naughty...he was not proud or arrogant but he had this way of staying to himself. He was close with Amo...you are most likely to see the two together.

Ikpeba was flashy, arrogant, brash and loud...he was a typical bini boy, he speaks english sparingly..the prince of Monaco thingy i think got into hos head.

Amo was flash, strange he was trying to put on this image of an ajebota which i find baffling..he speaks with the typical naija posh ajebota accent..a bit of cockiness. But these three were young then and they acted it.

Amuneke was different, even when he signed that mega deal that took him from Zamalek to Portugal, he was still down to earth. I remember my first time in camp he was the one who came to me to ask me if i remember the last time we played against one another.

Finidi was another one, he would float with the foreign crew when he had to, but he would not hesistate to be seen in the midst of the local lads.

I enjoyed the company of Uche Okafor and Iroha more, these two i know very well back in the league having played each other severally in their days as eyimba stars in the lower divisions.

They appear not to be accepted into the clib of the young and rich boys, so they formed themselves into what i would call the elders. Of course the Aba bond was strong as Uche Okey belongs here too. Now talking of Uche Okey, to be honest he was the biggest star in the 90s even money wise, he was a big star in Turkey, but he was a gentle guy...a cool guy whom you will hardly hear speak.

Now talk of Mutiu ....the most humble of them all, he is one lad who loves to be with his buddies we the home lads. As for Yeking...he was another down to earth one, in fact you will have to be reminded he is based abroad. He would have the camp in stiches with his jokes, with Mutiu you know where to find him..in the midst of the talakwas.

Baba Keshi was the boss,the aura around him was unbelievable,i doubt of anyone would ever wield such in the national team again. I was reading Ajibade's story how he used to leave the room for Keshi just because he was too intimidated to be in the same room. It was only when Keshi called him and told him to stop behaving like that he could muster the courage.

Eguavoen was a perfect gentleman, forget his hardman image on the field. If Ikpeba cut the image of a bini guy from Akpakpava area,Egu cuts the image of the bini man from the GRA.

Truth is the gap was too wide ,you have to be there to understand what Peterside is trying to narrate here!
Na wa o! see as you waya bini boys. Wetin dem do you?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

danfo driver wrote:
oloye wrote:The truth is being a local based player was a bad experience in the camp then, the gap in class was just too wide, you have to be very very confident in yourself to even be able to stand up.
I mean these guys stroll into camp in their flashy cars , speaking french and even german language. You cannot even sit in their midst ...for crying out loud they are speaking in french and discussing how they are going to play against Oliver Khan, Vialli or some other widely known stars that you read about or watch on tv. Who born you? All we do is bunch up together like a bunch of star struck kids...to eavesdrop on the jist where they are generous enough to speak in english.

The youngest ones in the camp them were the richest and the flashiest. JJ was JJ very flashy and naughty...he was not proud or arrogant but he had this way of staying to himself. He was close with Amo...you are most likely to see the two together.

Ikpeba was flashy, arrogant, brash and loud...he was a typical bini boy, he speaks english sparingly..the prince of Monaco thingy i think got into hos head.

Amo was flash, strange he was trying to put on this image of an ajebota which i find baffling..he speaks with the typical naija posh ajebota accent..a bit of cockiness. But these three were young then and they acted it.

Amuneke was different, even when he signed that mega deal that took him from Zamalek to Portugal, he was still down to earth. I remember my first time in camp he was the one who came to me to ask me if i remember the last time we played against one another.

Finidi was another one, he would float with the foreign crew when he had to, but he would not hesistate to be seen in the midst of the local lads.

I enjoyed the company of Uche Okafor and Iroha more, these two i know very well back in the league having played each other severally in their days as eyimba stars in the lower divisions.

They appear not to be accepted into the clib of the young and rich boys, so they formed themselves into what i would call the elders. Of course the Aba bond was strong as Uche Okey belongs here too. Now talking of Uche Okey, to be honest he was the biggest star in the 90s even money wise, he was a big star in Turkey, but he was a gentle guy...a cool guy whom you will hardly hear speak.

Now talk of Mutiu ....the most humble of them all, he is one lad who loves to be with his buddies we the home lads. As for Yeking...he was another down to earth one, in fact you will have to be reminded he is based abroad. He would have the camp in stiches with his jokes, with Mutiu you know where to find him..in the midst of the talakwas.

