Challenges: Rohr and Nigeria's Crowded Midfield

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Challenges: Rohr and Nigeria's Crowded Midfield

Post by Dammy »

Obong wrote:Meanwhile, can someone please tell "Mikel" Agu that there can only be one Mikel? I would rather he reverts to Michael, rather than try to confuse fans with the Mikelizing of his baptismal name. There is only one Odogwu of the Super Eagles and he is Mikel Obi!
Obong, Agu's real name is Mikel while boywonder's real name is Michael. :biggrin:
I am happy
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

maceo4 wrote:
Sheikh wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I don't think there's a crowded mf at all, its all a matter of class. Obviously, Mikel,Ndidi and Onazi are a class above the rest. For all the noise about Etebo, the only time we ever hear about him doing something on the grass is when he comes to camp and runs his butt off. If he's to ward off the likes of Mikel Agu, Ogu and Onazi, he's going to have to start puttng up the stats.

Iwobi and Moses will walk into any SE team if things remaIn as they are today. Cannot compare them to those with potential that are playing for tiny clubs.

The Only real potential disruption I see could come from Mikel Agu. If he gets a starting shirt at Porto and performs to his potential even Ndidi 's may not be a sure starter. The likes of Ogu and Esiti are much needed. These are specialty layers would not not play when there's a need for their skills in a tournament like AFCON or wc.
Onazi has done very well for the country but if we were to leave out sentiments and be objective it would be hard to include him in the squad. Rohr's preferred formation suggests 6 DMs/CMs should be in his squad. Objectively, Ndidi, Agu, Etebo, Mikel, Ogu and Esiti should be above Onazi. Perhaps, based merely on experience and team dynamics, he should be there instead of Esiti But not the starting XI. By next season, Alhassan, Nwakali and Azubuike could strongly be pushing for a place too. It remains to be seen, whether Mikel would not be on the decline by then too.
Agu, Ogu, and Esiti based on what? You want to replace someone with over 40 caps who is barely in his prime with guys who have a handful of caps? Why exactly again? They can all fight it out, I trust Rohr to pick the right combination, but I hate to break it to you guys, but Mikel and Onazi are still our best central midfielders. Even Ndidi (who is my boy and I love his game) will find it hard to displace them when they are fully fit. Theres no substitute for experience that can bring calmness when things are rocky.
Based on watching his games at Trabzonspor and his most recent games for SE. I like him too (and also for his tenacity and team spirit) but one has to be dispassionate about these things. He has declined from 3 years back; particularly his timing of his tackles and his passing. Don't let 40+ caps sway your judgement. A player should be as good as his most recent games.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

papilo wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Sheikh wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I don't think there's a crowded mf at all, its all a matter of class. Obviously, Mikel,Ndidi and Onazi are a class above the rest. For all the noise about Etebo, the only time we ever hear about him doing something on the grass is when he comes to camp and runs his butt off. If he's to ward off the likes of Mikel Agu, Ogu and Onazi, he's going to have to start puttng up the stats.

Iwobi and Moses will walk into any SE team if things remaIn as they are today. Cannot compare them to those with potential that are playing for tiny clubs.

The Only real potential disruption I see could come from Mikel Agu. If he gets a starting shirt at Porto and performs to his potential even Ndidi 's may not be a sure starter. The likes of Ogu and Esiti are much needed. These are specialty layers would not not play when there's a need for their skills in a tournament like AFCON or wc.
Onazi has done very well for the country but if we were to leave out sentiments and be objective it would be hard to include him in the squad. Rohr's preferred formation suggests 6 DMs/CMs should be in his squad. Objectively, Ndidi, Agu, Etebo, Mikel, Ogu and Esiti should be above Onazi. Perhaps, based merely on experience and team dynamics, he should be there instead of Esiti But not the starting XI. By next season, Alhassan, Nwakali and Azubuike could strongly be pushing for a place too. It remains to be seen, whether Mikel would not be on the decline by then too.
Agu, Ogu, and Esiti based on what? You want to replace someone with over 40 caps who is barely in his prime with guys who have a handful of caps? Why exactly again? They can all fight it out, I trust Rohr to pick the right combination, but I hate to break it to you guys, but Mikel and Onazi are still our best central midfielders. Even Ndidi (who is my boy and I love his game) will find it hard to displace them when they are fully fit. Theres no substitute for experience that can bring calmness when things are rocky.
Unfortunately this is true
Fortunately, this is a bloody lie! Onazi cannot clean Ndidi's boots and Mikel, at this point, in central midfield is not as good as Ndidi. Mikel is more valuable to us because he brings experience, intelligence and absolute fantastic technical ability. But Ndidi is currently performing better.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The YeyeMan wrote:Ndidi > Onazi

