Según Oduduwa Abandoned?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Según Oduduwa Abandoned?

Post by Enugu II »

Is Segun Oduduwa Abandoned after Injury?
http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/05/29/j ... onal-team/

Olympic team star Segun Oduduwa was a year ago on the radar of several top clubs in Europe including Juventus, but today he is back home in Lagos, abandoned by his country and in desperate need of at least $100,000 for surgeries on a knee injury he suffered while training with the Rio Olympics-bound team.

This is yet another pathetic case of a sportsman left to his own fate after putting his body and life on the line for Nigeria, while raising fundamental questions as regards insurance cover for the country’s athletes on national duty.

Oduduwa the moment he suffered the horror knee injury last year May in Abuja
The highly-rated Nath Boys of Lagos central defender suffered a horrific left knee dislocation in training on May 26, 2016, just about the time the Dream Team VI were to fly out for a training camp in Atlanta, United States of America.

The 21-year-old Oduduwa spent about a month before the sports ministry will get him down to the Aspetar Hospital in Doha, Qatar.

After a five-month delay, his Anterior Cruciate Ligaments (ACL) were reconstructed at the hospital in Qatar at the cost of $30,000, which has yet to be paid.

His club were forced to send him a flight ticket to return home at the expiration of his visa and the non-payment of his bills, while he still requires another corrective surgery and rehabilitation, which will gulp about $70,000 in Qatar.

Oduduwa’s once promising career, which has seen him win gold at the 2015 U23 AFCON in Senegal as well as bronze at the 2015 All Africa Games, is now at crossroads.

“I do not even have the words to really describe how I feel, it’s that bad,” Oduduwa lamented to SCORENigeria

“My career is in serious danger now even after I served Nigeria with everything I had.

“My club and I have done everything to save my career even though I suffered the injury in the national team.

“Coach Samson Siasia (coach of Olympic team Oduduwa played for) has severally met with officials, but there is no hope in sight.

“I have been abandoned to rot.”

It has been an anti-climax for the star defender, who was widely compared to another Nath Boys protégée Wilfred Ndidi, who now plays in the Premier League for Leicester City.

“Genk of Belgium and Juventus were interested in me and they were to watch me at the Olympics,” recounted a devastated Oduduwa, whose father is an 80-year-old pensioner.

“And even when I got injured they were still asking after me.”

SCORENigeria investigations revealed that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) insist the Olympic team fell under the sports ministry and as such Oduduwa should be the full responsibility of the ministry.

It was further gathered that a memo on the subject has yet to be replied to by the NFF.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Según Oduduwa Abandoned?

Post by YUJAM »

Top player. Hope he gets the help he needs
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Where will NFF get that kind of money from? Hopefully the guy can get some help elsewhere.
OCCUPY NFF!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...say anything negative they will say you are putting Nigeria down. So many mofos don't know what is to critic the country and her leadership.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

They did the same to Nwobodo or someone like that?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

NFF can't pass the buck here. Even if the injury occurred under the Sportsame Ministry's watch, they must move heaven and earth to make sure that this youngster is taken care of.

Such a talented young player.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

pajimoh wrote:They did the same to Nwobodo or someone like that?

NFF took care of Nwobodo.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

mystic wrote:

Yeah after his plight was in the papers following months of neglect just like Segun
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

So no health insurance?
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

ohenhen1 wrote:So no health insurance?
Trump cancelled it. Msshhheeew Sometimes you ask some insanely daft question. You think Naija Na USA or Europe? You think the NFF that struggles for money considers insurance money well spent?
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Where will NFF get that kind of money from? Hopefully the guy can get some help elsewhere.
Perhaps the same place the got the money to pay Rohr...

Anyway, Nigerian teams should ideally have insurance for players, athletes and officials.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

mystic wrote:
Yep, the NFF tried for Obinna Nwobodo...

The player that the NFF really and truly let down has been Daniel Joshua (starting CD on the 2007 U17 WC-winning Eaglets) who suffered life-changing injuries in a car accident enroute to the U20 Flying Eagles' camp.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Gotti wrote:
mystic wrote:
Yep, the NFF tried for Obinna Nwobodo...

The player that the NFF really and truly let down has been Daniel Joshua (starting CD on the 2007 U17 WC-winning Eaglets) who suffered life-changing injuries in a car accident enroute to the U20 Flying Eagles' camp.
What's Joshua's situation now? How come we are not doing our bit here as fans and get current and ex footballers involved?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Can't players be automatically insured once they're in camp? Is that not feasible?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

theYemster wrote:Can't players be automatically insured once they're in camp? Is that not feasible?
Even automatic cover requires some payments be made and renewals maintained. NFF no fit pay wages you want them to sort out insurance?
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

pajimoh wrote:
theYemster wrote:Can't players be automatically insured once they're in camp? Is that not feasible?
Even automatic cover requires some payments be made and renewals maintained. NFF no fit pay wages you want them to sort out insurance?
I'm just enquiring about the structural possibility. Whether or not those eggheads have the decency and integrity within themselves do actually implement it is another matter entirely.

The payments can be deducted from players allowances. It's just like traveler's insurance so it won't be something that's continuous...only activated when they're in camp.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

theYemster wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
I'm just enquiring about the structural possibility. Whether or not those eggheads have the decency and integrity within themselves do actually implement it is another matter entirely.

The payments can be deducted from players allowances. It's just like traveler's insurance so it won't be something that's continuous...only activated when they're in camp.
The structural possibility is there. Footballers the world over are insured for club and country. Insurers need money and it's not everytime players get injured. National teams even collaborate with Insurance company by way of advertising in return for reduced cover. But we are talking about the NFF. Insuring the players is a waste of money to them. They can go back to their club after all we have pool of players to select from. Players welfare has NEVER been their strong point.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

ohenhen1 wrote:So no health insurance?
This is the major problem. It is not an NFF problem but a Nigeria one.
yes o
hangingfire
Egg
Egg

Post by hangingfire »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Where will NFF get that kind of money from? Hopefully the guy can get some help elsewhere.
Say what!!?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

First, I hope Segun finds the help he needs.

But is the NFF responsible for every soccer player in Nigeria? This is an honest question.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

1naija wrote:First, I hope Segun finds the help he needs.

But is the NFF responsible for every soccer player in Nigeria? This is an honest question.
Amen.

No. They are only responsible for those on national assignment - camp, tours, championships etc.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

YemiBrazil wrote:

Amen.

No. They are only responsible for those on national assignment - camp, tours, championships etc.
Is preparation for the Olympics tournament under the jurisdiction of the NFF?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

YemiBrazil wrote:

Amen.

We either have to admit the NFF lack the resources and or will to look after the welfare of our players or the Insurance system in Nigeria a not dynamic enough to cover teams when they are on duty only. They do not need all year cover. It should be like travel insurance you get only when you're traveling.