Big Sam resigns as Crystal Palace coach.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Thunder
Egg
Egg
Big Sam resigns as Crystal Palace coach.

Post by Thunder »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... hs-in.html

Sam Allardyce has sensationally quit as the manager of Crystal Palace.

As Sportsmail revealed on Monday night, Allardyce wanted certain assurances from Selhurst Park chairman Steve Parish before committing his future to the club.

But a meeting with Parish earlier on Tuesday ended with Allardyce announcing his desire to leave just days after he celebrated keeping Palace in the Premier League.

Sportsmail exclusively broke the story on Tuesday afternoon before Allardyce confirmed his exit in a statement later in the evening.

In the statement, Allardyce appears to have all but confirmed his retirement and insisted: 'I have no ambitions to take another job.'

It remains a shock when it was only last week Allardyce told this newspaper how the success he had enjoyed in just five months at Palace had helped him recover from the bitter disappointment of losing the England manager's job after only one game earlier this season.

But the 62-year-old was understood to be unhappy with the club's transfer policy and did not get the guarantees he wanted that he would be able to strengthen in what he saw as the key areas this summer.

SAM ALLARDYCE STATEMENT

In some ways, this has been a very difficult decision to make but in others it has been a simple one.

I will always be grateful to Crystal Palace and Steve Parish for giving me the opportunity to go out with my head held high having helped keep the Club in the Premier League.

More than, they gave me a chance of rebuilding my reputation after what happened with England. I felt I needed another shot at being a Premier League manager and in helping to achieve something. As I said last weekend, Palace gave me the chance of rehabilitation.

That's why it's hard walking away now. I think the Club are heading in the right direction with a hugely supportive board of directors, a great squad of players and some of the most passionate fans I've ever met. It's been a privilege to have worked here for the past five months.

But there comes a time when you have to take stock of what direction you want your life to take - and that's been the simple part for me.

I want to be able to savour life while I'm still relatively young and when I'm still relatively healthy enough to do all the things I want to do, like travel, spend more time with my family and grandchildren without the huge pressure that comes with being a football manager.

This is the right time for me. I have no ambitions to take another job, I simply want to be able to enjoy all the things you cannot really enjoy with the 24/7 demands of managing any football club, let alone one in the Premier League.

Steve Parish has been superb during our conversations today. I know it came as a shock to him that I would walk away but our discussions have been incredibly civilised with no recriminations and no fall-out.

This is not about transfer targets, finances or anything along those lines. This is me taking the decision I believe is right for my family and myself.

I would like to thank everybody for their messages of support since the news broke. I've no doubt I will miss management but I certainly have no regrets at this decision.
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Big Sam resigns as Crystal Palace coach.

Post by Comrade Machel »

Nonsense. The fool should be in jail :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

He'll go back into punditry and wait until one of the newly promoted/bottom tier clubs start to struggle and put himself forward..
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

After Tony Pulis kept Palace up and won Manager of the season. Things got bad between Parish and Pulis.

Steve Parish, it is alleged, shouted at Tony Pulis at the hotel dinning hall, the following:

"This is Crystal Palace, not Crystal Fuckin Pulis". He (Parish) sacked Pulis in the spot, but he has won every cases against Pulis since.

Do not understand the game anymore.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Well he picked up a promised 4M check as bonus for keeping them in the premier league. Why stay and work when he's already paid for the next two years? :) His accountant probably told him to bounce. Surely another club in trouble will come calling by November that will offer another huge bonus to avoid relegation.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...he's English, he'll get a new gig asap, just like the players.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Just curious if he ever gone down a division with any team ...
It seems to me that he always manages to save teams ...
Bepanda
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

bepanda wrote:Just curious if he ever gone down a division with any team ...
It seems to me that he always manages to save teams ...
Bepanda
There's a niche for this...!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

One of the all time Greats...walks off into the sunset, piano man playing one of the sweetest symphonies. Elsewhere, others are trying to play Mumraa the ever living.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

^^ he is an all-time great at performing cpr on relegation threatened sides
when it comes to building solid top 10 sides with time and money at his disposal, he is mediocre at best
very smart of him take a break until the next desperate epl team sacks its manager and comes begging for his services
that way he can name his price , work for only 3 months in the year ,make a killing and go back into hibernation. a perfect business model
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

shocking ...
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Big Sam would have taken England to the promised land. But alas, the English press had other ideas and priorities.