Baba Keshi was the boss,the aura around him was unbelievable,i doubt of anyone would ever wield such in the national team again. I was reading Ajibade's story how he used to leave the room for Keshi just because he was too intimidated to be in the same room. It was only when Keshi called him and told him to stop behaving like that he could muster the courage.

Eguavoen was a perfect gentleman, forget his hardman image on the field. If Ikpeba cut the image of a bini guy from Akpakpava area,Egu cuts the image of the bini man from the GRA.

Truth is the gap was too wide ,you have to be there to understand what Peterside is trying to narrate here!
Ikpeba was a real hooligan. Was he not the one who allegedly told a home-based teammate that went to celebrate with him after scoring "na you and who be mate wey you want hug"?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Ikpeba was a real hooligan. Was he not the one who allegedly told a home-based teammate that went to celebrate with him after scoring "na you and who be mate wey you want hug"?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

When Westerhoff wanted to drop him from the WC 94 team for in form Babangida...he sent some area boys to threaten Westerhoff to toe the line and bot to mess up with the prince of Monaco! Geez bobo was something else, je will waka pass the home lads like they were from the an ebola ingested region.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

oloye wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

When Westerhoff wanted to drop him from the WC 94 team for in form Babangida...he sent some area boys to threaten Westerhoff to toe the line and bot to mess up with the prince of Monaco! Geez bobo was something else, je will waka pass the home lads like they were from the an ebola ingested region.
He was also the same to fans. I remember being around those players in 1998 pre and during the world cup. Ikpeba and Oruma were something else. Arrogant and obnoxious, both of them. Uche Okey and Mutiu were really nice fellows.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Enugu II wrote:
Idah: I Was Like A Slave To Amokachi In Super Eagles; Baxter Is A Noise Maker
23 MAY 2017
AFCON, HEADLINES, TOP STORIES
By Izuchukwu Okosi:

Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Idah Peterside on Tuesday revealed that he was "like a slave" to Daniel Amokachi in the national team camp, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Speaking on a live breakfast television show, 'Sunrise Daily' on Channels Television, Idah disclosed that he and the former Nigeria striker were always roommates whenever they lodged at hotels during international matches for Nigeria.

The former Sharks of Port Harcourt and Orlando Pirates of South Africa goalkeeper was a guest on the programme and spoke about the development of the league in South Africa post apartheid era in comparison to the Nigeria professional Football League.

"To equate the development in both countries' leagues, it depends if you're talking about remuneration," Idah who is now a sports pundit with a popular pay television station and a pastor in South Africa said on Channels Television.

"When I was in Nigeria, Enyimba FC of Aba was my last club before I went to Israel and my salary then was 7,000 Naira in 1998. And when I moved to South Africa, my first salary was like 4 million naira when converted to the Nigerian naira. It was unbelievable.

"I was a national team player quite alright, but that's not the thing. In South Africa they have sponsors for clubs, it was not because I was the best.

"There are players now that earn up to 10 million naira in the South African league, that is when you convert from Rand to Naira. The least earner will be earning an equivalent of say 1 million Naira.

"When I was playing for Nigeria, I felt like a slave to Daniel Amokachi. He was my roommate. I was a home-based player and Daniel was always my roommate. There was a bed here and another there," Idah said gesticulating.

"When we went for a game in Ethiopia, he would bring out a wallet full of dollars and ask "oh boy you go drink coke?" But meanwhile, on the table there is a bundle of dollars. it was a very intimidating. And you cannot steal it because he is your teammate, it's not fair.

"You go to training and when you tackle them, they tell you "don't spoil my career for me o." It was quite intimidating.

Idah called on more private sector participation in the running of the Nigerian League.

"More sponsors and organisations need to be involved more in our league. I had fights with the NFF.

"At a point they tagged me a rebel. We make a lot of noise here in Nigeria. We hear about the League Management Company, we don't need to hear about them, its the players that are more important to us.

"You cannot even buy a car in the Nigerian league with just your salaries except you won title and the state governments appreciate you. I was at a game in Port Harcourt sometime ago and the players were boarding taxis and bikes.