Ndidid >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Onazi
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

danfo driver wrote:
papilo wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Sheikh wrote:

Fortunately, this is a bloody lie! Onazi cannot clean Ndidi's boots and Mikel, at this point, in central midfield is not as good as Ndidi. Mikel is more valuable to us because he brings experience, intelligence and absolute fantastic technical ability. But Ndidi is currently performing better.
I personally prefer Ndidi to Onazi. Infact I prefer Mikel Agu and John Ogu to Onazi but Onazi has a few more international caps and he has been around for some time. His experience is valuable. As for Mikel, he is not just our best midfielder at the moment, having watched all the games under the new manager, I can boldly say he is our best player at the moment and to be honest, hate or love him, he has been for a few years now.
yes o
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

I confess that I haven't watched enough of Mikel Agu to form an opinion so I will disclaim.

Etebo has played in midfield but I haven't seen enough of him in the CM role. I do see him more as an attacking type player or a player with a somewhat free role to use his energy to roam, destroy, create and score. That definition suggests box to box CM possibility but again, I haven't seen enough of him in that role to form an opinion. Credible midfield option? Yes. Sure banker starter (assuming all are available)? No.

Wrt to John Ogu, my personal opnion (he likely will disagree) is that his skill set is somewhat similar to Mikel Obi who surely is a more quality player than Ogu so I don't see him as a starter absent injuries to others.

That leaves us with really only 3 bona fide MF players: Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi. If Rohr starts 3 midfielders, they pick themselves. But if he prefers 2 midfielders (appears to be his preference from the 2 WCQs) it will be Mikel plus either Ndidi or Onazi. On paper, Ndidi is the most qualified of the three if level of competition and game time are the only considerations. But its not that straight forward given each player has strengths and weaknesses:
1. Mikel is the best of the 3 wrt technical football ability but is lowest on box to box range and stamina.
2. Onazi is the best of the 3 wrt to box to box range and stamina but lowest on technical football ability.
3. Ndidi is somewhere in between Mikel and Onazi: Techincal ability is good and box to box / stamina good enough.

So as a coach, its a question of which two or three players best complement each other to max their strengths and mitigate their weaknesses. For me, if Rohr can find a way to integrate all 3 into the starting midfield, it will make us more compact, balanced and improve our ability to control games better. In those two games we won vs zambia and algeria, we started well then lost control in the second half. That's not good enough notwithstanding max points obtained from the 2 games.

Any other midfield option not discussed is a squad option at best. My 2 cents.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Compared to the Olofinjana days, we are blessed. Good teams rely on versatile midfielders that have movement, IQ and excellent range. Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu pack bullets/missiles. Ndidi is the best on current form and least experienced. Mikel (The fake one) and Esiti are back ups.

In the play position, I would either use Alex or Mikel (The real one), depending on whether its a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3-. Mu'Azam is the deputy.

Is the advanced free midfielder role, it would have to be Etebo.

The defence will likely field the experienced three and add Awaziem. Troost, Uwa and Omeruo. I have bad memories of an unfit Omeruo slipping against Ranti in Uyo. Thank God for Sone that day.

I must say that since 1994/96, this is the first time that no one can predict whether a striker or a midfielder will score for Nigeria. We have lots of explosiveness, speed, strength and if you call these are the ingredients for explosive counter attacking football and deceptive movement.

My only concern is the man in the sticks. South Africa can shoot but Akpeyi should know them all from the Sunday Sunday league. :)
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

green4life wrote:I confess that I haven't watched enough of Mikel Agu to form an opinion so I will disclaim.