Big Sam was one of the first EPL coaches, to embrace advanced technology in most facets of the game.

Relegation savior is good business. But I suspect that a big spending nation has Big Sam's attention.

Keep your ear to the ground. :)
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Samora Machel wrote:Nonsense. The fool should be in jail :roll:
Why so - Sir?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Mr Shows wrote:He'll go back into punditry and wait until one of the newly promoted/bottom tier clubs start to struggle and put himself forward..
.. and what is wrong with that? Isn't that why he is a good strategist, especially if he can pull a team out of relegation? Finally, it becomes a win-win situation or deal for all sides and everyone laughs to their bank(s) and to their respective offices/places
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Kaba, and if so, it would be a brilliant appointment, with a World Cup looming, it makes perfect sense for anyone aspiring for big things to bring in the one and only Big in the beautiful game. No one else has achieved this ne plus ultra in the modern era. There is and only ever will be, one. Surname, Sam, first name, Big.
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Waffiman wrote:After Tony Pulis kept Palace up and won Manager of the season. Things got bad between Parish and Pulis.

Steve Parish, it is alleged, shouted at Tony Pulis at the hotel dinning hall, the following:

"This is Crystal Palace, not Crystal Fuckin Pulis". He (Parish) sacked Pulis in the spot, but he has won every cases against Pulis since.

I don't know why you keep repeating this story which is quite obviously false as was proved by the court case between the two.
Pulis asked Parish to pay his bonus for saving Crystal Palace from relegation early on the pretext that he wanted to buy some land for daughter. Pulis resigned immediately the bonus was paid and Paris successfully sued for the return of the bonus because Pulis had resigned before the bonus was due to be paid.
The facts were discussed quite extensively in the press after the case and subsequent appeal.
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

toyin133 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:After Tony Pulis kept Palace up and won Manager of the season. Things got bad between Parish and Pulis.

I don't know why you keep repeating this story which is quite obviously false as was proved by the court case between the two.
Pulis asked Parish to pay his bonus for saving Crystal Palace from relegation early on the pretext that he wanted to buy some land for daughter. Pulis resigned immediately the bonus was paid and Paris successfully sued for the return of the bonus because Pulis had resigned before the bonus was due to be paid.
The facts were discussed quite extensively in the press after the case and subsequent appeal.
I prefer Waffis version :taunt: :taunt:
Oya back to the matter
open and close
toyin133
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by toyin133 »

Prince wrote:
toyin133 wrote:

I prefer Waffis version :taunt: :taunt:
That's because you like beer parlour stories :taunt: :taunt:
"I hear Glenn Hoddle has found God. That must have been one hell of a pass." Jasper Carrott
"Mind you, football is not really about winning, or goals, or saves or supporters. It's about glory. It's about doing things in style, doing them with a flourish. It's
about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Allardyce did not even commit a crime. All he did was be too open and honest. This eventually compromised his position as England manager.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Odas wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:He'll go back into punditry and wait until one of the newly promoted/bottom tier clubs start to struggle and put himself forward..
.. and what is wrong with that? Isn't that why he is a good strategist, especially if he can pull a team out of relegation? Finally, it becomes a win-win situation or deal for all sides and everyone laughs to their bank(s) and to their respective offices/places
Did I suggest there was anything wrong?...Was just anticipating his next move...
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

smartbrother wrote:^^ he is an all-time great at performing cpr on relegation threatened sides
when it comes to building solid top 10 sides with time and money at his disposal, he is mediocre at best
very smart of him take a break until the next desperate epl team sacks its manager and comes begging for his services
that way he can name his price , work for only 3 months in the year ,make a killing and go back into hibernation. a perfect business model
Not true. He built Bolton into a bonafide top 7 side. Had he not been tempted by Newcastle, he and Bolton were the perfect match. Yes, he's not a top 4 guy...but he definitely a top 10-er.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

deanotito wrote:
smartbrother wrote:^^ he is an all-time great at performing cpr on relegation threatened sides
Not true. He built Bolton into a bonafide top 7 side. Had he not been tempted by Newcastle, he and Bolton were the perfect match. Yes, he's not a top 4 guy...but he definitely a top 10-er.
Nonsense. Bolton is not the only team he has managed.
Its been a decade since he managed Bolton.
During which time he has managed WestHam, Blackburn and many other sides.
Going by your logic, David O leary is a "bonafide" top 10 manager
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

deanotito wrote:

When?
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?