"You have to invest in the players. There should be laws to sign agreements with the players. Do you know how much Opera must have given Victor Moses for being their ambassador?," the former international added.

Idah also stressed that Nigerians should not be bothered about Bafana Bafana of South Africa coach Staurt Baxter's vow to monitor the progress of Nigeria stars ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on June 10.

"Baxter is a noise maker. They (South Africa national team) fear us. We intimidated them, fear is another level of respect.

"We lost that fear factor but this present Super Eagles are good. There is this presence about Nigerians wherever we entered," the former keeper stated.

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/id ... cT3Hmdy.99
Did Idah win more than 2 caps for SE?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Ikpeba always came across like a twat. You hear that, Maceo? :lol:

Oloye, any tori on Kanu and Oliseh and Tijani Babangida?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Oloye's writeup gives understanding to why some coaches set the language in camp. LVG did this at Man Utd. Amo was crazy for displaying a wad of $$$$ then asking if he wants to drink coke. :lol: That experience seems to have stayed with Idah for him to say he was like a slave to Amo.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote:Oloye's writeup gives understanding to why some coaches set the language in camp. LVG did this at Man Utd. Amo was crazy for displaying a wad of $$$$ then asking if he wants to drink coke. :lol: That experience seems to have stayed with Idah for him to say he was like a slave to Amo.
I can guarantee you that today, if you offer Idah Coke or Fanta, the bobo go pick Fanta. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Idah & stories. That tale of slave should be around 1992-93. Don't they all receive $5,000 match bonuses for wins?

http://pulse.ng/religion/idah-peterside ... 75921.html
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Lolly wrote:
oloye wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

He was also the same to fans. I remember being around those players in 1998 pre and during the world cup. Ikpeba and Oruma were something else. Arrogant and obnoxious, both of them. Uche Okey and Mutiu were really nice fellows.
The Ikpeba and Oruma I met in London before the friendly against England in 1994 were very humble and respectful.Oruma shook my hand with his two hands, which is a sign of respect. Maybe down the line, fame got into their heads.
I am happy
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Oga Oloye how many of them did you send to orthopedic and Rehab clinics as a comeuppance for abashment of great Oloye ?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

bully12 wrote:Oga Oloye how many of them did you send to orthopedic and Rehab clinics as a comeuppance for abashment of great Oloye ?
:D I was too intimidated and star struck to even try :lol: ....i spent half the time starring at my childhoood hero Keshi. A couple of them i had played against on the home front before they joined the foreign band wagon...let me just say, some of us on the home front who are defenders have a certain reputation which went ahead of us. :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Oga Oloye, well done o...:thumbs:

Uncle Seg once insisted that there was a 'secret' line of player-power from Uche Okechukwu via Chairman Chukwu to Westerhof:

While Keshi was the undisputed leader, Okey Uche was the underground go-to person when the players wanted to be heard.
If there was ever going to be a 'coup' or revolt against Keshi, it was destined for failure without Uche Okechukwu's endorsement.

If this revelation wasn't by Uncle Seg himself, I'd have doubted it...

So, Oga Oloye, what's your take on it? You fit collaborate?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Oloye

Your story on Ikpeba explains what the late Omerua said in 1994. We had gone to see him in Boston at the WC and he complained about Ikpeba's behavior. He noted that he had known Ikpeba for a while as Ikpeba's dad was a friend of his in the military. At the time I felt he was making a big deal of it because Ikpeba was a young lad to him. Well it makes sense now.
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat May 27, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: Ikpeba was a real hooligan. Was he not the one who allegedly told a home-based teammate that went to celebrate with him after scoring "na you and who be mate wey you want hug"?
Mobi Oparaku (allegedly)
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Aswani wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: Ikpeba was a real hooligan. Was he not the one who allegedly told a home-based teammate that went to celebrate with him after scoring "na you and who be mate wey you want hug"?
Mobi Oparaku (allegedly)
Oparaku was based in Belgium.
I am happy
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote:
Aswani wrote:
Mobi Oparaku (allegedly)
Oparaku was based in Belgium.
He had very harsh words for Oparaku during the World Cup 1998 game vs Spain after Oparaku wasted a throw-in.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

Interesting
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

What is the relevance of this guy?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI