London Evening Standard on Tammy Abraham, Nigeria & England

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
London Evening Standard on Tammy Abraham, Nigeria & England

Post by Damunk »

The English press are now in on the act and have stepped up their campaign to raise the stakes.
England in danger of losing Chelsea's Tammy Abraham to Nigeria national team
SIMON JOHNSON 9 hours ago

England are in danger of losing another of their best prospects with the news that Nigeria are trying to convince Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham to play for them.

Rising star: Tammy Abraham scored 26 goals for Bristol City this season Getty Images

Abraham is being tipped to have a prolonged career at the highest level after scoring 26 goals on loan at Bristol City this season.

Having already represented England Under-18s and Under-19s, the forward has played six times for the Under-21s this term, scoring twice.

But Abraham, who is set to hold talks with Chelsea over a new contract that will see his wages doubled to £50,000-a-week, can still opt to play for another country until he plays a competitive game for England’s senior team.

Antonio Conte as popular among Chelsea fans as Jose Mourinho ever was
His fellow graduate from Chelsea’s Academy, Ola Aina, has already agreed to represent Nigeria despite having played for England’s junior teams.

In a more high profile case, England lost Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha to the Ivory Coast last year even though he’d played for the senior team in a friendly.

Abraham’s parents are both Nigerian and the spokesman for their national team, Ademola Olajire, has confirmed that Abraham is now a target.

He said: “The coach (Salisu Yusuf) does not want to take any chances, so he has a list of players he would be relying on to play the matches. The Nigerian football federation has secured a Nigerian passport for Ola Aina. We are working on that of Tammy Abraham and others.

“We want the best players in the national team, so we are not taking any chances at all.”
Abraham has rejected their advances in the past and Standard Sport understands that he is not considering the latest approach.

But Nigeria are refusing to take no for an answer and will continue to pursue him until he plays a competitive game for England.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 46031.html
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: London Evening Standard on Tammy Abraham, Nigeria & Engl

Post by paj »

Damunk wrote:The English press are now in on the act and have stepped up their campaign to raise the stakes.
England in danger of losing Chelsea's Tammy Abraham to Nigeria national team
SIMON JOHNSON 9 hours ago

England are in danger of losing another of their best prospects with the news that Nigeria are trying to convince Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham to play for them.

Rising star: Tammy Abraham scored 26 goals for Bristol City this season Getty Images

Abraham is being tipped to have a prolonged career at the highest level after scoring 26 goals on loan at Bristol City this season.

Having already represented England Under-18s and Under-19s, the forward has played six times for the Under-21s this term, scoring twice.

But Abraham, who is set to hold talks with Chelsea over a new contract that will see his wages doubled to £50,000-a-week, can still opt to play for another country until he plays a competitive game for England’s senior team.

Antonio Conte as popular among Chelsea fans as Jose Mourinho ever was
His fellow graduate from Chelsea’s Academy, Ola Aina, has already agreed to represent Nigeria despite having played for England’s junior teams.

In a more high profile case, England lost Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha to the Ivory Coast last year even though he’d played for the senior team in a friendly.

Abraham’s parents are both Nigerian and the spokesman for their national team, Ademola Olajire, has confirmed that Abraham is now a target.

He said: “The coach (Salisu Yusuf) does not want to take any chances, so he has a list of players he would be relying on to play the matches. The Nigerian football federation has secured a Nigerian passport for Ola Aina. We are working on that of Tammy Abraham and others.

“We want the best players in the national team, so we are not taking any chances at all.”
Abraham has rejected their advances in the past and Standard Sport understands that he is not considering the latest approach.

But Nigeria are refusing to take no for an answer and will continue to pursue him until he plays a competitive game for England.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 46031.html
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tammy must play for his country whether he like am or not!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Paj, how many enlargements are you attempting to do? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

We must to everything to get that boy wearing green white green
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Good prospect to have in the squad..Unless he plays in the premiership he is unlikely to get an England call up. Now unless Chelsea agree to loan him to a fellow premiership club, he will be watching the WC in Russia on the box if he waits for England..

The young crop of exceptionally good youngsters coming through (Iwobi, Nacho, Ndidi), coupled with the prospect of going to the WC with fellow Chelsea mates (VM & Aina) is pretty tempting..
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mr Shows wrote:Good prospect to have in the squad..Unless he plays in the premiership he is unlikely to get an England call up. Now unless Chelsea agree to loan him to a fellow premiership club, he will be watching the WC in Russia on the box if he waits for England..

The young crop of exceptionally good youngsters coming through (Iwobi, Nacho, Ndidi), coupled with the prospect of going to the WC with fellow Chelsea mates (VM & Aina) is pretty tempting..
So which countries have qualified for the worldcup yet? England or Nigeria? Smh
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

He'd be nice to have but we also have Osihmen,nacho and Awoniyi. No biggie if he chooses the 2 England caps he'd gonna get.
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

He'll be behind Batshuayi and whichever star forward Chelsea recruit in the summer. But as Chelsea have European commitments- i.e. more matches to navigate - they may decide to keep him in the squad and not loan him out.

His chances of being selected by England ahead of the World Cup are still remote but closer than they were about six months ago.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:He'll be behind Batshuayi and whichever star forward Chelsea recruit in the summer. But as Chelsea have European commitments- i.e. more matches to navigate - they may decide to keep him in the squad and not loan him out.

