John Ogu speaks on Eagles, Rohr, transfer, and more

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg
John Ogu speaks on Eagles, Rohr, transfer, and more

Post by chief nfachairman »

SCORENigeria takes on Eagles midfielder John Ogu on a wide-range of issues – from the current young Eagles, coach Gernot Rohr, transfer rumours and another championship-winning season in Israel.

Excerpts:

Sometime last year we spoke and we talked about the growth of Nigeria league and you hinted you might want to end you career in Nigeria league club, one year later, do you still think that you want to play in the Nigeria league before you hang up your boots?

Yes, for sure, I have this on my mind and I’ll keep saying this before I hang my boots I’ll play in our league so as to promote the league, I think this is the right time for us to do this because if you watch the Brazilians that’s what they do, they go back to their country and make their country’s football league big.

I think we have to learn how to do this. I know that before I end my career, I’ll definitely play in the Nigeria league even if it’s for six months

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The interview:

SCORENIGERIA: Congratulations John Ogu, your club Hapoel Be’er Sheva of Israel have again won the league. How does it make you feel being a champion once again in Israel?

JOHN OGU: Well, it makes me feel great, it makes me feel that all my work and efforts were not in vain. We fought hard from the start of the season, we had a lot of games – Champions League, Europa League, league cup, super cup – but then we knew it was going to be tough because we have teams like Maccabi Tel Aviv and Betar Jerusalem (to contend with).

We wanted to win every title, overall it was a great season for me.

Credit goes to the team, the staff, the medical team, everyone played their part for us to become the champions. It was something great to win the league back-to-back second time in my career, it was something big.

Winning the league automatically qualifies you to play in the qualification stage of the UEFA Champions League this season, is it something you are looking forward to? Last season, you played in the Europa League, you played very well, but somehow you didn’t make it to the crucial stages.

It’s something I am really looking forward to because last year we almost got to play in the Champions League group stage, we just needed one goal against Celtic, but that one has taught us a big lesson, now we are looking forward to the new season.

It’s going to be tough as well, but with the quality we have in our team now and with the support we get in every game from our fans, I think we can make it happen, but then we need to work hard because it’s really going to be difficult to achieve this if we don’t work hard.

Everybody is looking forward to this opportunity because last year gave us the belief that we can do it this year, so the players and the coaches have that belief that we can make it to the Champions League group stage this year.

John, the transfer window is wide open now, a lot of movements here and there, even some of your team mates here in the Super Eagles are involved. Will Ogu be moving this summer?

For me, I keep saying that I am always open to challenges but I feel like if any club really want me, they have to be professional and speak to my club as I have got two years left on my contract with my club.

I almost left in the January transfer window, I had offers from Real Betis, but my club chose not to let me go because they felt that if they allowed me leave, we might not achieve what we just did this year.

I am open to every challenge. I just want to play football, I just want to be happy when I am on the pitch, I just want to give my best when I am on the pitch so, it’s going to be a big one for me if I leave, but I just leave everything in God’s hands. If God feels it’s time for me to leave, I’ll surely leave.

Talking about the movement, there have been interest from China, big money there, a lot of Super Eagles players are there these days, are you also looking forward to moving to China?

Well, the truth is that it’s easy to speak about it now, I could tell you now that I want to play in China, I don’t know what would happen tomorrow. Like I said, I just want to play football, I just want to be on the pitch and use my talent to make people happy.

I am a social media person, I’ll definitely post it out there for everyone to see that this is where I am moving to, right now I just want to be focused on Hapoel Be’er Sheva.

I respect everyone, the fans, the support is massive.

Long interview. read all on http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/06/09/j ... ng-season/
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: John Ogu speaks on Eagles, Rohr, transfer, and more

Post by metalalloy »

Nice interview. Correct Naija representative!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: John Ogu speaks on Eagles, Rohr, transfer, and more

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

correct guy! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).