Official List: Nigeria vs South Africa

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chendosplastic
Egg
Egg
Re: Official List: Nigeria vs South Africa

Post by chendosplastic »

naijaguy wrote:
bully12 wrote:
naijaguy wrote:Victor moses just got married. He asked to be excused and it was granted. This is a very good list.
Please Musa just got married was in the camp the next day . Excused for how many days for an important AFCON qualification. We missed last two AFCON tournaments because of non qualification. I know the list is good but we need our best players to achieve an optimum result and presumably he is one of our best. The guy better makes up his mind whether he wants to play for SE or not. His pranks is becoming egregiously exasperating.
Yes musa was in camp after his marriage because he never asked for permission to be away. Besides he hasn't been playing regularly for Leicester. It's even a privilege for him that he was invited
Thank you.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

osita wrote:I beg to disagree on Ola Aina over Shehu, the thought from you is that he is playing for chelsea (name ) and sitting on the bench. Shehu is more consistent in his club, and has played well in various position without really struggling in an SE shirt. That is not the case with Aina, who i still doubt his patriotism to the cause and we are yet to access his adaptability playing in an SE shirt.

I will label a player on what i see rather than where he plays and kayode, Onyekuru and Chigozie have shown commitment and talent paying for us so far and their talent can be relied on rather than speculate on something we can not access.
:agree:

In fact I would personally place Shehu ahead of Ebuehi as well in the depth chart at this point...
However, dude frankly has to move to a better league to continue to develop and retain his SE place.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

mystic wrote:4. In midfield you are right that the opportunity has passed Uche Agbo by, but you can't count him out completely because of his ability to give us cover at multiple positions. For now though, Shehu Abdullahi is ahead of him as the utility squad player, and it will be hard for him to be nudged out of that role - particularly if he moves to a stronger league this summer. I also think that Esiti will get another opportunity before it is all said and done provided he keeps doing the business at Eupen. The main issue with him is that he is purely a destroyer - which he is extremely good at. But he is unfortunately playing in an era when Nigeria is stocked at his position and Rohr seems to prefer his competitors to him because they bring a more varied skillset to the table. Nonetheless I foresee his form at Eupen earning him a reprieve but it will be an uphill battle for him to make the World Cup squad (should we qualify). Hopefully he'll be able to expand his game over the next few years as he develops as that will be key for him.
You mean Gent?

Anyway, I do not think we have head the last of Anderson Esiti in the SE squad. Dude is still very young, plays every week in a good league with growing European club competition experience. Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for us), we are relatively loaded in department at the moment.

Furthermore, I am not that much surprised at Mikel Agu's fortunes. He was a clear standout at youth level at the Copa Coca-Cola competition in South Africa, as captain of the Benin City-based BJ Foundation Academy (whose products include Elderson Echiejile and Victor Moses), which led him to Porto where he rapidly moved up the food chain culminating into a league debut in a derby clash against Benfica - until serious injury truncated that ascendancy. His international fortunes had a slight setback with Siasia's Olympic squad last summer (because he was reportedly being converted to play in central defense), but he has been in solid form all of this past season on loan at Vitoria Setubal.

BTW, I would not categorize Alhassan Ibrahim as a midfielder - except if the plan is to use him as we attempted to use Kanu at the 2002 WC. He is a forward, more suited to the role of support striker, and while he tries his best he is too limited defensively to play in CM.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Gotti wrote:
mystic wrote:4. In midfield you are right that the opportunity has passed Uche Agbo by, but you can't count him out completely because of his ability to give us cover at multiple positions. For now though, Shehu Abdullahi is ahead of him as the utility squad player, and it will be hard for him to be nudged out of that role - particularly if he moves to a stronger league this summer. I also think that Esiti will get another opportunity before it is all said and done provided he keeps doing the business at Eupen. The main issue with him is that he is purely a destroyer - which he is extremely good at. But he is unfortunately playing in an era when Nigeria is stocked at his position and Rohr seems to prefer his competitors to him because they bring a more varied skillset to the table. Nonetheless I foresee his form at Eupen earning him a reprieve but it will be an uphill battle for him to make the World Cup squad (should we qualify). Hopefully he'll be able to expand his game over the next few years as he develops as that will be key for him.
You mean Gent?