His chances of being selected by England ahead of the World Cup are still remote but closer than they were about six months ago.
Maybe his projected short term goals do not include the 2018 WC. He is only 21 and he might be ready to bide his time, aiming instead for the 2022 WC.
It is we that are assuming that the 2018 WC is a major attraction for him.
Maybe, maybe not.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

I used to think it is imperative we must have him. Since emergence of Onyekuru,Kayode, Osimhen and Awonyi is looking good, honestly he will be a good addition but he is no longer a must have player. Our offensive threat is looking awesome and magnificent hence we need concentrate more on fortifying our defense unit and our most vulnerable and weakest section the goalkeeping department. We will be almost invincible if we improve on these departments without any additional offensive threat
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He'd be nice to have but we also have Osihmen,nacho and Awoniyi. No biggie if he chooses the 2 England caps he'd gonna get.
I agree.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

The YeyeMan wrote:He'll be behind Batshuayi and whichever star forward Chelsea recruit in the summer. But as Chelsea have European commitments- i.e. more matches to navigate - they may decide to keep him in the squad and not loan him out.

Honestly, to get regular playing time next season, his best bet is another loan but to a premiership club, hopefully. Batshuayi is still on the team and even if Diego leaves, CFC will surely buy a replacement striker at around the same quality. Tammy is still young so no rush wrt CFC opportunity.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He'd be nice to have but we also have Osihmen, nacho and Awoniyi. No biggie if he chooses the 2 England caps he'd gonna get.
I agree.
Let's get real a minute.
We are talking about the WC here...the very pinnacle of football performance. These three players mentioned are all still in transition from being youth players to fully accomplished internationals. There is absolutely NO guarantee that they will turn out to be top class. Its a hit and miss situation, so why limit our chances?

If we truly want to be world-beaters, we can't afford to EVER believe that 'we are sorted' in any department until we actually have some of the acknowledged 'world's best' kitting up in the beloved GWG.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

green4life wrote:Tammy must play for his country whether he like am or not!

G4L,

But which one be I'm contri nah? That na de issue.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:Good prospect to have in the squad..Unless he plays in the premiership he is unlikely to get an England call up. Now unless Chelsea agree to loan him to a fellow premiership club, he will be watching the WC in Russia on the box if he waits for England..

So which countries have qualified for the worldcup yet? England or Nigeria? Smh
Since nobody has a crystal ball to predict the future, we all generally speculate with probabilities and plan on their degree of likelihood...
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Damunk wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He'd be nice to have but we also have Osihmen, nacho and Awoniyi. No biggie if he chooses the 2 England caps he'd gonna get.
I agree.
Let's get real a minute.
We are talking about the WC here...the very pinnacle of football performance. These three players mentioned are all still in transition from being youth players to fully accomplished internationals. There is absolutely NO guarantee that they will turn out to be top class. Its a hit and miss situation, so why limit our chances?

If we truly want to be world-beaters, we can't afford to EVER believe that 'we are sorted' in any department until we actually have some of the acknowledged 'world's best' kitting up in the beloved GWG.
Tammy Abraham is also a player in the early stages of his career and is yet to play international football at senior level so when (if) he does finally decide to play for Nigeria or is given a chance with England he'll be starting later than the three above with less time before the World Cup!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:

Maybe his projected short term goals do not include the 2018 WC. He is only 21 and he might be ready to bide his time, aiming instead for the 2022 WC.
Maybe, maybe not.
I see what you're saying but I don't think it works like that. Who knows what the future holds for any player and five years is a long time in football. If he has a genuine shot of being selected for a World Cup squad in 2018 then he'll likely grab that chance. I find it unlikely he'll say I'm going to wait until 2022 instead.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

Agent at work trying to force an England Cap?
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

wazobia wrote:Agent at work trying to force an England Cap?
That looks like the case,Sidney Sams agent also did the same thing but all he got was a qualifier and a few minutes in a friendly before Germany moved on :thumb:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.
I see what you're saying but I don't think it works like that. Who knows what the future holds for any player and five years is a long time in football. If he has a genuine shot of being selected for a World Cup squad in 2018 then he'll likely grab that chance. I find it unlikely he'll say I'm going to wait until 2022 instead.
It isn't entirely far-fetched.
I might be mistaken but a few short years ago, Onuoha was in a similar position. He actually said he was 'not ready' and basically wanted to sit it out (for a future England call-up).
He was basically being offered a guaranteed world cup place once he put in the work and we qualified. His career was going quite well and he probably fancied his England chances. I don't even think at the time he was as young as Tammy is now.

To be fair, I don't think it would be an easy choice for anyone, including you or I.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:Tammy must play for his country whether he like am or not!

G4L,

But which one be I'm contri nah? That na de issue.
Lol. You saw what I did there :agree: :thumbs:

In fairness to Tammy, his prospects of a solid England Career in the future are bright. The young man has consistently scored goals an every level that he has participated in. This is not at Onuoha situation. If I was in his shoes, I will wait a bit ... perhaps with an eye towards the next WC in 2022 when he'll still be just 24yrs old or thereabout.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Damunk wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:
I agree.
Let's get real a minute.

You think Abraham is more likely to become world class than Nacho? :woot: :woot:
(I agree your underlying point about not being complacent in the search for talent)