Nigeria v Corsica: Each Player Rating......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria v Corsica: Each Player Rating......

Post by Enugu II »

Corsica 1-1 Nigeria – Players Ratings; Onyekuru Disappoints, Etebo MOTM, Mu’azam Shines, Odey Impresses
May 27, 2017 Nigeria, Top Headlines, Trending Topics
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/27/co ... impresses/

‎The Super Eagles of Nigeria forced the French Island of Corsica to a 1-1 draw in a friendly meant to prepare the Nigerian team for their upcoming AFCON 2019 Qualifiers against South Africa next month.

Owngo‎alnigeria.com foreign correspondent Michael James was at the Stade François Coty in Ajaccio where the game was played, and rates the Nigerian players on parade.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa – Didn’t have much to do during the course of the game dominated by Nigeria, and could do nothing about the goal scored by Corsica via the spot. Looked calm and commanding especially in dealing with crosses into the box…..6.5/10

Tyronne Ebuehi – The Dutch-Nigerian full back had a rude introduction to international football, giving away a penalty very early into his first game for Nigeria, but he recovered brilliantly from the set back, particularly in the second half but he still needs to work on his marking abilities….6/10

Elderson Echiejile – His experience was very clear to see, strong and very smart in tackles, not the quickest but wasn’t beaten for pace. His forays upfront also helped the Eagles in attack in the second half. A fine display from the stand in captain….. 7/10

Chidozie Awaziem – Awaziem proved why he is so highly rated by Portuguese side FC Porto with an almost flawless display in his first game for Nigeria. Quick, very strong in the air and in duels. His ball playing abilities was also another area which caught out attention….. 7/10

William Troost–Ekong – Was his usual self, full of energy, running and commitment. Loves to take a tackle for his team, always willing to put his body where it hurts. Dovetailed nicely with Awaziem in the heart of Nigeria defence as Corsica failed to mount any serious challenge….. 7/10

Mikel Agu – Quick in turning defence into attack with forward passes. He had a very commanding game in the middle for Nigeria. Covered lot of grounds, the only major drawback was his unwillingness to join the attack even when Corsica sat back to defend….. 7/10

Oghenekaro Etebo – Can easily pass as the man of the match. Clearly the best player on the pitch for both teams. Strong, quick and incisive, he was too good for the Corsica defence. Brought down for the penalty converted by Iheanacho which drew Nigeria level….. 8.5/10

Alhassan Ibrahim – Mu’azam as he is fondly called was one of the best players for Nigeria in the first half, and twice came close to scoring with one of his efforts bringing out a parried safe from the goalkeeper of Corsica. Headed wide when he should have done better in a promising position. Tired out in the second half….. 7/10

Ahmed Musa – Failed to connect a spilled ball by the goalkeeper of Corsica after a well hit drive for Mu’azam, but overall was too much for the left back of Corsica to handle. Musa’s raw pace and quick feet helped Nigeria win fouls and his unselfish play was wasted by Onyekuru who failed to connect with the goalkeeper at his mercy….. 8/10

Kelechi Iheanacho – The Manchester City man brought out a fine save from the Corsica shot stopper from what looked like a half chance. Didn’t quite impose himself in the first half, but was very lively in the second half, had a hand in the move that led to the penalty for Nigeria, which he converted to maintain his fine scoring record for Nigeria….. 7/10

Henry Onyekuru – Looked lost and tensed. Missed a sitter which could have drawn Nigeria level shortly after they went behind. Took up goal scoring positions but wasn’t clinical enough to convert them. Presently highly sort after by top clubs in Europe after his 24 goals haul for Eupen, Onyekuru had a debut he won’t want to remember in a hurry….. 6/10

Substitutes –

Stephen Odey – The top scorer in the Nigeria Premier League took the game by the scruff of its neck after coming on for Nigeria. Eager to shoot at goal and had an effort on target. Link up play was also brilliant particularly with his back to goal…… 6.5/ 10
Shehu Abdullahi – Picked up a yellow card for foul play but overall helped stabilise the defence of Nigeria, showed commitment and a willingness to get into duels for his team….. 6/10

Uche Agbo – Helped sprayed the ball around nicely, his range of passes gave the Eagles attackers a lot to feed on. Not quick but takes up good positions which nullified any potential danger posed by Corsica on the break…..5.5/10

Sikiru Olatubosun – Tried to bring his positive energy when he came on, but didn’t have enough time to settle into the game. Nice touches few times he got the ball….. 5/10

Michael James
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Obong
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria v Corsica: Each Player Rating......