Anyway, I do not think we have head the last of Anderson Esiti in the SE squad. Dude is still very young, plays every week in a good league with growing European club competition experience. Unfortunately for him (and fortunately for us), we are relatively loaded in department at the moment.

Furthermore, I am not that much surprised at Mikel Agu's fortunes. He was a clear standout at youth level at the Copa Coca-Cola competition in South Africa, as captain of the Benin City-based BJ Foundation Academy (whose products include Elderson Echiejile and Victor Moses), which led him to Porto where he rapidly moved up the food chain culminating into a league debut in a derby clash against Benfica - until serious injury truncated that ascendancy. His international fortunes had a slight setback with Siasia's Olympic squad last summer (because he was reportedly being converted to play in central defense), but he has been in solid form all of this past season on loan at Vitoria Setubal.

BTW, I would not categorize Alhassan Ibrahim as a midfielder - except if the plan is to use him as we attempted to use Kanu at the 2002 WC. He is a forward, more suited to the role of support striker, and while he tries his best he is too limited defensively to play in CM.
VM played om BJ foundation? wow.cool. thought he left naija when he was 11 or so
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

osita wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
mystic wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:My Thoughts on the list

GoalKeepers:
Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Alampasu

This is still a very weak position. We need enyeama from now till after the world cup (we would qualify, Insha Allah) while Alampasu remains in the team for the future. Ikeme, Akpeyi, Ezenwa and Daniel should battle for the 3rd spot.

Defenders:
Echiejile, Troost-Ekong, Chidozie Awaziem, Ebuehi, Omeruo, Maroof Youssef(Zamalek), Shehu Abdullahi

*Awaziem has played himself into the first team. Now he would be under pressure to go on loan to a top division team if he doesn't get guarantees to start in the Porto first team. I wonder who drops out once Balogun gets back. I guess its going to be a fullback. and if Maroof is the shiii, and Aina comes through, then we in for serious competition in that left back role and Echiejile might just be the casualty (though we need his experience).

*Kingsley Madu has effectively lost his spot!
*Has Ebuehi owned the right back position?

Can only get better.

Midfielders:
Onazi, Ogu, Mikel Agu, Ndidi, Etebo, Alhassan Ibrahim

Uche Agbo has finally lost out. Just like Esiti did. THey would have to be playing in the moon to make it back into the team. Agu and Ndidi would fight for the DM position, Onazi and Ogu for the CM, Etebo, Alhassan for both CM and AM. Include Iwobi in the AM spot to.

Who gets dropped when Mikel gets back?

Interesting

Forwards:
Musa, Iheanacho, Kayode, Onyekuru, Iwobi, Osimhen, Simon Moses

ROhr really likes Osimhen and he probably likes him more bcos he is getting the German training.

so who gets dropped when Moses gets back? And Success? its Obvioius ROhr likes him. Ideye and Ighalo have effectively lost their spots to younger guys rising up fast in European football (Kayode and Osimhen).

My only worry though is that we dont have any physically strong attacker like ideye, ighalo or Emenike.

For any attacker to break into this team now, they would have to be scoring on the moon

If the likes of Awaziem, Osimhem cannot tie down first team shirts in the top flight division, including even Iheanacho, Rohr would drop em. The guy no send anybody papa.

Great Stuff!

1. I think that we need Enyeama as well. With him and Ikeme we would have two capable goalkeepers, leaving the quartet of Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Alampasu and Daniel to fight it out for their place on the depth chart. Hopefully Alampasu and Daniel continue to develop for the future.

2. In central defense, I watched all of Chidozie's games at Porto 2 seasons ago and he is a legit talent. I think that a healthy and in form Balogun walks into a starting jersey and everyone else is competing to start alongside him.

3. I doubt that Ebuehi owns the RB slot, but he is the lead horse in the barn right now. He will really have to maintain a high level of play to hold a starting shirt because Ola Aina is super good and there are some super talents in the pipeline as well.