Etebo has played in midfield but I haven't seen enough of him in the CM role. I do see him more as an attacking type player or a player with a somewhat free role to use his energy to roam, destroy, create and score. That definition suggests box to box CM possibility but again, I haven't seen enough of him in that role to form an opinion. Credible midfield option? Yes. Sure banker starter (assuming all are available)? No.

Wrt to John Ogu, my personal opnion (he likely will disagree) is that his skill set is somewhat similar to Mikel Obi who surely is a more quality player than Ogu so I don't see him as a starter absent injuries to others.

That leaves us with really only 3 bona fide MF players: Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi. If Rohr starts 3 midfielders, they pick themselves. But if he prefers 2 midfielders (appears to be his preference from the 2 WCQs) it will be Mikel plus either Ndidi or Onazi. On paper, Ndidi is the most qualified of the three if level of competition and game time are the only considerations. But its not that straight forward given each player has strengths and weaknesses:
1. Mikel is the best of the 3 wrt technical football ability but is lowest on box to box range and stamina.
2. Onazi is the best of the 3 wrt to box to box range and stamina but lowest on technical football ability.
3. Ndidi is somewhere in between Mikel and Onazi: Techincal ability is good and box to box / stamina good enough.

So as a coach, its a question of which two or three players best complement each other to max their strengths and mitigate their weaknesses. For me, if Rohr can find a way to integrate all 3 into the starting midfield, it will make us more compact, balanced and improve our ability to control games better. In those two games we won vs zambia and algeria, we started well then lost control in the second half. That's not good enough notwithstanding max points obtained from the 2 games.

Any other midfield option not discussed is a squad option at best. My 2 cents.
-Onazi and Ndidi comparison would only happen if Onazi is gunning for the DM position which is not his primary position.
-Onazi and Mikel comparison would happen if ROhr plans on deploying Mikel to the CM role. Ofcourse, Onazi takes the bench.
-Mikel and Etebo comparison would only happen if Rohr plans on deploying a man at the top of the DM and CM which he did against Algeria. Iwobi is also a prime consideration for this position.

Mikel Agu would be backup to Ndidi, Onazi and Mikel in the DM/CM role. He played all of Setubal's matches last season and made it to team of the week over 3 times. He might just break into the Porto first team next season. He is a LEGIT BACKUP.

John Ogu is a CM. He is big and very strong and he would only be used when muscle is needed. Unfortunately, he might end up in China very soon and he would be Rohr'd.

As for Etebo, I liked what i saw against Egypt and Algeria. He has the engine to run and run, cover space, close down players, score and pass. Very good qualities for a CM. 1 more season in Europe and he might be just who we looking for in the CM position (and maybe AM). But time would tell.

Onazi is a hot choice. hot choice for Nigeria. Onazi moved to Turkey mainly bcos of poor and delayed wages from Lazio. Trabzonspor is like a transition camp for him. He believes he belongs to the top and thats why he refused massive money from China. Lets see how it goes next season. He might just be the hottest CM out there.

So like Danfo Driver said, and unlike my big brother Enugu, The midfield is not crowded. The most viable options are Ndidi, Agu, Onazi, Mikel, Etebo, Iwobi. Seems like ROhr rates these midfielders above Uche Agbo that was dropped and later called back. Uche Agbo remains on that team because he is backup CD (taking the 4th spot but lost out when Awaziem came correct) and back up DM (but lost out when Mikel Agu showed stuff). I am sure he was only called back because he knows the team and would easily slot into CD and DM when one of the CD or DMs cant make it to the SE due to injury, etc.

The likes of Esiti etc would have to fight their way in.
Last edited by chief nfachairman on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Nice analysis guys, these are indeed interesting times in the SE.
I am happy
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

papilo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
papilo wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Sheikh wrote:

I personally prefer Ndidi to Onazi. Infact I prefer Mikel Agu and John Ogu to Onazi but Onazi has a few more international caps and he has been around for some time. His experience is valuable. As for Mikel, he is not just our best midfielder at the moment, having watched all the games under the new manager, I can boldly say he is our best player at the moment and to be honest, hate or love him, he has been for a few years now.
I absolutely will NOT advocate for the dropping of Onazi, AT THIS POINT. His move to that useless club/leagues angered me (same as Omeruo). However, he is much better than Ogu. I have NEVER seen Agu play.