Post by Obong »

Interestingly, Owngoalnigeria.com is the most reliable source for Nigerian national team news and Nigerian players overseas. Apparently, they're the only media outlet with news from camp and seem to have the only Nigerian journalist present to report the match. Yet, some will go the whole hog of discrediting them. I give them props for all their reporting.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Obong wrote:Interestingly, Owngoalnigeria.com is the most reliable source for Nigerian national team news and Nigerian players overseas. Apparently, they're the only media outlet with news from camp and seem to have the only Nigerian journalist present to report the match. Yet, some will go the whole hog of discrediting them. I give them props for all their reporting.
while they carry fake news and half truths, 80% of their news is onpoint.

Again, i noticed that some of the guys in owngoalnigeria are past CE members that have been frustrated out of the site with insults. SAD!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Al hassan Ibrahim missed a close range header according to the twitter feed. He still gets a 7/10 interesting. Can't watch the match to confirm the ratings interesting.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Ahmed Musa gets a 8/10 lol. Yeah I don't believe this ratings.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Obong wrote:Interestingly, Owngoalnigeria.com is the most reliable source for Nigerian national team news and Nigerian players overseas. Apparently, they're the only media outlet with news from camp and seem to have the only Nigerian journalist present to report the match. Yet, some will go the whole hog of discrediting them. I give them props for all their reporting.

Again, i noticed that some of the guys in owngoalnigeria are past CE members that have been frustrated out of the site with insults. SAD!
who are these?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II, does this count as a recognised friendly by FIFA?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The YeyeMan wrote:Enugu II, does this count as a recognised friendly by FIFA?
No it doesn't. Corsica is not a member FIFA
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:Enugu II, does this count as a recognised friendly by FIFA?
It does not but Nigerian media and journalists, with exception of SE media person, have labeled this an international and writing about debutants, etc. I have been very very surprised by this. I have been reading the reports carefully and have responded to a few journalists on Twitter. However, the SE media guy has been very specific labeling this as a practice match. I label it as an exhibition between one country and a regional team. An international has to be a match between two nations. As far as I am aware, Corsica is not a nation and, thus, the reports about an international is just ridiculous.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Thanks for the clarification guys. I suspected it wasn't a an international match but the reporting gave me a moment to pause.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

The YeyeMan wrote:Thanks for the clarification guys. I suspected it wasn't a an international match but the reporting gave me a moment to pause.
I hope Onyekuru doesn't turn out to be another highly anticipated Peter Ije. After all of the hype about him and raising astronomical expectations now he has the least rating. Hmmmm .Honestly I don't like what I'm hearing
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Onyekuru is okay. We already have many players like him. What we need is a

RB
LB
GK
A true number10

That is why I didn't buy the hype.

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

chief nfachairman wrote:

Any news outlet that knowingly manufactures news cannot and should not be taken seriously. There's no such thing 80 percent accuracy while 20 percent is fake. When did that become acceptable journalism? That is why any journalist that is worth his/her salt, or any proper news group will move quickly to correct an erroneous story and apologize to their readers once a mistake is made to protect their reputation. But a lot of what we get from this site is erroneous, lazy and downright manufactured reporting with no apologies or retractions when they get it wrong (which I would argue occurs more frequently than 20 percent). Rather they just carry on misinforming their readers and could care less.

Just take a look at this piece on player ratings, for instance. Sikiru Olatunbusun came on in the 62nd minute going by the game log, yet the author wants his readers to believe that he didn't have enough time to settle into the game.

Yeah right.

That alone discredits the piece.

The sad thing is that OGN appear to have the resources, connections and the ambition to be a leading light in the Nigerian football news industry, but until they clean up their act, I will not take them seriously.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Don't mistake the volume of what they write about the Super Eagles for reliability.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Don't mistake the volume of what they write about the Super Eagles for reliability.
Mystic,

IMO, Owngoal.com site is not different from other tabloid journals all over the world like the London Mirror, Sun, New York Post, etc. Those media dwell on sensationalism and rumors. They are not the New York Times or Washington Post of the world that only publish verified stories with strong gatekeepers. As a matter of fact they do not aspire to be. If this understanding is clear, then Owngoal's reporting should not be a problem. Simply read their stories with the caution that it deserves. This type of reporting has appeared, in recent years, in television and radio because they no longer view news as in the 1980s but news is now mixed with entertainment. That is the new world for you. BTW, it is now also appearing in the White House re: Alternative facts.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Mystic,