4. In midfield you are right that the opportunity has passed Uche Agbo by, but you can't count him out completely because of his ability to give us cover at multiple positions. For now though, Shehu Abdullahi is ahead of him as the utility squad player, and it will be hard for him to be nudged out of that role - particularly if he moves to a stronger league this summer. I also think that Esiti will get another opportunity before it is all said and done provided he keeps doing the business at Eupen. The main issue with him is that he is purely a destroyer - which he is extremely good at. But he is unfortunately playing in an era when Nigeria is stocked at his position and Rohr seems to prefer his competitors to him because they bring a more varied skillset to the table. Nonetheless I foresee his form at Eupen earning him a reprieve but it will be an uphill battle for him to make the World Cup squad (should we qualify). Hopefully he'll be able to expand his game over the next few years as he develops as that will be key for him.

5. Rohr truly loves Osimhen and his potential. That much is clear (and I frankly concur with him). Really looking forward to seeing what type of season he has in 2017/2018. I hope he stays injury free.
I agree with you on Ola Aina and Ebuehi. Ola Aina would surely make it in the team becuase he plays both as an RB and LB. I honestly think Shehu's days are numbered.

I agree with you on Esiti but again, I have noticed that Rohr is setting up his permanent team. By Cameroun game, he woudl have had 98% of his team together and a new player would only make it to the team, if
1. One of the main team members get injured
2. one of the main team members starts to chop bench in his club
3. one of the main team members moves to China or some funny obscure league
4. A Nigerian player is scoring in the moon.

And like you said, i am really looking forward to seeing what type of season Osimhen would have in 2017/18. And even the rest of the plates on Rohrs List.

For some reason, i feel Ogu might not make the team in another 2/3 games as i hear he might be moving to CHina.

I beg to disagree on Ola Aina over Shehu, the thought from you is that he is playing for chelsea (name ) and sitting on the bench. Shehu is more consistent in his club, and has played well in various position without really struggling in an SE shirt. That is not the case with Aina, who i still doubt his patriotism to the cause and we are yet to access his adaptability playing in an SE shirt.

I will label a player on what i see rather than where he plays and kayode, Onyekuru and Chigozie have shown commitment and talent paying for us so far and their talent can be relied on rather than speculate on something we can not access.
I am very concerned about the league a player is in. The league in Cyprus is very poor and alot of Leagues in Africa are alot better. I also have a problem with players chopping bench in top teams. So who would i rather go with, a player playing in a poor league or a back up to Azpilicueta?

and again, i said if AIna comes through, meaning if he eventually does well in the SE shirt, then i see Shehu having a big problem.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Gotti wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:Defenders:
Echiejile, Troost-Ekong, Chidozie Awaziem, Ebuehi, Omeruo, Maroof Youssef(Zamalek), Shehu Abdullahi

*Awaziem has played himself into the first team. Now he would be under pressure to go on loan to a top division team if he doesn't get guarantees to start in the Porto first team. I wonder who drops out once Balogun gets back. I guess its going to be a fullback. and if Maroof is the shiii, and Aina comes through, then we in for serious competition in that left back role and Echiejile might just be the casualty (though we need his experience).

Can only get better.
Bros, the underlined is a highly doubtful (and frankly scary) proposition...

Chidozie Awaziem is still learning the CD position and remains very much a work-in-progress, despite his starting stint under the previous coach at Porto, who btw rather curiously often substituted Awaziem when Porto was defending a slim lead (and who frankly will not be "guaranteed" a starting shirt at Porto or indeed at any other top club). While Awaziem's biggest strengths are his comfort on the ball and relatively great aerial ability (considering he's Nigerian - and we tend to be generally pedestrian in heading the ball), his tackling is so-so and his defensive positioning can sometimes be downright atrocious! BTW, let's not forget that Rohr has previously seen and dropped Awaziem from the squad, and while it is not inconceivable that Awaziem has since considerably improved, my own guess would be that it is far more likely that Leon Balogun will regain the starter's shirt when fit again.

*Kingsley Madu should never have been anywhere near the squad in the first instance after his shambolic Olympic performance, but his continued invitation merely underscored our paucity of choices at the LB position (where a player - albeit a nice and willing dude - who could not grab a starting shirt at lowly Gijon is our automatic starter).