I was just correcting the lie that Onzai is better than Ndidi. One of them failed at Lazio and was offloaded to a Turkish club. No one with repute came in for him, not even Fenerbache, Bekistas or Galatasaray. The other one was playing in Belgium and the league champions of England paid a huge fee to beg him to come. The difference is clear.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

nzeogwu wrote:Compared to the Olofinjana days, we are blessed. Good teams rely on versatile midfielders that have movement, IQ and excellent range. Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu pack bullets/missiles. Ndidi is the best on current form and least experienced. Mikel (The fake one) and Esiti are back ups.

In the play position, I would either use Alex or Mikel (The real one), depending on whether its a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3-. Mu'Azam is the deputy.

The defence will likely field the experienced three and add Awaziem. Troost, Uwa and Omeruo. I have bad memories of an unfit Omeruo slipping against Ranti in Uyo. Thank God for Sone that day.

I must say that since 1994/96, this is the first time that no one can predict whether a striker or a midfielder will score for Nigeria. We have lots of explosiveness, speed, strength and if you call these are the ingredients for explosive counter attacking football and deceptive movement.

My only concern is the man in the sticks. South Africa can shoot but Akpeyi should know them all from the Sunday Sunday league. :)

You know what? After reading your first line, I change my tune o! We are crowded in midfield these days. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Dammy wrote:Nice analysis guys, these are indeed interesting times in the SE.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

danfo driver wrote:
papilo wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
papilo wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Sheikh wrote:

I absolutely will NOT advocate for the dropping of Onazi, AT THIS POINT. His move to that useless club/leagues angered me (same as Omeruo). However, he is much better than Ogu. I have NEVER seen Agu play.

I was just correcting the lie that Onzai is better than Ndidi. One of them failed at Lazio and was offloaded to a Turkish club. No one with repute came in for him, not even Fenerbache, Bekistas or Galatasaray. The other one was playing in Belgium and the league champions of England paid a huge fee to beg him to come. The difference is clear.
I have pointed this out previously in another thread, last season, Onazi regained his starters place in Lazio when a new coach came in. Lazio did not want Onazi to leave and even offered him improved terms but Onazi was determined to quit. I think he had some personal issues at Lazio and alluded to it a series of tweets. With the impending transfer of Ifeanyi Matthew to Anderlecht and Esiti to PSG, Onazi has to move back to a top league.
I am happy
Sheikh
Egg
Egg

Post by Sheikh »

danfo driver wrote:
nzeogwu wrote:Compared to the Olofinjana days, we are blessed. Good teams rely on versatile midfielders that have movement, IQ and excellent range. Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu pack bullets/missiles. Ndidi is the best on current form and least experienced. Mikel (The fake one) and Esiti are back ups.

You know what? After reading your first line, I change my tune o! We are crowded in midfield these days. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
There are also Kelechi Nwakali and Azubuike Okechukwu. Both could be in contention by next season. Interesting times ahead; the luxury of which we have never had.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote:[/video]

Thank you, but thunder faya you! I have a report due at work this afternoon and you go post link! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

once again , una dey funny, Onazi is team captain and will captain the SE vs SA.... Mikel and Onazi will always start when both are fit . so make una leave matter... just saw a facebook live video with Colins, he had Onazi, ken, Henry Troost Uwa etc.. very funny
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:once again , una dey funny, Onazi is team captain and will captain the SE vs SA.... Mikel and Onazi will always start when both are fit . so make una leave matter... just saw a facebook live video with Colins, he had Onazi, ken, Henry Troost Uwa etc.. very funny
No mind them talking about this club and that when we are talking about the SE. Onazi is a sure starter, Ndidi isn't yet...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

You can add Ifeanyi Matthew (likely to move to RSC Anderletch) into the mix...
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

paj wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:We need Mikel ASAP
mumu..dem sey midfield crowded now U wan add pesin PLUS wheelchair inside.. :boo: U need to go get ya brain unfried..
Pa :boo:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The bobo na wah!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.