IMO, Owngoal.com site is not different from other tabloid journals all over the world like the London Mirror, Sun, New York Post, etc. Those media dwell on sensationalism and rumors. They are not the New York Times or Washington Post of the world that only publish verified stories with strong gatekeepers. As a matter of fact they do not aspire to be. If this understanding is clear, then Owngoal's reporting should not be a problem. Simply read their stories with the caution that it deserves. This type of reporting has appeared, in recent years, in television and radio because they no longer view news as in the 1980s but news is now mixed with entertainment. That is the new world for you. BTW, it is now also appearing in the White House re: Alternative facts.
New York times also write a lot of fake news.

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Mystic,

I don't take any of those news outlets seriously either. Besides, there is sensationalism and there is outright manufacturing of news. And you don't have to be the New York times to publish good stuff. Just because it's becoming the norm in western countries to blur the lines of journalism doesn't mean that we as Nigerians should follow suit. We should strive to be better than them.

I have one question for you EII: how does a player who came on in 62nd minute not have enough time to settle into a game?

If you choose to accept that kind of reporting then na your own be dat. But no be me and una. When I read a story on my beloved Super Eagles, I shouldn't have to be trying to decide whether to believe the story or not - which is the bottom line with OGN.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Mystic,

well said.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
mystic wrote:
Mystic,

I don't take any of those news outlets seriously either. Besides, there is sensationalism and there is outright manufacturing of news. And you don't have to be the New York times to publish good stuff. Just because it's becoming the norm in western countries to blur the lines of journalism doesn't mean that we as Nigerians should follow suit. We should strive to be better than them.

I have one question for you EII: how does a player who came on in 62nd minute not have enough time to settle into a game?

If you choose to accept that kind of reporting then na your own be dat. But no be me and una. When I read a story on my beloved Super Eagles, I shouldn't have to be trying to decide whether to believe the story or not - which is the bottom line with OGN.
Mystic

It isn't really about choice but about market and technology. Market in the sense that sensationalism brings massive revenues as Rupert Murdoch has proven with his media empire which has changed journalism by blending it with entertainment. Technology in the terms that it has given everyone with access to large audiences via internet. That is today's world, bros.

In any case, I was surprised by the non-rating of Olatunbosun. Was it simply that Olatunbosun did not see much of the ball? Is it that he entered much later than the 62nd minute? Or is it that the reporter was just lazy? The fact is I don't know. But as you are aware, ratings are subjective and another rarer could very well rate these players quite differently.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

chief nfachairman wrote:

Which fake news have they published?

Sometimes news is fluid and change after it has been reported. I am yet to see them intentionally mislead or makeup news.

Even credible mainstream news sites do get it wrong sometimes.

Ps., which past CE members were hounded out of here because of insults? Those that stopped posting simply outgrew CE.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Cellular wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

Sometimes news is fluid and change after it has been reported. I am yet to see them intentionally mislead or makeup news.

Ps., which past CE members were hounded out of here because of insults? Those that stopped posting simply outgrew CE.
Here are just two stories I remember. They do fake intervews also
1. Mikel signs for Valencia
2. Conte agrees to give Mikel the attacking Midfield position :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gochino wrote:
Cellular wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:

Here are just two stories I remember. They do fake intervews also
1. Mikel signs for Valencia
2. Conte agrees to give Mikel the attacking Midfield position :rotf:
Gochino,

I do not remember #2 on your list but I remember #1 and my recollection is that own goal-com reported that the Valencia deal was a done deal but never reported an actual signing and by the way below are news sites that also reported the Mikel Obi negotiation with Valencia:

ESPN
Goal.com
The Independent
The Daily Mail
The Evening Standard
The Daily Star

That list ought to inform you that there were most likely advanced negotiation with Valencia. the fact that an eventual signing did not take place is a fact of life. The current Onyekuru transfer story or Iheanacho transfer stories can fall apart as long as the player is yet to sign but both stories are widely reported by numerous sources.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

bully12 wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Thanks for the clarification guys. I suspected it wasn't a an international match but the reporting gave me a moment to pause.
I hope Onyekuru doesn't turn out to be another highly anticipated Peter Ije. After all of the hype about him and raising astronomical expectations now he has the least rating. Hmmmm .Honestly I don't like what I'm hearing
Peter Ijeh was a figment of wAyo's creation. He's rarely here these days so we're good.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