*Tyrone Ebuehi, pretty much like Awaziem, is more comfortable with the ball at his feet than without the ball (and is also quite comfortable going forward). I have now watched enough times to worry about his defensive positioning and awareness - and he's not the best tackler. The upside however is that he is young and still developing (again, like Awaziem), and starts every week at club level in a solid league.
:bump: :bump: :bump:

I don't mean Porto's first team but Naija's first team. He has succesflly displaced UChe Agbo (except he has an injury we dont know about) who is one of Rohr's back up CD apart from also been a DM. Today, he is starting alongside Troost (based on innercaucus' list). IN the SA list, he is one of the only 3 CDs considering Coaches usually go with 4 CDs, the 4th position would go to Balogun, meaning Awaziem has effectively played himself into the first team (Again, i dont mean starting lineup).

Again, i agree with you on Ebuehi, but with such players, coaches usually find a good way to deploy them. he would get stronger but again, thinking about it, he doesn't have the strenght for African football. So taking your observations into consideration, he is more of one to watch rather than owning the fullback position.

BUt has Shehu played himself into a starting shirt? Considering that he was bench in several matches for Musa Mohammed, then wilfred, then Omeruo (the height of it). Time will tell.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

chief nfachairman wrote:BUt has Shehu played himself into a starting shirt? Considering that he was bench in several matches for Muse Mohammed, then wilfred, then Omeruo (the height of it). Time will tell.
Doubt it - unless perhaps he plays superbly against Togo...

My guess is that if Awaziem plays well against Togo, he gets the starting nod at CD against SA while Omeruo starts at RB - all things being equal of course, because a lot of things can happen in-between the games and/or in training. However, if Awaziem disappoints against the Togolese, all bets are off and wouldn't be surprised to see Shehu (or even in a wildcard, Ebuehi) starting at RB against SA while Omeruo moves inside to CD. Interesting times ahead.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Gotti wrote:
You mean Gent?

Yes. I meant Gent. Thanks.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

By the way Uche Agbo has reportedly been restored to the squad.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

That makes it 24 by my count... 1 more player to complete the squad
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Mr Shows wrote:That makes it 24 by my count... 1 more player to complete the squad

The squad is complete as it is. Agbo's addition makes sense because the original list was short on Central defenders. We now have Omeruo, Ekong and Awaziem; with Agbo as the fourth option.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Enugu II wrote:
osita wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
mystic wrote:

GoalKeepers:
Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Alampasu

This is still a very weak position. We need enyeama from now till after the world cup (we would qualify, Insha Allah) while Alampasu remains in the team for the future. Ikeme, Akpeyi, Ezenwa and Daniel should battle for the 3rd spot.

Defenders:

Can only get better.

Midfielders:

Uche Agbo has finally lost out. Just like Esiti did. THey would have to be playing in the moon to make it back into the team. Agu and Ndidi would fight for the DM position, Onazi and Ogu for the CM, Etebo, Alhassan for both CM and AM. Include Iwobi in the AM spot to.

Interesting

Forwards:

ROhr really likes Osimhen and he probably likes him more bcos he is getting the German training.

so who gets dropped when Moses gets back? And Success? its Obvioius ROhr likes him. Ideye and Ighalo have effectively lost their spots to younger guys rising up fast in European football (Kayode and Osimhen).

My only worry though is that we dont have any physically strong attacker like ideye, ighalo or Emenike.

For any attacker to break into this team now, they would have to be scoring on the moon

If the likes of Awaziem, Osimhem cannot tie down first team shirts in the top flight division, including even Iheanacho, Rohr would drop em. The guy no send anybody papa.

Great Stuff!

1. I think that we need Enyeama as well. With him and Ikeme we would have two capable goalkeepers, leaving the quartet of Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Alampasu and Daniel to fight it out for their place on the depth chart. Hopefully Alampasu and Daniel continue to develop for the future.

2. In central defense, I watched all of Chidozie's games at Porto 2 seasons ago and he is a legit talent. I think that a healthy and in form Balogun walks into a starting jersey and everyone else is competing to start alongside him.

3. I doubt that Ebuehi owns the RB slot, but he is the lead horse in the barn right now. He will really have to maintain a high level of play to hold a starting shirt because Ola Aina is super good and there are some super talents in the pipeline as well.

4. In midfield you are right that the opportunity has passed Uche Agbo by, but you can't count him out completely because of his ability to give us cover at multiple positions. For now though, Shehu Abdullahi is ahead of him as the utility squad player, and it will be hard for him to be nudged out of that role - particularly if he moves to a stronger league this summer. I also think that Esiti will get another opportunity before it is all said and done provided he keeps doing the business at Eupen. The main issue with him is that he is purely a destroyer - which he is extremely good at. But he is unfortunately playing in an era when Nigeria is stocked at his position and Rohr seems to prefer his competitors to him because they bring a more varied skillset to the table. Nonetheless I foresee his form at Eupen earning him a reprieve but it will be an uphill battle for him to make the World Cup squad (should we qualify). Hopefully he'll be able to expand his game over the next few years as he develops as that will be key for him.

5. Rohr truly loves Osimhen and his potential. That much is clear (and I frankly concur with him). Really looking forward to seeing what type of season he has in 2017/2018. I hope he stays injury free.
I agree with you on Ola Aina and Ebuehi. Ola Aina would surely make it in the team becuase he plays both as an RB and LB. I honestly think Shehu's days are numbered.

I agree with you on Esiti but again, I have noticed that Rohr is setting up his permanent team. By Cameroun game, he woudl have had 98% of his team together and a new player would only make it to the team, if

And like you said, i am really looking forward to seeing what type of season Osimhen would have in 2017/18. And even the rest of the plates on Rohrs List.

For some reason, i feel Ogu might not make the team in another 2/3 games as i hear he might be moving to CHina.

I beg to disagree on Ola Aina over Shehu, the thought from you is that he is playing for chelsea (name ) and sitting on the bench. Shehu is more consistent in his club, and has played well in various position without really struggling in an SE shirt. That is not the case with Aina, who i still doubt his patriotism to the cause and we are yet to access his adaptability playing in an SE shirt.

I kpom this statement. Think player, forget club.

I am a big fan of Shehu Abdullahi and I'm glad that Rohr is finally giving him a shot at RB because he's better than everyone else that has been tried there up to this point. But Ola Aina is still our best bet. When he is finally cleared to wear the Nigeria jersey, you'll see what I'm talking about.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

mystic wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
osita wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
mystic wrote:

GoalKeepers:
Akpeyi, Ezenwa, Alampasu

Defenders:

Can only get better.

Midfielders:

Interesting

Forwards:

Great Stuff!

I kpom this statement. Think player, forget club.

I am a big fan of Shehu Abdullahi and I'm glad that Rohr is finally giving him a shot at RB because he's better than everyone else that has been tried there up to this point. But Ola Aina is still our best bet. When he is finally cleared to wear the Nigeria jersey, you'll see what I'm talking about.

How many times have you watched Ola Aina play a full game?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Based on what argument? That he plays for Chelsea? Puhlease!
He still hasn't proven himself with Chelsea's first team yet.
mystic wrote: I am a big fan of Shehu Abdullahi and I'm glad that Rohr is finally giving him a shot at RB because he's better than everyone else that has been tried there up to this point. But Ola Aina is still our best bet. When he is finally cleared to wear the Nigeria jersey, you'll see what I'm talking about.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Otitokoro wrote:Based on what argument? That he plays for Chelsea? Puhlease!
He still hasn't proven himself with Chelsea's first team yet.
mystic wrote: I am a big fan of Shehu Abdullahi and I'm glad that Rohr is finally giving him a shot at RB because he's better than everyone else that has been tried there up to this point. But Ola Aina is still our best bet. When he is finally cleared to wear the Nigeria jersey, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ola Aina is the best skilled and schooled RB we have on the team ATM. The best overall Nigerian RB potentially is Nura Abdulahi, if Nura starts playing for Roma next season it'll be lights out for everybody else on our RB list.
OCCUPY NFF!!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
mystic wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Wow! Mikel Agu walked straight in and helped himself to a shirt like a boss. :clap: :clap:

No surprise here.

Really! Is he that good? Btw Mr Mystic, u still owe us a depth chart . It's been over a yr since got one from u. Abeg do better one so we can start to remove the useless players from the ballers. :thumbs:
Yes
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley